The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TomAiello

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Post by TomAiello »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:34 am
vivi wrote:
Tue Mar 09, 2021 3:53 pm
I've been looking at pocket guns but haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. Stuff like the Nano, S&W Bodyguard, LCP/LC9 etc.
I like pocket carry. Many guns that are called pocket guns are a little big for me. It all depends on what pants you wear and how deep the pockets are.
I pocket carry most of the time. I've found that it's all about the pants. I tend toward big, baggy cargo pants, and I can comfortably pocket carry a G19 if I want to. I even had some kydex pocket holsters custom made for my g19. I had a big ghost ring sight that ended up shredding my pants and I had to change it out, though. Then I got a pocket holster made that shields the sight better, so it doesn't rub through my pocket.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Agreed, big pockets and a good belt are key. That said, I don’t think I could ever comfortably pocket my G19. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

+1 for pocket carry

I haven't bought a new gun since my Seecamp. Almost no concern with printing, unless the pants are tighter than what I would wear.

It disappears in my pocket and with the right load, is more potent than it should be. It's more than enough to get me out of a jam, to my vehicle where there are better options.
I would prefer to carry my P365. But, this little guy is hard to argue with. That, and it's holster is absolutely perfect...

That's probably the biggest point. It may have cost nearly what the gun did. But, the holster has been in my pocket every day since I got it and still looks brand new. If you can afford the aftermarket or can wait(like 5 years :eek: ), Matt Del Fatti is a master amongst masters.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
benben

Post by benben »

Just got back from handling a OD Green CZ P-09 9mm, very impressed! A little odd how the slide goes down inside the frame which makes the slide so shallow / short to grab. Don’t own a CZ (yet) but don’t think I’ve ever heard anything bad about them, they seem to have a huge following!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:30 pm
Agreed, big pockets and a good belt are key.
The belt is critical. I have a full set of industrial sewing machines and I've built multiple belts. Heavy stiffeners and full strength buckles and webbing do wonders.

The belt I'm wearing right now is a 'war belt' made by a company called Ares Gear, and it's been really good.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:11 pm
I haven't bought a new gun since my Seecamp. Almost no concern with printing, unless the pants are tighter than what I would wear.
I'd love to have a Seecamp. Maybe some day. :)
Yomagn'tho

Post by Yomagn'tho »

Nothing fancy, but the last gun I bought was a 1970's Charter Arms Undercoverette in 32 Long. I have been wanting a pleasant recoiling snubby for quite awhile and saw one for a very good price.
“That weapon will replace your tongue. You will learn to speak through it. And your poetry will now be written with blood”.......Nobody from "Dead Man"
rabbitanarchy14

Post by rabbitanarchy14 »

just picked up a sig p365 tac pac and ordered new grip module, trigger, trigger spring. also bought a kimber evo. picking it up today from on target.
192.168.0.1 -Para 3 G10 M390 Red, Dice XHP, Lil Native Rex 45 comp, Manix 2 M390 G10 BR, PM2 M390 DLC BL, PM2 k390 RGreen, Cat BD1N, Dragonfly 2 k390
Saving for - Lil Native K390, D'allara 3, UTX-70
Instruments- Kimber EVO, SA Hellcat, SW Shield Plus 9
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

rabbitanarchy14 wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 12:30 am
just picked up a sig p365 tac pac and ordered new grip module, trigger, trigger spring. also bought a kimber evo. picking it up today from on target.
Pics! Or, it didn't happen :D
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Now this is my idea of a "Green New Deal".

Picked it up Tuesday, Kel-Tec PF9.
"Born in 2006, the PF9 is still smaller & lighter than most 9mm pistols
and remains a top seller in the concealed carry market."
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
bearfacedkiller

Nice Mac. I have had a PF9 since around 2007 or 2008. Just make sure to ammo test it. Mine won’t shoot Winchester white box at all but gobbles up cheap federal no problem. I didn’t really trust it for a few years until I started putting a mild reload of mine through it that it has no problems digesting. It’s a 124 grain lead round nose from Missouri Bullet Company over a light charge of red dot. It was only meant to be a practice load but since the gun has eaten hundreds of them without a jam it is all I feed it now. Being a very small and light pistol I don’t mind the softer shorting round. I carry it a lot when bumming around the woods checking trail cams or foraging for mushrooms. I put the pocket clip on it which makes it super easy to carry but I do empty the chamber when carrying it like that.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Nice score Mad Mac!
Same to you Darby
No doubt those babies will conceal well.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Thanks. I've been wearing it around the house for a few days.
To my surprise, it is thinner but almost the same size as my Springfield XDs .45
which weighs 21.5 ounces compared to 12.7 for the PF9.
(An XDs 9mm is actually a bit heavier because of the thicker barrel.)
That makes the XDs 75% heavier than the PF9.
Somehow Kel-Tec shaved more than half a pound off a micro semi-auto pistol.
On my hip, I can definitely feel the difference.

If I was a real man, I would carry a 1911.
Ed Brown, famous for his custom 1911s was once asked
why didn't he make custom Commander and Officer models.
In return, Brown asked the scribe why are some men so concerned
about a few ounces on a pistol when what they should really do is lose 40 pounds.

In my case, it would be more like 60 pounds.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
z1r

Post by z1r »

Rem Model 7 Predator in .223. Yotes, watch out!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mad Mac wrote:
Fri Apr 16, 2021 10:21 am
Thanks. I've been wearing it around the house for a few days.
To my surprise, it is thinner but almost the same size as my Springfield XDs .45
which weighs 21.5 ounces compared to 12.7 for the PF9.
(An XDs 9mm is actually a bit heavier because of the thicker barrel.)
That makes the XDs 75% heavier than the PF9.
Somehow Kel-Tec shaved more than half a pound off a micro semi-auto pistol.
On my hip, I can definitely feel the difference.

If I was a real man, I would carry a 1911.
Ed Brown, famous for his custom 1911s was once asked
why didn't he make custom Commander and Officer models.
In return, Brown asked the scribe why are some men so concerned
about a few ounces on a pistol when what they should really do is lose 40 pounds.

In my case, it would be more like 60 pounds.
Lol, that's pretty good Mac :D
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I’ve got a PF9 also, had it for years but it sits in the safe. It would probably do more damage throwing it at someone’s head instead of relying on it to shoot. I also found it only likes certain ammo like Darby. I only take my Shield with me anyways now a days. I’ve got night sights on it and the complete Apex trigger kit. It sure is a sweet shooter now.
Josh
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Right on Josh!
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela
bearfacedkiller

The PF9 is definitely extremely easy to carry. Having 7+1 of 9mm in a package that weighs just 1lb loaded is super impressive. With the clip on it you can carry IWB without a holster (if you are willing to carry on an empty chamber) and it is unbelievably easy to carry. I have never taken it out of my waistband after all these years and found that the trigger had been pulled but I still would not carry it that way with a round in the chamber. I realize many are very opposed to carrying on an empty chamber and know many are opposed to carrying without a holster but for me the entire point of this gun is ease of carry.

I bought mine before Ruger came out with the LC9 and for years now I said I was gonna get an LC9 and mothball the PF9 in the back of the safe. I have since put a CT Laser Grip on the PF9 so I am just gonna keep it. I feel very confident carrying it with my reloads and I actually shoot it pretty well. I only carry it hiking around in the woods anyway.

I bought a .357 Airweight J-frame last summer and now I don’t have much reason to carry either a LC9 or a PF9 anyway. The J-frame is now my midsize carry piece in my rotation. I have my three preferred carry guns by size now. I carry either my LCP or J-frame in my pocket depending on the pants and if I need more I carry my Shield 45 IWB.
-Darby
bearfacedkiller

Enjoy Soc!!!
-Darby