Corona Virus, Chinese Origin, Now In the USA

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Corona Virus, Chinese Origin, Now In the USA

Post by James Y »

Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Captain Trip.. ;)
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Just saw this ...

“Based on an earlier report of the fatalities, when just 17 were dead, most of the victims appeared to be older people, many with pre-existing medical conditions.”
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Wear a mask in public, wash your hands often, use hand sanitizer, don’t rub your eyes or pick your nose with hands that are not cleansed, don’t go to public places for another month unless you need to do so and wear a mask if you do.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

There is nothing to fear but fear itself.

I am just gonna keep on living life. I’ll cross this bridge when I come to it.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:33 am
Wear a mask in public, wash your hands often, use hand sanitizer, don’t rub your eyes or pick your nose with hands that are not cleansed, don’t go to public places for another month unless you need to do so and wear a mask if you do.

With the 4 day period before they feel sick who knows how many people really have it now and or how many they infected?

Not something one wants to catch for sure...
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

SARS was also a corona virus. This new version is more contagious but less deadly. The average age of the people who have died from it is 75. As long as you don’t already have one foot in the grave you should be able to handle it. There has not been a confirmed case of SARS since 2003. This new one will also pass with time.

There are many things in the world worth being afraid of. I am personally far more afraid of people who are fearful than I am of any disease. Shoot, I am more afraid of fearful people than I am of dying. Fearful people are irrational and unpredictable, that is scary.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:47 am
SARS was also a corona virus. This new version is more contagious but less deadly. The average age of the people who have died from it is 75. As long as you don’t already have one foot in the grave you should be able to handle it. There has not been a confirmed case of SARS since 2003. This new one will also pass with time.

There are many things in the world worth being afraid of. I am personally far more afraid of people who are fearful than I am of any disease. Shoot, I am more afraid of fearful people than I am of dying. Fearful people are irrational and unpredictable, that is scary.

Nothing wrong with awareness. ;)

We don't know how many people will end up dying yet as this thing is still ramping up and nobody who has it is over it yet.

China is taking some pretty extreme measures currently trying to contain it.

So we will have to wait and see how it goes.
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:02 am
Just saw this ...

“Based on an earlier report of the fatalities, when just 17 were dead, most of the victims appeared to be older people, many with pre-existing medical conditions.”

Exactly, Chris. They've been saying that for days now. For most folks it's just another type of flu. For folks with pre-existing medical conditions, especially those that compromise the immune or respiratory systems, and more especially the elderly and very young with those issues, it can be fatal, but so can a lot of other viruses.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JonLeBlanc

Post by JonLeBlanc »

The Deacon wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:56 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:02 am
Just saw this ...

Exactly, Chris. They've been saying that for days now. For most folks it's just another type of flu. For folks with pre-existing medical conditions, especially those that compromise the immune or respiratory systems, and more especially the elderly and very young with those issues, it can be fatal, but so can a lot of other viruses.
Thaaaank youuuuu lol
My collection so far: 52100 Military (2); 52100 PM2 (2); 52100 Para3; Stretch2 V-Toku; KnifeWorks M4 PM2; BentoBox M390 PM2; BentoBox S90V Military; Police4 K390; S110V PM2; SS Delica AUS-6; Wayne Goddard Sprint VG-10
Wish list: Hundred Pacer; Sliverax; Mantra; 52100 PM2 SE; Kapara
James Y

Post by James Y »

bearfacedkiller wrote:

These are my feelings as well.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:06 am
bearfacedkiller wrote:

Jim

This not something to blow off as nothing. ;)

It is something to think about and take some precautions because we just don't know anything solid yet.

Remember by the time the media tells people to worry it's already well past that time they should have said something.

I wouldn't panic or anything, but awareness is a good thing.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

I must be a sociopath or something similar because I look at these things as fate. We all are gonna die. It's just a matter of when and how. The flu that is already here has killed how many? How many do we lose each year to it?

Like Jim I was trained in the military on Nuclear, chemical and biological stuff. Jim and I were " Doomsday " grunts when nuclear and bio and chem attacks were expected and planned for. No offense to our European members especially from Germany but that country was written off as lost for generations due to the nasties that were to be used there in WW3.

As a note my son was in Japan and the Philippines during the times they were finding new cases there as well as in the Seattle airport the same time as one of our American cases . He came back and went in to an immediate chest cold which he still has. Naturally he self reported here when he went to the doctor and they feel he has a "regular" virus ....whatever that is. :D .

I'm still not worrying. Now if I found out there were some of several bio weapons that were developed running around I would be concerned. Not for me but like others have said because of how crazy it has the potential of getting. I have lived with my own death as a reality for a very long time and truthfully I don't fear it. I've lived my best life. :)

Joe

PS. Germany was a " collection of 13 kiloton cities 250 kilotons apart" :o
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

What's that saying about serenity and the wisdom to know the difference?
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:12 am
James Y wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:

Jim

It is something to think about and take some precautions because we just don't know anything solid yet.

Remember by the time the media tells people to worry it's already well past that time they should have said something.

Oh, I agree that awareness is important, and I'm not blowing it off. But remember SARS and the scare surrounding that? And the Chinese government covered that up longer than this one. It was deadlier than this one, but not spread as easily(?). Remember the Hong Kong flu back in the late '60s or early '70s? Or ebola a few years ago?

There's always something that's THE BIG SCARE. Next year or next five years there will be something else. Most people will end up dying at home, in a hospital, or hospice from one of the many, very common ailments that most people die naturally from, not ebola, coronavirus, or whatever comes next. I'm aware, but I won't live in constant fear. Constant fear creates stress, which also creates disease.

Anybody could potentially be at risk, but I'm pretty low-risk. I don't go to arenas, or out to the movies, or to amusement parks; and I haven't flown on an airplane in 17 years. I don't work in a hospital. I'm not in K-12 or university, and don't have any kids who are. I don't avoid those places out of fear, I simply haven't had any reason to go for some time.

I don't want to die, but I'm not afraid of death. When it's my time, it's my time. I just lost my mom last month, for whom I was her primary caregiver for the past several years, from complications due to a stroke. Although at her age it wasn't unexpected, what started out as just another ordinary day ended up being the beginning of her passing. I'm just glad I was there when it happened, so she wasn't alone when it did. Things can change that fast, and I take nothing for granted.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:19 pm
I must be a sociopath or something similar because I look at these things as fate. We all are gonna die. It's just a matter of when and how. The flu that is already here has killed how many? How many do we lose each year to it?

Like Jim I was trained in the military on Nuclear, chemical and biological stuff. Jim and I were " Doomsday " grunts when nuclear and bio and chem attacks were expected and planned for. No offense to our European members especially from Germany but that country was written off as lost for generations due to the nasties that were to be used there in WW3.

As a note my son was in Japan and the Philippines during the times they were finding new cases there as well as in the Seattle airport the same time as one of our American cases . He came back and went in to an immediate chest cold which he still has. Naturally he self reported here when he went to the doctor and they feel he has a "regular" virus ....whatever that is. :D .

I'm still not worrying. Now if I found out there were some of several bio weapons that were developed running around I would be concerned. Not for me but like others have said because of how crazy it has the potential of getting. I have lived with my own death as a reality for a very long time and truthfully I don't fear it. I've lived my best life. :)

Joe

Joe,

It's still always in the back of my mind when something happens because you just never really know...

And we do know how bad it can get, and in a real hurry.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:06 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:12 am
James Y wrote:
bearfacedkiller wrote:

Jim

Oh, I agree that awareness is important, and I'm not blowing it off. But remember SARS and the scare surrounding that? And the Chinese government covered that up longer than this one. It was deadlier than this one, but not spread as easily(?). Remember the Hong Kong flu back in the late '60s or early '70s? Or ebola a few years ago?

There's always something that's THE BIG SCARE. Next year or next five years there will be something else. Most people will end up dying at home, in a hospital, or hospice from one of the many, very common ailments that most people die naturally from, not ebola, coronavirus, or whatever comes next. I'm aware, but I won't live in constant fear. Constant fear creates stress, which also creates disease.

Anybody could potentially be at risk, but I'm pretty low-risk. I don't go to arenas, or out to the movies, or to amusement parks; and I haven't flown on an airplane in 17 years. I don't work in a hospital. I'm not in K-12 or university, and don't have any kids who are. I don't avoid those places out of fear, I simply haven't had any reason to go for some time.

I don't want to die, but I'm not afraid of death. When it's my time, it's my time. I just lost my mom last month, for whom I was her primary caregiver for the past several years, from complications due to a stroke. Although at her age it wasn't unexpected, what started out as just another ordinary day ended up being the beginning of her passing. I'm just glad I was there when it happened, so she wasn't alone when it did. Things can change that fast, and I take nothing for granted.

Jim

Jim,

This thing is highly contagious...

It's already World Wide and it's just been 23 days.. ;)

I am not worried about dying, I just don't want to get sick, not with that or anything like it anyway.

Jim
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

What's that saying about serenity and the wisdom to know the difference?
Big +1

and " Fear helps a man not at all "

What is going to happen will happen and worrying about it changes nothing.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Update.

The R-O is 2-3.

The flu is 1 by comparison.

The spread is accelerating.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Jan 25, 2020 12:19 pm

I grew up in the 70’s and 80’s with all that nuclear threat (and protests). Didn’t bother me at all, but then we had bombs going off in the streets which felt much more real.

The film On The Beach, a story by Nevill Shute, about the aftermath of a nuclear conflict, made a big impact on me at that time, where the last Antipodeans await their demise from all the fall-out (sorry Bloke!).

Global eradication by the spread of radiation struck me as the most realistic consequence, so I figured no one would be mad enough to kick it all off. Not so sure nowadays, though.