Bark River Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TkoK83Spy

Re: Bark River Knives

Post by TkoK83Spy »

JuPaul wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:14 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:21 pm
Good to know all is well Julia!

I've sold off 3 knives this past week, I've got $550 burning a hole in my pocket now! Another CRK or a fixed blade...decisions decisions!
Oh that is a very tough call! I feel like you need to try a Sebenza...at the same time, you could get two nice fixed blades for that price. What fixed blades are you considering?

Oh btw, do you use Facebook? You can find some pretty great deals on lightly used Sebenzas in the CRK b/s/t group there.
Tough call indeed! I'm all over the place on the fixed blades right now. Wouldn't mind something a little larger than the Guardian 3, just for the heck of it. But I have been eyeing those new Sebenza 31's with the natural micarta inlays to go along with my Large Inkosi with the black micarta.

Nope, no Facebook for me. My wife has it, but I don't think she knows how much those CRK's actually cost...I don't think she'd care to help me find one :p
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:24 pm
Tough call indeed! I'm all over the place on the fixed blades right now. Wouldn't mind something a little larger than the Guardian 3, just for the heck of it. But I have been eyeing those new Sebenza 31's with the natural micarta inlays to go along with my Large Inkosi with the black micarta.

Nope, no Facebook for me. My wife has it, but I don't think she knows how much those CRK's actually cost...I don't think she'd care to help me find one :p
Man if you want to keep your wallet happy, stay off of Facebook. The CRK and BRK groups are the worst bunch of enablers I've seen - even worse than us forumites!
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

54F45955-591A-4D21-8291-4A0720AC2C61_1_105_c.jpeg
This has been a very well-worn EDC over the years. This is only a 2-1/2" heavy D2 blade and its hip pocket sheath. Even though it is a Bark River I don't think you will ever find another quite like it.
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:24 pm
JuPaul wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 8:14 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Mon Jun 21, 2021 6:21 pm
Good to know all is well Julia!

I've sold off 3 knives this past week, I've got $550 burning a hole in my pocket now! Another CRK or a fixed blade...decisions decisions!
Oh that is a very tough call! I feel like you need to try a Sebenza...at the same time, you could get two nice fixed blades for that price. What fixed blades are you considering?

Oh btw, do you use Facebook? You can find some pretty great deals on lightly used Sebenzas in the CRK b/s/t group there.

Yeah, my husband doesn't do Facebook either, and I took a long break from it. Anyhoo...

If you want a bigger fixed blade (but still reasonable belt knife size), these just got restocked at DLT:

https://www.dlttrading.com/bark-river-bravo-1-3v-lt

I've got this one inbound:

The Gunny models are also a great option - a bit smaller than the Bravos, but also a step up in size from the Guardians.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Anyone here watch the DBK boys?
"Some call me...Tim?"
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Paraguy wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:07 pm
I do! They're so goofy - love em.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I didn't love them the first time I checked out their videos, but I've learned to just ignore the minor stuff I don't like. It's pretty hard to beat their stoke for knives, and the humorous attitude they take to it all.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

I know what I'll be looking up with my morning coffee tomorrow! Thanks for some new material!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I like DBK. Those guys have sold a boatload of Bark Rivers. Makes sense since they strongly believe that convex grinds are superior. For a Bushcraft knife I tend to agree.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
kerrcobra

Post by kerrcobra »

Just got my Bravo 1.25 LT w/Blue Denim Micarta and my Chute Knife w/Turquoise Burlap Micarta in. The Bravo handle is so ridiculously comfortable. I was expecting the Chute Knife handle to be the more comfortable of the two since my hands are kinda small, and while it is still comfortable...it's not nearly so as the Bravo handle is.
--Jeremy
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

The Bravo got her first workout today, taking out the better part of an overgrown tree in the front yard.

I’ve never used a convex knife before, and was initially a bit underwhelmed cutting paper & cardboard.

Holy ****, this thing eats wood like nobody’s business. Not only can it shave and carve, it chops through finger-sized limbs like a **** laser. I get it now. Very happy with this knife.

Added bonus? After all that green wood, the knife cleans up beautifully with a quick scrub. All ready for duty as my sitting knife tonight.

Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Paraguy wrote:
Wed Jun 23, 2021 4:07 pm
Not as much as I used too. Once in a while, say every 3 to 4 weeks. Then I scan the video topics and watch one or two vids.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

BRK Kalahari Mini-Sportsman incoming.

I plan on using it mostly in the kitchen as a boning knife. Looks like a great option as a freshwater fillet knife or boning knife for hunting or kitchen uses.

Here's the pic from the KSF website. I'm pretty psyched.

Kalahari Mini-Sportsman CPM-154 - 5" blade w/ .09" blade stock - Red Linen Micarta - Black Pins - Thick Black Liners
So it goes.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Congrats on the Kalahari! The whole "we take pictures of each and every knife" thing is pretty cool - really gives you a better idea of what you're going to get.

Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 5:35 pm
Congrats on the Kalahari! The whole "we take pictures of each and every knife" thing is pretty cool - really gives you a better idea of what you're going to get.

Thanks! Yeah, it really adds to the suspense that builds between checkout and delivery!! Bahaha!

That suspense of delivery is one of the things keeping the current knife industry alive! I guess it has to be when you make products that last generations...
So it goes.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Airlsee wrote:
Sun Jun 27, 2021 8:46 pm
Thanks! Yeah, it really adds to the suspense that builds between checkout and delivery!! Bahaha!

That suspense of delivery is one of the things keeping the current knife industry alive! I guess it has to be when you make products that last generations...
I listened to an episode of the Hidden Brain podcast recently that touches on that - sometimes folks get as much out of "the hunt" as they do on the actual use & enjoyment of the product.

Airlsee

Post by Airlsee »

kennethsime wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 1:02 am
Airlsee wrote:

I listened to an episode of the Hidden Brain podcast recently that touches on that - sometimes folks get as much out of "the hunt" as they do on the actual use & enjoyment of the product.

I really like Hidden Brain but haven't heard that episode yet. Hopefully this one is just as enjoyable in use, it will probably see a lot more usage time than most of my fixed blades, since it will live on the magnetic kitchen rack.

I've put together a nice 5 knife kitchen set and have been looking at different boning knives for at least a year but nothing really got me excited. I was eventually just going to cave and get a Wustof boning knife (sans-enthusiasm), but this one appears to be just what I was looking for. I've been using a 6" petty until now and feel like a bit more curve in the blade will be greatly appreciated.
So it goes.
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

kennethsime wrote:

The thrill of the hunt is real. MAP pricing has sort of killed that these days.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Paraguy

Post by Paraguy »

Airlsee wrote:
Mon Jun 28, 2021 5:55 am
kennethsime wrote:
Airlsee wrote:

I really like Hidden Brain but haven't heard that episode yet. Hopefully this one is just as enjoyable in use, it will probably see a lot more usage time than most of my fixed blades, since it will live on the magnetic kitchen rack.

I've put together a nice 5 knife kitchen set and have been looking at different boning knives for at least a year but nothing really got me excited. I was eventually just going to cave and get a Wustof boning knife (sans-enthusiasm), but this one appears to be just what I was looking for. I've been using a 6" petty until now and feel like a bit more curve in the blade will be greatly appreciated.
As a young lad I used to call them boners until my mother showed me the error of my ways.
"Some call me...Tim?"
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Just got word that the Gunny Hunter LT which I preordered from KSF is on its way to me!

I ordered this in an attempt to replace my Mora Kansbol, and to hold me over until I can get my hands on an Ultralite Bushcrafter. The higher grind and the thinner 1/8" blade stock save a little weight, and the knife supposedly comes in about 4.8oz. Hoping it's a nice companion knife for day hikes.