The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Post by MacLaren »

Going back to this GLFA AR15, I really like it.
Shoots flawlessly and is a tack driver!
Hard to believe these were to be had for under $600 before now. Heck, I may wind up getting another.
My brother in law bought a pair of S&W Sport II's for himself and his son. But, the Smith doesn't have a 4150 barrel, nor is it free floated, the hammer is mim, as where the GLFA is not. The Smith is 1:9 twist, the GLFA 1:8 - this little GLFA is a great value. Now, I realize why out of 32 reviews on the Guide, that 31 reviews are 5 Stars and 1 4 Stars. Also many say this GLFA is as good as one that are x3 the cost. And, I'm not trying to hype this up or brag, it just seems to really be a Diamond in the Rough - if you will. Plus, they're all made in the State of Michigan. I think these people are really trying to make a great name for themselves and to further evolve. And, imo, they're doing it.
Also, I ordered a set of 45° offset flip up sights are they are really nice! Cost was $46 - they are aluminum if not mistaken. But, then again take this little review with a grain of salt as I'm a real novice with AR rifles. I've ever only had but 3 in my life. A Sig M400, Armalite M15, and this GLFA. ( I do not count my CZ Bren 805 PS1 as an AR, because its not ) At any rate, here's to the Good people of Sparta,MI for producing imo, a dam fine rifle at a very, very, good price.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

gac wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:24 pm
I've been wanting to buy a birthday gun but not much seems to be in stock. I stopped by a Fleet Farm and looked at a P365 and it is too small for me. I'd like to get the XL version.
The larger XL grip frame is readily available and is an easy swap on the modular P365. Of course, you still have the shorter standard slide and barrel.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:01 am
gac wrote:
Mon Jan 25, 2021 10:24 pm
I've been wanting to buy a birthday gun but not much seems to be in stock. I stopped by a Fleet Farm and looked at a P365 and it is too small for me. I'd like to get the XL version.
The larger XL grip frame is readily available and is an easy swap on the modular P365. Of course, you still have the shorter standard slide and barrel.
Good advice!
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Man that's nice! I understand the chamber mod now and it makes sense especially if you intend to make use of the heavier bullets and maybe even do some match and target shooting. All I've owned were chambered 5.56 and while accurate enough for what I do they would never be as accurate with match bullets most used today. Mine were/are Colt made and had chrome chambers and barrel also . I also used to have an early SP1 with 1-12 twist which was limited to lighter bullets but changed that out a while back. Mine now has the 1 in 7 twist.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Mastiff wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:17 am
Man that's nice! I understand the chamber mod now and it makes sense especially if you intend to make use of the heavier bullets and maybe even do some match and target shooting. All I've owned were chambered 5.56 and while accurate enough for what I do they would never be as accurate with match bullets most used today. Mine were/are Colt made and had chrome chambers and barrel also . I also used to have an early SP1 with 1-12 twist which was limited to lighter bullets but changed that out a while back. Mine now has the 1 in 7 twist.
Thanx Joe!
Its quite the little rifle for the money
I prefer the 1:7 twist myself. But, does it really matter compared to 1:8? Prolly not much.
My Armalite is 1:8 as well. The Sig I had was 1:7 and my 11" CZ Bren is 1:7 and she's chrome lined if I'm not mistaken.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

None lately, gun shops are empty here. Trying to buy a Gen 5 Glock 19 MOS but I cannot find one locally and I won’t pay $800 on GB plus transfer for a $600 gun. Hopefully this shenanigans doesn’t last forever. :(
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 1:03 pm
None lately, gun shops are empty here. Trying to buy a Gen 5 Glock 19 MOS but I cannot find one locally and I won’t pay $800 on GB plus transfer for a $600 gun. Hopefully this shenanigans doesn’t last forever. :(
I really don't think you'll find one online anyways for less than $700 -.especially a gen 5.
That being said, Sportsmansguide has a G45 right now for $699
This makss me glad I have my G17 already.
bearfacedkiller

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:19 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
I really don't think you'll find one online anyways for less than $700 -.especially a gen 5.
My state has a 15 round limit on handguns so the G17, G34, G19X and G45 are all sold with 10 round mags. Since that is the case and since I have a pile of G19 mags I have no reason to buy any of those models. I’ll stick with the G19 for now.

I bought a G19 gen5 without mos two months ago for $550.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

The Glock 17/19 and 26 especially are probably the most durable and long lasting pistols on the market. Their ergonomics and reliability are pretty amazing too. Aside from the safety on the trigger concept transitioning to one for me took about 10 rounds before I was able to put rounds wherever I wanted them every time. The only problem I've seen at the range has come from people "limp wristing" them which causes jamming. People transitioning from revolvers were usually the ones that did it. The Gen 5 especially the 17/26 are about as no nonsense a pistol as one can get. They aren't as pretty as some though.

Edited to add the G 19 which I forgot to put in.
Last edited by The Mastiff on Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Mastiff wrote:
Thu Jan 28, 2021 6:55 pm
The Glock 17 and 26 especially are probably the most durable and long lasting pistols on the market. Their ergonomics and reliability are pretty amazing too. Aside from the safety on the trigger concept transitioning to one for me took about 10 rounds before I was able to put rounds wherever I wanted them every time. The only problem I've seen at the range has come from people "limp wristing" them which causes jamming. People transitioning from revolvers were usually the ones that did it. The Gen 5 especially the 17/26 are about as no nonsense a pistol as one can get. They aren't as pretty as some though.
I'm no expert, but that was spot on imo Joe.
bearfacedkiller

Did you leave out the 19 for a reason? I see no reason why it would be any different than the 17/26?

Anyway, the hunt for another 19 is on hold. I walked into the local gun shop and scored a great deal on a used but never fired S&W Shield in 45 ACP. :)
-Darby
benben

Post by benben »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 6:20 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Wed Jan 27, 2021 5:19 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
My state has a 15 round limit on handguns so the G17, G34, G19X and G45 are all sold with 10 round mags. Since that is the case and since I have a pile of G19 mags I have no reason to buy any of those models. I’ll stick with the G19 for now.

I bought a G19 gen5 without mos two months ago for $550.
I have a lot of people ask me to recommend them a handgun, people from my work, church, and Dads in my softball circles. I ask them what their plans for this pistol are, range, carry, home defense, all of the above?

7 or 8 out of 10 times I recommend the Glock 19, it’s the jack of all trades in the handgun world, and it does everything very well! It’s the “one” pistol for the guy, or family who is going to have just one handgun in their house!
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Excuse me for interrupting the Glock love fest,
but the second round of CMP 1911A1 pistols opened January 4.
Deadline for applying is March 4.
With this election, there may never be another round.

https://thecmp.org/cmp-set-to-open-seco ... arly-2021/

Here is a link to my previous post in March of 2019 concerning my own experience.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=86006&p=1406984&#p1406984
Last edited by Mad Mac on Sat Jul 03, 2021 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

Did you leave out the 19 for a reason? I see no reason why it would be any different than the 17/26?
You are right. I overlooked it. I had meant to include it.

Joe
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Mastiff wrote:
Fri Jan 29, 2021 10:38 am
You are right. I overlooked it. I had meant to include it.

Joe
Joe, your prolly like me in that the 17 is perfection from Glock. Fits my hand so much better than the 19.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Spotted this brand new in box 9mm Beretta PX4 Storm on GunBroker a week ago Saturday at what was, in today's market, a very reasonable price and couldn't resist the idea of having all three sizes in 9mm. Picked it up from my local gun shop this past Friday.

Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

It hard to deny how good looking those PX4s are. I have also always been curious about that rotating barrel design.
-Darby
bearfacedkiller

Shield 45acp! Saweet!!!

-Darby
vivi

Post by vivi »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 6:29 pm
Shield 45acp! Saweet!!!

nice choice. one of the best edc's out there.
:unicorn
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Nice Shield Darby! I love mine in .40, it goes with me everywhere.

I haven’t bought a new gun in a very long time, but after dad passed I recently just inherited all of his guns and my grandpas. So I got 7 more rifles and a couple more handguns. I don’t think I need anymore for a while, probably be end of year until I can find ammo for a couple of them. Thank god I stockpiled a metric crap ton of ammo a few years ago though for everything else!
Josh