The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TomAiello

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Post by TomAiello »

Does anyone have a Tavor TS-12?

I've been looking at those lately.

I have the original Tavor (the SAR) in 9mm (suppressed) and 5.56, and I've been fairly happy with it. I've never found a semi-auto shotgun that really worked for me as well as my Mossberg 590 (which is obviously a pump). Even my fancy-schmancy Benelli M4 doesn't get the nod over the old reliable. I'm still on the hunt for a good semi- shotgun, I guess.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I have never owned one Tom.
Hopefully, someone will come along that does.
I'm seriously contemplating a new bolt rifle....
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Some day I'll get a high end bolt rifle. For now, I've got a couple Savages that shoot at least as well as I do. My most used bolt action is actually a Ruger Scout Rifle, which I'm very fond of. I think something like the Ruger LRPR in 6.5 Creedmoor is about as much bolt gun as I'd ever be able to handle.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

TomAiello wrote:
Mon May 25, 2020 8:20 pm
Some day I'll get a high end bolt rifle. For now, I've got a couple Savages that shoot at least as well as I do. My most used bolt action is actually a Ruger Scout Rifle, which I'm very fond of. I think something like the Ruger LRPR in 6.5 Creedmoor is about as much bolt gun as I'd ever be able to handle.
Shoot Tom, if ya ask me, those Savages are as good as they get for an outta the box rifle and imo, will shoot with just about any rifle. I love Savage. Also love FN Herstal too :)

Have you saw the new Savage High Country models?
They are sweet.
I also really like their Law Enforcement HS Precision Rifles too.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

A Ruger American Compact in .243 was the last rifle I bought. It is inexpensive, lightweight, short and handy. It would be great for the grandchildren thought I, but it is now this grandfather's favorite. As a 30-06 fan all my life, I was concerned if the little .243 would be enough cartridge. The first time I pulled the trigger after sighting it in, it dropped a coyote at 220 yards. It is also my only rifle that dropped a big hog in its tracks, about 100 yards. DRT as they say, dropped right there. So I'm pleasantly surprised and minute of coyote accuracy is good enough for this old man.
Last edited by Mad Mac on Thu May 28, 2020 6:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I just bought a new FN Herstal SPR A5M XP 20"
These rifles are usually $2,700 - A dealer on GB has them for $1,645 ....I think FN has quit making their SPR rifles, hence the price, which is wonderful! The FN SPR action is trued from the factory and has their famous chrome lined barrel as well.
I'm very happy to get this rifle for that price.

Tom, here is your high end bolt rifle.....^^^^^
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:04 am
trued from the factory and has their famous chrome lined barrel as well.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Bloke wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 5:44 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Thu May 28, 2020 6:04 am
trued from the factory and has their famous chrome lined barrel as well.
Bwahahaha .....arse! :D :D
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

This is actually the last gun that I bought (S&W 442).. but more recently, I bought the Altamont grips that are on it, which replaced some nice boot grips that i had on there .. definitely improves aim and accuracy given the full grip profile, but for sure is a bit less easily concealed.. The added grip comfort is probably enough to make me keep them on there though..

Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

DSH007 wrote:
Fri May 29, 2020 6:35 pm
This is actually the last gun that I bought (S&W 442).. but more recently, I bought the Altamont grips that are on it, which replaced some nice boot grips that i had on there .. definitely improves aim and accuracy given the full grip profile, but for sure is a bit less easily concealed.. The added grip comfort is probably enough to make me keep them on there though..

Very nice. And, I don't blame ya one bit for putting those Altamont grips on there. I can't stand to have a tiny grip that my finger hang off of. To me, thats just asking for it if something were to happen and ya actually had to use that pistol.
A good purchase on the grip is very important imo.
Btw, what model Spydie is that?
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

MacLaren wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 7:40 am
DSH007 wrote:

Very nice. And, I don't blame ya one bit for putting those Altamont grips on there. I can't stand to have a tiny grip that my finger hang off of. To me, thats just asking for it if something were to happen and ya actually had to use that pistol.
Thanks MacLaren! I agree about getting a good grip, I think it's worth giving up a little bit of concealability for..

That's the Siren! I've been carrying it quite a bit since I got it a few weeks ago.. I like it a lot!
Rick H.

MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

DSH007 wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 8:26 am
MacLaren wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 7:40 am
DSH007 wrote:

Thanks MacLaren! I agree about getting a good grip, I think it's worth giving up a little bit of concealability for..

That's the Siren! I've been carrying it quite a bit since I got it a few weeks ago.. I like it a lot!
Man, that's a great combo you have!
Siren looks really good!
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

Rick, do you own the Waterway as well? How do they compare?

I have a Waterway that I'm pretty happy with, and I was considering picking up a Siren, but I'm not sure how much pocket time it would see. There's a lot more competition for my folding knife pocket space than there is for my outdoor uses.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have no issues shooting a jframe with a two finger boot grip. We all prioritize different things but ease of carry is pretty much my top priority. That is why I carry an LCP most often. I like to pocket carry so for me boot grips are the only way to go. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 11:18 am
I have no issues shooting a jframe with a two finger boot grip. We all prioritize different things but ease of carry is pretty much my top priority. That is why I carry an LCP most often. I like to pocket carry so for me boot grips are the only way to go. :)

True enough, Darby. And yet, while pocket carry is my method of choice and a J-frame is my gun of choice, accuracy is still my top priority and I've found I can shoot one a lot more accurately if it has a set of grips that fill my hand and offer a solid 3 finger grip. I've never had a problem concealing a J-frame with Altamont Bateleur grips in the front pocket of my jeans. Perhaps that's because I take care to choose jeans with fairly deep front pockets. Perhaps it's because I almost never wear my shirt tucked in unless I'm also wearing a jacket. Perhaps it's because a "birds-head" style grip is easier to conceal than a squared off flat butt grip. Perhaps it's because I live in an area where nobody soils their linen or makes a hysterical call to 911 if they notice a vaguely gun-shaped lump on you. Perhaps a combo of some or all of those things. I've also come to realize that, at least where older males like me are concerned, nobody's paying all that much attention to you unless you do something to draw attention to yourself. Even then, they're going to focus their attention on whatever drew their attention, rather than scanning you looking for lumps in odd places.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 10:10 am
Rick, do you own the Waterway as well? How do they compare?

I have a Waterway that I'm pretty happy with, and I was considering picking up a Siren, but I'm not sure how much pocket time it would see. There's a lot more competition for my folding knife pocket space than there is for my outdoor uses.
Yes Tom, I do! Haha for obvious reasons they are quite similar... but there are some subtle differences in the grip profile, the shape of the integral guard, blade length, etc.. I find that the Siren carries very well for its size due its light weight and relatively compact (humpless) profile when closed. Also, it is easily the smoothest back lock that I have ever used.. I find that I am able to close it one handed by depressing the lock with my index finger and swinging the blade all the way shut.. I can't do this with any of my other back locks. The Siren has a GREAT back lock! The coarse g10 is aggressive, which will shred your pockets without sanding.. but at the same time, I don't think its physically possible to drop this knife. In use, the Siren grip is very comfortable in a number of positions, as with the Waterway. Thinking on it now, I've probably already used my Siren more in the few weeks that I've had it than my Waterway, for the simple fact that I find it easier to stick a folder in my pocket than to carry around a fixed blade.

Overall, I think if you enjoy the Waterway, then the Siren will translate pretty well..

Rick H.

Tdog

Post by Tdog »

The squirrels have been particularly bad this year. In and out of my chicken pen (no roosters) eating the scratch feed and other veggie scraps I give my chickens. No more....bought a Gamo .22 pellet gun with the 10 round magazine for quick follow-up shots. Let's just say the squirrels aren't happy, and the neighbors don't hear me popping off.
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

I acquired a Remington 700 5R Mil-Spec Gen 2 in 300 Win Mag. She will send 190gr out to 1000 yards with authority. I am working up a load using a 215gr berger hybrid which should get me to that magic 1 mile mark.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Mike Slayer wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 8:00 am
I acquired a Remington 700 5R Mil-Spec Gen 2 in 300 Win Mag. She will send 190gr out to 1000 yards with authority. I am working up a load using a 215gr berger hybrid which should get me to that magic 1 mile mark.
I LOVE the 300 Magnums!
The have everything the 6.5 Creedmoor and 260 and all other AND MORE. Like you say, they send it out with AUTHORITY.
I have an FN Herstal 300 Short Magnum.
I watched a video where a guy consistently hit a target at 1,500 yards with his Savage 300 WSM
Those 300 magnums will scream.
Btw, are ya gonna have that 700 action trued up?
I'll be honest, every Savage or FN rifle that I've had minus the FN SPR's that do have the action worked over, those rifles shot lights out. So, I'm guessing that if she shoots great then don't worry about it?
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

She will hold 5 shot group’s just under .5MOA out to 500 yards. After 500 yards I stopped worrying about group’s. She is a shooter for sure. I will leave her as is until the barrel needs changing. Then I might move up to 300 Norma Magnum or stick with 300WM. Either way I will have everything trued up when it’s time for a new barrel.