Bark River Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
michaelyogi

Re: Bark River Knives

Post by michaelyogi »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:37 am
michaelyogi wrote:
Sun Mar 20, 2022 1:19 pm
IMG_2569.jpg
Is that a highland special?

I wish they’d bring back the highland and woodland specials. Sure would love a matching set.
Yes, a Highland Special. Sweet knife, a bit small, but perfect for working on the inside of a deer, when you cant see the tip of the knife.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

MacLaren wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:19 pm
Yall that like Bark River should give Lon Humphrey a try. Here's his Delta in 52100 5.4" w/ Desert Ironwood handles and does come with a nice sheath - all are hand forged. No two will be exactly alike. They are the sharpest outta the box you will see too.
Man that is one gorgeous knife MacLaren. The folks in the Bark River FB group love their Lon Humphreys, TRCs, and LT Wrights. Too many Barkies that I want right now, but eventually I'd like to expand my horizons a bit.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:09 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Mon Mar 21, 2022 12:19 pm
Yall that like Bark River should give Lon Humphrey a try. Here's his Delta in 52100 5.4" w/ Desert Ironwood handles and does come with a nice sheath - all are hand forged. No two will be exactly alike. They are the sharpest outta the box you will see too.
Man that is one gorgeous knife MacLaren. The folks in the Bark River FB group love their Lon Humphreys, TRCs, and LT Wrights. Too many Barkies that I want right now, but eventually I'd like to expand my horizons a bit.
Cool beans man.
Im definetly getting another BR Teddy II - does Mike still do the resin wood? Where has those pretty colors in the wood? Thats the kind of Teddy II I would love to have again.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

I have pondering getting a smaller fixed blade and came across the BRK Caper Necker . Does anyone have any experience with this knife ? MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have never owned the Caper, but I have a much-too-large collection of fixed blades in that size (roughly 3" blade) range.

Is weight one of your main criteria? If not, I'd recommend having a look at the Bradford Guardian 3, which is my personal favorite non-custom in the small fixed EDC blade category.
Manixguy@1994

Post by Manixguy@1994 »

TomAiello wrote:
Sun Mar 27, 2022 11:57 am
I have never owned the Caper, but I have a much-too-large collection of fixed blades in that size (roughly 3" blade) range.

Is weight one of your main criteria? If not, I'd recommend having a look at the Bradford Guardian 3, which is my personal favorite non-custom in the small fixed EDC blade category.
Thank you , it’s too small in handle. So still looking for another knife to fit my needs . MG2
MNOSD 0002 / Do more than is required of you . Patton
Nothing makes earth so spacious as to have friends at a distance; they make the latitudes and longitudes.
Henry David Thoreau
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I decided to carry these two over the weekend.

Normally, I try to keep a rotation going. It’s been really hard to rotate either of these out this week.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Finally got a weekend up in the mountains with my fiancée.

I ordered the Bushcrafter when they dropped on Tuesday, it shipped Wednesday. Originally scheduled for Saturday delivery, I was elated when it arrived early on Friday, just in time for our trip. DLT strikes again! It was unboxed and packed up almost immediately.

While neither knife got used for much beyond opening packages and slicing up apples, I was pretty happy to take both Bushcrafters into the backcountry. After all, 2 is 1, and 1 is none, right? I think the Bushcrafter will give my Gunny Hunter LT a run for its money. While it’s a bit heavier due to the thicker blade stock, the handle is just that much more comfortable. I do wish they’d make this one with 1/8” blade stock.

The Bushcraft scout is a fantastic EDC knife, especially in the mountains - perhaps less so in the city. A bit more capable than my LTWK Frontier Valley, and almost as easy to carry due to the extremely light weight. It is a bit more conspicuous, riding in the stock sheath, but rides high enough that I haven’t gotten any funny looks yet.

When we got home, I figured I’d take an updated shot of the collection.

From the top:
- Bravo 1.25 LT
- Bushcrafter
- Gunny Hunter LT
- North Country EDC
- Forest Scandi
- Bushcraft Scout

Hope that’s helpful for anyone looking into BRKs!
Last edited by kennethsime on Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mister Coffee

Post by Mister Coffee »

@kennethsime: Good post, Ken. I have the Bravo 1.25 LT, but I haven't filled out my collection with the smaller ones yet. ;)
benben

Post by benben »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Apr 04, 2022 10:34 pm
Finally got a weekend up in the mountains with my fiancée.

I ordered the Bushcrafter when they dropped on Tuesday, it shipped Wednesday. Originally scheduled for Saturday delivery, I was elated when it arrived early on Friday, just in time for our trip. DLT strikes again! It was unboxed and packed up almost immediately.

While neither knife got used for much beyond opening packages and slicing up apples, I was pretty happy to take both Bushcrafters into the backcountry. After all, 2 is 1, and 1 is none, right? I think the Bushcrafter will give my Gunny Hunter LT a run for its money. While it’s a bit heavier due to the thicker blade stock, the handle is just that much more comfortable. I do wish they’d make this one with 1/8” blade stock.

The Bushcraft scout is a fantastic EDC knife, especially in the mountains - perhaps less so in the city. A bit more capable than my LTWK Frontier Valley, and almost as easy to carry due to the extremely light weight. It is a bit more conspicuous, riding in the stock sheath, but rides high enough that I haven’t gotten any funny looks yet.

When we got home, I figured I’d take an updated shot of the collection.

From the top:
- Bravo 1.25 LT
- Bushcrafter
- Gunny Hunter LT
- North Country EDC
- Forest Scandi
- Bushcraft Scout

Hope that’s helpful for anyone looking into BRKs!
Serious question, and just curious. Do you like Green Micarta? ;)

Everyone of those look fantastic! That Gunny Hunter LT is really calling to me! Great post!
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Mister Coffee wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:00 am
@kennethsime: Good post, Ken. I have the Bravo 1.25 LT, but I haven't filled out my collection with the smaller ones yet. ;)
Thanks Mister!

The Bravo 1.25 LT was my first BRK as well, and it is an excellent knife. If I was going for a 'one tool option," out in the woods, it would probably be my choice. That thing chops through green branches the size of my thumb no problem!

I don't find myself carrying it that often now that I have a few more to pick from - I almost always pick a lighter-weight knife.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

benben wrote:
Tue Apr 05, 2022 8:45 am
Serious question, and just curious. Do you like Green Micarta? ;)

Everyone of those look fantastic! That Gunny Hunter LT is really calling to me! Great post!
How'd you guess? :winking-tongue

I think I've settled on Green Canvas Micarta with Brass pins. I tried to get a bit fancier on some of my preorders - the NC EDC and the Bushcraft Scout have Natural Micarta liners, and the BS has Mosaic pins. I don't think the added expense is worth it to me. If I was trying to go fancy, say some Elk scales, or Desert Ironwood with Turquoise spacers, I'd probably go with mosaics again.

The Gunny Hunter LT is a fantastic knife. Hard to beat (just under) 4" of 1/8"-thick CPM 3V. It reminds me a lot of my Mora Kansbol in hand, and that's a really good thing.
Last edited by kennethsime on Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I ordered the Bushcraft scout with linen micarta and hollow pins. Can’t wait to get it. Looks like a small, light weight EDC fixed blade dream. Love that it is Magna Cut. Not a knife to abuse being thinner stock, but I am sure it can be quite useful for most non battoning bushcraft uses. Being Magna Cut and linen micarta, it will be practically impervious to the. elements.
:winking-tongue Mule Team Army 001
MNOSD 008 :usflag
Image Stable Mules; Z-Max, Z-Wear, Magna Cut, SRS13, Rex 76, Rex T15.
Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I am looking at it as a back country food prep paring knife that can be great for making fire, traps and small bushcraft tasks. Can’t wait to get mine in the mail. Will consider making a custom kydex sheath for a camp neck knife. I also got the hollow pins to lash it to a spear if I am in hog/bear country.
kennethsime wrote:
Mon Mar 14, 2022 11:20 pm
Got the Bushcraft Scout in today.

It’s a fantastic knife, but man is it small!

The handle is a bit tight for me, but the knife is very nimble and secure in hand. The handle is much slimmer, and much less hand-filling than the NC EDC, though it has the same length grip.

It’s right between the Frontier Valley, my favorite edc, and the Gunny Hunter LT, my favorite hiking knife. I’m sure it could fill both roles, but I’ll be curious to see if it gets enough belt time.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Fireman wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:37 am
I ordered the Bushcraft scout with linen micarta and hollow pins. Can’t wait to get it. Looks like a small, light weight EDC fixed blade dream. Love that it is Magna Cut. Not a knife to abuse being thinner stock, but I am sure it can be quite useful for most non battoning bushcraft uses. Being Magna Cut and linen micarta, it will be practically impervious to the. elements.
I think you'll be quite happy with it. It is VERY thin, and cuts up an apple just like you would with a paring knife. Also shaves really great feather sticks thanks to the think geometry. I think you'll be fine for anything but batoning sticks thicker than your finger.

It took me a minute to get used to the jimping, but I really don't mind it at this point. Definitely the easiest Barkie to EDC in my collection.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I took some comparison shots for Paraguy in another thread, and thought I'd share the album link here too. The Bushcrafter and Bushscraft shark are compared to the Mora Kansbol & Eldris, the Spyderco Mule Team, and the SPK Shark, with more profile shots, spine shots, and in-hand shots.

Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

kennethsime wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 9:27 am

I took some comparison shots for Paraguy in another thread, and thought I'd share the album link here too. The Bushcrafter and Bushscraft shark are compared to the Mora Kansbol & Eldris, the Spyderco Mule Team, and the SPK Shark, with more profile shots, spine shots, and in-hand shots.
How do the Scout and Bushcrafter compare when it comes to feathersticking?
"Some call me...Tim?"
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Paraguy wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 10:26 am
How do the Scout and Bushcrafter compare when it comes to feathersticking?
The really thin edge on the Bushcraft Scout just seems to help a lot with getting nice, thin feathers.

I actually haven't featherstitched with the Bushcrafter yet, but I would expect the Bushcarfter to feather just fine, as all my Barkies do. The convex grind really eats through green wood like nobody's business!

Fireman

Post by Fireman »

I can see it being on my neck around camp quite a bit and I think I will put a long lanyard on it for inside pocket EDC. My x large hands will most likely be too big for the handle but being so rounded, probably not an issue. I think I will call it my “Fiddle” knife, for just fiddling around and looking for excuses to use it.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Fireman wrote:
Wed Apr 06, 2022 7:09 pm
I can see it being on my neck around camp quite a bit and I think I will put a long lanyard on it for inside pocket EDC. My x large hands will most likely be too big for the handle but being so rounded, probably not an issue. I think I will call it my “Fiddle” knife, for just fiddling around and looking for excuses to use it.
I’m XL as well, and the Scout is definitely small but nimble. I do prefer the larger grip of the Bushcrafter for a heavy duty work knife, but the scout has been great for EDC.