Bark River Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kobold

Re: Bark River Knives

Post by kobold »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:19 pm
kobold wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:14 pm
My next one is a 3v Kephart.
I would really like to try a Kephart-style knife at some point. I’m not sure if it will be a Barkie or not. The LT Wright Genesis makes a really convincing argument, especially when DLT orders them in 3V.

I think compared to other Kepharts the BRKT Kephart is the one with the thinnest blade, plus not sure if there is anything else convex. That's why I like it. It will be for the kitchen.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
kobold

Post by kobold »

Airlsee wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:43 pm
kobold wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:22 pm
^ Very nice Airlsee. How do you like the Mini Kephart?

It is one of my favorite fixed blades and a near perfect small camp or EDC blade.

.088" stock full height convex grind
3-3/4” blade
3.2oz knife
1.6oz sheath

The D-shaped handle is extremely comfortable, the knife is light and nimble in hand, and disappears on the belt. It's a perfect light duty fixed blade for my uses, and is basically a camp oriented paring knife.

It is the BRK that surprised me the most and is one of my most pleasantly utilitarian fixed blades.

Compared to Mini Aurora and to get a sense of handle size...I wear a L glove.

Thanks a lot! My hand is also L. I think I will buy one.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

bushcraft scout…
Hate jimping. Why make a smooth ergo handle for your ungloved hand, then mess it all up with harsh jimping requiring you to wear gloves or chew up your thumb. The jimping design placement is off too. The handle is not wide so I had an indexing issue with holding it edge side up a few times in the dark while trying to make fire. I abused the knife using edge for ferro rod striking and rolled the edge. Spine not sharp enough to be a good striker for ferro rod. I did baton a bunch of soft wood without issue. The knife will have to be modded to be useful to me. Sheath is ok, I got the extra coating. I will see what it can do after I put my own edge on it. Factory edge, I gave it a 6 out of 10. my grind had a slight dip near the ricasso making it a tiny recurve that will have to be taken out. the handle with the hollow pins is pretty sweet with a few misses of quality control. I would definitely like to see a version without the jimping. With some modding, it will be useful but as is, it is a fixer upper. I wanted to love the knife, but could not. The indexing issue is the potentially worst thing about he design if you hold it wrong in the dark and put your thumb on the edge.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Fireman wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:48 pm
bushcraft scout…
I thought I would hate the jimping, but don’t really mind it in use. Most of the time, my thumb is actually in front of the jimping if I’m doing fine work, or I’m using a hammer grip anyway. I’ve actually heard that the jimping is there not for your thumb, but for striking a ferro rod. I haven’t used it for that yet, but maybe I’ll give it a shot tonight.

Fireman, have you tried anything from LT Wright? By the sound of it, something like the GNS might be right up your alley.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Apr 24, 2022 10:09 am
Fireman wrote:
Sat Apr 23, 2022 11:48 pm
bushcraft scout…
I thought I would hate the jimping, but don’t really mind it in use. Most of the time, my thumb is actually in front of the jimping if I’m doing fine work, or I’m using a hammer grip anyway. I’ve actually heard that the jimping is there not for your thumb, but for striking a ferro rod. I haven’t used it for that yet, but maybe I’ll give it a shot tonight.

Fireman, have you tried anything from LT Wright? By the sound of it, something like the GNS might be right up your alley.
I tried the jimping on the ferro rod to not very good results. It did work fine as a pairing knife for food prep. I would think the there would be a sharper spine considering the ferry rod loop. The jimping is just something to avoid and only the rear of my thumb touches it.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I want to thank everyone for comments and thoughts on BRK knives . I have been looking a different brands and seem to keep coming back to BRK and a couple others . I definitely will be buying something this year before Deer season. Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

This was a decent pairing

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

The unclaimed Bushcraft Scout pre-orders were released today. If you’re looking, there are some sweet options in there.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Fireman wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 2:38 pm
Is that the small forest axe?

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:29 pm
Fireman wrote:
Scandinavian forrest axe. Still waiting for my American Felling Axe and may get an Autine Large Forrest axe next https://autinetools.com/en/product/large-forest-axe
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Fireman wrote:
Tue Apr 26, 2022 12:42 am
kennethsime wrote:
Mon Apr 25, 2022 8:29 pm
Fireman wrote:
Scandinavian forrest axe. Still waiting for my American Felling Axe and may get an Autine Large Forrest axe next https://autinetools.com/en/product/large-forest-axe
I’ve never heard of Autine, but man do those tools look excellent.

I’m a fan of Hults Bruk, mostly because they’re carried by REI and I’ve gotten mine for well below MSRP via dividends and coupons. I did my best to take inspiration from your photo - I think the first is closest.

Bushcraft Scout / Kisa 26” 2lbs Head

Bushcrafter / Aneby 20” 2lbs Head

Ultralite Bushcrafter / Almike 16” 1lbs Head

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

Noice
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I managed to strop my Scout back to shaving phone book paper the other day, and finally had a chance to carve some feathers. WOW. I’ve never gotten thinner, more consistent feathers. I think my technique is improving, but the thing blade and sharp edge help a lot!

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I will most likely have a better experience when I redo the edge from Factory edge
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Fireman wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 2:13 pm
I will most likely have a better experience when I redo the edge from Factory edge
I think so.

Here's a video of my buddy making some really incredible feathers with the Scout, and fast!

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

excellent
kennethsime wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 10:25 pm
Fireman wrote:
Sun May 01, 2022 2:13 pm
I think so.

Here's a video of my buddy making some really incredible feathers with the Scout, and fast!

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I put a new edge on it but there will probably have to be a few sharpenings to correct mine from the factory with its edge/angle dip booboo. The new edge is much keener and feathers a lot better now. The issue I have is the lack of slabsidedness if you will to index and get a strong grip on the smaller size handle. It is almost as if there was more texture to the handle instead of a polish micarta, it would be better. The whole idea is a smaller and lighter knife and it does that well. I will spend more time with the knife to work out the kinks. next is to break the hard edges on the jimping and make the spine sharper for scraping
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Fireman wrote:
Mon May 02, 2022 12:47 pm
I put a new edge on it but there will probably have to be a few sharpenings to correct mine from the factory with its edge/angle dip booboo. The new edge is much keener and feathers a lot better now. The issue I have is the lack of slabsidedness if you will to index and get a strong grip on the smaller size handle. It is almost as if there was more texture to the handle instead of a polish micarta, it would be better. The whole idea is a smaller and lighter knife and it does that well. I will spend more time with the knife to work out the kinks. next is to break the hard edges on the jimping and make the spine sharper for scraping
Man, just be glad you didn't end up with an Ultralite Bushcrafter - the Scout feels ginormous by comparison!

One thing you might do, if you wanted a less-polished handle, is lightly sand the scales with 800-grit automotive sandpaper - I think that's what they use at the factory for the Matte finish. You could also call BRK to ask, and/or send it in to them to do a matte finish, but that does take a few weeks.

It could also be that you'd be happier with a larger knife with a more featured handle like the Aurora. The Bushcraft handle is rather neutral on purpose, although less neutral than say the LT Wright Genesis, in order to prevent hotspots after prolonged use. I do like it a lot, but I think I too prefer slightly more definition, and really love my Gunny and Bravo handles.

Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

BRKT BUSHCRAFTER IN HAND.JPG
So this came today...
"Some call me...Tim?"