Boots.

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Ankerson

Boots.

Post by Ankerson »

Having owned a lot of boots in my life I was on the hunt for some new ones.

Was looking for comfort, light weight while still being sturdy.

Something lighter than my Timberlands that I never wear because they are too heavy. :rolleyes:

So after the long search and research I went with the Danner Full Bore.

They are very comfortable and very light weight, can't ask for more than that. :cool:
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Re: Boots.

Post by Mad Mac »

After clomping around for years in Schmidt boots from Tractor Supply I bought these comfortable, lightweight Ariat ATS Mens Terrain Boots. Love them for walking and hiking, but I still wear the Schmidts for work on the property, specially in the cold and wet.

1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Mad Mac wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:31 am
After clomping around for years in Schmidt boots from Tractor Supply I bought these comfortable, lightweight Ariat ATS Mens Terrain Boots. Love them for walking and hiking, but I still wear the Schmidts for work on the property, specially in the cold and wet.

Clomping around is right. :D

Those look nice and comfortable. :cool:

Here are the Danner Full Bore. They feel lighter than the slippers I wear. :eek:

Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Right now I'm wearing Red Wing King Toes for work, and although I despise the "sneaker boot" style and prefer a Goodyear welt construction, I have to say these are the most comfortable steel toes I've ever wore. I can wear them 7 days a week. I think they make a soft toe version which will basically be like ultra durable high top sneakers. My only complaint is the tread wears pretty fast on concrete/pavement and they could use a more aggressive tread style for traction. They're also pretty expensive for a boot that can't be resoled but for me the comfort is worth the cost.

Otherwise I really like Thorogood boots, I've only had one pair but the leather they use is top notch. The steel cap in those isn't as good as the Red Wings but I would buy the same boot in soft toe in a heartbeat.

I've always wanted to try some custom boots from Nick's/Whites or some others but these days I need steel toe and it's so hit and miss whether the toe cap will work with my Flintstone feet that I can't risk spending $400+ on boots I may not be able to wear. Someday I'll get some soft toes from one of those companies.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:59 am
Right now I'm wearing Red Wing King Toes for work, and although I despise the "sneaker boot" style and prefer a Goodyear welt construction, I have to say these are the most comfortable steel toes I've ever wore. I can wear them 7 days a week. I think they make a soft toe version which will basically be like ultra durable high top sneakers. My only complaint is the tread wears pretty fast on concrete/pavement and they could use a more aggressive tread style for traction. They're also pretty expensive for a boot that can't be resoled but for me the comfort is worth the cost.

Otherwise I really like Thorogood boots, I've only had one pair but the leather they use is top notch. The steel cap in those isn't as good as the Red Wings but I would buy the same boot in soft toe in a heartbeat.

I've always wanted to try some custom boots from Nick's/Whites or some others but these days I need steel toe and it's so hit and miss whether the toe cap will work with my Flintstone feet that I can't risk spending $400+ on boots I may not be able to wear. Someday I'll get some soft toes from one of those companies.

For me I don't need them for work anymore so I am looking for comfort and light weight with quality. :)

I have other boots that I can clomp around in if I had to. ;)
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:05 am

For me I don't need them for work anymore so I am looking for comfort and light weight with quality. :)

If you're ok with the sneaker boot style I would check those out then. I can only imagine if the steel toe is as comfortable as they are, the soft toe must be even better. They flex like no other boot I've wore, they take very little to break in. At first glance the leather looks cheap because of the finish but once they break in it's obvious they're pretty good quality. They're also waterproof which is super nice. I would assume the soft toe are even lighter too and the steel toe are light for a safety toe (actually I'm pretty sure they're composite toe I'll have to check).
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Evil D wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:11 am
Ankerson wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 10:05 am

If you're ok with the sneaker boot style I would check those out then. I can only imagine if the steel toe is as comfortable as they are, the soft toe must be even better. They flex like no other boot I've wore, they take very little to break in. At first glance the leather looks cheap because of the finish but once they break in it's obvious they're pretty good quality. They're also waterproof which is super nice. I would assume the soft toe are even lighter too and the steel toe are light for a safety toe (actually I'm pretty sure they're composite toe I'll have to check).

I got the Danner Full Bores and they are great. :D

I wanted something light weight because with my injury wearing heavier shoes isn't all that great... It really aggravates it...

Reason I don't wear any heavy shoes anymore.
Mad Mac
Location: Northern Far West Deep East Texas in the Dirty South

Post by Mad Mac »

Back in my motorcycle days I wore black Bates Enforcer boots, black jeans and a black T-shirts.
An SE Endura rode clipped in my pocket.

If I had only known about the Spyderco Renegade my biker ensemble would have been complete.
Last edited by Mad Mac on Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:06 am, edited 2 times in total.
1990: Endura SE, Delica PE, Mariner, Police. 2014: ClipiTool Bottle Opener. 2015: Kitchen Knife PE, Tenacious CE, Stretch PE, Moran Drop Point, Kiwi, 2 Byrd Cara Caras, Schempp Bowie, Native 5 Forum Knife, Police SE, Tenacious SE, 4" Paring Knife, 2" Paring Knife, Terzuola Starmate. 2016: The Spyderco Story, Terzuola The Tactical Folding Knife, USN Ladybug H-1 Hawkbill SE, Black BaliYo, Yellow H-1 Salt Dragonfly 2 SE, Hennicke Ulize, Pink Native 5 PE, Renegade C23PS and C23P, Gayle Bradley 2, Terzuola Double Bevel, Gayle Bradley Air, Cricket Blue Nishjin, Centofante Memory, K2, 2 Large Lum Pink, Carey Rubicon. 2017: Dialex Battlestation, Orange Southard Positron, Gray Baliyo, Native 5 CE, Tenacious CE. 2018: Schempp EuroEdge, Eric Glesser ClipiTool Standard. 2019 Calendar Contest Reinhold Rhino CF PLN. 2022: Byrd Robin 2 Wharncliffe, Byrd Cara Cara 2 Rescue Orange, Janich Yojimbo 2 CruWear.
Motorcycle adventures in a past life.
SpyderNut

Post by SpyderNut »

I really like my Red Wing King Toe (soft-toe) for work at the office and shop. They are comfortable and flexible, yet sturdy and durable. For casual occasions, I prefer the Ugg Biltmore Chelsea boot. It’s exceptionally comfortable, lightweight, and waterproof.
:spyder: -Michael

"...as I said before, 'the edge is a wondrous thing', [but] in all of it's qualities, it is still a ghost." - sal
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

As I shared with you earlier for many years I was pretty much loyal to the USA made REDWING boots. I even bought the REDWING special oil and other maintenance products and I could usually get 7 to 8 years from a set of REDWING USA made boots by taking good care of them.

But a guy who does a survival type podcast show on >> republicbroadcasting.org << did a show recently on survival type footware and he gave those "DANNER" boots a very high grade. Danner will be my next set of outdoor, work, hunting boots I plan to buy. They still make great foot ware here in the USA but it ain't cheap either. My regular daily shoes I wear most of the time are USA made New Balance. And believe me there is a huge difference between the USA made and imported New Balance shoes.

But DANNER is a big up and coming brand of boots. At this time I don't know of a better brand to recommend. Interesting thread for sure :)
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 3:17 pm
As I shared with you earlier for many years I was pretty much loyal to the USA made REDWING boots. I even bought the REDWING special oil and other maintenance products and I could usually get 7 to 8 years from a set of REDWING USA made boots by taking good care of them.

But a guy who does a survival type podcast show on >> republicbroadcasting.org << did a show recently on survival type footware and he gave those "DANNER" boots a very high grade. Danner will be my next set of outdoor, work, hunting boots I plan to buy. They still make great foot ware here in the USA but it ain't cheap either. My regular daily shoes I wear most of the time are USA made New Balance. And believe me there is a huge difference between the USA made and imported New Balance shoes.

But DANNER is a big up and coming brand of boots. At this time I don't know of a better brand to recommend. Interesting thread for sure :)

They have both USA made and imported and that's fine because they are different styles and cost.

I found that all the ones I would buy due to them being light weight were the imported ones.

And that's OK with me because at 42oz per pair (21oz per boot) I can deal with it. :D
Cycletroll

Post by Cycletroll »

Been really happy with Solomon boots. Light, tough, and durable.

https://www.amazon.com/Salomon-Authenti ... 275&sr=8-8
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

I have a pair of Danner Elk Hunters which I like a lot but would have much preferred ‘E’ or ‘EE’ width option. You Americans must have fun thin, long feet. Ah, hahaha!

I’ve had a few pairs of Keen Boots over the years and find them to be super light and comfortable.

This is the pair I currently have. :)

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:14 pm
I have a pair of Danner Elk Hunters which I like a lot but would have much preferred ‘E’ or ‘EE’ width option. You Americans must have fun thin, long feet. Ah, hahaha!

I’ve had a few pairs of Keen Boots over the years and find them to be super light and comfortable.

This is the pair I currently have. :)

Danner has E and EE widths.
Tims

Post by Tims »

Been kicking these Olivers around for years. They’ve been the most solid boot I’ve owned. I like the one piece tongue that stops water ingress.

Not exactly lightweight though. I’ve had my eye on a pair of Timberland Earthkeepers but can’t find them locally and won’t roll the dice on buying online due to sizing.

Reminds me they’re overdue for some Dubbin.

Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Jan 26, 2020 7:30 pm
Danner has E and EE widths.
No doubt Jim, but not in the Elk Hunter’s at the time from Cabela’s. I settled on a ‘D’ and they fit OK but I don’t wear shoes or boots unless I absolutely have to and would be happier with an ‘EE’. :)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Tims wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:39 am
Been kicking these Olivers around for years.
Hey Tim, Oliver make a pretty good work boot. They were stock issue with the last builder I worked for, 20 years ago this year as a matter of fact.

I had a look but couldn’t find them. They probably don’t make them any more but they used to make a chocolate brown, suede, lace up boots with three ‘D’ rings like a boiler maker’s boot that we’re light, comfortable and quite stylish. They had these crazy soles that suction cupped at the heels on wet concrete floors and the like. :cool:
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Converse 8" Desert boot works for me. I have the older discontinued C8895, and they now have a C8896, which I have no experience with. I've had mine since 2007 and they're still wearing fine.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Danner makes a great boot.. I've had a pair of Mountain 600s for the last year or so that I absolutely love.. really comfortable, but a little too warm for me in the summer months.. just got a pair of Desert Rims, which are very similar to the Mountain 600s, but will breath easier when it gets hotter out..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

DSH007 wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:35 am
Danner makes a great boot.. I've had a pair of Mountain 600s for the last year or so that I absolutely love.. really comfortable, but a little too warm for me in the summer months.. just got a pair of Desert Rims, which are very similar to the Mountain 600s, but will breath easier when it gets hotter out..

All leather boots do get hot in the summer months, something I never liked about them, even when I had to wear them for work when I was young.

When I was in the USMC I was issued jungle boots and they are all that I wore for the most part except in the winter.