The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Airlsee

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Post by Airlsee »

Nice Ruger, I would like to find a good deal on a used one.

I wish people would chill on the ammo hoarding for a little while. This is like the COVID toilet paper month that never ends...

Prices on common ammo is starting to slowly creep down, but I honestly think it will be years before the market is saturated again.
So it goes.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 2:00 pm
I love it. I kinda wanted the 2.25 barrel but 3 inch will do, pros and cons for both. Now I just need to find some magnum that isn't $30+ a box :rolleyes:

It's used but the price was fair. Gotta replace that grip and I may swap out for a smooth hammer and probably swap the front sight, we'll see.
Very nice David!
I've went exclusively to .357 Magnum/.38 & .45 Auto and of course .223 & .308
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 7:27 am
Sucks about the timing issue, but I can sympathize. Many years ago I bought a used 4" Colt Python. It was beautiful, and the trigger pull was smooth as silk. Sadly it started to go out of time as it started spitting lead when I fired it. Looking around there were **** few gunsmiths that I trusted to do a good job, and those I found were not cheap. End of the day I ended up selling it for what I bought it for at least.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Last Handgun I bought was actually a duo:

First up was a Taurus in .32 S&W Long. Love it. These handloads were printing 1.5" at 50 ft. It's a pre-1982 model but locks up tight and timing is great. Easily passes a range rod test as does the Ruger.

Since I like .32's, I also got this Ruger 32 H&R Mag.

vivi

Post by vivi »

Just got the call from my local gun shop. Heading out to go pick up this S&W + some ammo :D

:unicorn
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Wellllll.... I just bought a 1980's 10ga double barrel and 400 rounds of ammo. Going to cut it down to 22in barrels and put Remington screw-in chokes in. Will be a handy turkey gun or a beastly home defense gun....

Lol...looking in my ammo stash I found a half case of 10ga slugs so I might just add rifle sights and make a poor man's African double rifle out of it.

Yes, my mind works in odd ways.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:25 am
Wellllll.... I just bought a 1980's 10ga double barrel and 400 rounds of ammo. Going to cut it down to 22in barrels and put Remington screw-in chokes in. Will be a handy turkey gun or a beastly home defense gun....

Lol...looking in my ammo stash I found a half case of 10ga slugs so I might just add rifle sights and make a poor man's African double rifle out of it.

Pics!!!!! :D
My Uncle has a 10 gauge.
Would be really cool to see some before and after pics Jim.
The blasting power of a 10ga.......oh brother.....
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I had an NEF single shot ten gauge. It was all camo. I used it for turkey. I sold it when I bought my Mossberg 835. I wanted something I could use for both turkey and geese. Considering how little I sold it for I wish I still had it. Of course that was about 20 years ago.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Nice Sp101 D! I have a 3” as well and love it.

Honestly, the Sp101 is a brick and to heavy for pocket carry so once you take that into account the 3” is the better option. I do have a pocket holster for it but I usually carry it in a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake Holster. It can be carried either IWB or OWB.

I put Altamont inserts in my grip. I believe they are a factory grip provider for both Smith and Ruger.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:36 pm
Nice Sp101 D! I have a 3” as well and love it.

Honestly, the Sp101 is a brick and to heavy for pocket carry so once you take that into account the 3” is the better option. I do have a pocket holster for it but I usually carry it in a Simply Rugged Silver Dollar Pancake Holster. It can be carried either IWB or OWB.

I put Altamont inserts in my grip. I believe they are a factory grip provider for both Smith and Ruger.

Yeah they are, I was just admiring some of their grips today. I think you're right it's a bit too heavy for pocket so 3 inch should at least give a little more usable sight radius.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Tell ya what fellas, my GRAIL is a Smith 3.5" model 27
But, they're so very pricey......they'll pop up in like new condition on GB, but they usually go for over 2 grand.
I just can't do that.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I'm most likely going to cave on a 340PD eventually. It's the most illogical gun purchase I think I'll ever make but I think it's an itch that will have to be scratched or I'm going to obsess over it forever.
~David
bearfacedkiller

That’s a winner D. Not illogical at all. I have a 360 and love it. J frames are great for pocket carry. Most pocket pistols struggle with reliability but not these little wheelguns.
-Darby
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:51 am
I'm most likely going to cave on a 340PD eventually. It's the most illogical gun purchase I think I'll ever make but I think it's an itch that will have to be scratched or I'm going to obsess over it forever.
It's a solid choice and you don't have to run full house magnums through it. I mean, you will, just to see what it's like. :)
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:34 am
Evil D wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 2:51 am
It's a solid choice and you don't have to run full house magnums through it. I mean, you will, just to see what it's like. :)

Oh without a doubt, and the hottest loads I can find too because that's my kind of stupid :D
~David
bearfacedkiller

I have put some pretty hot loads through my 360. I have put some hot 180’s through it. I am not recoil sensitive at all but it feels like you are catching a baseball bat. Ten full power rounds is about all I’ll do at a time. More than that and my hand starts shaking. I do carry it with .357 in it.
-Darby
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Talking about real Full Power or Hot ammo, makes me wander if Underwood Ammo has anything in stock now......
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

None of their good stuff is in stock.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 12:09 pm
OldHoosier62 wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:25 am

Pics!!!!! :D
My Uncle has a 10 gauge.
Would be really cool to see some before and after pics Jim.
The blasting power of a 10ga.......oh brother.....

As soon as I get it in hand (it's coming from a buddy in Wyoming) I'll post a couple of before pictures before I lop it off and send the barrels out for choke install. Trying to find out if I can convert the extractors to ejectors (some can, some can't). Already have a sling, swivels, a complete set of 10ga RemChokes and after scrounging in my big box of parts/pieces/scraps/junque.....an old set of express sights with a ramped ivory front bead.

I did the same treatment to an American Arms 12ge SxS around 2003 and ended up building about 6 of them for customers because everyone went nuts over them...This ones just going to be a steroid fueled version just for me. Something to keep me busy.

OH62
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:01 pm
None of their good stuff is in stock.
Yup. Your exactly right.
I checked a while ago too.
I really do like Underwood though.
They're ammo most times is even faster than they say it is.