Bark River Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TomAiello

Re: Bark River Knives

Post by TomAiello »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:32 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:57 am
I have never owned the Caper, but I have a much-too-large collection of fixed blades in that size (roughly 3" blade) range.

Is weight one of your main criteria? If not, I'd recommend having a look at the Bradford Guardian 3, which is my personal favorite non-custom in the small fixed EDC blade category.
Thank you , it’s too small in handle. So still looking for another knife to fit my needs . MG2
Manixguy, you should check out the 'Fixed Blade in Magnacut' thread and look at the Schwarz Overland. I just got mine and it's definitely got a bigger handle. It's noticeably heavier, so it might not work for you, but the handle size is probably what you're looking for.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Apr 12, 2022 6:24 pm
Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 1:32 pm
TomAiello wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:57 am
I have never owned the Caper, but I have a much-too-large collection of fixed blades in that size (roughly 3" blade) range.

Is weight one of your main criteria? If not, I'd recommend having a look at the Bradford Guardian 3, which is my personal favorite non-custom in the small fixed EDC blade category.
Thank you , it’s too small in handle. So still looking for another knife to fit my needs . MG2
Manixguy, you should check out the 'Fixed Blade in Magnacut' thread and look at the Schwarz Overland. I just got mine and it's definitely got a bigger handle. It's noticeably heavier, so it might not work for you, but the handle size is probably what you're looking for.
Thank you for keeping me in mind , very kind of you . I will take a look at it . Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
michaelyogi

Post by michaelyogi »

IMG_2580.jpg
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

...and another one's on the way.

This is my Ultralite Bushcrafter pre-order. I wasn't sure I was going to go through with it - but once I saw the pictures, I couldn't resist. I'm particularly excited about the ambi pouch sheath, the fire steel loop, and the nice deep carry.

I think I'm going to slow down after this one. I'd like to try an Aurora. I'd like to try something bigger, like a Bravo 3. I'd like to try something with a classic stacked leather handle, like a Quartermaster or a 1909 Bowie. I'd like to try something small, like a PSK EDC or a Mini Fox River. I think I can space those ones out a bit more though, and perhaps make room for other knives.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I watched both. Shame about the DBK knife, but nice that they’ll replace it under warranty.

I don’t speak a lick of Italian, but it looked like the guy was having a good time with his Scout.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

ULB has landed!

I think this one can finally replace my LT Wright Frontier Valley as my edc, but I think I’ll need another sheath. I’m thinking a Delta Shield Mini, or maybe a pocket sheath. The Ambi 5 is a fantastic sheath, and I’m stoked on the fire steel loop, but I want something less conspicuous for EDC.

I’m happy to report that the ULB batons, feathers, and strikes a ferro rod just fine. I do think I prefer the Bushcraft Scout for taking into the woods. The thicker handle, longer blade length, and thinner grind are really sweet.

Glad I went ahead and ordered this one. I wasn’t sure, because I already had the Scout, but this knife is stands on it’s own.

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

It is nice to have a super stainless bushcraft knife
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

michaelyogi wrote:
Wed Apr 13, 2022 7:46 pm
IMG_2580.jpg
Ooo, is that the Golok? Looks like a heck of a chopper!

Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Fireman wrote:
Sat Apr 16, 2022 11:31 pm
It is nice to have a super stainless bushcraft knife
A super stainless tool steel! What’s not to love? I think this steel’s going to be game changing, but more important is the scientific approach to developing it. If applied to other steels, think of the potential. A stainless CPM-M4? Be still my beating heart!!
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I’m having a serious case of BRK envy ! I need to stay away from this thread , it’s going to make me crazy or buy one .Dan
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Manixguy@1994 wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:29 am
I’m having a serious case of BRK envy ! I need to stay away from this thread , it’s going to make me crazy or buy one .Dan
The hardest part is that they multiply much like Spydies - you can’t have just one. :hand-over-mouth

kobold

Post by kobold »

My next one is a 3v Kephart.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

My current Barkies:

Golok II - A2
Aurora LT - 3V
Bushcrafter - Cruwear
UP Gunny - A2
Bush Seax Bantam - A2
Kalahari Mini-Sportsman - CPM-154
Mini Kephart - 3V
Mini Aurora - 3V
Adventurer - Elmax
So it goes.
kobold

Post by kobold »

^ Very nice Airlsee. How do you like the Mini Kephart?
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

kobold wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 1:14 pm
My next one is a 3v Kephart.
I would really like to try a Kephart-style knife at some point. I’m not sure if it will be a Barkie or not. The LT Wright Genesis makes a really convincing argument, especially when DLT orders them in 3V.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Airlsee wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 3:07 pm

My current Barkies:

Golok II - A2
Aurora LT - 3V
Bushcrafter - Cruwear
UP Gunny - A2
Bush Seax Bantam - A2
Kalahari Mini-Sportsman - CPM-154
Mini Kephart - 3V
Mini Aurora - 3V
Adventurer - Elmax
Excellent collection, as Kobold wrote. I’m curious about the Golok - is it more of a chopper, or more of a machete?

Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

kobold wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 10:22 pm
^ Very nice Airlsee. How do you like the Mini Kephart?

It is one of my favorite fixed blades and a near perfect small camp or EDC blade.

.088" stock full height convex grind
3-3/4” blade
3.2oz knife
1.6oz sheath

The D-shaped handle is extremely comfortable, the knife is light and nimble in hand, and disappears on the belt. It's a perfect light duty fixed blade for my uses, and is basically a camp oriented paring knife.

It is the BRK that surprised me the most and is one of my most pleasantly utilitarian fixed blades.

ImageImage

Compared to Mini Aurora and to get a sense of handle size...I wear a L glove.
Last edited by Airlsee on Mon Apr 18, 2022 12:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
So it goes.
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Apr 17, 2022 11:20 pm
Excellent collection, as Kobold wrote. I’m curious about the Golok - is it more of a chopper, or more of a machete?

Thanks guys!

It's a beast of a chopper at 3/16" and 21oz. It's great for de-limbing and splitting small logs. I've abused the one I have and thought I had bent it once when I had it stuck in a large stump. After I had finally gotten it unstuck it was perfectly straight, and ready for more. It is really an awesome blade and I'm glad to have one.

So it goes.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »