Bark River Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Mister Coffee

Re: Bark River Knives

Post by Mister Coffee »

TomAiello wrote:
Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:16 pm
I just got the notification that my pre order BRK PSK EDC in Magnacut has come in. I haven't bought a BRK in quite a while, so I'm pretty excited to see this one. :)

Unfortunately, I'm traveling, so it'll probably get home before I will. Fortunately, I'm drinking a lot of rum on a beach in Belize, with my wife and kids (well, the kids aren't drinking rum).

Rum on the beach in Belize while a new Bark River in Magnacut is waiting for you at home? That tears it. We are no longer friends.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

I also pre-ordered a Magnacut PSK EDC in burgundy micarta. It'll be about three weeks before it reaches me though.
psk edc magnacut preorder.jpg
JSumm

Post by JSumm »

DLT just sent an email with the Magnacut PSK EDCs are available now.
- Jeff
May your feet be warm and dry and your throat warm with whiskey. A knife in hand or in the sock band.
MNOSD Member #0005
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

My PSK EDC pre-order arrived yesterday. It's perfect for front pocket carry.
psk edc magnacut 02.jpg
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

mikey177 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:29 am
My PSK EDC pre-order arrived yesterday. It's perfect for front pocket carry.psk edc magnacut 02.jpg
That is one sweet little knife right there! Definitely let us know how it does over the next few weeks.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

I've been camping the past few weekends, and putting a few of the Barkies to good use.

Bravo 1.25 on feathersticking duty

Bushcraft Scout on kindling prep duty.

Bushcraft Scout on "Coffee + Steel Sitting Knife" duty.

ULB on bagel duty.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
mikey177

Post by mikey177 »

kennethsime wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 10:25 pm
mikey177 wrote:
Thu Jun 30, 2022 1:29 am
My PSK EDC pre-order arrived yesterday. It's perfect for front pocket carry.psk edc magnacut 02.jpg
That is one sweet little knife right there! Definitely let us know how it does over the next few weeks.

Thanks! Will do.

Lovely camping pics, and very nice Barkies you've got there.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Magnacut Bushcraft Scouts are back in stock at DLT, in case anyone needs one. Plenty of great examples.

JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

KSF had some Matterhorns in-stock earlier. Very nice, but sold so quickly I just closed the page and put my money away. There might be a few left. These are in S45vn.

$247 saved is a penny earned. Or something.
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

Quiet here lately... Here it is my new ULB.

I'm sorry, my photographic skills are somewhat limited as I can take these pics only in the evening without daylight.

I was looking for a fixed to do all the tasks that come up with children outside including simple food prep without being intimidating, so barbecuing with the Kindergarden doesn't end up in a panic 😅

In the first place, I was looking for something bigger, but my first choice, the Bravo 1 LT isn't available right now. So I started to look around what's available and browse the forum for input. Some of the posts here made me have a closer look at the ULB. I was a little concerned about the thin blade, but on the other hand, this can turn out as the greatest advantage.
Now, I have it in my hands, it feels like a capable little knife, nimble and versatile.

The only letdown is that Ziricote was the last option remaining. I would have preferred Micarta, but anyway. I like the combination of Ziricote and brass.

Thanks to all of you. A great community with great knowledge and useful advice.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

FWIW, I think DLT ships to Germany with little problem. They are my favorite vendor by far, and should have a decent selection of most mainline models at this point.

The ULB is a sweet little knife. I love it for short hikes or edc - just enough to get the job done. I do encourage you to try something bigger at some point - the Bravo 1 LT is a great option!

Granoo Fink

Post by Granoo Fink »

Yes, DLT is great. I ordered a few times from them. The last time I ordered with FedEx fastest option on Wednesday 8 pm. On Friday 11 am, the knife was on my desk. If I had ordered from a dealer in Germany, it wouldn't have been here before Saturday afternoon, even with express shipping.

Anyway, it's quite expensive these days, bc customs, exchange fees, VAT... add on a unfavorable currency rate.
The price would have been almost the same either way (around 370$).

Maybe there will be a run of the Bravo LT in the next few months, so I have the chance to get one. It's not out of my mind...
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Saw this over in The Bark River Boys.

I’m not sure that I love it, but I’m sure it’ll cost a pretty penny. Hmmm…

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

One more.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Today’s fixed blade Friday carry is long, thin and slicey.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

It’s a rainy Sunday here. I cleaned the house, walked the dog, and wasn’t ready to crack a beer yet, so I took all the Barkies out and did some edge maintenance. Reloaded the DLT CL paddle strop and went to down.

God darn, these are my favorite knives. Strop back to paper carving in no time. I wish I could strop my V-grind knives like this!

The Bushcraft Scout in Magnacut is probably the sharpest. Great steel.
Last edited by kennethsime on Wed Apr 19, 2023 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kobold

Post by kobold »

I sold recently my original D2 Bravo 1, wasn't using it because the blade is too thick, too heavy and I don't like black handle materials. Also I have the LT version in 3V with beautiful golden-green elder burl. So I decided to get a 4" Kephart (DLT custom pre-order) for kitchen use mainly. Pretty exciting, my first knife purchase since March last year. I wonder when will it ship?

ps, that is a crazy nice looking row above.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

The Kepharts look really cool, and really thin. I think that knife will do great in the kitchen.

Preorders can take a long time. The best way to get an estimate is to checkout the Bark River Knives Production Schedule group on Facebook. I think it usually takes about a week to go from “produced” to “at DLT waiting for your approval,” sometimes less.

kobold

Post by kobold »

Yes, I think the Kephart has the thinnest blade of all. I noticed convex blades go through a block of cheese and similar binding materials easier than flat grinds even when they are thicker. I am using the Aurora 2 and the Tundra now and they work pretty well. A Kephart will be a dream.
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
HolySteel

Post by HolySteel »

I only have one Bark River - a Macassar-ebony-handled 'First Production Run', unused but with no box. I think I paid too much, but I love Macassar Ebony and wanted a BR drop point hunter as my first one.

I was not impressed with the finishing details as compared to my L.T. Wright hunter - you can barely feel where the scales meet the spine on that one - but I can always finish it myself, and probably will at some point.