The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Post by Mad Mac »

Helping a family member who is not keen about firearms choose a firearm
can be frustrating for you and annoying for him/her. They need to get invested.

When I was "helping" my daughter, I was a member of the USPSA.
1911 .45s were de rigueur then. It may seem counterintuitive, but a big, heavy 1911
actually fits a small hand well. A slim grip, a short trigger pull
and then the hefty weight absorbs the recoil. She got some practice at my gun club.

When I took her to one of our USPSA weekly matches,
all I had to do was step back and watch.
50 alpha males helped and encouraged the young blond at every station.

She had a great time, but did not grow keen about a heavy, semi-auto. Can't blame her.
Get a kid involved and exposed to a lot of different choices is my suggestion.

Right now, for a girl I would recommend the little Kel-Tec PF9 in 9mm
or even smaller P3AT in .380. You know, for purse carry.
But they need to get excited about it. Ooh, ooh. A .45 Colt derringer!
Last edited by Mad Mac on Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I don’t know. I have a pf9 and an lcp and I think it is a misconception that they are either beginner guns or guns for women. Tiny pocket pistols have stout recoil, barely fit a human hand and are quite difficult to shoot well. They certainly aren’t fun to shoot. The PF9 and the first gen lcp have very long trigger pulls.

I am not a competitive shooter and just some guy who likes to shoot out at the sand pit. That said, accuracy wise I shoot handguns very well. I can hit clay pigeons on the berm at 50 yards with most full-size handguns. I have a hard time hitting one at 10 yards with my lcp.

I carry an lcp very often, more than any other gun. It is so easy to carry that I accept its limitations. I am a fan for sure.

A female friend of mine recently purchased an lcp2 in 22lr and it was pretty nice. I shot it surprisingly well and might get one for a kit gun. She struggled to hit anything with it and when I gave her my single six to try she was much more accurate. I just don’t think anybody should start with these micro pistols, they are for advanced shooters.

I think revolvers are good beginner guns. The SP101 is small but heavy and with .38s it is pleasant to shoot. Guns like the Shield are also small enough to be portable but big enough to be shootable.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Well, yes, but in a self defense situation there is the deterrent value
and if that doesn't work only a minute of dirtbag accuracy is needed.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
bearfacedkiller

I agree which is why I carry an lcp. It definitely works at the ranges it was designed for and it is small enough to always have it with you.

I have just seen new shooters get frustrated easily.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

Good stuff. I tried to get my wife to carry a PF9 but she was very uncomfortable with the long trigger pull. She carry’s a Glock 42 now. My main edc ccw is a Shield 40. I still have the PF9, it’s strictly my shtf work truck gun now.
Josh
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

A big ole Tennessee welcome to Smith & Wesson. After 169 years of being in Massachusetts, Smith & Wesson has re-loctaed to Maryville, Tennessee!!
Home of the Rebels! (Maryville Rebels that is 😀)
For those that don't know where Maryville, Tennessee is, it's about 18 miles South of Knoxville.
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

Springfield M1A Scout
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

T.J. wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:19 am
Springfield M1A Scout
Nice. Wood or Synthetic?
bearfacedkiller

It’s sad to see them leave (I grew up in Mass) but it only makes sense. It’s surprising how many of the gun manufacturers stayed in unfriendly states for so long.

When Colorado passed a magazine ban Magpul pulled out immediately and took their jobs with them. S&W should have done the same thing long ago. Mass should not get a single penny in tax revenue from the firearms industry.
-Darby
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:49 am
It’s sad to see them leave (I grew up in Mass) but it only makes sense. It’s surprising how many of the gun manufacturers stayed in unfriendly states for so long.

When Colorado passed a magazine ban Magpul pulled out immediately and took their jobs with them. S&W should have done the same thing long ago. Mass should not get a single penny in tax revenue from the firearms industry.
I hear ya man.
Ya know, for the first time ever I got to shoot a .44 Magnum. It was a Classic 629 with those THIN grips and it was a nightmare bro.
Man, whomever at S&W selected the grips for these newer 44 mag pistols evidently has never shot a .44 Magnum lol. My goodness, those thin grips will cut your hand eventually. They need grips like they used to make. At the very least on the .44's.
But, man oh man, the .44 Magnum is incredible imo.
I couldn't fathom a 460 or 500.
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:43 pm
T.J. wrote:
Springfield M1A Scout
Nice. Wood or Synthetic?
Synthetic. I may buy a real deal wood one from Fulton Armory at some point. I shot it for the first time yesterday. Pretty sweet gun.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

T.J. wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:02 am
MacLaren wrote:
T.J. wrote:
Springfield M1A Scout
Nice. Wood or Synthetic?
Synthetic. I may buy a real deal wood one from Fulton Armory at some point. I shot it for the first time yesterday. Pretty sweet gun.
Hehehe....are those sights the cats meow or what bro?
That's one devastating rifle. Congratulations
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:10 am
T.J. wrote:
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:02 am
MacLaren wrote:
T.J. wrote:
Springfield M1A Scout
Nice. Wood or Synthetic?
Hehehe....are those sights the cats meow or what bro?
That's one devastating rifle. Congratulations
Very accurate right out of the box.
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

Beretta 92FS
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

T.J. wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:34 am
Beretta 92FS
Classic bro. Very nice. I remember when the North Carolina Highway Patrol used the Beretta 92FS.
They have a silky action and a very good lookin gun to boot. Congratulations!
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:18 am
T.J. wrote:
Beretta 92FS
Classic bro. Very nice. I remember when the North Carolina Highway Patrol used the Beretta 92FS.
Thank you. The way this liberal cesspool that I live in operates, I probably won’t take possession for another 8 weeks.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

T.J. wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:57 am
MacLaren wrote:
T.J. wrote:
Beretta 92FS
Thank you. The way this liberal cesspool that I live in operates, I probably won’t take possession for another 8 weeks.
Good Lord! That long??
I thought it was like 3 days.....wow.
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:10 am
T.J. wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 8:57 am
MacLaren wrote:
T.J. wrote:
Beretta 92FS
Good Lord! That long??
I thought it was like 3 days.....wow.
Welcome to NY. My last purchase order took 6 weeks to approve.
T.J.

Post by T.J. »

Scratch that Beretta…..dealer emailed me today saying it was out of stock and their online inventory was inaccurate.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Not exactly a purchase per se, but I did just rebarrel and chamber two 98 Mausers in .35 Whelen. One with a LW 22" barrel, the other with a 26" barrel.