The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Mastiff

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Post by The Mastiff »

LOL...I'll wager that was a "Carbon-15" pistol. One of the least reliable firearms I've ever seen. Took one to the range with a factory rep...complete and utter failure from the 3rd round fires. I've had several come into the shop for repair and I have refused to work on every one. All of them have cracked receivers...even some I've seen that were NIB- unfired. They were horrible. Glad you got rid of your an hope you didn't lose too much on the deal.
Yep, That's exactly what it was. ;) I saw something bad coming and got rid of it fast enough apparently because it was still functioning and intact when I sold it at the next gun show to a dealer who was looking for one. I've decided that M4 length barrels are borderline too short for me in that caliber and no matter how handy something is if it doesn't fit my needs It's got to go. I might have kept it purely as a toy if it was more reliable but once that presented it seemed more a liability than anything else.
sok

Post by sok »

It has been a couple of years since I purchased a gun but my last one was a Springfield Armory XD-9 Sub-compact. I put some talon grips and tritium sights on it.

On a side note, there should be good deals on "assault rifles" coming out of Canada since they have been banned.
BourbonCowboy

Post by BourbonCowboy »

I bought this one to accompany my VP9sk...

benben

Post by benben »

BourbonCowboy wrote:
Tue May 05, 2020 9:29 pm
I bought this one to accompany my VP9sk...

Very nice! I've said that a 9mm Expert with a Jet Funnel magwell would be my next HK but I have been reading up on these striker fired VP's, seems the trigger is very well liked and getting fantastic reviews!
BourbonCowboy

Post by BourbonCowboy »

benben wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 8:59 am
Very nice! I've said that a 9mm Expert with a Jet Funnel magwell would be my next HK but I have been reading up on these striker fired VP's, seems the trigger is very well liked and getting fantastic reviews!
The VP9 and VP9sk pistols do have nice triggers. However, I replaced both with a Lobos trigger. It reduces pre-travel and shortens the reset. Basically, it takes a good trigger and makes it great.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

BourbonCowboy wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 2:03 pm
The VP9 and VP9sk pistols do have nice triggers. However, I replaced both with a Lobos trigger. It reduces pre-travel and shortens the reset. Basically, it takes a good trigger and makes it great.
I said it before, I'll say I again. Discerning connessiours of working tools with reliability and panache tend to prefer both Spyderco and HK. I don't have a VP9, nor do I NEED any more pistols. But if I was to go shopping, it would be near the top of my list.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I tell ya guys and gals, the best trigger that I've felt on a striker gun thus far has been on the Canik!
It was sweet. I dont say that lightly either. I love good single action trigger like on a 1911 or other hammer fired guns
That Canik was outstanding.
Forgive me if misspelled Canik- Canick?
BourbonCowboy

Post by BourbonCowboy »

RustyIron wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 3:48 pm
I said it before, I'll say I again. Discerning connessiours of working tools with reliability and panache tend to prefer both Spyderco and HK. I don't have a VP9, nor do I NEED any more pistols. But if I was to go shopping, it would be near the top of my list.
This could definitely be true, but I chose the HK out of practicality. I'm a public school administrator, and the last school I worked at decided to go with the CSSO program - meaning armed administrators. At first, I declined to participate, but two weeks later, the Parkland shooting occurred. I decided that I wouldn't be able to live with myself if it happened at my school and I was unable to at least try to stop it. Since I'm a lefty, I had to find an ambi pistol. There aren't a lot of them on the market, but the selection is much better than it was 10 years ago. Basically, my choices were narrowed down to the HK VP9sk, a Beretta PX-4 compact, and a Walther. After a lot of research, I bought the HK and convinced the rest of the security team to adopt the pistol. They liked it, and now it's their daily carry. I've since moved to a different school and we currently do not employ the CSSO program, but I've still got the VP9sk...and now the full-sized version. I really like them both, and I'm sold on the paddle-style mag release.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:24 pm
I tell ya guys and gals, the best trigger that I've felt on a striker gun thus far has been on the Canik!
It was sweet. I dont say that lightly either. I love good single action trigger like on a 1911 or other hammer fired guns
You were right...Canik. And I have to agree. The Canik has the best striker trigger out of all the others, and i've tried them all. It even beats several of the non-OEM drop-in "target" triggers out in the market today.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 7:58 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:24 pm
You were right...Canik. And I have to agree. The Canik has the best striker trigger out of all the others, and i've tried them all. It even beats several of the non-OEM drop-in "target" triggers out in the market today.
Lol, I was floored. I thought, I'm gonna get one.
And, I probably will.
Just wish I could find a nice model 27 at a reasonable price first :)
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

BourbonCowboy wrote:
Wed May 06, 2020 5:25 pm
I really like them both, and I'm sold on the paddle-style mag release.
Good on ya for choosing to be a protector. I'm also a big fan of the paddle-style magazine release. I was doing some rather grueling training with one of my older HK's, and the instructor was pushing me pretty hard. I found that my dexterity suffered, and I fumbled a bit with a reload. After that, I installed the newer, larger paddles on all my guns.
Superflex

Post by Superflex »

My latest was a CZ Scorpion pistol.
Added the Tailhook brace, a Primary Arms red dot and the Magpul grip.
Fabulous range toy for shooting steel.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Superflex wrote:
Sun May 10, 2020 5:59 pm
My latest was a CZ Scorpion pistol.
Added the Tailhook brace, a Primary Arms red dot and the Magpul grip.
Fabulous range toy for shooting steel.
Pics would be great, if ya get a chance to do so.
And, Congratulations on that Scorpion!
I have a Bren, and absolutely love it.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:20 pm
I got to add a Vortex Spitfire and a set of Magpul Pro MBUS
Really, really, like the Magpul Pro's....
I’m a bit more old-school and pretty much stock.
But, having earlier renewed my Colt LE6920 M4 with a red-dot Aimpoint T2 Micro (good out to 300 yards, some will claim), I’ve renewed it again with a co-witnessing Aimpoint 6x magnifier for going out farther.

The mount is a LaRue Tactical that flips and locks the magnifier out of the way on the same axis (unlike Aimpoint’s own mount) so I can use it for scouting terrain or for unmagnified red-dot entertainment.

And, so I don’t alarm my fellow birders, I can rotate the mounting lever and take the magnifier off easy-peasy to see what they’re seeing. The magnification is fixed, however.
Last edited by wrdwrght on Sat May 16, 2020 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

wrdwrght wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 5:49 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:20 pm
I got to add a Vortex Spitfire and a set of Magpul Pro MBUS
Really, really, like the Magpul Pro's....
I’m a bit more old-school and pretty much stock.
But, having earlier renewed my Colt LE6920 M4 with a red-dot Aimpoint T2 Micro (good out to 300 yards), I’ve renewed it again with a co-witnessing Aimpoint 6x magnifier for going out farther.

The mount is a LaRue Tactical that flips and locks the magnifier out of the way on the same axis (unlike Aimpoint’s own mount) so I can use it for scouting terrain or for unmagnified red-dot entertainment.

And, so I don’t alarm my fellow birders, I can rotate the mounting lever and take the magnifier off easy-peasy to see what they’re seeing. The magnification is fixed, however.
Very nice.
Mine is bone stock as well, minus the optic and iron sights.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Old school pistol build.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat May 16, 2020 8:14 am
Old school pistol build.

That first picture had me thinking you’d built a really tiny AR pistol.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Man, I would never sale my " pistol " :D
This baby is just awesome.
Hardly any recoil at all and the action is pure silk.
That new Armalite I have has a better trigger. But, this CZ Bren is the one that I really love.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Pretty excited about this guy. Got it about a week ago. I put some 38 target loads, 38 +P hollow points, 357 midrange loads and lastly some of my hot .357 handloads through it. Whoa! My handloads stung a little! My GP100 eats them for breakfast but the GP weighs 43 oz and this guy weighs 14 oz. This will see regular carry for sure! I just need some sort of boot grip so it fits in my pocket better.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
awa54

Post by awa54 »

Do airguns count? I finally bought a Weirauch HW35, the standard Euro-legal version with a beech stock and 7.5joule max. muzzle energy.
A vortek spring pack (approx. 12ft/lb muzzle energy now), some sling fittings and an aperture sight now reside on/in it and it'll be all broken in soon :D
-David

still more knives than sharpening stones...