Bark River Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kobold

Re: Bark River Knives

Post by kobold »

I like the Aurora 2 in the kitchen. I hit a bone a few times, but the edge survived.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Well, here's another way into MagnaCut, this time in an even more practical EDC knife.

Bark River PSK EDC MagnaCut Pre-Order

Debating this one. I'd love to, but I already have three pre-orders going and I'm afraid they'll all come at once, haha. :smiling-cheeks
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kobold

Post by kobold »

That's so wicked. And also convenient. I almost feel like they should take my money. But I want something like a Kephart. Already have a PSK in Cru-Wear.

Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

I'm thinking of getting a Barkie Bushcrafter or an UltraLite bushcrafter does anyone have any experience with these knives?
"Some call me...Tim?"
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

I have used both and sold the bushcrafter. The ultralight is here to stay. They share the same shape, but are totally different knives in use. The bushcrafter is more of ehh…a bushcraft knife. Works fine, however I have a lot of knives that can fulfill that role even better imo. The ultralight is more of an edc knife with capabilities to be a light bushcraft knife. I have the one in elmax. What I absolutely like about the ulb is the thin bladestock.

Have you considered the mini aurora? It is one of my favorites. I have a few of them. Slightly longer blade then the ulb with a thin enough stock to cut well. Also the blade shape is more appealing to me. Sort of a spearpoint instead of a droppoint. Just a thought…

Here a pic. Not the best, but it will give you an idea.

Dan

kobold

Post by kobold »

+1 for ULB
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Danvp wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:30 pm
I have used both and sold the bushcrafter. The ultralight is here to stay. They share the same shape, but are totally different knives in use. The bushcrafter is more of ehh…a bushcraft knife. Works fine, however I have a lot of knives that can fulfill that role even better imo. The ultralight is more of an edc knife with capabilities to be a light bushcraft knife. I have the one in elmax. What I absolutely like about the ulb is the thin bladestock.

Have you considered the mini aurora? It is one of my favorites. I have a few of them. Slightly longer blade then the ulb with a thin enough stock to cut well. Also the blade shape is more appealing to me. Sort of a spearpoint instead of a droppoint. Just a thought…

Here a pic. Not the best, but it will give you an idea.

Dan

Thanks, Dan! I went ahead and bought the ultra-lite I personally love the look of it above the aurora and after some research it seems like it's close in size with the Mora no. 1 classic which is what I'm used to. Although I'm glad that the blade stock is a tad thicker (.01) Would you mind posting another comparison pic with another knife I might be more familiar with (Mora, Spyderco, Benchmade)? Thanks again!
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

kobold wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:08 pm
+1 for ULB
What do you like about it? I mostly choose it cus the price (181.25 USD! Instead of 209 USD for the full size) but I'm also more used to small-medium knives and have no trouble with batoning with them. I'm excited to use it for EDC on top of bushcraft.
If I decide I need a bigger knife ill probably just get a cold steel SRK in 3v for 125USD
"Some call me...Tim?"
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Paraguy wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:19 pm
Thanks, Dan! I went ahead and bought the ultra-lite I personally love the look of it above the aurora and after some research it seems like it's close in size with the Mora no. 1 classic which is what I'm used to. Although I'm glad that the blade stock is a tad thicker (.01) Would you mind posting another comparison pic with another knife I might be more familiar with (Mora, Spyderco, Benchmade)? Thanks again!
Where did you find an ULB in stock? For $181? People are all over those things like flies on hot butter.

I have both the ULB in 3V and the Bushcraft Scout in MagnaCut on pre-order. Definitely let us know how you like the ULB!
Paraguy wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:25 pm
If I decide I need a bigger knife ill probably just get a cold steel SRK in 3v for 125USD
You could do the Cold Steel SRK or the Benchmade Puuko (both more affordable ways to get 3V), but I bet that once you get a Barkie in your hand you'll want another. That's the thing - they multiply like rodents. In particular, the full-height convex grind is simply the best thing around for working with green wood.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:37 pm
Paraguy wrote:
Where did you find an ULB in stock? For $181? People are all over those things like flies on hot butter.

I have both the ULB in 3V and the Bushcraft Scout in MagnaCut on pre-order. Definitely let us know how you like the ULB!
Paraguy wrote:
You could do the Cold Steel SRK or the Benchmade Puuko (both more affordable ways to get 3V), but I bet that once you get a Barkie in your hand you'll want another. That's the thing - they multiply like rodents. In particular, the full-height convex grind is simply the best thing around for working with green wood.
If you act fast you can get one at optics planet theyre having a 10 percent off Cyber Monday sale.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

"Some call me...Tim?"
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Paraguy wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:50 pm
If you act fast you can get one at optics planet theyre having a 10 percent off Cyber Monday sale.
Ah, careful with them - rumor is they drop ship, and may not actually have the knife in stock.

Bark River is kind of a whole 'nother game when it comes to finding models you want. People complain about Spydercos being out of stock for 6 months, or inflated secondary market prices, but with some Barkies they're simply not for sale anywhere, no matter how much money you have to spend, and won't be until Mike makes some more.

Just to illustrate, here's a relatively base-model ULB for sale for a full $100 more than you paid Optics Planet on eBay right now. That's a pretty good price, actually. Here's a slightly higher-end model for $525.

I buy Barkies (and most knives now) from either DLT or Knives Ship Free. DLT has faster shipping, but sometimes KSF has a particular knife in stock. Both are preferred vendors for Bark River, and regularly run pre-orders so that you can get just what you want.

Mike (owner/founder) is pretty active in three Facebook groups (Bark River Knives, Bark River Boys, Bark River Knives Production Schedule), much like Sal here on the forum. The production schedule group is particularly important if you've got multiple pre-orders in the works!

skeeg11

Post by skeeg11 »

kobold wrote:
Sun Oct 31, 2021 9:57 pm
I like the Aurora 2 in the kitchen. I hit a bone a few times, but the edge survived.
LUV the pic.

Yours,

Wabbit Whackers anonymous member. :winking-tongue
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 9:08 pm
Paraguy wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 8:50 pm
Ah, careful with them - rumor is they drop ship, and may not actually have the knife in stock.

Bark River is kind of a whole 'nother game when it comes to finding models you want. People complain about Spydercos being out of stock for 6 months, or inflated secondary market prices, but with some Barkies they're simply not for sale anywhere, no matter how much money you have to spend, and won't be until Mike makes some more.

Just to illustrate, here's a relatively base-model ULB for sale for a full $100 more than you paid Optics Planet on eBay right now. That's a pretty good price, actually. Here's a slightly higher-end model for $525.

I buy Barkies (and most knives now) from either DLT or Knives Ship Free. DLT has faster shipping, but sometimes KSF has a particular knife in stock. Both are preferred vendors for Bark River, and regularly run pre-orders so that you can get just what you want.

Mike (owner/founder) is pretty active in three Facebook groups (Bark River Knives, Bark River Boys, Bark River Knives Production Schedule), much like Sal here on the forum. The production schedule group is particularly important if you've got multiple pre-orders in the works!
Ah yes... I had heard Mike say something about the drop shipping. I looked at DLT and KSF before buying from Optics Planet but I don't remember seeing a single Barkie. I'm not too worried because I think I got a good price and no one else has them in stock. So at worst ill be getting mine a little after the other preorders for a low price. I think it's a fair trade. I also trust their Customer service.(even though they get a bad rap)
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

I talked to an associate of BRK and he said this: "We have no idea what they are doing. Let me know if You get the Ultralite bushcrafter - I am confident they do not have any. They are NOT authorized dealers. I assume they buy from Blue Ridge knives as their distributor. We do not sell to them and we never have even spoken to them - ever."
"Some call me...Tim?"
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Paraguy wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:40 pm
I talked to an associate of BRK and he said this: "We have no idea what they are doing. Let me know if You get the Ultralite bushcrafter - I am confident they do not have any. They are NOT authorized dealers. I assume they buy from Blue Ridge knives as their distributor. We do not sell to them and we never have even spoken to them - ever."
Yea man, I'd be getting my money back if I were you. Just wait until they come in stock at DLT - it should be a big run.

kobold

Post by kobold »

Paraguy wrote:
kobold wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:08 pm
+1 for ULB
What do you like about it? I mostly choose it cus the price (181.25 USD! Instead of 209 USD for the full size) but I'm also more used to small-medium knives and have no trouble with batoning with them. I'm excited to use it for EDC on top of bushcraft.

The whole package. Other than the size, weight, blade material, handle, ergos, sheath, and fit and finish I really like the scandivex blade geometry and how thin it is. I only really need a bigger knife outdoors in cold weather. I like it so much, I bought two. :smiling-hearts
Danvp

Post by Danvp »

Paraguy wrote:

Youre welcome. The ultra lite is a good choice. And about the mini Aurora, tastes differ. I have made a picture with some other knives for comparison. Don't know if you own one of these to make it more relatable for you. Hope it helps.

All my BRK's i order from DLT. They make pictures of the actual knives themselves. So what you see is exactly what you get.

From top to bottom:
- Fallkniven F1
- Chaparral
- ULB
- Paramilitary 2 (yes, i know it still hasn't patina on it)
- Mora Companion

Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:54 pm
Paraguy wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:40 pm
Yea man, I'd be getting my money back if I were you. Just wait until they come in stock at DLT - it should be a big run.
The thing is they still haven't taken my money. They charge your card once the item ships.
Im a little confused about the DLT preorder. Do they charge you 25 dollars on top of the price? I also don't see an actual price anywhere.
"Some call me...Tim?"
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Danvp wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 4:48 am
Paraguy wrote:

Youre welcome. The ultra lite is a good choice. And about the mini Aurora, tastes differ. I have made a picture with some other knives for comparison. Don't know if you own one of these to make it more relatable for you. Hope it helps.

All my BRK's i order from DLT. They make pictures of the actual knives themselves. So what you see is exactly what you get.

From top to bottom:
- Fallkniven F1
- Chaparral
- ULB
- Paramilitary 2 (yes, i know it still hasn't patina on it)
- Mora Companion

Thanks! It looks like a great size! How does the blade stock thickness compare to the chap?
"Some call me...Tim?"