The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
troutinCO

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Post by troutinCO »

Sweet rifle! Sweet round!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

xavierdoc wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2023 6:19 am
No proper handguns for us in the UK >:[ so hopefully a rifle counts:

Marlin 1895 GSBL in 45-70, which I've cursed by bolting on tacticool trinkets:

The large meplat, 460gr Mjöllnir bullet knocks things over pretty well:

That's awesome.....heavy hitter too!
Great pics.
Thank you for sharing that!
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Clever firearm challenged Brit.
More than one way to skin a cat.
I like it.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
JestersHK

Post by JestersHK »

Very nice lever gun there. I picked up a thermal scope on black Friday and decided to build out a new 270 host for it for busting the bigger hogs at night.
Attachments
Resized_20221228_163912.jpeg
skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

Been so long I can't remember exactly. Either a .338 A-Bolt or Annie 5418MSR and an American walnut sporterized stock.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Sig P320 X Carry, Sportsman's Warehouse exclusive! I love my M18 so much, I wanted something similar yet different. Saw they had this, and went for it. I actually think I might like the X series grip better than the Wilson Combat I put on the M18. Haven't shot her yet but soon hopefully!

This one does have a better sight setup than the M18 for sure. Adding an optic doesn't take away the rear sight. Still has tritium front and rear.

Funny, I was asked if it was an m18 when I picked it up because he didnt know that there was a version out there like this. But thats why I wanted it. Had the straight trigger, the fde/coyote colors, but no manual safety.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
benben

Post by benben »

soc_monki wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 8:18 am

Sig P320 X Carry, Sportsman's Warehouse exclusive! I love my M18 so much, I wanted something similar yet different. Saw they had this, and went for it. I actually think I might like the X series grip better than the Wilson Combat I put on the M18. Haven't shot her yet but soon hopefully!

This one does have a better sight setup than the M18 for sure. Adding an optic doesn't take away the rear sight. Still has tritium front and rear.

Funny, I was asked if it was an m18 when I picked it up because he didnt know that there was a version out there like this. But thats why I wanted it. Had the straight trigger, the fde/coyote colors, but no manual safety.
Give us a range report as soon as you shoot it, really want to hear your impressions on that straight trigger. Thinking about picking out one of my HK's and adding a flat trigger and short reset kit to it.
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

benben wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 9:12 am

Give us a range report as soon as you shoot it, really want to hear your impressions on that straight trigger. Thinking about picking out one of my HK's and adding a flat trigger and short reset kit to it.
Versus the standard curved trigger, the straight trigger is much more consistent in feel and finger placement. You can keep it on the lowest part of the trigger for a better feel and more leverage. Already have one on my M18, so already knew how it would feel! I'm sure some people prefer the curved trigger, and it works, but the flat is superior for me. And it's a cheap upgrade (~$30), unless you go for the skeletonized.
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
ykspydiefan

Post by ykspydiefan »

The last gun I bought was this Henry Mares Leg .44mag. It is the closest thing we can get to a 6 shooter. It still qualifies as a rifle and is legal to carry in the bush in Canada. Not that I have seen a bear when I have been carrying but just like knives it is nice to pretend to have an active real world use. The fantasy occurs while cleaning game, a sneaky bear rolls up and gets flattened as I defend myself.
IMG_20230203_100525534_2bighank.jpg
IMG_20230203_100017185hankholster.jpg
IMG_20230203_100100871hankshoe.jpg
IMG_20230203_101113797_3bload.jpg
I mostly fill milk jugs with water and smash them with 240gr what ever I can find at the gun shop. I have and hoard Buffalo Bore Ammo, the 270gr jacketed flat nose will easy stop the black bear I dream of. The HSM 305gr lead flat nose will stop a Grizz with good placement.

And, I was disappointed and confused to find that the Buffalo Bore 305gr lead flat nose will not reliably cycle in the .44mag Henry Mares leg. It is what ever fraction too long. The HSM will cycle as the bullet is pushed in ever so slightly more. Buffalo Bore reads nearly 200ft/lbs more energy, HSM Cycles. When I have been in bear area I will load one Buffalo Bore in the chamber and follow up with HSM. Make that first one count. The brass is the same so it pops out just fine.

Lever Lovers Unite!
Spyderco: Tenacious G10, Waterway, Para 3 Spy27, Pacific Salt H1, In the Mule Team Stable(Z-Max, Z-Wear, S45VN, Magnacut, SRS13/SUS405, M398, Aeb-l, 15v)
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Old timers will remember Steve McQueen's Mare's Leg
in the TV series Wanted Dead or Alive.
It was a 30-30 but the producers had him wear
much more cinematic 45-70 cartridges
in the loops on his cartridge belt.

It's good that our neighbors to the north can still have some fun.
Last edited by Mad Mac on Thu Mar 02, 2023 9:09 am, edited 2 times in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

In a similar vein,
in March I am making a presentation
to my local chapter of the Sons of Confederate Veterans
about Colonel Benjamin Terry's 8th Texas Cavalry.

In preparation for that presentation
I cut down the unwieldy 33 inch barrel
on a double barreled muzzle loading shotgun
to a handy 13 inches, as did many if not all
of the volunteers with shotguns in Terry's Texas Rangers.

As you know, black powder firearms are not subject to NFA rules
concerning sawed off shotguns.

I don't know for sure, but I think that great-great-grandpa Mordecai
would have opted for the sawed off shotgun.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mad Mac wrote:
Fri Feb 03, 2023 1:45 pm
In a similar vein,
in March I am making a presentation
to my local chapter of the Sons of Confederate Veterans
about Colonel Benjamin Terry's 8th Texas Cavalry.

In preparation for that presentation
I cut down the unwieldy 33 inch barrel
on a double barreled muzzle loading shotgun
to a handy 13 inches, as did many if not all
of the volunteers with shotguns in Terry's Texas Rangers.

As you know, black powder firearms are not subject to NFA rules
concerning sawed off shotguns.

I don't know for sure, but I think that great-great-grandpa Mordecai
would have opted for the sawed off shotgun.
Lol, oh helll yes, I can hear dear ole Mordecai now, "gimme the bitchhh!!!! Smile....that sawed off Guage is BAAD NEWS!
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Finally got around to populating
my Texas Flag panels
and added to the original Wall Control panels.

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Wow Mac. Awesome collection you have!
Thanks for posting that up!
Mad Mac

Post by Mad Mac »

Thank you, Sir.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Just picked up an Sig P365 SAS. So far I'm loving it. The 'bullseye' sight system is really unusual, but it took me less than one range session to figure it out. The sight is basically a fiber optic buried inside the slide, so there are no pieces protruding from the top of the slide to snag on clothing (or anything else).
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon Mar 13, 2023 7:22 am
Just picked up an Sig P365 SAS. So far I'm loving it. The 'bullseye' sight system is really unusual, but it took me less than one range session to figure it out. The sight is basically a fiber optic buried inside the slide, so there are no pieces protruding from the top of the slide to snag on clothing (or anything else).
Sounds very interesting Tom. Would you care to post up some pics, please?
Congratulations on that new Sig!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Pics or it never happened Thomas 😃
toxophilus

Post by toxophilus »

Latest, had to wait 6 months for the holster but it was worth it; this will now be my summer carry 1st Gen ;)

Last edited by toxophilus on Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

7D34D723-F7FC-4C74-A89C-061CD58E6E97.jpeg
Here’s my new small game .22lr
It’s a CZ 457 Bolt action with an aftermarket stock, 10 round mags,
AR-15 style but stock, m-lock slots on the front and a inexpensive Riton red dot sight (The optic is actually really great for the price). The rifle is small, (about 32” with the but-stock in the shortest position, and because of the optic you can shoot it with the butt stock in any position.) very portable and way more accurate than I am.

This is my first red dot, I think I’m gonna like this thing.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”