Bark River Knives

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kennethsime

Re: Bark River Knives

Post by kennethsime »

Well, the shipping from KSF wasn’t quite as fast, and my pictures aren’t quite as good as BRK’s, but where it is!

I wanted something smaller than my Bravo 1.25 LT to ride on my belt for day hikes, replacing my Mora Kansbol for most uses. The Gunny Hunter was up for pre-order and seemed and fit the bill at just under 4” and 1/8” thick.

Here it is in-hand, along with some of my other favorite fixed blades, for anyone who’s curious how it stacks up.

Last edited by kennethsime on Thu Jul 29, 2021 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm happiest with Micarta and Tool Steel.

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Nice! It’s good to see Bark River using some thinner stock and that blade profile look good too. Enjoy!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 9:17 am
Nice! It’s good to see Bark River using some thinner stock and that blade profile look good too. Enjoy!
Yea, I'm not sure that I ever really need more than 1/8" blade stock. Stoked on this little guy!

Top four in rotation: K390 + GCM PM2, ZCarta Shaman, Crucarta PM2, K390 + GCM Straight Spine Stretch.
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

I’ve got a Bravo 1 that doesn’t get a whole lot of use due to its thickness. It’s a bruiser! These are KSF’s pics, I don’t have any decent ones.

4ACAE877-E837-4DC3-9A96-3F4805A1745F.jpeg
17FAFD57-BC9B-40E2-9C62-0D10DA52FC9A.jpeg

When I’m playing at bushcrafting aka camping I usually choose the Mora Kansbol. Its thin blade stock is better at camp kitchen duties and is a generally great user. The handle is comfortable. I did a month long one knife challenge with the Kansbol using it for everything including food prep for my fam of 6 and it didn’t let me down. I was quite happy to get back to my santoku after though ;)
kobold

Post by kobold »

Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:44 am
I’ve got a Bravo 1 that doesn’t get a whole lot of use due to its thickness. It’s a bruiser! These are KSF’s pics, I don’t have any decent ones.

When I’m playing at bushcrafting aka camping I usually choose the Mora Kansbol. Its thin blade stock is better at camp kitchen duties and is a generally great user. The handle is comfortable. I did a month long one knife challenge with the Kansbol using it for everything including food prep for my fam of 6 and it didn’t let me down. I was quite happy to get back to my santoku after though ;)
Yea, the Bravo 1 is almost 1/4" thick isn't it? The LTs are 5/32", which is still pretty thick but a bit more manageable. My Gunny Hunter LT is down to an 1/8", and is a great all around companion knife. Not quite as nimble as the Kansbol, but getting close.

Stock thickness is my biggest complaint about BRK, but their excellent convex edge makes up for it when working with wood. Plus if you're careful with what you order and wait for the LT variants, they're not so bad.

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

kobold wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:05 am
Gorgeous. Looks like a Bravo 1.25 with a full-heigh grind? Or maybe an EXT2?

kobold

Post by kobold »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:08 am
kobold wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 6:05 am
Gorgeous. Looks like a Bravo 1.25 with a full-heigh grind? Or maybe an EXT2?

Thanks! It's just the Bravo 1 LT (and the Böker Plus SubCom Ti/VG10 hiding).
Military/PM2/P3 Native Chief/Native GB2 DF2 PITS Chaparral Tasman Salt 2 SE Caribbean Sheepfoot SE SpydieChef Swayback Manix2 Sage 1 SSS Stretch 2 XL G10
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

kobold wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:47 am
Ah, very nice! That's a really sweet size for an all-purpose knife.

I was going to ask about that Boker - thought it might be a knuckle or something. Looks like one sweet little knife!

kobold

Post by kobold »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:07 am
Woodpuppy wrote:
Fri Jul 30, 2021 4:44 am

Yea, the Bravo 1 is almost 1/4" thick isn't it? The LTs are 5/32", which is still pretty thick but a bit more manageable. My Gunny Hunter LT is down to an 1/8", and is a great all around companion knife. Not quite as nimble as the Kansbol, but getting close.

Stock thickness is my biggest complaint about BRK, but their excellent convex edge makes up for it when working with wood. Plus if you're careful with what you order and wait for the LT variants, they're not so bad.

The Kephart and a few EDC size ones are nice and thin.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

kobold wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:37 am
Yea if you check back a few pages I think Darby posted a a few pics of his Kephart for comparison - way thinner than any of my Barkies!

kobold

Post by kobold »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:14 am
kobold wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 8:47 am
Ah, very nice! That's a really sweet size for an all-purpose knife.

I was going to ask about that Boker - thought it might be a knuckle or something. Looks like one sweet little knife!

It was on sale, for IIRC $50-60, it's great. It's on teflon, but nothing too wrong with that.
kobold

Post by kobold »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:40 am
kobold wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:37 am
Yea if you check back a few pages I think Darby posted a a few pics of his Kephart for comparison - way thinner than any of my Barkies!

Thanks, the larger one is the only Barkie I still want. Umm, and maybe the Canadian Camp II. But they must have matching handle materials! :zany
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

kobold wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 10:48 am
Thanks, the larger one is the only Barkie I still want. Umm, and maybe the Canadian Camp II. But they must have matching handle materials! :zany
I don't have a single one that matches perfectly with another yet - all GCM so far, but different liners and pins etc. My preference keep changing! I suppose if I was a particularly wealthy (or particularly OCD) man I could have them all re-handled to match, but I'd just as soon buy another knife.

I keep saying "just one or two more," but it's pretty hard to resist the Barkie drops. I've got an ULB on pre-order, and a NC EDC on pre-order, and have narrowly resisted to urge to buy both the Mini Aurora and Mountaineer 2 when those were released recently.
However, even giants have their weaknesses, and yesterday I ordered a Forest Scandi that I've had my eye on for months. Will report back on it Wednesday or so.

kobold

Post by kobold »

Hard to resist indeed.

Here are my mid-sized knives in matching uniforms. All folders are Maxamet and the BKs are 3V/Elmax. I feel like there is not much I can't do with any pair of these. Both extreme edge holding and extreme toughness.

Most of my other Barkies have similar handles, I hope I can match them with some folders. It's a long term project..

kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

kobold wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:56 am
Hard to resist indeed.

Here are my mid-sized knives in matching uniforms. All folders are Maxamet and the BKs are 3V/Elmax. I feel like there is not much I can't do with any pair of these. Both extreme edge holding and extreme toughness.

Most of my other Barkies have similar handles, I hope I can match them with some folders. It's a long term project..
Holy smokes Kobold, those are gorgeous! I applaud your OCD. Is that a spalted maple burl or something?

I've been carrying these two on a regular basis lately, just seems like I can't really beat the combo and they do look quite nice together.

kobold

Post by kobold »

kennethsime wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 1:15 pm
kobold wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 11:56 am
Hard to resist indeed.

Holy smokes Kobold, those are gorgeous! I applaud your OCD. Is that a spalted maple burl or something?

I've been carrying these two on a regular basis lately, just seems like I can't really beat the combo and they do look quite nice together.

OCD master :smiling-halo

Some are green elder burl and some are green and gold elder burl. The folders are cheesewood.

Without wooden scales, it would be green micarta for me.

That's a sweet combo you got there. I tried to figure out what is your Barkie. And failed. I can only tell it's a regrind?
JRinFL

Post by JRinFL »

I believe it is a L.T. Wright model, maybe a Frontier First?
"...it costs nothing to be polite." - Winston Churchill
“Maybe the cheese in the mousetrap is an artificially created cheaper price?” -Sal
Friends call me Jim. As do my foes.
M.N.O.S.D. 0001
kobold

Post by kobold »

JRinFL wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:21 pm

Thank you! Never had the pleasure. They sure look like they share the market with BRKT a lot.
kennethsime

Post by kennethsime »

kobold wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 4:11 pm
JRinFL wrote:
Sun Aug 22, 2021 3:21 pm
Thank you! Never had the pleasure. They sure look like they share the market with BRKT a lot.
JR is correct, it's an L.T. Wright, but the model on this one is the Small Workhorse. Very, very similar to the Frontier Valley - I frankly can't tell the difference other than the FV uses thin brass pins and the Workhorse uses whatever the Genesis uses for pins. The Frontier First and Daily Carry are also very similar, just slightly different blade shapes.

I made a thread specifically for LTWK, and there are some other great examples over there.

Compared to BRK, I'd say they're usually a bit more affordable, a bit less finished, and usually use old-school steel - this one is A2, and they do a lot of work in O1 as well. Sometimes you can get them in 3V, but that puts them a lot closer to BRK in price. They're made very well, but Barkies have a much nicer fit & finish. Either way, it's hard to beat an all-American fixed blade made by skilled labor.