Bark River Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kobold

Re: Bark River Knives

Post by kobold »

ULB, Gunny Hunter, Bravo 1 LT, Aurora 2, Tundra, Mini Kalahari Sportsman, Mini Tundra, PSK.
Last edited by kobold on Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

kobold wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 7:55 am
Bro, did you make those yourself up in Michigan?
That's such a neat program they have.
I'm particularly interested in the centerpiece there with the blue scales. Can you elaborate please?
kobold

Post by kobold »

MacLaren wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:17 am
kobold wrote:
I'm particularly interested in the centerpiece there with the blue scales. Can you elaborate please?

A Grind In would be awesome, but I only wish, it is all DLT trading.

The one in the middle is the Aurora 2 in 3V and elder burl. I use it to chop off fish heads and the Mini Kalahari Sportsman is doing the rest.

https://youtu.be/GLrjod6yocg
Last edited by kobold on Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

kobold wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:34 am
MacLaren wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 8:17 am
kobold wrote:

A Grind In would be awesome, but I only wish, it is all DLT trading.

The one in the middle is the Aurora 2 in 3V and elder burl. I use it to chop off fish heads and the Mini Kalahari Sportsman is doing the rest.
Cool. Thank you!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

kobold wrote:
Man, that is one gorgeous collection Kobold. I applaud your OCD once more!

If you had to pick just one to keep, which would it be?
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

The Forest Scandi came in this morning.

This is perhaps the most comfortable fixed blade I've ever held - absolutely no chance of a hotspot ever developing. It's roughly the same size as the Gunny (4"), but with a much thicker handle. I think I like the Gunny better in hand for most uses, but if I were stuck out in the cold I think I'd be grateful for the Forest Scandi's comfortable handle. It'll definitely be coming camping with me.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kobold

Post by kobold »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:14 pm
kobold wrote:
Man, that is one gorgeous collection Kobold. I applaud your OCD once more!

If you had to pick just one to keep, which would it be?

From the picture: it is very tempting to just go with the Bravo 1 LT as a middle of the road option. It is so proportional and capable.. But I know I am carrying mostly smaller folders, a smaller fixie makes more sense, so my pick is the Mini Tundra with a blade length only 0.28" shorter than the Bravo1, but its lighter and smaller. It's the second one from the right.

I tested the UL Bushcrafter against the Mini Tundra for slicing action and even though the Mini Tundra has thicker stock, its full convex grind managed to match the thinner, but only scandivex grind of the UL Bushcrafter. Also because the 4 inch blade on the Mini Tundra is more useful than just 3,3" on the ULB and its thicker stock is good to have in a one-and-only, do-everything knife.
Along the same train of thought the Gunny Hunter would be my second choice.

But man, your Forest Scandi is absolutely stunning! :smiling-heart-eyes Congrats, and use it in good health!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

kobold wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:07 am
From the picture: it is very tempting to just go with the Bravo 1 LT as a middle of the road option. It is so proportional and capable.. But I know I am carrying mostly smaller folders, a smaller fixie makes more sense, so my pick is the Mini Tundra with a blade length only 0.28" shorter than the Bravo1, but its lighter and smaller. It's the second one from the right.

I tested the UL Bushcrafter against the Mini Tundra for slicing action and even though the Mini Tundra has thicker stock, its full convex grind managed to match the thinner, but only scandivex grind of the UL Bushcrafter. Also because the 4 inch blade on the Mini Tundra is more useful than just 3,3" on the ULB and its thicker stock is good to have in a one-and-only, do-everything knife.
Along the same train of thought the Gunny Hunter would be my second choice.

But man, your Forest Scandi is absolutely stunning! :smiling-heart-eyes Congrats, and use it in good health!
Agreed, I think about a 4" blade is ideal, and as light as possible. My Gunny Hunter LT is just about ideal as a do-it-all companion knife, but I am looking forward to the ULB I have on pre-order to compare.

Sometimes I think my Bravo 1.25LT is too large, and I'd really prefer a Bravo 1 LT - then I chop off a branch as large as my thumb in one stroke and remember why the extra heft comes in handy. :cheap-sunglasses

One day I'll have to try a Canadian blade shape. They look a but "fugly" to me, but then so is my favorite Spyderco (the Stretch). I bet I love it.

kobold

Post by kobold »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 10:13 am

Sometimes I think my Bravo 1.25LT is too large, and I'd really prefer a Bravo 1 LT - then I chop off a branch as large as my thumb in one stroke and remember why the extra heft comes in handy. :cheap-sunglasses

One day I'll have to try a Canadian blade shape. They look a but "fugly" to me, but then so is my favorite Spyderco (the Stretch). I bet I love it.

Haha, yeah, that's how it goes. :-)

Careful with the ULB, it had a "must collect them all" effect on me!
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

This one arrived today. My first BRKT... Eventually, I could not resist.

A local retailer got a huge restocking of Gunny Hunter LT's recently, and this was the last one with a Drop Point blade.

Didn't have much time yet to have a closer look at. Will see...
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Granoo Fink wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:31 am

A local retailer got a huge restocking of Gunny Hunter LT's recently, and this was the last one with a Drop Point blade.

That's a great knife to start out with Granoo - a very capable knife in a nice convenient size. Hope you enjoy it, and let us know what you think when you get a chance to use it!

kobold

Post by kobold »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:36 am
Granoo Fink wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 11:31 am

That's a great knife to start out with Granoo - a very capable knife in a nice convenient size. Hope you enjoy it, and let us know what you think when you get a chance to use it!

Yes, great choice! A knife for life right there.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’ll echo sentiment here, nice one! In retrospect I should have held out for a Gunny LT.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:17 pm
I’ll echo sentiment here, nice one! In retrospect I should have held out for a Gunny LT.
If you head over to the Bark River Boys Facebook group, I would wager you'd have zero trouble making a trade like that happen.

bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yup, the Gunny Hunter LT looks like winner.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 3:44 pm
Woodpuppy wrote:
Thu Aug 26, 2021 2:17 pm
If you head over to the Bark River Boys Facebook group, I would wager you'd have zero trouble making a trade like that happen.
Perhaps, but I don’t/won’t use FB. I’ll probably look to sell or trade it over on BCUSA.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Tonight after a long day of work, after checking with the family, I cracked a beer about opened up Facebook. One of the first things I saw was this post on the BRK page. It made me smile from ear to ear.

I think this is a great example of what some people probably hate about Mike, but I love about him: he's frank - very, very frank.

kobold

Post by kobold »

Best to nip these kind of Internet rumors in the bud. :-)
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

Nice.

I would like to get an ULB in the near future, I guess it would probably have to be this upcoming run.

I put in a pre-order for a UP Gunny 6 months ago, but haven't heard an update on the production cycle.
So it goes.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

UP Gunny - Pre-Order - Shipped

I'm really excited about this one, the blade shape looks extremely versatile and 4.2" is just about perfect in a field fixed blade for me.

Since it was my first "pre-order" I had to get a little crazy with the handle combo; I'm hoping it shows up by the end of the week!

So it goes.