Local Businesses Self Destructing

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: Local Businesses Self Destructing

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 11:17 am
James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:37 am
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 10:29 am
I do know many locals who will only shop at the small local stores, and some can even be quite militant about it. Around here it’s a double-whammy of tourists and locals, including locals from outside of the immediate area.

Jim

That's not actually a bad thing. :)
Not at all. In fact, it’s refreshing.

Jim

I try and do the same thing when I can, not all that many good options in my area however so.

Depends on what I am buying or looking for.

Both of the Grocery Stores I shop at are based and started in NC.

For the other stuff it depends, I can't stand any of the sporting good stores around here.

The gun stores, pretty much the same.... So I tend to stay out of those... I start shaking my head about 3 secs after I walk through the door and within 10 secs I am back out. :rolleyes:

They aren't very professional IMO... They look like they are ready for the zombie apocalypse or some stupid crap.... :rolleyes:

NOPE.... ;)
The nearest gun shop around here is maybe 3 miles away, interestingly enough, near Sea World. They also have a gun range I've shot at a few times in the past. I'm not really a gun person and don't actually own one, but I have been in a couple other local gun shops a little further out as well. Luckily, so far, all the ones I've been in locally have been professional.

I personally shop all over the place. Some things are at a greater variety and cheaper at Target or Ralph's. But I also buy from small locally-owned businesses.

Jim
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

We have 1 left, a family owned gunshop. It's sad how things are changing.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 1:44 pm
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

That's not actually a bad thing. :)

Jim

I try and do the same thing when I can, not all that many good options in my area however so.

For the other stuff it depends, I can't stand any of the sporting good stores around here.

The gun stores, pretty much the same.... So I tend to stay out of those... I start shaking my head about 3 secs after I walk through the door and within 10 secs I am back out. :rolleyes:

They aren't very professional IMO... They look like they are ready for the zombie apocalypse or some stupid crap.... :rolleyes:

NOPE.... ;)
The nearest gun shop around here is maybe 3 miles away, interestingly enough, near Sea World. They also have a gun range I've shot at a few times in the past. I'm not really a gun person and don't actually own one, but I have been in a couple other local gun shops a little further out as well. Luckily, so far, all the ones I've been in locally have been professional.

I personally shop all over the place. Some things are at a greater variety and cheaper at Target or Ralph's. But I also buy from small locally-owned businesses.

Jim

When I lived in MD we had 2 that were very good, very professional.

Down here all I see in my area is the opposite, very unprofessional and all geared up like they are going into the zombie apocalypse or something. :rolleyes:

Like looking at those stupid magazine ads or something, it would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

I just can't shop in them, I just can't do it....
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:02 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:
James Y wrote:

Jim

NOPE.... ;)

Jim

Down here all I see in my area is the opposite, very unprofessional and all geared up like they are going into the zombie apocalypse or something. :rolleyes:

Like looking at those stupid magazine ads or something, it would be funny if it wasn't so pathetic.

Jim,

I think the reason the local gun shops I’ve seen are more professional is probably because they are also frequented by LEOs. Luckily, I haven’t personally seen any ‘weirdo’ gun shops around here.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:55 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 7:02 pm
James Y wrote:
Ankerson wrote:

NOPE.... ;)

Jim

Jim,

I think the reason the local gun shops I’ve seen are more professional is probably because they are also frequented by LEOs. Luckily, I haven’t personally seen any ‘weirdo’ gun shops around here.

Jim

Jim,

You are lucky then. :)

I was shocked the 1st time I saw it. :eek:

All I could think was "You have to be freaking kidding me" :rolleyes:

Jim
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

It’s a vicious circle - the less we spend locally, the less the shops stock, the less we spend there.

Like Jim Y, I live in a coastal city (albeit a small one) with good transport links, where we have a lot of visitors which usually keeps things going the other direction. 10 miles in either direction things are very different however.

Edited to add that we don’t have many gun shops!
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:05 am
It’s a vicious circle - the less we spend locally, the less the shops stock, the less we spend there.

Like Jim Y, I live in a coastal city (albeit a small one) with good transport links, where we have a lot of visitors which usually keeps things going the other direction. 10 miles in either direction things are very different however.

It goes without saying that if a person doesn't make a conscious decision to patronize their local merchants then the infrastructure of a community's business environment is going down period. And it's sad too because I grew up in a community that operated that way. Where I live is a suburb of a bigger city but it still has a home town atmosphere to it.

In the past if a business in this area were to provide a good product or service they normally did good. The laziness of many consumers is beyond belief. Anymore most people I talk to would rather order a case of a food item from one of the big on-line retail giants rather than to support the local merchants in their community.

In the past we've had "Rip-Mart" go into several rural towns here in Missouri USA and literally drive out all the "Mom & Pop" businesses and then jack the prices up when they are the only merchant left. And I'm afraid that's going to happen to us here in the USA if this trend continues.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:26 am
ChrisinHove wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 3:05 am

It goes without saying that if a person doesn't make a conscious decision to patronize their local merchants then the infrastructure of a community's business environment is going down period. And it's sad too because I grew up in a community that operated that way. Where I live is a suburb of a bigger city but it still has a home town atmosphere to it.

In the past if a business in this area were to provide a good product or service they normally did good. The laziness of many consumers is beyond belief. Anymore most people I talk to would rather order a case of a food item from one of the big on-line retail giants rather than to support the local merchants in their community.

In the past we've had "Rip-Mart" go into several rural towns here in Missouri USA and literally drive out all the "Mom & Pop" businesses and then jack the prices up when they are the only merchant left. And I'm afraid that's going to happen to us here in the USA if this trend continues.

That's what they do, they go in and under cut everyone by a lot and they do it as long as they need to drive everyone else out. :rolleyes:

Then they jack up the prices through the roof.

That's standard operating practice for them.... Seen it so many times over the years.

But it wouldn't work if the locals were smart and didn't let them come in and or just didn't shop there.

So in the end it's the customers that either keep them out or wreak their town.

Sadly MOST people can't see it and or are just too stupid to realize what is happening until it's too late.

And the really idiotic thing is you can tell them what is happening and they won't believe you.... :rolleyes:

When it comes to money MOST people have a brain lock so that works in rip-marts favor and how they can do what they do..... And they do it over and over...

Then what is left over in the end is a dead town with just rip-mart left.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Exactly.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
James Y

Post by James Y »

This thread has made me realize how lucky I am where I live. Although we have LOTS of stores in lots of places in and around my area, including Target, Ralph’s, Vons, etc., they haven’t affected the small one-off shops. I can’t recall seeing any empty storefronts around here. For example, the most popular burger joint in the area is local and was started in 1969 right in Ocean Beach, called Hodad’s. It’s one of the biggest things I remember from my beach days as a kid. Unfortunately, I can’t eat burgers anymore due to having given up beef and (through necessity) gluten. But if I could still, that would be the place for me. And there are major burger franchises in the area and only a mile or so away. But Hodad’s remains a local legend and burger Mecca. And the small, mom-and-pop markets are thriving alongside or near the chain stores. Something I’ve often taken for granted.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:14 am
This thread has made me realize how lucky I am where I live. Although we have LOTS of stores in lots of places in and around my area, including Target, Ralph’s, Vons, etc., they haven’t affected the small one-off shops. I can’t recall seeing any empty storefronts around here. For example, the most popular burger joint in the area is local and was started in 1969 right in Ocean Beach, called Hodad’s. It’s one of the biggest things I remember from my beach days as a kid. Unfortunately, I can’t eat burgers anymore due to having given up beef and (through necessity) gluten. But if I could still, that would be the place for me. And there are major burger franchises in the area and only a mile or so away. But Hodad’s remains a local legend and burger Mecca. And the small, mom-and-pop markets are thriving alongside or near the chain stores. Something I’ve often taken for granted.

Jim

A lot of times it depends on what is really near by, or if there is HWY access close.

It's the small towns that are not so easy to get to that are the real targets for them. They can go in and wipe all the other stores out in a short time.

And the people really don't have a lot of choices other than to drive a ways to get to something different. In general people in those types of towns you just can't talk to and tell them what is going on. They think rip-mart is what they want and you will not convince them otherwise. In the end once it's too late to do anything they finally realize.... But they are already screwed so it doesn't matter.

The bigger towns and cities they are just there and not the only game in town as the other big boys are there also. So they cater to the lower income and people on food stamps, welfare etc in general. They will usually build close enough to the projects and lower income areas to draw them all in. One only has to go during certain times of the month and look at the Western Union area to see it etc. They will be all lined up.... And the regular lines will be long due to the people using WICK etc.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Ankerson wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:42 am
James Y wrote:

Jim

A lot of times it depends on what is really near by, or if there is HWY access close.

It's the small towns that are not so easy to get to that are the real targets for them. They can go in and wipe all the other stores out in a short time.

And the people really don't have a lot of choices other than to drive a ways to get to something different. In general people in those types of towns you just can't talk to and tell them what is going on. They think rip-mart is what they want and you will not convince them otherwise. In the end once it's too late to do anything they finally realize.... But they are already screwed so it doesn't matter.

The bigger towns and cities they are just there and not the only game in town as the other big boys are there also. So they cater to the lower income and people on food stamps, welfare etc in general. They will usually build close enough to the projects and lower income areas to draw them all in. One only has to go during certain times of the month and look at the Western Union area to see it etc. They will be all lined up.... And the regular lines will be long due to the people using WICK etc.
I see what you mean. It’s really too bad that so many people don’t realize what they’ve got until it’s gone.

As far as Wal-Mart, the nearest one to me is something like 15 miles or more away, and there’s really no closer location I can think of where they could open another one. It wouldn’t be economically feasible for Wal-Mart.

There are some other areas in San Diego County where you can see plenty of shuttered windows in little strip malls from failed businesses. Sometimes it’s just that the area isn’t in a convenient or centralized enough location, or isn’t a destination people strive to get to, other than living in. Many of them have to drive a ways to shop. Other times it’s just a bad area. Besides Wal-Mart, there are the 99-cent stores and lots of liquor stores, especially in the latter types of areas.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:52 am
Ankerson wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:42 am
James Y wrote:

Jim

I see what you mean. It’s really too bad that so many people don’t realize what they’ve got until it’s gone.

As far as Wal-Mart, the nearest one to me is something like 15 miles or more away, and there’s really no closer location I can think of where they could open another one. It wouldn’t be economically feasible for Wal-Mart.

There are some other areas in San Diego County where you can see plenty of shuttered windows in little strip malls from failed businesses. Sometimes it’s just that the area isn’t in a convenient or centralized enough location, or isn’t a destination people strive to get to, other than living in. Many of them have to drive a ways to shop. Other times it’s just a bad area. Besides Wal-Mart, there are the 99-cent stores and lots of liquor stores, especially in the latter types of areas.

Jim
Jim,

I grew up for the most part in a very small town in MD. Not even one stop light.... Like I said very small...

To get food or anything else you had to drive a good ways, like 15 miles or more depending. One place was all 2 lane roads to get to, the other was HWY, but longer distance and you had to get to the HWY 1st... There was a small general store and liquor store in town and a Southern States. The High's came later. Was in HS when they built that.

This was all well before rip-mart started to take hold though. The 1st one wasn't even built until the 90's in the area were the stores were and that was a regular one in a larger town.

Jim
James Y

Post by James Y »

That would definitely make it easier for a huge corporation like Wal-Mart to gain a monopoly. Where I am, I’m no more than maybe a 2 minute drive from the nearest stores, in more than one direction.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

James Y wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 7:58 pm
That would definitely make it easier for a huge corporation like Wal-Mart to gain a monopoly. Where I am, I’m no more than maybe a 2 minute drive from the nearest stores, in more than one direction.

Jim

As far as I know they still don't have one in the town were I grew up. :)

There is a Food Lion near by, but that is for the most part it.

Looks like they kept them out... Just check and the nearest one is about 20 miles from that town. :)
Last edited by Ankerson on Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

As to Walmart destroying local businesses...I live near a small town of 8500...Walmart has been in town since the early 90's, became a Super WM in the early 2000's. In addition we have 4 very busy smaller grocery stores- one medium size chain (Kroger subsidiary), two small local chains and one small local independent and all have been here 25 years at a minimum....all doing very well, had a 5th but the owners retired to Florida in their 70's. We have 3 hardware stores...all doing well. 5 banks...all well. 4 eyeglasses businesses...all fine. Etc...Etc...Etc....All places that everyone claimed would be crushed by the mighty WM when it arrived and again when it supersized. Hasn't happened yet. And I can name at least 25 other small towns here in southern Indiana and as many in Kentucky/Illinois/etc...that have the same story. Has WM caused closings, definitely, but usually in places that had underlying economic issues to begin with.

As to gunshops, and speaking as a retired FFL holding dealer, Most old school gunshops ran by actual gunsmiths and real shooters are gone. They have been replaced by opportunists seeking to capitalize on the former Obama years gun rushes and manufactured panic that came from it. Most of that gave rise to the "zombie apocalypse" or "space shuttle door gunner" type shops...Most having ZERO actual gun knowledge other than what they read on the 'net and watch on Youtube. And many of those are closing now. (About time in my opinion) The problem with starting a gunshop is similar to any other business...an 8% or so profit margin on the firearms (if you are honest), internet sellers not paying the overhead you are, buying power when you are starting out (can't get competitive pricing when your orders are so small), a product able to sustain you when gun sales are down (range, classes, training, law enforcement contracts, etc...). Just to name a few. It's hard work when done right and is populated but a goodly number of idiots at the present time.

YMMV
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:16 pm
As to Walmart destroying local businesses...I live near a small town of 8500...Walmart has been in town since the early 90's, became a Super WM in the early 2000's. In addition we have 4 very busy smaller grocery stores- one medium size chain (Kroger subsidiary), two small local chains and one small local independent and all have been here 25 years at a minimum....all doing very well, had a 5th but the owners retired to Florida in their 70's. We have 3 hardware stores...all doing well. 5 banks...all well. 4 eyeglasses businesses...all fine. Etc...Etc...Etc....All places that everyone claimed would be crushed by the mighty WM when it arrived and again when it supersized. Hasn't happened yet. And I can name at least 25 other small towns here in southern Indiana and as many in Kentucky/Illinois/etc...that have the same story. Has WM caused closings, definitely, but usually in places that had underlying economic issues to begin with.

As to gunshops, and speaking as a retired FFL holding dealer, Most old school gunshops ran by actual gunsmiths and real shooters are gone. They have been replaced by opportunists seeking to capitalize on the former Obama years gun rushes and manufactured panic that came from it. Most of that gave rise to the "zombie apocalypse" or "space shuttle door gunner" type shops...Most having ZERO actual gun knowledge other than what they read on the 'net and watch on Youtube. And many of those are closing now. (About time in my opinion) The problem with starting a gunshop is similar to any other business...an 8% or so profit margin on the firearms (if you are honest), internet sellers not paying the overhead you are, buying power when you are starting out (can't get competitive pricing when your orders are so small), a product able to sustain you when gun sales are down (range, classes, training, law enforcement contracts, etc...). Just to name a few. It's hard work when done right and is populated but a goodly number of idiots at the present time.

YMMV

The town I grew up in has about 8,000 people now, was a lot less than that back when I was growing up, a lot less.

Currently the nearest Wal-Mart is about 15 Miles away so they have kept them out.
cbrstar

Post by cbrstar »

"The customer is always right" Many stores hate this saying and prefer to say that it's not true. But the problem is the meaning of that saying is lost on the modern generation. What it really means is " Treat the customer like they are your Boss" or in other words put them first.

If your boss asks you to grab something. "You don't roll your eyes and say "Yeah in a minute" and continue chatting with your co-worker. You snap to it and grab it. Same goes for a customer. You snap to it when they ask you for something. Because thier purchases are paying your wage so they are indirectly your Boss!

If businesses treated thier customers with utmost respect. They would get way more business.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

cbrstar wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:39 am
"The customer is always right" Many stores hate this saying and prefer to say that it's not true. But the problem is the meaning of that saying is lost on the modern generation. What it really means is " Treat the customer like they are your Boss" or in other words put them first.

If your boss asks you to grab something. "You don't roll your eyes and say "Yeah in a minute" and continue chatting with your co-worker. You snap to it and grab it. Same goes for a customer. You snap to it when they ask you for something. Because thier purchases are paying your wage so they are indirectly your Boss!

If businesses treated thier customers with utmost respect. They would get way more business.

This topic is well beyond that saying.

Bottom line is customers are NOT loyal in general no matter what you do, it's an illusion and they will go someplace else in a heartbeat for a number of reasons.

None of which has to do with that saying.

While customer service is important, the customer is always right is the biggest pile of crap that was ever said.

Truth is about 80% of the time they are wrong, it's that 20% of the time they are right that they really need to help.

The customer is NOT the boss, they are a guest and need to be treated as a guest, that has been long forgotten in the business world.

Respect goes BOTH ways, that has also been lost over the years.

Company policies are in place for a reason, follow those to the letter no matter what and you will always come out on top.
Last edited by Ankerson on Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:11 am, edited 2 times in total.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

cbrstar wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:39 am

Some great principles you've pointed out. I can't tell you how many "Mom & Pop" businesses I've quit doing business with because of rudeness, disrespect and even gross dishonesty in many cases as well.

And realistically the customer is NOT always right. When I was younger I did a lot of work for a good friend of my Mother. This woman was truly good hearted but just dumber than a brick and had no common sense what so ever :rolleyes: . And going into stores with her was extremely painful and embarrassing and on 2 occasions I took up for the store owner/manager over her because of her being 100% wrong.

No sometimes dealing with the public is a losing game and the store owners and/or managers are right in many instances. I won't take up for anyone when they are terribly wrong even if it's family.