The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JRinFL

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Post by JRinFL »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 8:32 am
JRinFL wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 7:56 am
Seems like a bad time to buying firearms in the US. With demand so high prices are at their highest in years, maybe ever. Not to mention you might be forced to "sell" to the government for pennies on the dollar if some have their way.
Well, ya still grab a good deal on a revolver you've always wanted. I was suprised I got it for what I did....
True. Some revolvers are uncommon enough that you grab them when you can. It's not like they will make more 1970's era S&Ws.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JRinFL wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 8:40 am
MacLaren wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 8:32 am
JRinFL wrote:
Fri May 28, 2021 7:56 am
Seems like a bad time to buying firearms in the US. With demand so high prices are at their highest in years, maybe ever. Not to mention you might be forced to "sell" to the government for pennies on the dollar if some have their way.
Well, ya still grab a good deal on a revolver you've always wanted. I was suprised I got it for what I did....
True. Some revolvers are uncommon enough that you grab them when you can. It's not like they will make more 1970's era S&Ws.
Thanx man
Lol, btw, there still not as bad as buying a used 2500 truck :D :D
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Uuuuuuuuuuuggghhhh. Just had all the paperwork filled out to buy a Ruger SP101 for a sweet price until they realized it was "mislabeled" for about $150 less than they really wanted, and there were two of them in the case and both were priced wrong.

🙄
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Bummer, I love my sp101.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:54 am
Uuuuuuuuuuuggghhhh. Just had all the paperwork filled out to buy a Ruger SP101 for a sweet price until they realized it was "mislabeled" for about $150 less than they really wanted, and there were two of them in the case and both were priced wrong.

🙄
They should have honored the posted price for you and marked the other one up to the proper price.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:18 am
Evil D wrote:

🙄
They should have honored the posted price for you and marked the other one up to the proper price.

I even tried to meet in the middle. Oh well.
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

In some States they would be forced to honor their posted price. I have no idea if KY is one of those. At least they could have offered $150 in store credit.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:30 am
In some States they would be forced to honor their posted price. I have no idea if KY is one of those. At least they could have offered $150 in store credit.

They gave me a free range pass. I told them they're lucky if I'll even shoot here again after that.
~David
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:39 am
JRinFL wrote:

They gave me a free range pass. I told them they're lucky if I'll even shoot here again after that.
The FFL requirement allows a bunch of terrible business owners to stay in business.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:18 am
Evil D wrote:

🙄
Absolutely!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JRinFL wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:42 am
Evil D wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:39 am
JRinFL wrote:

The FFL requirement allows a bunch of terrible business owners to stay in business.
Yup
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:

🙄
They really should've honored that price.
That's really chitty of them to do ya that way.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I'm really happy with the price I got for a S&W 29-2
I got for $1,095.00
Heck, most of them are at the very least $1,800.00
I was just a little leary of it, but it's looks fantastic. I asked if the timing was good. He said it was. But, it does have a 3 day inspection period. And, ya know what, he told me something that really is true. He kinda laughed and said that about every model 29 or variant like -1, -2, etc etc, has had very, very, few rounds thru them. And, it makes sense. Like he said, most people just want the gun that Dirty Harry had but, when they shoot the dam thing, they see that they really ain't Dirty Harry lol.....and he's probably very right. The .44 Magnum packs one helluva punch.
I'm hoping to have her by Saturday latest. I'll post up some pics.
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

MacLaren wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 6:49 pm
I got for $1,095.00
I was just a little leary of it, but it's looks fantastic. I asked if the timing was good. He said it was. But, it does have a 3 day inspection period. And, ya know what, he told me something that really is true. He kinda laughed and said that about every model 29 or variant like -1, -2, etc etc, has had very, very, few rounds thru them. And, it makes sense. Like he said, most people just want the gun that Dirty Harry had but, when they shoot the dam thing, they see that they really ain't Dirty Harry lol.....and he's probably very right. The .44 Magnum packs one helluva punch.

Man I was drooooling over a 340PD but also thinking I'd like to actually enjoy carrying AND shooting it and that thing has got to be the snappiest handgun of all time with .357 in it.
~David
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Jun 01, 2021 8:00 pm
MacLaren wrote:
I got for $1,095.00

Man I was drooooling over a 340PD but also thinking I'd like to actually enjoy carrying AND shooting it and that thing has got to be the snappiest handgun of all time with .357 in it.
I understand that David.
Naturally ya wanna be comfy if your gonna be carrying all day. And, have complete control when shooting it. I haven't carried all day since I worked as a Police Officer. I've never carried a concealed weapon in my life. (Except in the console of my truck, but if I ever get stopped ill just put it in plain view.) So, comfort means nothing to me. I usually have a Glock 17 in the console of my truck.
Now, if I didn't live where I live it would be a different story I think.
And, here lately I've sold A LOT of ammo. I'm down to basically two calibers now ( well 3 since this 44.mag )
I sold all my 9mm, 40 S&W & .357 Sig
Im just gonna have 38./.357 Magnum, .45 Auto & .44 Magnum. If I decide to keep the .44 Magnum and I probably will just because those older Smith revolvers are incredible imo.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

MacLaren wrote:
I got for $1,095.00

Only exception might be if it was owned by someone who loaded their own ammo or shot mostly .44 special. One nice thing about the .44 and .357 magnum cartridges is that they can be loaded with anything from the lightest target loads on up.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

The Deacon wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:22 am
MacLaren wrote:
I got for $1,095.00

Only exception might be if it was owned by someone who loaded their own ammo or shot mostly .44 special. One nice thing about the .44 and .357 magnum cartridges is that they can be loaded with anything from the lightest target loads on up.
Honestly Paul, the darn thing could have 75,000 rounds thru her and I would never know.
I got to thinking about it, and Hickok45 has a 29 that is very,very, nice and he's put at least 75,000 rounds thru her. (I think most of those were 44bspecial rounds) Now, I really doubt that's the case,(with mine) but you can shoot a darn revolver or pistol forever lol.
But, that's a really good point you made.
But, also one other thing, if she's not out of timing like he says, then she prolly hasn't had many HOT Magnum rounds thru her. Those 29's really aren't the best pistol to shoot hot 44 Magnum loads as they will beat their self out of timing. - That's what I was told by an Expert.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Jun 02, 2021 5:43 am
Honestly Paul, the darn thing could have 75,000 rounds thru her and I would never know.
I got to thinking about it, and Hickok45 has a 29 that is very,very, nice and he's put at least 75,000 rounds thru her. (I think most of those were 44bspecial rounds) Now, I really doubt that's the case,(with mine) but you can shoot a darn revolver or pistol forever lol.
But, that's a really good point you made.
But, also one other thing, if she's not out of timing like he says, then she prolly hasn't had many HOT Magnum rounds thru her. Those 29's really aren't the best pistol to shoot hot 44 Magnum loads as they will beat their self out of timing. - That's what I was told by an Expert.

No argument on any of that. Will just add that, if you really like revolvers of a given caliber, it pays to have a timing rod in that caliber and know how to use it. Have only ever found one gun shop that had one, and only a handful where anyone even knew what one was.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Most people don’t shoot that much. My GP100 has probably 7,000 rounds of hot .357s (158s at about 1350) through it and seems like new still. It is definitely my most used gun. I assume the timing is still fine since I can still easily bust clay pigeons off the berm at 50 yards.

Most guns don’t have enough ammo through them to be worn out.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Ammo prices in the "old days" were high enough that most could not afford to put high round counts on their guns. Prices now are so bad most things will remain NIB for a long time.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001