The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Post by MacLaren »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:39 pm

Technically, this is not a new gun. It's an old gun with a makeover. The new grip module is from Wilson Combat, and the trigger is Armory Craft. I was a little concerned about taking apart the Fire Control Unit, but there were a couple YouTube videos. I'm really glad I watched them. A relatively simple parts swap could have turned into quite the debacle had I just jumped right in.

Before:

IMG_5808.jpeg

Mid-Project:

IMG_5830.jpeg

After:

IMG_5833.jpeg
Good deal. Those youtube videos really do help a lot!
remnar

Post by remnar »

RustyIron wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 5:39 pm

Technically, this is not a new gun. It's an old gun with a makeover. The new grip module is from Wilson Combat, and the trigger is Armory Craft. I was a little concerned about taking apart the Fire Control Unit, but there were a couple YouTube videos. I'm really glad I watched them. A relatively simple parts swap could have turned into quite the debacle had I just jumped right in.

That's really nice Rusty. I already have the armory craft trigger and I like it a lot. How does the new frame feel? It looks a little thicker than the original, which is both good and bad. :thinking
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

remnar wrote:
Sun Apr 10, 2022 9:08 pm

That's really nice Rusty. I already have the armory craft trigger and I like it a lot. How does the new frame feel? It looks a little thicker than the original, which is both good and bad. :thinking

The new grip module seems to be an improvement over the original. I thought the factory module was too narrow. It needed some palm swell. The rough texturing was irritating when the gun was carried IWB.

I went with the Wilson because they have a long track record of making products with great ergonomics and high quality. The new module has a high-cut beavertail, which allows the gun to sit substantially lower in my hand. The pattern is VERY grippy, but it did fine IWB for a couple hours this afternoon. I added 46 grams of tungsten to the module, as well.

Handling the gun here in the house, everything seems to be an improvement. I haven't shot it yet, but it will be one of the guns I'm qualifying with on Tuesday. If I wasn't confident it would work well for me, I would have waited until AFTER Tuesday.

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I hear ya about Wilson Combat. +1
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

It is more and more difficult to keep up with you youngsters.
For example, who knew that the serial numbered part was no longer the grip frame
aka pistol receiver but only the internal fire control unit.
That provides infinite possibilities.

Not to detract from the elegance of modular pistol design,
but the immortal words of John Moses Browning came to mind.
Upon observing the Luger toggle-lock action with its jointed arm
Browning asked "Where does one put the cheese".

It was a simpler age when I was a youth.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Mad Mac wrote:
Mon Apr 11, 2022 7:14 am

It was a simpler age when I was a youth.
Indeed. Everything was simpler, while being more complicated.

With a 1911, you can see everything, understand what it does, and why it's there. And back in those days, you had to understand, because everything had to be fitted and tuned to run properly.

With this Sig FCU, it's mind-blowing how a few simple stamped parts can fit together in such a small space and actually perform a very precise and complex function. It reminds me of the little puzzles I had 50+ years ago that would only come apart one way, and could only be assembled one way. FCU's are like a child's puzzle

Knives are no different. On my desk I'm looking at a Native 5 LW and a 60 year old Ka-Bar folder. The Ka-Bar is a simple knife for simpler times. But the Native 5 is truly an example of elegance in its simplicity. It is magnificent in its simplicity. But if you were to ask any of the elves in Sal's Workshop, they might tell you that it's very, very complicated creating an apparently simple knife.

Or maybe it's just us who are simple, to become so enamored with 1911's, FCU's, back locks, compression locks, carbides, edge angles, and all sorts of other mechanical trinkets.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

All my whining about double-action and striker fired polymer pistols...
Now look what you've gone and made me do.

Kimber Micro 9 Two Tone
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Half Sack
Location: Alberta, undisclosed location of the Weapon Plus Program

Post by Half Sack »

To whom it may concern,
This is to inform you that your transfer has been approved and your Transfer Notification is attached.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Hey guys & gals, if yall like leather holsters, then check out Simply Rugged. The fine folk out in Prescott, Arizona made this for me. It's their Sourdough Pancake Holster w/Chesty Puller Syatem.
It's just immaculate, imo. I may do a thread on it.
At any rate, here's some pics
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Beautiful rig, MacLaren.
His website is a treat for the eye, too.
https://www.simplyrugged.com/
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mad Mac wrote:
Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:00 pm
Beautiful rig, MacLaren.
His website is a treat for the eye, too.
https://www.simplyrugged.com/
Thank you, Mac.
I'm gonna order a Cuda as well.
RevMike

Post by RevMike »

Got myself a birthday gift. It's a Fusion Firearms Goblin. I'm a sucker for wood and lever-actions. Add that to the fact that a 12 gauge shotgun is perhaps the most useful all-around invention since the knife and there was no question.

I've never heard of the brand before but it is American made, real walnut, and what at least to me seems like a pretty bulletproof action.

Can't wait to get out and try it.

404 :bug-red-white s in 81 steel flavors.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

RevMike wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 7:49 pm
Got myself a birthday gift. It's a Fusion Firearms Goblin. I'm a sucker for wood and lever-actions. Add that to the fact that a 12 gauge shotgun is perhaps the most useful all-around invention since the knife and there was no question.

I've never heard of the brand before but it is American made, real walnut, and what at least to me seems like a pretty bulletproof action.

Can't wait to get out and try it.

Dude! That is just waaaay cool!!
Please keep us posted with pics and info!
& A big congratulations 🎊
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Hot dam! Got me a Beretta 1301 :smiling-heart-eyes
Best handling shotgun ever.......it's so frickin neat.....
benben

Post by benben »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed May 04, 2022 9:03 pm
Very nice! Is this Beretta a model you've always wanted? Just curious if you done any comparison shopping / reviewing with a Benelli M4 or the like?

Been toying with the idea of a semi, I'm still in country boy mode with an old 590-A1 pump.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Got a pair:

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

benben wrote:
Thu May 05, 2022 1:59 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Very nice! Is this Beretta a model you've always wanted? Just curious if you done any comparison shopping / reviewing with a Benelli M4 or the like?

Been toying with the idea of a semi, I'm still in country boy mode with an old 590-A1 pump.
Thanks Ben
From what I see to mean everything Ive read, this Beretta 1301 Tactical is a better shotgun than the Benelli M4. Actually they say it's the best shotgun on the planet. Especially with a Nordic MXT +2 Extension and a Magpul stock.
Which is exactly what I plan to do.
Ben, the 1301 is super fast. Heck I measured the trigger pull at 4 and a half pounds. But, they also say she'll cycle any and everything too....
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

benben wrote:
MacLaren wrote:

It's an excellent weapon. I put the final touch on mine this afternoon with a Surefire Scout Pro and tape switch. I have the Magpul stock, forend,and Aimpoint red dot mounted on an Aridus Industries Crom. I also have a side saddle from Aridus. Check those guys out. They have great stuff to take your 1301 to another level.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

T.J. wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 4:22 pm
benben wrote:
MacLaren wrote:

It's an excellent weapon. I put the final touch on mine this afternoon with a Surefire Scout Pro and tape switch. I have the Magpul stock, forend,and Aimpoint red dot mounted on an Aridus Industries Crom. I also have a side saddle from Aridus. Check those guys out. They have great stuff to take your 1301 to another level.
Awesome, TJ!
Can I see some pics, please?
Btw, I have the Magpul Stock en route, and ordered the adapter from Aridus. Not sure when it will ship. Already have the Nordic MXT +2.
Thinking very seriously about a Streamlight X300
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun May 08, 2022 4:35 pm
T.J. wrote:
Fri May 06, 2022 4:22 pm
benben wrote:
MacLaren wrote:

Awesome, TJ!
Can I see some pics, please?
Btw, I have the Magpul Stock en route, and ordered the adapter from Aridus. Not sure when it will ship. Already have the Nordic MXT +2.
Thinking very seriously about a Streamlight X300
I'll take some pics and get them posted next week.