The Last Gun You Bought

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
User avatar
The Deacon
Member
Posts: 25212
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Contact:

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby The Deacon » Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:50 pm

A local dealer had this .45ACP Sig 1911 Emperor Scorpion listed on Armslist. Took a ride today and added it to my collection of adult playthings...

Image Image
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

MacLaren
Member
Posts: 5932
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm
Location: Asheville,NC,USA,Earth

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby MacLaren » Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:00 pm

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:50 pm
A local dealer had this .45ACP Sig 1911 Emperor Scorpion listed on Armslist. Took a ride today and added it to my collection of adult playthings...

Image Image
Nice score Paul.
He didnt happen to have in .357 Sig, did he?

User avatar
The Deacon
Member
Posts: 25212
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Contact:

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby The Deacon » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:23 pm

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:00 pm
Nice score Paul.
He didnt happen to have in .357 Sig, did he?

Thanks, it was especially nice as they charged me $70 less than the price it was listed for on Armslist. :) Don't think Sig is currently making a 1911 in .357 Sig, in fact they don't seem to be making much of anything chambered for it currently.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

MacLaren
Member
Posts: 5932
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm
Location: Asheville,NC,USA,Earth

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby MacLaren » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:27 pm

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:23 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:00 pm
Nice score Paul.
He didnt happen to have in .357 Sig, did he?

Thanks, it was especially nice as they charged me $70 less than the price it was listed for on Armslist. :) Don't think Sig is currently making a 1911 in .357 Sig, in fact they don't seem to be making much of anything chambered for it currently.
Yeah, you did really well. Those Emporer Scorpions are really neat.
Sig makes a fantastic 1911 too.
I never would've guessed that Sig would stop making their namesake caliber in the 1911 model, much less the Classic P Series. Hell, the striker guns are taking over Paul :(
I knew darn good and well I shouldve bough a Bobtail 1911 in 357 when they first came.out. that's what I get for waiting.

User avatar
The Deacon
Member
Posts: 25212
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Upstate SC, USA
Contact:

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby The Deacon » Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:49 pm

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:27 pm
Yeah, you did really well. Those Emporer Scorpions are really neat.
Sig makes a fantastic 1911 too.
I never would've guessed that Sig would stop making their namesake caliber in the 1911 model, much less the Classic P Series. Hell, the striker guns are taking over Paul :(
I knew darn good and well I shouldve bough a Bobtail 1911 in 357 when they first came.out. that's what I get for waiting.

Can't say I'd have ever considered a gun in .357 Sig, but it seems odd to me too that Sig wouldn't be chambering guns for it. Took a look on GunBroker and it looked like every Sig listed in was either used or "new old stock".
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!

MacLaren
Member
Posts: 5932
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm
Location: Asheville,NC,USA,Earth

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby MacLaren » Thu Apr 02, 2020 4:20 pm

The Deacon wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:49 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 2:27 pm
Yeah, you did really well. Those Emporer Scorpions are really neat.
Sig makes a fantastic 1911 too.
I never would've guessed that Sig would stop making their namesake caliber in the 1911 model, much less the Classic P Series. Hell, the striker guns are taking over Paul :(
I knew darn good and well I shouldve bough a Bobtail 1911 in 357 when they first came.out. that's what I get for waiting.

Can't say I'd have ever considered a gun in .357 Sig, but it seems odd to me too that Sig wouldn't be chambering guns for it. Took a look on GunBroker and it looked like every Sig listed in was either used or "new old stock".
Well, cant say that I blame ya, with having a nice 45 auto.
And, thanx for looking.
Heck, I've got enough dang guns anyway lol.
I'd be the one get shot if I buy another lol.

MacLaren
Member
Posts: 5932
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm
Location: Asheville,NC,USA,Earth

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby MacLaren » Thu Apr 02, 2020 6:20 pm

I got to add a Vortex Spitfire and a set of Magpul Pro MBUS
Really, really, like the Magpul Pro's....
Image

benben
Member
Posts: 537
Joined: Wed Nov 09, 2011 2:34 pm
Location: Gastonia, North Carolina.

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby benben » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:26 pm

Yeah, this forum really needs a “like” button! Paul, great looking Sig, did a little research and reading on it, great pistol. I think I’ve only ever seen you post your snubbie revolvers, and today you show off this jewel!

OldHoosier62
Member
Posts: 586
Joined: Tue Jan 04, 2011 4:57 pm
Location: Indiana

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby OldHoosier62 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:15 pm

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:00 pm
The Deacon wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:50 pm
A local dealer had this .45ACP Sig 1911 Emperor Scorpion listed on Armslist. Took a ride today and added it to my collection of adult playthings...

Image Image
Nice score Paul.
He didnt happen to have in .357 Sig, did he?
Find one in .40 S&W then pick up a .357 SIG barrel from Brownells. Buy a drop-in if you want easy or if you are handy with files and stones buy one that requires fitting. Not hard to do.

Or just by the adult version of the .40....the 10mm. :D

User avatar
The Mastiff
Member
Posts: 5279
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:53 am
Location: raleigh nc

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby The Mastiff » Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:12 am

That is nice Paul. I have read good things about those but don't have any experience. All I have added lately is an add on barrel in 357 Sig for my Glock 23.

If I ever find the right one I will add a 357 Ruger Speed Six 3 or 4 inch ( or similar Security Six) , preferably stainless. Those old revolvers are getting fairly scarce and I like them. I have had a 2 3/4th inch blue version since 1982 and is as tight as ever . There are several S&W revolvers I'd grab up if I could too. I don't get out enough anymore like when I worked the gun show circuit.

User avatar
Mad Mac
Member
Posts: 1279
Joined: Thu May 28, 2015 12:40 pm
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South
Contact:

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby Mad Mac » Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:57 am

In 1981 I bought a Security Six in stainless steel for my petite daughter. My recollection is that I chose it because it was the smallest revolver available for the 357 and she did not to want a semi-auto. The price was very reasonable at that time. I think she still has it.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, two Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Sharpmaker, Police SE, Small SpyderPac, Ultra-Fine Stones, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, two Large Lum Pink G10, Rubicon. 2017: Battlestation, Orange Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: EuroEdge, ClipiTool Standard, 2019 Calendar Contest Rhino CF PLN.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.

MacLaren
Member
Posts: 5932
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm
Location: Asheville,NC,USA,Earth

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby MacLaren » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:11 am

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 11:15 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:00 pm
The Deacon wrote:
Thu Apr 02, 2020 12:50 pm
A local dealer had this .45ACP Sig 1911 Emperor Scorpion listed on Armslist. Took a ride today and added it to my collection of adult playthings...

Image Image
Nice score Paul.
He didnt happen to have in .357 Sig, did he?
Find one in .40 S&W then pick up a .357 SIG barrel from Brownells. Buy a drop-in if you want easy or if you are handy with files and stones buy one that requires fitting. Not hard to do.

Or just by the adult version of the .40....the 10mm. :D
Hehehe.....I hear ya buddy. That 10MM is awesome. :D

User avatar
The Mastiff
Member
Posts: 5279
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:53 am
Location: raleigh nc

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby The Mastiff » Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:21 pm

In 1981 I bought a Security Six in stainless steel for my petite daughter. My recollection is that I chose it because it was the smallest revolver available for the 357 and she did not to want a semi-auto. The price was very reasonable at that time. I think she still has it.
They are reliable and by design they don't loosen up like the Colts and S&W's with a lot of magnum loads. In the prison's armory we had Colt's that were from the 50's or 60's and by the time we got rid of them the timing was pretty bad on most. I recall being next to a guy shooting one at the range and it was shaving jacket pieces with every shot and the jacket pieces were hitting my forearms and embedding in the skin like splinters.I was in the next lane to him on the left. I had to stop the qualification and move the guy to a place several spaces down with nobody on either sides. The S&W model 65's were pretty nice but even they were beginning to get loose after a decade or so. Not as bad as the Colts. In comparison I have shot thousands and thousands of rounds through the Ruger and the trigger action has only smoothed out. The Ruger factory grips weren't that comfortable but a quick change to rubber grips fixed my only complaint. I had a Python for about 10 years but other than being pretty I never really took to it.

There are lots of great revolvers now but I stick to what works best for me. For inside the house I load 38 sp Buffalo Bore 110 gr. copper hp. It wouldn't take many shots of magnum loads in my smallish bedrooms and hallways to damage my hearing so nowadays I only load magnums when outside.

Joe

User avatar
Ankerson
Member
Posts: 5638
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby Ankerson » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:06 pm

The Mastiff wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:21 pm
In 1981 I bought a Security Six in stainless steel for my petite daughter. My recollection is that I chose it because it was the smallest revolver available for the 357 and she did not to want a semi-auto. The price was very reasonable at that time. I think she still has it.
They are reliable and by design they don't loosen up like the Colts and S&W's with a lot of magnum loads. In the prison's armory we had Colt's that were from the 50's or 60's and by the time we got rid of them the timing was pretty bad on most. I recall being next to a guy shooting one at the range and it was shaving jacket pieces with every shot and the jacket pieces were hitting my forearms and embedding in the skin like splinters.I was in the next lane to him on the left. I had to stop the qualification and move the guy to a place several spaces down with nobody on either sides. The S&W model 65's were pretty nice but even they were beginning to get loose after a decade or so. Not as bad as the Colts. In comparison I have shot thousands and thousands of rounds through the Ruger and the trigger action has only smoothed out. The Ruger factory grips weren't that comfortable but a quick change to rubber grips fixed my only complaint. I had a Python for about 10 years but other than being pretty I never really took to it.

There are lots of great revolvers now but I stick to what works best for me. For inside the house I load 38 sp Buffalo Bore 110 gr. copper hp. It wouldn't take many shots of magnum loads in my smallish bedrooms and hallways to damage my hearing so nowadays I only load magnums when outside.

Joe

Joe,

Oh yeah the Security Six was a tank OMG... :cool:

I also had a Python (4"), loved it, extremely accurate. :)

Had a few S&W Model 57's, one I had to have cut up due to the top strap wear, I shot that one a lot with full power loads.

User avatar
RustyIron
Member
Posts: 303
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 9:01 pm
Location: La Habra, CA
Contact:

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby RustyIron » Fri Apr 03, 2020 10:58 pm

Mad Mac wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:57 am
In 1981 I bought a Security Six in stainless steel for my petite daughter. My recollection is that I chose it because it was the smallest revolver available for the 357 and she did not to want a semi-auto. The price was very reasonable at that time. I think she still has it.


What a coincidence. Just this afternoon I was having a discussion about Security-Sixes!

My wife has one in 4". I have the Speed-Six in 2 3/4". Neither gets shot often, but on our last outing, we brought both for a head-to-head comparison. The Security-Six is a fun to shoot. Full-load .357, double action, BAMBAMBAMBAMBAMBAM. Fast, accurate, fun.

The Speed-Six? The trigger is wonderful, DA or SA. Recoil? Very unpleasant. It's not a joy to shoot.

johnson
Member
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:15 am
Location: South Africa

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby johnson » Sat Apr 04, 2020 2:40 am

I Bought a Beretta 1301 COMP. Licence applications in South Africa is a real PITA and I waited five months for it get approved. I Received it two days before our lock down started so it hasn't even fired a shot yet. Hopefully in two weeks time I can get it to the range.
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg

MacLaren
Member
Posts: 5932
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm
Location: Asheville,NC,USA,Earth

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby MacLaren » Sat Apr 04, 2020 12:03 pm

Guys - and gals, I finally got around to measuring the pull weight on that new Armalite M15 3GN18.
I gotta say, I thought she was a true 3 pound trigger and maybe even a bit lighter. Which is really unusual and I would also say unique. Most published trigger pull weights are a little more than advertised in my experience. But, man oh man, when I first pulled the trigger on her I was a true believer in Timney!!
No take and no creep. Breaks like a glass rod.
Better than 99% of any pistol I've eve had!!
Well, I finally measured her today and she is breaking at a very consistent 2.5 pounds!! I am in Hog Freakin Heaven gang.
Image

Tdog
Member
Posts: 1849
Joined: Sat Apr 30, 2011 7:04 pm
Location: The woods of Florida

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby Tdog » Sun Apr 05, 2020 8:13 pm

Mad Mac wrote:
Fri Apr 03, 2020 6:57 am
In 1981 I bought a Security Six in stainless steel for my petite daughter. My recollection is that I chose it because it was the smallest revolver available for the 357 and she did not to want a semi-auto. The price was very reasonable at that time. I think she still has it.
Ruger Security 6  .357.jpg
Ruger Security 6 .357.jpg (31.48 KiB) Viewed 3199 times
Picked this one up a few years back, they are nice.

TomAiello
Member
Posts: 3925
Joined: Tue Jun 11, 2013 10:34 pm
Location: Twin Falls, ID

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby TomAiello » Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:25 pm

How much did that Armalite set you back?

Those are nice looking rifles, for sure.

MacLaren
Member
Posts: 5932
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:59 pm
Location: Asheville,NC,USA,Earth

Re: The Last Gun You Bought

Postby MacLaren » Mon Apr 06, 2020 3:37 am

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 9:25 pm
How much did that Armalite set you back?

Those are nice looking rifles, for sure.
Hi Tom,.
PM incoming my friend.


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: cabfrank, ThomC, TomAiello and 12 guests