Bark River Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Paraguy

Re: Bark River Knives

Post by Paraguy »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:40 am
Very excited about my UP Bravo. Great balance of qualities. Seems both durable but still with good cutting ability. It has belly but not too much and a dropped point with a centered tip. Due to the blade shape the grind is higher than the typical Bravo. The Navy burlap and natural liners look great. I’m ready to go camping!
Also, dobies are the best dogs. ;)

Great Danes.
"Some call me...Tim?"
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Rescued Mutts are the top dog!
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Agreed about rescues. Mines not a mut but she is a rescue. It’s been very rewarding!

Great Danes are terrific. I’ve been around a few.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Striking out on finding some of the smaller knives that you guys have shown/mentioned! Those Lil Canadians are a decent size, I just don't know if I like the looks of them though. I just love all the different handle materials available on these knives!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Bark River and thin are hard to say in the same sentence. They have historically always made thick knives, even the smaller ones. They have started doing LT versions of some of their more popular knives due to many requests. Some of their smaller knives still use 4mm stock.

I might pick up the Bird and Trout soon. It’s one of their thinnest. Looks like the next run will be S45VN.

Unfortunately supply is fairly dried up. I assume it a combination of increased demand with covid restrictions.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 8:40 am
Striking out on finding some of the smaller knives that you guys have shown/mentioned! Those Lil Canadians are a decent size, I just don't know if I like the looks of them though. I just love all the different handle materials available on these knives!
L.T. Wright makes some Canadian-style blades called Northern Hunters. The small ones use 3/32" stock. AEB-L, and I seem to remember 3v being offered in the past. Rumors say their heat treat is towards the softer side, but I cannot confirm. Certainly not as purdy as the BRK ones.
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

Duplicate
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:08 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
L.T. Wright makes some Canadian-style blades called Northern Hunters. The small ones use 3/32" stock. AEB-L, and I seem to remember 3v being offered in the past. Rumors say their heat treat is towards the softer side, but I cannot confirm. Certainly not as purdy as the BRK ones.
I haven't hear good stuff about the edge retention of their steel either mostly because a lot of it is 1075.
"Some call me...Tim?"
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

That must have been awhile back as most of their stuff is A2, with some 3v and AEB-L as well.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Paraguy wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:35 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 12:08 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
I haven't hear good stuff about the edge retention of their steel either mostly because a lot of it is 1075.

Their machete is 1075, O1 is their base steel.
So it goes.
bearfacedkiller

My only LT Wright is a Large Pouter in AEB-L.

Fit and finish is great. The edge is way too thick. Need to regrind it a little. Love the blade profile.

That rack is from my first deer. A 196 pound 8 pointer.
-Darby
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I just got to thinking, I know Julia also likes Bark River Knives and I haven't seen her here in a bit. Just checked, she hasn't signed on in a week now. She's usually here everyday. I hope everything is ok with her and her family, has anybody heard from her, maybe other forms of social media?

-Rick
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Paraguy wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:35 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:56 pm
That must have been awhile back as most of their stuff is A2, with some 3v and AEB-L as well.
Yea, I think Paraguy must be referring to their entry-level bushcraft model, which does use 1075 because it's dirt cheap - that's how they get a handmade, made-in-the-us fixed blade for under $100.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:42 am
Fit and finish is great. The edge is way too thick. Need to regrind it a little. Love the blade profile.
Another great looking knife. I've been thinking about one of their little guys as an Izula EDC alternative - DLT has a Small Workhorse that looks nice. Then again, Bark River has the PSK. Decision, decisions...
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:24 pm
bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:42 am
Another great looking knife. I've been thinking about one of their little guys as an Izula EDC alternative - DLT has a Small Workhorse that looks nice. Then again, Bark River has the PSK. Decision, decisions...
Barkriver>Esee
"Some call me...Tim?"
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:36 am
I just got to thinking, I know Julia also likes Bark River Knives and I haven't seen her here in a bit. Just checked, she hasn't signed on in a week now. She's usually here everyday. I hope everything is ok with her and her family, has anybody heard from her, maybe other forms of social media?
All is well! Life just got crazy when school let out for the summer and our business is super busy. And I've gotten more active on IG and facebook. So I just took a little break from the forum. But I missed you guys!

So...what did I miss??? ;) :D
Last edited by JuPaul on Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:01 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:36 am
Duplicate post
- Julia

JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:40 am
Very excited about my UP Bravo. Great balance of qualities. Seems both durable but still with good cutting ability. It has belly but not too much and a dropped point with a centered tip. Due to the blade shape the grind is higher than the typical Bravo. The Navy burlap and natural liners look great. I’m ready to go camping!

Also, dobies are the best dogs. ;)

You know I love the Dobies! They ARE the best.

I seriously thought about pre-ordering one of the UP Bravos - it looks really nice. Now I'm wanting the Bravo 1LT that's coming soon...
- Julia

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Good to know all is well Julia!

I've sold off 3 knives this past week, I've got $550 burning a hole in my pocket now! Another CRK or a fixed blade...decisions decisions!

-Rick
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:21 pm
Good to know all is well Julia!

I've sold off 3 knives this past week, I've got $550 burning a hole in my pocket now! Another CRK or a fixed blade...decisions decisions!
Oh that is a very tough call! I feel like you need to try a Sebenza...at the same time, you could get two nice fixed blades for that price. What fixed blades are you considering?

Oh btw, do you use Facebook? You can find some pretty great deals on lightly used Sebenzas in the CRK b/s/t group there.
- Julia