How did you use your EDC?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
PeaceInOurTime

How did you use your EDC?

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I love seeing everyone's EDC gear get used. Use this thread to show/tell how you used ANY part of your EDC.

Knives
Multitools
Flashlights/Torches
Tech
Writing Instruments
Clothing
Food
Etc

Whatever you did, post it here! :)
Last edited by PeaceInOurTime on Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PeaceInOurTime

Re: How did you use your EDC?

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I'll start. Decided to re-string one of my guitars today . The Leatherman Surge assisted :D
The guitar is a Martin Backpacker.

PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Yesterday, I opened a bag of potatoes and cut a donut in half with my Byrd Rescue 2. Also used my Streamlight Microstream numerous times for random illumination tasks throughout the day.

This morning, my Byrd Rescue 2 broke down some cardboard boxes and my my Leatherman Surge helped replace a broken zipper on my favorite shorts.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This is most interesting. Because the concept of EDC ( every day carry) has really taken off in the past 8 to 10 years or so. It's been a slow, steady and continual rise in the popularity of being equipped for your daily endeavors. It's most certainly not restricted only to pocket knife carry at all. Far from it>> it also includes flashlights, compass, ferro rods, along with multi-tools and the list could go on for a long time depending on a person's occupation or past time.

Each person's EDC needs are completely individual for the most part and really very few are going to carry the same set of tools. Because most people's EDC tools probably revolve around their occupation and/or favorite activity. For instance you wouldn't see the same EDC tools with a musician as you would with lumberjack or professional fisherman.

But the importance of being prepared for what ever a person might encounter in the course of a day is now being taken more seriously>> where in years past a person who carried a lot of tools or other items would have been considered wacky at one time. But no longer is that the case.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I completely agree, JD Spydo :)

I enjoy the threads about what you carry, but I also really enjoy seeing how other people use the gear they carry, even if it seems mundane.

For example, my humble Streamlight Microstream is probably my most used peice of gear, getting pulled from my pocket or multitool sheath countless times a day.

Yesterday, my wife and I were being shown a few homes for sale. I used that little flashlight probably 50% of the time spent at those properties. Super handy little light :)
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

Couldn't take any pictures cause I was busy working but many zip ties, twist ties, pallet straps, and plastic wraps were slain today.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Opened some boxes with P100 masks shipped to me with my Native 5 in Maxamet. Man I love that steel! That knife is like a RAZOR!

NOTE: That is only one of 3 knives that has ever bitten me.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:53 pm
Couldn't take any pictures cause I was busy working but many zip ties, twist ties, pallet straps, and plastic wraps were slain today.

Nice! What knife did you use?

Naperville wrote: Opened some boxes with P100 masks shipped to me with my Native 5 in Maxamet. Man I love that steel! That knife is like a RAZOR!

Love the Native! Maxamet seems like an appropriate steel to pair it to.
ZrowsN1s

Post by ZrowsN1s »

PeaceInOurTime wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 8:03 pm
ZrowsN1s wrote:
Tue Feb 11, 2020 5:53 pm

Nice! What knife did you use?

Naperville wrote: Opened some boxes with P100 masks shipped to me with my Native 5 in Maxamet. Man I love that steel! That knife is like a RAZOR!

Love the Native! Maxamet seems like an appropriate steel to pair it to.
I've been using the McNees Microhawk for all the sharp edge tasks and the Hawkbill Ladybug for the more edge damaging things like metal twist ties.
-Matt a.k.a. Lo_Que, loadedquestions135 I ❤ The P'KAL :bug-red

"The world of edges has a small doorway in, but opens into a cavern that is both wide and deep." -sal
"Ghost hunters scope the edge." -sal
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

ZrowsN1s wrote:
Sat Feb 15, 2020 1:24 pm
I've been using the McNees Microhawk for all the sharp edge tasks and the Hawkbill Ladybug for the more edge damaging things like metal twist ties.
Nice! I had to search for the McNees MIcrohawk; that's a nice looking knife!
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Yesterday at work, used my Leatherman Surge pliers to remove staples from packets of paper and used my Byrd Hawkbill to cut nylon straps to open a box of paper reams -- then opened several reams with the hawkbill. :)

My Streamlight Microstream was used several times at work and home for various illumination tasks.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

The Surge had popcorn duty today

PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

ThomC

Post by ThomC »

Every day the knife I carry is used for zip ties, boxes, tape, breaking down cardboard, cutting fruit, slicing parts of my hand or fingers open because it's sharp.
I carry the CRKT Viva because it's a funny tool to use though it mostly opens beers and unstucks screws. Lacking a proper multi tool for now but I've been eyeing the Swisstool for a while
There's some extra stuff in my backpack, like my rain poncho and cap (useful when you live in one of the rainiest town in the country and walk to work), water bottle, snacks, maybe lunch; and a couple of pouches on it have a pen, notebook, lighter, phone charger, soap, tissues...
Needs a bike utility pack and some basic FAK but I'll get there, same for the light :)
Stuff I use every day, depending on the season. I'm pretty happy with it !
European amateur knife enthusiast
Hikes and outdoors galore
🏍️Motorcycle enthusiast
In the knoife box : M4 Millie, Spyderco Perrin Street Bowie, TOPS Tanimboca
In the future : CE/SE/Rex45/MagnaCut Millie, K2, Slysz Bowie, linerlock Sage
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I had to jump start a van that some loser stole the battery out of and they just cut all the battery terminals so I had to cut away some of the wire sheathing. I tried to be gentle but I still managed to cut through a bunch of the cable itself. After some strategically placed zip ties I was able to run it off a jump box. I need to get some battery cable for some cutting tests.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

Don't think you'd want to see photos of mine "in use". Flashlight gets used at least once a day to illuminate dog poop at night and gallon plastic bags get used to pick the stuff up, day or night. Aside from that, one key gets used to lock and unlock my house, another to start my SLK, and my wallet gets used to pay for stuff. Nothing very exciting there. I always carry a couple knives when I leave the hous but can't honestly remember the last time I used one of them. Inside the house there's always one or three within easy reach, so no need to weigh down my sweats carrying one.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The other day, an old boy selling his house had cleared it, but when he came back to let me in to survey it had found a stack of empty boxes.

This shows the difference in generations: 1. He insisted he was going to clear them away, rather than leave the junk for the buyer to deal with when they arrived (like many people now do). 2. He asked me if I had a penknife he could use to break them down, because he hadn’t bought any tools back with him (a penknife as a normal thing? rather than a smartphone? what sort of person is this ?!)

I reached for my SAK, then reconsidered and passed him my K390 Urban. He sat there happily cutting up boxes all the while I did my work. To say he was wowed by how it performed is an understatement!
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

My Surge has been busy the last few days while working on a house.

Screw driving, prying, scraping, cutting, wire cutting...

PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

Finished pulling carpet and tack strips yesterday.

Really wish the Surge has spring loaded pliers; that's my only real criticism. Otherwise, the Surge rocks!

The Surge did not pull up the tack strips as those needed a hammer and wonder bar, but it did pull up all the staples ( approx 100?)

Huge ball of used masking tape :)

Also used to cut weed eater line, but didn't take a pic of that :)
cabfrank

Post by cabfrank »

I cut a tomato with my Pacific Salt a couple days ago, and it made me realize I need to sharpen my ARK. I cut chicken, zucchini and corn off the cob with my ARK yesterday. I did it just for fun, and it actually was. It made me realize I need to sharpen my kitchen knives.