Bark River Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Paraguy

Re: Bark River Knives

Post by Paraguy »

baton making with brkt bushcrafter.JPG
"Some call me...Tim?"
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Paraguy wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 6:34 pm
BRKT BUSHCRAFTER IN HAND.JPGSo this came today...
Congrats!!

The Bushcrafter has become my favorite fire pit knife. Fantastic for batoning and feather sticks. I normally like thinner knives, but the Bushcrafter has really grown on me.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

If I only kept one full-sized camp fixed blade, the Bushcrafter may be it...

So it goes.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 11:00 pm
Paraguy wrote:
Wed May 11, 2022 6:34 pm
BRKT BUSHCRAFTER IN HAND.JPGSo this came today...
Congrats!!

The Bushcrafter has become my favorite fire pit knife. Fantastic for batoning and feather sticks. I normally like thinner knives, but the Bushcrafter has really grown on me.
My first impression was that it was too thick and heavy (I'm used to a mora no.1.) But after some hard use, I began to love it; it doesn't seem heavy anymore. My only complaint would be that they could've contoured the handle a bit more as it was a little blocky. However, this was easily fixed with a little sandpaper. I'm astonished by how well this 3v strops. I'll have to see if the steel performs differently after some sharpening. It did very well batoning through sand-covered logs.
Edit: This knife seems to be a do it all kinda tool. It batons, it carves, IT SLICES.
"Some call me...Tim?"
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Thanks for sharing. A new batch is available for pre-order. I wait for a 1.25 bravo in magnacut (if it ever will be made).

Last week I found the Aurora scandi magnacut in my mailbox. Haven’t used it yet. Can’t wait to put my own edge on it and experience what this steel is all about.

They are still available at DLT.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Danvp wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 3:44 pm
Last week I found the Aurora scandi magnacut in my mailbox. Haven’t used it yet. Can’t wait to put my own edge on it and experience what this steel is all about.
Man, too many buns in the oven for me, but I would LOVE to get my hands on that knife someday. That one knife could get you through a lifetime of Bushcraft easy.

Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Danvp wrote:

Thanks for sharing. A new batch is available for pre-order. I wait for a 1.25 bravo in magnacut (if it ever will be made).

WHAT! I dint know of its existence!
"Some call me...Tim?"
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Paraguy wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:32 pm
Danvp wrote:

WHAT! I dint know of its existence!
Somewhat comparable to your Bushcrafter I think. Lots of people like one or the other, and generally speaking it seems like guys with bigger hands like the Aurora better.

I haven't gotten to try one yet, but man is that knife a looker.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Airlsee wrote:
Thu May 12, 2022 1:57 am
Sorry for quoting an old post, but man, what a great knife. The Bushcrafter has become my go-to fire pit knife.

I always thought he BK2 was a great example of how not to design a knife, because it was chonk gone too far. The Bushcrafter is without a doubt my chonkiest knife, but it feels oh so right.

Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Whatever do you mean? :winking-tongue

Yeah, the BK2 has been relegated to the top of a closet for many years now...the crappy sheath definitely didn't help it any but at one pound and 1/4" stock it is definitely overkill. It's unique for sure, LOL!
So it goes.
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Here's a pic of a looker...

I had a bushcrafter desert ironwood in 3V. We didn't get along very well. It's a pity i can't exactly remember why. Hope this posting about how great the knife is by you guys doesn't lead to another knife on my 'wanted list'.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Very nice!! I'm a big fan of the Aurora, it was my first BRK...I'm looking forward to hearing how the Scandi Magnacut performs after some use. Congrats!
So it goes.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Danvp wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 10:37 am
Here's a pic of a looker...

I had a bushcrafter desert ironwood in 3V. We didn't get along very well. It's a pity i can't exactly remember why. Hope this posting about how great the knife is by you guys doesn't lead to another knife on my 'wanted list'.
I do like the blade profile i tend to prefer less belly.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:58 pm
Airlsee wrote:
Sorry for quoting an old post, but man, what a great knife. The Bushcrafter has become my go-to fire pit knife.

I always thought he BK2 was a great example of how not to design a knife, because it was chonk gone too far. The Bushcrafter is without a doubt my chonkiest knife, but it feels oh so right.
I didn't like how thick it was until i realized it could slice too. (The Bushcrafter that is) :zany
"Some call me...Tim?"
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Paraguy wrote:
Thu May 26, 2022 4:05 pm
kennethsime wrote:
Wed May 25, 2022 8:58 pm
Airlsee wrote:

I didn't like how thick it was until i realized it could slice too. (The Bushcrafter that is) :zany
That was my first experience too. Now I appreciate that I can smack it around a little bit. ;)

Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Not only smack it around, but it literally peels wood effortlessly and is the perfect length for full leverage and control.

For me the longer a knife gets the less controllable it becomes...I could get by perfectly with only the Bushcrafter and the Mini Kephart...

But the Aurora LT, Mini-Aurora, LTWK GNS & LTWK Pronghorn would have much to say...they are all fantastic.

Bushcrafter, Mini-Kephart & LTWK Pronghorn were the knives that surprised me the most...too many choices, but good first world problems.
So it goes.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Back at home with the Bushcrafter tonight.

TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I just got the notification that my pre order BRK PSK EDC in Magnacut has come in. I haven't bought a BRK in quite a while, so I'm pretty excited to see this one. :)

Unfortunately, I'm traveling, so it'll probably get home before I will. Fortunately, I'm drinking a lot of rum on a beach in Belize, with my wife and kids (well, the kids aren't drinking rum).
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:16 pm
I just got the notification that my pre order BRK PSK EDC in Magnacut has come in. I haven't bought a BRK in quite a while, so I'm pretty excited to see this one. :)

Unfortunately, I'm traveling, so it'll probably get home before I will. Fortunately, I'm drinking a lot of rum on a beach in Belize, with my wife and kids (well, the kids aren't drinking rum).
Man, I am so jealous!

My free money is going elsewhere right now, but I'd love to pick one of these up. I think the PSK EDC may just be the perfect little EDC, and Magnacut is fantastic. Enjoy it, Tom!