Bark River Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SG89

Re: Bark River Knives

Post by SG89 »

Yeah I need to resist too I kind of want a Bravo 1.5 LT. My bravo squad leader is just too short and fat
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

My first Bark River was a Bravo 1. I'm thinking about signing up for the S45VN Mini Gunny pre-order on DLT Trading. It will probably be less stressful than trying to catch one of the S45VN sprints from Spyderco.
Attachments
bravo1_small.jpg
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Well I ordered another Bark River :p
Ultralight Bushcrafter
Spydergirl88
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Wow this thing is awesome. Bone white micarta with brass hardware and red liners. The box included 2 sheaths... Is this normal for the ultralight bushcrafter? One is a belt sheath the other is a magnetic neck sheath. Tested this guy out and it shaves fatwood great, batoned through a small dry limb, did some whittling. It's really fun. Here's some pics:
Spydergirl88
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:53 pm
Wow this thing is awesome. Bone white micarta with brass hardware and red liners. The box included 2 sheaths... Is this normal for the ultralight bushcrafter? One is a belt sheath the other is a magnetic neck sheath. Tested this guy out and it shaves fatwood great, batoned through a small dry limb, did some whittling. It's really fun. Here's some pics:
You hit the jackpot with those 2 sheaths!
BR puts out fantastic sheaths anyways.
Very nice.....
Btw, you dont happen to own the Vortex.model do ya?
I asked Mike today if he was going to make anymore Vortex blades, he said it was still being discussed.

P.S. its goin to town on that yellow locust! Very nice indeed..
SG89

Post by SG89 »

MacLaren wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:47 pm
Very nice.....
I asked Mike today if he was going to make anymore Vortex blades, he said it was still being discussed.

I don't have a Vortex but they look pretty cool. I really want a Bark River Grizzly or Cub
Spydergirl88
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 8:00 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 7:47 pm
Very nice.....

I don't have a Vortex but they look pretty cool. I really want a Bark River Grizzly or Cub
Oh, I love that Cub model!
Just keep checkin BF, one or the other or both might pop up.
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

Marauder in CPM-154.
096C0EFE-031D-46D4-9241-B1734A945A27.jpeg
MACV-SOG Bowie in CPM-3v
DC4037FD-5EEE-4B90-8EC3-E8408652E367.jpeg
I also have the Bark River Machete in CPM-1v and a MACV-SOG Recondo Bowie in CPM-154. I have had numerous Bark Rivers over the years dating back to 2003. When they release another run of the MACV-SOG Bowies I plan to pick up one or two more to squirrel away.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Mike Slayer wrote:
Tue May 12, 2020 12:33 pm
Marauder in CPM-154.
096C0EFE-031D-46D4-9241-B1734A945A27.jpeg

MACV-SOG Bowie in CPM-3v
DC4037FD-5EEE-4B90-8EC3-E8408652E367.jpeg

I also have the Bark River Machete in CPM-1v and a MACV-SOG Recondo Bowie in CPM-154. I have had numerous Bark Rivers over the years dating back to 2003. When they release another run of the MACV-SOG Bowies I plan to pick up one or two more to squirrel away.
I wish I had grabbed one of those MACV SOGs. If they do run them again I will.
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

VashHash wrote:
Wed May 13, 2020 3:10 pm

I wish I had grabbed one of those MACV SOGs. If they do run them again I will.
I missed the very first run myself because I didn’t have the money. Seemed like the second run took forever but I snagged one. The next run they make I want to snag at least two stack leather handle versions. I have loved the 6” bowie design since I was a kid and read about them and the Green Berets that carried them in Vietnam. When they said they were making a reproduction in CPM-3v I was sold since CPM-3v is my favorite steel for a fixed blade. The originals that were made in Japan were made from SK-3 carbon steel. If I remember correctly they were tempered down to 55-56RC so they were more worried about durability than edge holding. Makes me wonder if they had CPM-3v back then what they would of thought?
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I missed out on getting a SOG Bowie way back when and regretted it since. I did the same with MACV-SOG Bowie in 3V from Bark River. I think if they make any future deliveries of them I'm not going to argue with myself this time and just get one. It's not the most practical knife for my needs but that doesn't seem to stop me from wanting one. Those original SK5 blued SOG ones from Seki are going for a nice amount when in really good condition. They make the new 3V Bark River versions look like a great deal.
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

If you find any of them CISO had made in Japan for MACV-SOG In the 60’s they are generally $2000 and up. Ben Baker who was head of CISO and designed the 7”, 6” and a version for water operations had some rare versions. The version for water operations is the rarest that I know of. Only 39 or 40 were made and Ben Baker had the only surviving example so no telling how much that is worth. I love the history of them and the Badasses that carried and used them.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Does vehement not make sog Bowies anymore? All the seki fixed blades are going for $$$ now - the SOGs and the Cold Steels
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Rascal II in CPM-154 with natural micarta matte scales, green liners and brass hardware. Fun little knife. Image
Spydergirl88
Mike Slayer

Post by Mike Slayer »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 9:35 am
Does vehement not make sog Bowies anymore? All the seki fixed blades are going for $$$ now - the SOGs and the Cold Steels
I haven’t seen any since they did the collab version with Bark River. Also when I talk about The Original SOG bowies I am not talking about the reproductions made by SOG, Al-mar, cold steel or any other company. I am talking about the ones Ben Baker Head of CISO designed and contracted a unknown manufacturer in Japan to produce for Soldier’s in Vietnam doing cross boarder missions under the “Studies and Observation Group”. I didn’t know if It was clear which one’s I was talking about in my earlier post. If nobody was confused then I apologize. I have had to make the distinction before when other knife enthusiasts didn’t know of the originals or the history of the original Knives’s.
GarageBoy

Post by GarageBoy »

Never knew the originals (Vietnam era) were Japanese - interesting! I was just agreeing with the mastiff about how many brands have moved away from seki city manufacturers and how prices have gone up on the vintage pieces (Al Mar, cold steel, sog)
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

GarageBoy wrote:
Fri May 15, 2020 7:37 pm
Never knew the originals (Vietnam era) were Japanese - interesting! I was just agreeing with the mastiff about how many brands have moved away from seki city manufacturers and how prices have gone up on the vintage pieces (Al Mar, cold steel, sog)
I think the extreme value found in Seki-produced knives of the 1990s is long gone, unfortunately. The Seki knives are still exceptional, but more expensive now. Some of the Chinese knives are ok; the Tenacious is really pretty good. The US knives are usually top notch, but very expensive.

It's a rough market. I'd like a nice dependable fixed blade for camp & bushcraft use, ideally made in the USA. The Bark Rivers definitely fit the bill, but $350.00 is a lot of money. I could get an ESEE 6HM, but I'd prefer a stainless steel. I'm hoping that Spyderco releases a CruCarta Proficient sometime soon, and would love to see it made in the USA.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

I just pre-ordered a Cub, with Bone White Micarta, Red Liners and Mosaic Pins.
SG89

Post by SG89 »

MacLaren wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 2:37 pm
I just pre-ordered a Cub, with Bone White Micarta, Red Liners and Mosaic Pins.
Wow that will be awesome! Congrats!
Spydergirl88
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Spydergirl88 wrote:
Fri May 08, 2020 1:53 pm
I gotta say, the Bone White Micarta with Red Liners is just special imo. As you can see, I just pre-ordered a Cub with those plus Mosaic Pins.