Sydney fires

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ChrisinHove

Re: Sydney fires

Post by ChrisinHove »

Some people are just sick/stupid/evil beyond comprehension. To compound already such a terrible natural disaster in such ways they all deserve whatever they get.
Best wishes.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 12:48 am
Some people are just sick/stupid/evil beyond comprehension. To compound already such a terrible natural disaster in such ways they all deserve whatever they get.
Best wishes.
Many Thanks, Chris. :)

It’s bizarre! You have to wonder and what’s even worse is, they’re most likely repeat offenders that just happened to get caught this time round. Every year we have bushfires started deliberately by arsonist, every year.

Prison’s a pretty good place for them. They’d be loathed by fellow inmates nearly as much as rock spiders (child molesters) and dogs (informers) and handed rough justice on a daily basis.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
James Y

Post by James Y »

Bloke,

I am sending positive energy and prayers for you/your family, and those of all other forum members from Down Under; that these fires come to an end, and for a recovery to come as soon as possible. It breaks my heart to see so many lives ruined, and to see the dazed wildlife...koalas, etc...grasping eagerly as workers hold water bottles for them.

Yes, there are people who are evil (and stupid) incarnate, who would love to see the world burn. Although nowhere near the scale your country is experiencing, but a few years back when the city I live in was beset with several large wildfires (some of which seemed to start simultaneously), it was discovered that one particularly big one was started by a 13 year-old girl. That one fire destroyed homes and jeopardized many more. When she was brought into court, the TV news actually showed her. She held her head high and had a blank expression with a bit of a smirk. She ended up getting not much more than a ‘slap on the wrist.’ Her parents remained supportive of her (obviously), and several homeowners who were affected wanted to sue them, but I don’t know if that ever led anywhere. That girl is clearly a sociopath or a psychopath, which will not change as she gets older. In fact, she was probably encouraged by the attention and the light “punishment” she received.

To me, it doesn’t matter if it’s a man, a woman or a teen; this girl was old enough, and reportedly knew exactly what she was doing; and as she started it, her friend reported that she had been laughing maniacally. Yet she was never held accountable after upending so many people’s lives, and endangering so many others’. A person would get into more trouble than she did by carrying a Swiss Army knife into a courthouse. It’s obvious that she (and many others caught lighting fires) are pure sociopaths, and they never seem to pay an adequate price, even when caught.

Another guy who started a fire because he was “lost” and wanted to be found caused a fire that not only destroyed homes over a wide section of the county, but also killed multiple people who were trying to flee in their cars, got off easy, too. Compounding that, when he was lost, he’d only been maybe a football field’s distance from a highway.

I’m hoping that your air quality also clears as soon as possible.

Jim
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Many Thanks, Jim! :)

That’s how it is here in Oz. Unless teenagers here commit murder they have little to worry about. We have teenagers in some of the less affluent areas that run rampant vandalising vehicles in shopping centres, harassing and bullying older people and taunting security personnel who are powerless to act and can only protect themselves from abuse and missiles thrown at them. We recently had a couple of fifteen year olds (I think?) maybe even younger steel a vehicle that they used to sideswipe numerous vehicle and when arrested were basically told they were very naughty children and they must not do things like this again. The vehicle owners could go take a running jump.

We’ve lost the plot.

Anyhow, we got good rain Northwest of Sydney yesterday. Some areas got 80mm that did douse some fires there. Now we’re worried about flash floods. Ah, we live in a country of extremes. If we’re not parched or on fire we’re drowning or treading water. Ah, hahaha! It’s not funny but if you don’t laugh you’ll cry. Unfortunately little to none fell in the catchment to top up our water supply.

It’s raining again today and it’s predicted we’ll get plenty more in the next few days, so here’s hoping!
James Y

Post by James Y »

Well, at least there’s some hopefully good news there, Bloke! And also, hopefully the rain might help a bit to clear the air of particulates from the fires, as well as supply you with a good source of water.

Jim
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

James Y wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:46 pm
Well, at least there’s some hopefully good news there, Bloke! And also, hopefully the rain might help a bit to clear the air of particulates from the fires, as well as supply you with a good source of water.

Jim
It's been raining all morning, Jim and looking at the radar we're getting good falls to the west and it looks like some's falling in the catchment too, Thank God.

We're no out of the woods yet by a long shot but this rain is giving some of the poor old firefighter a little reprieve if nothing else. :cool:
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Hi Bloke -- First of all, I want to congratulate you on your breaking the 4100 post milestone!

Alas, I too am late in addressing the Australia wildfires. Thoughts and prayers go out to you and yours, and to your countrymen and nation overall.

I've been keeping abreast of these serial conflagrations through what I've read here, and other sites on the internet -- I do not own a television; haven't for 6-8 years. Rather, I am a dedicated and lifelong committed audiophile, studio owner, as well a multi- instrumentalist recording artist and engineer, plus being a VFW Life Member.

It breaks my heart to follow all of this, the 42% of remaining fresh water reserves and the constraints of time before it will be replenished; the gross losses in the millions of animal (and human) deaths, and incredible property losses. I do want to tell you that, as a military- trained firefighter (mandatory extensive instruction and training for duty, in my case aboard the first Aircraft Supercarrier USS FORRESTAL CV-59) ...I am no stranger to the science of fighting conflagrations; we were heavily immersed in such -- just search 'USS Forrestal Fire / 1967 Gulf of Tonkin, Viet Nam'.

This is the worst non- enemy caused shipboard disaster in U.S. Naval history.

I wasn't onboard her then, but I've read and written volumes about her since, as well my affiliation with men who served aboard her at the time. For Christmas this past year, my family gifted me a hard back, 1.5 inch thick book entitled 'Sailors To The End', documenting the disaster and is exclusively devoted to the sailors whom survived and whose whom made the ultimate sacrifice battling the devastating fires and explosions for the better part of three days. When all was said and done, 134 men and officers lost their lives in a desperate bid to save the ship, which they did at a horrendous price. This disaster forever revolutionized firefighting Navy- wide and pioneered through training the ways in which we conduct firefighting at sea as well through upgrades, training and qualifications. In combating fires at sea, you either succeed... or die. There's no walking home.

This disaster forever revolutionized firefighting Navy- wide and pioneered new training methods and systems upgrades in the ways which fires are fought at sea what was then state of the art upgrades and retrofitting.

I've been keeping abreast of these serial conflagrations through what I've read here, and other sites on the internet -- I do not own a television; haven't for 6-8 years. Rather, I am a dedicated and lifelong committed audiophile, studio owner, as well a multi- instrumentalist recording artist and engineer, plus being a VFW Life Member.

Bloke, this is in no way intended to diminish the gargantuan disasters you as a country face, but I believe we will see more such 'seasonal' conflagrations up here in the 'States and beyond. It's akin to 'all hands on deck' for first responders and we pray for providence, containment, ultimate victory and the start down the long road of healing for our brothers and sisters Down Under as soon as humanly possible. In the U.S., some of the worst series of fires in our history were obviously coordinated arson, particularly here in the Mountainous West of Colorado as well in the State of California, among others. The 'Storm King fire' here was among the worst in terms of human loss and overall land disasters -- that STILL doesn't hold a candle to what you in Oz face and fight. :(

We are committed to helping and seeing you all through this, and the elements of the unknown from here on out.

For four years the first time around, in one of two separate enlistments, I worked on the flight deck and hangar deck to become what they term as 'Blue- Shirt qualified', meaning chocks- and- chains, and, later as a Yellow Shirt coordinating aircraft direction and handling between the flight deck and the hangar deck as an ABH (Aviation Boatswain's Mate / Handler) loading up four steam driven catapults, in launch and recovery operations aboard the first Super Carrier USS FORRESTAL CV-59. Just under a quarter mile long, displacing 80,000 tons, 252 feet beam with top speed of 34 knots to generate enough deck wind to launch aircraft.

Some background: We and our battle groups deployed within the Sixth Fleet in the Mediterranean and Middle East in '82 when we actually made the ship's first transit of the Suez Canal through NE Egypt. The Red Sea is, of course at the south end of the Suez, and from there we deployed with the Fifth Fleet based in Bahrain, just outside the Strait of Hormuz. We were one of two fourteen- ship carrier battle groups in the region. I worked my A$$ off, and was eventually promoted into an elite division of the Air Department known as V-0, where I worked in Primary Flight Control in the upper- most level of the superstructure abreast of the Bridge with the Air Boss and Mini Boss, both full bird Captains (O-6) in coordinating Launch and Recovery with all five divisions in the Air Department, coordinating Flight Ops, four on days and four on nights throughout the '82 deployment. Served eight years under Reagan and Bush 41. The experience was amazing, especially in light of the fact that participating in Carrier Flight Ops is among the most hazardous occupations in the free world, as well Navy SEAL / UDT (underwater demolition teams).

From '83- '85, Forrestal was assigned to SLEP (Service Life Extension Program) in PNSY (Philadelphia Naval Shipyard) where I worked within the Controlled Industrial Area as a structural flame cutter and welder -- the longest yard period ever done while keeping a ship in Commissioned Active Duty; 20% of the ship's full compliment stayed through the dry dock period. I continued crash and salvage training while in Philly, then deployed on and off again for the final five months of ship- wide shake-down cruises and sea- readiness proving. She re-deployed again in theater in '86 after I'd completed my first enlistment. Forrestal was decommissioned and mothballed in 1993, and was scrapped around Y2K in Brownsville, Tx, followed by Saratoga CV-60, and later, USS Enterprise CVN 65. Others followed the same fate in forward modernization of our present Fleet Carriers.

Man, I watched the video posting of those heroes engaged in combating the unbelievable firestorms. Why on God's Green Earth this all isn't getting more coverage here I can't be sure, other than by leftist agenda- driven journalistic ideology and through intentional coordinated press suppression.

I've been postulating over the last 3 years or so that we are witnessing nothing less than widespread tactical environmental terrorism, orchestrated and coordinated through sleeper cells just awaiting the eco- fatwa. These monsters actually boast of and proudly take 'credit' for and aggressively ordering concentrated arson. To the best of my knowledge only 200- some arsonists have been captured as per reports I have read. I solemnly believe that we are entering a new phase of global anti- west terror strikes, largely kept on the down- low in our 'free media', all the while through continuing threats and targeted strikes. Being in V-0 I was vetted and approved to attain a Level Secret clearance, and you would not believe a lot of that which I was privy on a daily or nightly basis. We and the Air Wing were exposed to Intel in real- time war power operations in Beiruit, Lebanon, as well overwhelming firepower engagements over Tripoli, Libya -- after we 'left the scene', Khadafi behaved himself from then up until he was violently deposed and butchered by his own people during the Obama administration, leaving in his wake complete chaos and a vacuum of power. And -- NEVER FORGET BENGHAZI -- The truth is quashed to this day, and I cannot BELIEVE the sh*t in which Hillary was instrumentally involved, and she got away with so much sh*t at upper levels of our government that is mindblowing. I don't believe the entire chronology of it all will ever come out in our lifetimes. She and her choice cronies belong in nice, orange jumpsuits behind cold steel bars. IMHO, of course.
======================================================================
I hope the length of this post didn't put anyone to sleep -- pretty much just poured out and virtually wrote itself, actually.

Edited for clarity -- I hope I got it all.

Farewell for now. Stay Safe and Stay Sharp, man.

SB / Bruce
Last edited by SkullBouncer on Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:29 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Bloke wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 7:35 pm
James Y wrote:
Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:46 pm

Jim
It's been raining all morning, Jim and looking at the radar we're getting good falls to the west and it looks like some's falling in the catchment too, Thank God.

We're no out of the woods yet by a long shot but this rain is giving some of the poor old firefighter a little reprieve if nothing else. :cool:

That´s good news and I was very happy for you and your family (well, and of course for everyone else in the wildfire areas) when I heard that in the news even here in Austria! :) (since this get´s confused sometimes by NON Austrians and NON Aussies: AUSTRIA, not AUSTRALIA :D )

As always, Alex, all my best wishes to you and your family!

Gernot
Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

That's wonderful news! A lot of prayers have been answered.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Bruce, Gernot and Barry, Many Thanks fellas!

Bruce, the terrorist thing has certainly crossed my mind. It’s a scary prospect no doubt. I’m not sure it’s the case here but certainly something to be considered.

There are a few theories flying about as you may imagine but I don’t like to speculate and we’ll see how it all pans out after the fires are extinguished.

Anyhow, we are getting some good rain fall (little in our catchment area) which like most things in Oz comes at it’s own cost, primarily Flash Fooding but, ay, no ones complaining. And in true Australian Spirit the people affected by flood are just happy the rain has bought some relief to so many affected by the fires. I s’pose it’s the lesser of two Evils, at present at least and indicative of how things are on our island home. It never rains, it pours!

https://youtu.be/5h-8g0oammw

Thanks Again for all your well wishes! :)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Bracing for another scorcher today with Total Fire Ban in place. No open flames or hot work and extremely heavy fines for any breach.

It’s just before 08:30 and it’s already 29degC or 84degF.

The forecast for Sydney on the coast is 41degC or 106degF and humidity is off the scale. God Knows what it will get to inland. :eek:
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

:eek: That's hot for coastland!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

bearrowland wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 11:07 pm
:eek: That's hot for coastland!!
It’s a little warm for sure, Barry. :)

It topped out at 43.7degC (111degF) at Sydney airport a couple of hours ago.

Just heard on the radio on my way home that there’s been a “Major Incident” up in the high country that’s still burning. It’s unconfirmed but it appears one off the large water bombing planes has come down. Here’s hoping they’re wrong.

I’ll know more after the six o’clock New this evening.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I hope not too Bloke...
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/ ... 1579789582

Bloke sent this. Three residents (?) of America were killed putting out the fires in an airplane crash.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
James Y

Post by James Y »

Doc Dan wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 9:06 am
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/news/ ... 1579789582

Bloke sent this. Three residents (?) of America were killed putting out the fires in an airplane crash.
Oh, no...

Jim
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Terrible news. Dangerous jobs, incredible heroes.

Waiting on the outcome of the investigations.

Thoughts and prayers to all in concern. :( :(

Damnit. - Bruce
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Dear Lord no....God bless their families.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Man... this rips my guts out. I am SO SORRY that you all are going through that ****.
It's absolutely a feeling of helplessness ...the compulsion to do Something is virtually overwhelming.

Stay Tough down there -- we're with you through to the end of this series of disasters.

SB/ Bruce :(