Food Grade Mineral Oil

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Sharp Guy

Food Grade Mineral Oil

Post by Sharp Guy »

I'm trying to source food grade mineral oil locally to use to darken a set of scales I'm installing. Kroger doesn't seem to carry it. Looks like CVS carries mineral oil but they're selling it as a laxative. Is that the same thing? Otherwise where are you guys buying it?
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
Larry_Mott

Re: Food Grade Mineral Oil

Post by Larry_Mott »

IKEA has their mineral oil "SKYDD" (at least here in Sweden)
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
mrtodd777

Post by mrtodd777 »

It’s the same thing. I bought a bottle for a couple of bucks and it will last a lifetime.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

The CVS laxative oil is food grade. It's intended for human consumption (as a laxative) which is pretty much the definition of food grade.
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I found it on Kroger's site. Wasn't coming up on my phone but did on my PC. Isle 38 at my local store. Couldn't find it the other day lol. Need to stop there again and pick up a few other things today.

Good to know it's a laxative. Won't have to worry about my knives being constipated. :)

Thanks!
SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Yes, as others have now said. Food grade mineral oil's most common form, is as a laxative. :)

Be sure to check the label though first. I have to imagine, that somewhere, some company is making and selling it, while also adding something else to it. Which is not normal. The liquid, should be crystal clear.

It's all I use, and works fantastically! After the initial application, and later when the scales do eventually get dirty from use. Just dab on a little more oil, and then scrub/rub it off with a clean cotton rag. The dirt comes right off. Because the dirt gets on top of, the first application of the oil.
Last edited by SteveMidwest on Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Sharp Guy wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 10:54 am
I found it on Kroger's site. Wasn't coming up on my phone but did on my PC. Isle 38 at my local store. Couldn't find it the other day lol. Need to stop there again and pick up a few other things today.

Good to know it's a laxative. Won't have to worry about my knives being constipated. :)

Thanks!
Hope everything comes out right! 🤭
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Yup, it’s food grade. My bottle says, “intestinal lubricant”. :eek:
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

For what it's worth you can also use Vaseline for what you're doing and just wipe off as much as you can. It'll give you the same effect.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
kodai78
Location: “Beam me up Scotty, there’s no intelligent life down here.”

Post by kodai78 »

Is Vaseline “food grade”? I guess, but OP didn’t say, he uses the knives for food prep? Otherwise any mineral oil would be okay?
:spyder: Shaman REX 45, Smock, Baby Jess Horn CE, Spydiechef, Schempp Bowie,Ti Fluted Military, Titanium Military, Native S30 V and G10, PM 2 in S35VN, and S110V, Manix 2 LW BD1 and SPY 27, Sage 5, Positron black CPM S30V, Chaparral w/Raffir Noble scales, SuperLeaf VG 10, Ladybug H1, Dragonfly 2 in ZDP 189 and Superblue/420J1 and H1, Delica in ZDP 189, Clipitool Standard, the Cook’s knife VG10, Santoku, paring and utility knives, all in MBS 26. :spyder:
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

No I wanted it to be food grade too. I don't typically use my EDC knives for food prep but it's nice to have that option at work.

Been reading about you guys using mineral oil for a long time. I've been using gun oil for the most part. Decided to give mineral oil a try

Found it at Kroger btw. I walked right passed it a couple days ago
JuPaul

Post by JuPaul »

Just in case anyone else wonders, too, food grade mineral oil is often also sold as "cutting board oil". Baby oil is also just mineral oil, but often contains perfumes that you probably don't want, so double check that.
- Julia

"Be excellent to each other." - Bill S. Preston, Esq.
5pins

Post by 5pins »

It can also be used to induce labor in pregnancy. My wife took some when she was about three weeks away from delivery for constipation. Afterward she read the label that said not to take if pregnant. The doctor said she didn't take enough and would be fine.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

kodai78 wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:36 am
Is Vaseline “food grade”? I guess, but OP didn’t say, he uses the knives for food prep? Otherwise any mineral oil would be okay?
The inventor of Vaseline, Robert Chesebrough actually claimed that he ate a spoonful every morning for the laxative effect. :eek: He lived to the age of 96, so I suppose at the very least, it didn’t do him any harm.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_Chesebrough
blues

Post by blues »

- Retired from the chase -
Enactive

Post by Enactive »

Cambertree wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:46 pm
kodai78 wrote:
The inventor of Vaseline, Robert Chesebrough actually claimed that he ate a spoonful every morning for the laxative effect. :eek: He lived to the age of 96, so I suppose at the very least, it didn’t do him any harm.

I think I 'll pass on that. :eek:

https://youtu.be/cvfxKbpoxRE
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Enactive wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 4:16 pm
Cambertree wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 3:46 pm
kodai78 wrote:

I think I 'll pass on that. :eek:

https://youtu.be/cvfxKbpoxRE
LOL :D :D :D
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Evil D wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:16 am
For what it's worth you can also use Vaseline
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JacksonKnives

Post by JacksonKnives »

FWIW, I'd be more worried about keeping a blade dry (no built-up gunk) than "food-grade" if you're in a restaurant. A few stray particles from solvents in a gun CLP won't hurt anyone, but if your pivot collects pocket lint or dirt you risk trapping bacteria.

NSF ratings for commercial food prep knives indicate surfaces/materials you can run through a dishwasher/sanitizer, which they're pretty strict about. Now that I think of it, I'm not sure how sashimi chefs are passing health code with traditional handles...
—Daniel Jackson
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

JacksonKnives wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 6:27 pm
FWIW, I'd be more worried about keeping a blade dry (no built-up gunk) than "food-grade" if you're in a restaurant. A few stray particles from solvents in a gun CLP won't hurt anyone, but if your pivot collects pocket lint or dirt you risk trapping bacteria.

NSF ratings for commercial food prep knives indicate surfaces/materials you can run through a dishwasher/sanitizer, which they're pretty strict about. Now that I think of it, I'm not sure how sashimi chefs are passing health code with traditional handles...
Like I said, I've been using CLP for a long time. I'm sure I could've used it to darken up the scales. It's not like I'll lick the handle and I'm sure I've eaten worse anyway. The manufacturer recommended mineral oil so that's what I went with. I've wanted to have some on hand for awhile anyway. This just prompted me to actually go out an buy some.