Neil Peart, The Professor

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Hopweaver

Neil Peart, The Professor

Post by Hopweaver »

Sad news about Neil's passing. I have been a Rush fan for over 30 years. And never missed a tour since my first one in 1988. It has been a few days since the news broke, and I still struggle with losing one of my heroes. He truly was a professor on the drums. When Rush quit touring in 2015 I always hoped they would come out of retirement one day.

:bug-red Make time for the important things in life, and learn to enjoy the little things more. :bug-red
cabfrank

Re: Neil Peart, The Professor

Post by cabfrank »

Sad indeed. Way way back in the day, early in high school, I saw RUSH in concert. I thought then, and it hasn't been surpassed, that his drum solo was the best I had ever heard. I had no idea of how talented he was, just that it was a fantastic solo. Years later I realized it should have come as no surprise. I also forgot, until reading about his unfortunate passing, that he was the main lyricist. I always just assumed it was Geddy Lee. Peart definitely left his mark on the music of his era, in a fantastic way.
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Look up Aaron Kitcher if you want to see some pretty incredible drumming... the style may not be everybody's cup of tea, but you have to respect this guys ability!

4:40 mark to really blow your mind with his speed.

https://youtu.be/-L6dFJj ... rt_radio=1
Last edited by TkoK83Spy on Fri Jan 17, 2020 10:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

There was a really good documentary about Rush a few years ago, I'm going to have to find and watch that again.

Edit: Beyond the Lighted Stage is the name of it and it looks like it's on YT.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

If you get the chance, watch "Beyond the lighted stage", a really good documentary about Rush (I've been a huge fan since 1975)
Neils passing made me really sad, i can't seem to get my head around it. I knew Rush would most likely never play as a band again, but now it is definite since they have all said that Rush is Neil, Alex and Geddy - or nothing.
May he rest in peace, i will never forget him for as long as i live!
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
Larry_Mott

Post by Larry_Mott »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:03 pm
There was a really good documentary about Rush a few years ago, I'm going to have to find and watch that again.

That's funny, wrote my post and clicked submit, then i answered a PM on Facebook, came back here and saw it was not published. Thought i might have forgotten to press submit, but most likely your post was published during me writing mine :)
Anyways, agree on "beyonf the lighted stage"!
Also, the Rush in Rio DVD has a "documentary section" that is also fun to watch.
"Life is fragile - we should take better care of each other, and ourselves - every day!"
//Eva Mott 1941 - 2019. R.I.P.
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

;) great minds think alike.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
rangefinder

Post by rangefinder »

Peart was also an avid motorcyclist:

https://www.cycleworld.com/hundred-mile ... eil-peart/
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

RIP Neil, you are sorely missed. After my initial exposure to 2112, I have followed the band compulsively back then as a budding drummer. I can honestly say that this man, the band -- changed my life. He has always been my main percussion influence over all these years (not that I'll ever hold a candle to Neil on my best day. Don't get me wrong -- I'm pretty good in my own rite, but not quite 'professor good' -- I'll be chasing that brilliant star to the day I am no longer able to play). ;)

I believe he was 'Non Religious'; I am Spiritualistic and I'm okay with that.

My thoughts are with the families and all other loyal fans in this incredibly tough time.

SB / BRUCE
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

legOFwhat? wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:03 pm

Thanks! I found the full version on Netflix

Sad news about Neil Peart. Been a big Rush fan since the 80's. Sad thing is, of all the bands I've seen play over the years I never got to see Rush.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
benben

Post by benben »

My first Rush concert was in 1982, I think I correct in saying I've seen Rush 10 times? My take on Neil is he's absolutely the best drummer ever, at least in my mind, but........the thing that a lot of people don't know or understand, he's one of the best music / lyric songwriters ever, the guy was a genius! What it must have been like to be inside his head at the peak of his musical career? You're a legend Neil, thanks for sharing your talents with us!
benben

Post by benben »

SkullBouncer wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:07 pm
RIP Neil, you are sorely missed. After my initial exposure to 2112, I have followed the band compulsively back then as a budding drummer. I can honestly say that this man, the band -- changed my life. He has always been my main percussion influence over all these years (not that I'll ever hold a candle to Neil on my best day. Don't get me wrong -- I'm pretty good in my own rite, but not quite 'professor good' -- I'll be chasing that brilliant star to the day I am no longer able to play). ;)

My thoughts are with the families and all other loyal fans in this incredibly tough time.

SB / BRUCE
Great post Skull, all day yesterday at work I was "YouTubing" some old Rush live videos and songs! Musical magic, brings back tons of great memories!
This is a great video!
https://youtu.be/YSToKcbWz1k
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

Back in the day I was a huge Rush fan. It’s sad he passed.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

benben wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:58 am
SkullBouncer wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 9:07 pm

SB / BRUCE
Great post Skull, all day yesterday at work I was "YouTubing" some old Rush live videos and songs! Musical magic, brings back tons of great memories!
This is a great video!
https://youtu.be/YSToKcbWz1k

Yessir, that would be on Rush's 30th Anniversary DVD simply named R30. Loving that band till the end of time. :cool:

SB / BRUCE
dan31

Post by dan31 »

Phenomenal Musician! RIP
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I agree. RIP Neil.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Sorry to hear of his passing. It still blows me away that virtually all of the Rolling Stones are still living :eek:

Every time RUSH came here to KC, MO USA they sold out each time. Again my condolences for his family and fans.
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:09 pm
Look up Aaron Kitcher if you want to see some pretty incredible drumming... the style may not be everybody's cup of tea, but you have to respect this guys ability!

Holy Sheepdip -- it's my cup of tea Now!

Hahaha that was BEYOND brutal! :D

Thanks for that -- he'll be remembered!

-- SB / Bruce ;) ;)
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

SkullBouncer wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:55 am
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:09 pm

Holy Sheepdip -- it's my cup of tea Now!

Hahaha that was BEYOND brutal! :D

Thanks for that -- he'll be remembered!

-- SB / Bruce ;) ;)
I didn't mean to hijack this thread or take away anything from Neal, but I had just finished watching that incredible drum play through with a buddy at work and then saw this thread. Figured anybody that's into some great drumming skills may appreciate it :cool:
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick