Bark River Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SG89

Re: Bark River Knives

Post by SG89 »

EPK Green Canvas Micarta. Tiny little guyImage
Lil native for size comparison
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

SG, that's the cutest little BR I've ever seen!
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
VashHash

Post by VashHash »

Bark river is really trying to get me. They re-release the sog bowie and I see a site that ships for free has a sale on the smoke jumper in 3v.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

VashHash wrote:
Sun Jan 03, 2021 8:11 am
Bark river is really trying to get me. They re-release the sog bowie and I see a site that ships for free has a sale on the smoke jumper in 3v.
Bark River has excellent sheaths as well.
I really wanna get that Highwayman III thats coming out. I already have a Teddy II on pre-order.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I've been looking at Bark River a lot recently. I'm dead set on a Bushcrafter LT in 3V, but they are few and far between. Mike said they were "on schedule," to be produced again, but lord knows how long that will be. The Wilderness Explorer and Mountaineer look nice too. Hard to beat handmade American knives.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I’m in line for a Mountaineer in Cruwear. Cautiously optimistic as there was no final price listed.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

I just picked up the Highwayman III with a Moran-style handle. I find that handle is too big for my hand to grip. I may try to grind it down myself or shoot BRK an email asking if they'd resize it for me. I also picked up one of the V44 LT bowies with a stacked leather handle...that is quickly becoming my new favorite big knife.
--Jeremy
kobold

Post by kobold »

Bravo 1 3V drop at DLT and KSF.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Bark River Bravo 1.25 LT arrived today - I got tired of waiting for a Bushcrafter and decided to just bite the bullet.

Very happy with the fit & finish - impeccable. Sharp as a razor, and the convex grind is svelte. Never had polished micarta handles before, excited to see how it feels after some use.

I do think the handle could be a little more... filling? Again, won't really know until I get a chance to use it.

Extra stoked on the sheath - not only is it made from four layers of luscious leather, but it comes with a built-in scout carry option and fits real snug. Love it.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Nice Bravo! I got my UP Bravo yesterday too.

The Bravo handle is great but I agree it could be bigger. I like big handles. I have beat my hands up pretty good throughout life and bigger handles are more comfortable for me. That said, the Bravo handle works better for me than most. The Bushcraft/Proficient handles are more hand filling as are the full size Becker handles.

Enjoy it! I’ll get a 1.25LT one of these days. I had a Bravo1 and liked the ergos but the blade was too short and the stock was way too thick. The 1.25LT fixes both of those issues.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Selling off a few knives now, it's inevitable I finally grab one of these!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Very excited about my UP Bravo. Great balance of qualities. Seems both durable but still with good cutting ability. It has belly but not too much and a dropped point with a centered tip. Due to the blade shape the grind is higher than the typical Bravo. The Navy burlap and natural liners look great. I’m ready to go camping!

Also, dobies are the best dogs. ;)

Last edited by bearfacedkiller on Tue Jun 15, 2021 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

The collection as of now.

Mountain Man 5” CPM3V Antique bone micarta with red liners - Basically a classic butcher knife with modern materials. 2mm stock but most of the blade is thinner than that. Lives in my kitchen but sometimes goes camping when we use the pop-up camper.

UP Bravo A2 Navy burlap micarta and natural liners - Just got it. Gonna be my new Bushcraft knife but should make a fine hunting and game processing blade if need be.

Wilderness Explorer Cruwear Green canvas micarta - Just so cool! Love this thing. Mostly use it to process large game but it has definitely gone camping a few times and has done some bushcrafting but isn’t ideal for that. Excellent at butchering deer.

Clip Point Hunter CPM3V Black canvas micarta - I have only used this to process game. I’ll bring it on hunts as a field knife too. Wouldn’t be my first choice as a Bushcraft knife due to the upswept tip.

Bobcat Hunter CPM154 Jigged bone, brass hardware and stainless blade - Most used knife here. Love it. Makes a great EDC, field dresses game very well, can be used on small game and the edge is thin enough to be a great wood carver. It is as small as I can go and still comfortably get a four finger grip.

Kephart 5” CPM4V Natural canvas micarta- Beast of a Kephart. Handle is very hand filling. 3mm stock is durable enough for some hard use. I just like Kepharts for Bushcraft.

Kephart 4” CPM3V Desert ironwood - Wow! This thing is great! If I need a lighter Bushcraft knife because I have a hatchet then this is the one. Has 2.5mm stock and thin grind carves very well. Field dressed a deer the year before last with it. I have used this a ton.

Mini Kephart CPM3V Bocote - Bought because I like kepharts and wanted one for edc. 2.5mm stock and very lightweight. I have carried this one a lot. Both for EDC and hiking. It would also be great for field dressing game. Did I mention it is very lightweight?

North country EDC A2 Black canvas micarta with red liners - Despite the name I only EDC it a little. It’s a chunky monkey, especially compared to the Mini Kephart and Bobcat Hunter. It has 4mm stock and a thick hand filling handle. Makes a great hunting/field dressing knife or small stout woods knife. For how small it is I have beat the snot out of it. For a small knife the handle is super comfortable.
-Darby
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

That ironwood Kephart is beautiful, too. :)
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 8:40 am
Very excited about my UP Bravo. Great balance of qualities. Seems both durable but still with good cutting ability. It has belly but not too much and a dropped point with a centered tip. Due to the blade shape the grind is higher than the typical Bravo. The Navy burlap and natural liners look great. I’m ready to go camping!

Also, dobies are the best dogs. ;)

Very nice! I'm on the pre-order list for the UP Gunny and really excited to try that UP blade. I'm glad your post only helped build the suspense.
So it goes.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Off the top of anyone's head, what are some of the smaller/thinner ground knives that Bark River has to offer?

-Rick
vivi

Post by vivi »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:12 pm
Off the top of anyone's head, what are some of the smaller/thinner ground knives that Bark River has to offer?
mini and micro canadians
:unicorn
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Tue Jun 15, 2021 1:12 pm

Mini Kephart; I think it is one of their most useful everyday blades. Mine is out constantly, a lot of others don't get to come out of their sheaths nearly as often...

ETA: Pictures. 'Cause why not?

Mini Kephart = 2.27mm
Adventurer = 3.06mm
Para 3 = 3.58mm

So it goes.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Thanks fellas! I'll take a look around.

-Rick
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Well, I carved up quite a bit of cardboard with the Bravo today, and just have to say the edge was a bit underwhelming. Maybe it was the edge, it was the convex grind, maybe just the blade stock thickness - my Spydercos all came sharper out of the box! Still excited to see how it cuts wood, though.

Darby, that is a fantastic collection. I didn't realize that the UP blade profile had a centered tip - clutch for drilling! The Wilderness line is hands-down the best looking fixed blades out there, I think. My only problem is I don't hunt, so I'd really just be buying one to look at, lol. I think I'm going to have to limit myself to one BRK/year, but the draw to collect them all is certainly strong. The Aurora, Gunny, ULB, and Bushcrafter LT are all on the list so far.

Your kepharts look great too - I've been debating an L.T. Wright Genesis or maybe Gen 5, but those BRK Kepharts look fantastic.