Any dog lovers?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
DSH007

Re: Any dog lovers?

Post by DSH007 »

Hah, love this thread! I don't own any dogs at the moment.. actually, I never technically have.. but I've lived with one most of my life..

Sophie was the family dog growing up.. beagle/basset mix, about 70 lbs, though she doesn't look it in the picture.. sweetest dog you'd ever meet.. dumb as a brick haha.

After college, I moved in with a friend who had a beagle and worked a lot of hours. Buster eventually became my dog as much as his. I lived with him for about a decade. Definitely one of the most intelligent dogs I've ever met.. but he focused all of that intelligence into being a stubborn little @sshole. Hahah, we got along swimmingly..

Eventually, I moved out, but would still visit and beagle-sit when my buddy and his family went on vacation. This is one of the last pictures taken of Buster and I, just before he passed away.. I didn't know that it was being taken at the time, but I'm so glad that it was.

A few months after Buster passed, they got Tahoe, who I also beagle-sit for occasionally and kidnap for walks in the woods.. he's about the cutest d@mn thing I've ever seen, but sometimes just a little bit too goofy for his own good..

Unfortunately, the apartment that I live in now doesn't allow animals, so I have to get my dog fix from visiting my sister and her chihuahua. At ~15 lbs, Bailey is about the largest chihuahua that I've ever seen in real life and is actually a really awesome dog.. once you get to know her..if you are another dog, small child, stranger, or brisk wind, she will viciously attack you.. but once she's comfortable around you, she'll turn into a little cuddly lump and be content to lay around for hours..

Haha, so yes, I guess you could say that I'm a dog lover..

:)
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Looks like you need yourself a dog Rick!! Love that pic of Tahoe with the sand on his nose :)
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

Dogs are a requirement in my life. Atleast one, preferably two. Right now we have polar opposites. One is a 50lb, man eating, meat missile. The other is a sub 10lb lap dog that could be confused with a teddy bear. They are best buddies!

On the right, is my daughter's bodyguard/shadow. She is a 3 year old Pitbull, that goes everywhere my daughter does. She is two things; a highly trained, extremely vicious attack dog and a sweet, loving family pet. She performs both of her jobs VERY well. She is the most impressive dog I've ever had in terms of sheer performance and intellect. As a brief example of her intelligence and athleticism, here's a story of the time my uncle was seconds from death(he thought).

It was the day after Christmas 2019, we were all sitting in the living room watching TV. My uncle didn't make it by on Christmas day, so he decided to drop by unannounced the next day. He just opened the door and proceeded to come on in.
Not if Pinki had anything to say about it!

Before he had both feet fully in the door, with zero noise, this dog was attached to his wrist, preparing to yank him to the ground and eat his face. Before I could say a word in protest, she let go of his wrist, took a step back, let out a low growl/snort and walked back to her bed(the couch).
All this happened in less than 10 seconds and when it was over, he had absolutely no injuries at all.
She has the power to crush his wrist instantly and doesn't even leave a bruise, blew my mind! She apprehended the threat, processed its identity/intent and disengaged without causing any damage(physically). Beast Dog!

He knocks now.
:D

On the left, we have the newest addition to the family. My wife's new Havamalt pup, Bo. He's about 5 months old and I like him much more than I thought I would. I do not usually like toy dogs, because of the yipping. I can't stand a barking, yippy dog. But these guys don't make a sound. Occasionally they will let out a singular bark while they are playing, but they never yap, whine or anything. They are just soft and cuddly(soft doesn't adequately describe it).

Another suprise was the smell, or lack there of. These dogs have NO smell. They will both come inside after running around, Pinki will stink like an old wet dog and Bo smells neutral, like nothing. I will definitely get another Havamalt or Havanese in the future. They are great companion dogs.
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
spyderg

Post by spyderg »

Harley(mastiff/boxer/ridgeback/?) and Sienna(husky and or malamute/heeler/?)
A7F9A654-1FDF-44E2-94A3-649B65BF2B70.jpeg
If you're wielding the sharpest tool in the shed, who's going to say that you aren't...?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Rick, I love beagles! My parents had a beagle/basset mix named Baxter but my parents called him Sluggo because he was a couch potato. He was a good boy!

I hope to get a beagle some day.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Here is my Vera, my wife and I on top of Mount Quandry a few years ago.

-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

^ awesome family picture Darby!

Beagles are great dogs.. just about the friendliest and most loyal breed I can think of.. but they can also be as stubborn as it gets when their noses get the best of them, which happens a lot haha..

And yes, it's important to watch the food intake because beagles LOVE to eat.. Buster had to be put on several diets over the years haha.. usually when he started to trip the passenger seatbelt sensor in my jeep, which went off ~50lbs..
Rick H.

DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Fri Feb 28, 2020 7:04 pm
Looks like you need yourself a dog Rick!! Love that pic of Tahoe with the sand on his nose :)
I think you're right! Haha maybe I can convince the landlord that I need an "emotional support animal"..

Yeah, Tahoe is the man.. loves the beach!
Rick H.

bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

TkoK83Spy wrote:
Thu Jan 09, 2020 10:15 pm
Hahahah, somehow missed those pics BG... hilarious!!! Especially the faces between the seats! Literally brought a smile to my face :)
A little late, but I just saw your reply now. May this also bring a smile to your face:

Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

bgcameron wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:43 pm
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Hahahah, somehow missed those pics BG... hilarious!!! Especially the faces between the seats! Literally brought a smile to my face :)
A little late, but I just saw your reply now. May this also bring a smile to your face:

Oh, look at the cutie!

I maintain, if you have the time to train them properly, a Pitbull is the greatest dog on the face of this Earth.

They have the life expectancy of a small dog, the strength/speed of a large dog, they are sweet as can be and they will lay their life down to protect their family without hesitation.

Mine(posted above) is like a mother hen to my Daughter and Bo. She just follows, watching and waiting(and playing). Anything steps foot in the yard that isn't supposed to be there and she's on it before it can blink.

(She's eyeing the neighbor's dog. It stays out of our yard)
"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so."

-Thomas Jefferson
bgcameron

Post by bgcameron »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:52 am
bgcameron wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Oh, look at the cutie!

I maintain, if you have the time to train them properly, a Pitbull is the greatest dog on the face of this Earth.

They have the life expectancy of a small dog, the strength/speed of a large dog, they are sweet as can be and they will lay their life down to protect their family without hesitation.

Mine(posted above) is like a mother hen to my Daughter and Bo. She just follows, watching and waiting(and playing). Anything steps foot in the yard that isn't supposed to be there and she's on it before it can blink.
Beautiful dog. You have to own one to appreciate their abilities. Hero isn't a great guard dog (other than having a menacing bark). He is a pretty smart dog though- here is an example:
He is afraid of loud noises and if he ever hears something like fireworks he will go into the bathroom and lay on the bath mat. One day last year my wife came home after a long stressful day at work. In addition she had been very stressed about her dad's cancer. She sat on the floor in the kitchen and began crying. Hero left the room, and came back with the bath mat and gave it to her.
Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

bgcameron wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:29 am
Sumdumguy wrote:
bgcameron wrote:
TkoK83Spy wrote:
Oh, look at the cutie!

Beautiful dog. You have to own one to appreciate their abilities. Hero isn't a great guard dog (other than having a menacing bark). He is a pretty smart dog though- here is an example:
He is afraid of loud noises and if he ever hears something like fireworks he will go into the bathroom and lay on the bath mat. One day last year my wife came home after a long stressful day at work. In addition she had been very stressed about her dad's cancer. She sat on the floor in the kitchen and began crying. Hero left the room, and came back with the bath mat and gave it to her.
Condolences.

They are just terrific. Mine does a similar thing for my daughter if she's upset, except with her slobber baby. She'll dance into the room if the kid is upset, throw it on her and proceed to bathe her in affection. She will respond with, "Eww, slobber baby!" and then starts laughing, while trying to get the dog to stop licking her.

Never fails to make her smile, though.

The only thing that bugs me about her(aside from her bullwhip of a tail), is her targeted pulling. If I put her on a leash with anything but a pinch collar, she is constantly wanting to drag me around. My daughter(9) can hook her up with the same leash and the dog doesn't do a thing, complete slack in the leash...

What the heck, dog?

-Thomas Jefferson
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 12:54 pm
bgcameron wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:
bgcameron wrote:

Oh, look at the cutie!

Condolences.

They are just terrific. Mine does a similar thing for my daughter if she's upset, except with her slobber baby. She'll dance into the room if the kid is upset, throw it on her and proceed to bathe her in affection. She will respond with, "Eww, slobber baby!" and then starts laughing, while trying to get the dog to stop licking her.

The only thing that bugs me about her(aside from her bullwhip of a tail), is her targeted pulling. If I put her on a leash with anything but a pinch collar, she is constantly wanting to drag me around. My daughter(9) can hook her up with the same leash and the dog doesn't do a thing, complete slack in the leash...

What the heck, dog?
These things work wonders for the pulling.. https://www.petsafe.net/gentleleader
Rick H.

Sumdumguy

Post by Sumdumguy »

DSH007 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:49 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
bgcameron wrote:
Sumdumguy wrote:

Oh, look at the cutie!

Condolences.

What the heck, dog?
These things work wonders for the pulling.. https://www.petsafe.net/gentleleader
Yea, those are great for most dogs. I use a pinch collar if I have to take her on a leash in public. She's a lovebug in public, she really hams it up. But, it's always better to be safe when the dog is as capable as these are. The pinch collar is steel and can only be removed with the use of opposable thumbs and strength.

She's rarely on a leash at all, however.

I just find it funny that my daughter can walk around with her on a leash and she doesn't pull a bit.

Dad? Let's drag him around the block!

-Thomas Jefferson
markg

Post by markg »

Currently have a Doberman, Great Dane and a Jack Russell. Have had German Shepherds, and a couple of other Dobermans. Loved the GSD, but the hair... If you want a dog that cannot leave your side and has to be with you ever moment, literally attached to you, get an American Doberman. Frankly knowing what I know now, I would have only had Great Danes. I love them. Pretty chill, even when puppies, just great dogs.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Sumdumguy wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 7:12 pm
DSH007 wrote:
Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:49 pm
Sumdumguy wrote:
bgcameron wrote:

Condolences.

What the heck, dog?
Yea, those are great for most dogs. I use a pinch collar if I have to take her on a leash in public. She's a lovebug in public, she really hams it up. But, it's always better to be safe when the dog is as capable as these are. The pinch collar is steel and can only be removed with the use of opposable thumbs and strength.

She's rarely on a leash at all, however.

I just find it funny that my daughter can walk around with her on a leash and she doesn't pull a bit.

Dad? Let's drag him around the block!
Yeah, it's always amazed me how dogs just know when to be gentle.. pretty remarkable actually. :)
Rick H.

PineyBoy

Post by PineyBoy »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sat Feb 22, 2020 10:17 pm
This is Sunday. She’s a goldendoodle puppy we just got. A welcome new member of the family.

ImageShe's a cutie
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

😍. What a cutie!!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Sad news to report. Bailey, my sister's chihuahua that I mentioned in a previous post, passed away this weekend. She was only 8 years old and despite having developed a minor heart murmur in recent years, her passing was still quite sudden and unexpected. The family gathered for a "funeral service" and she was buried next to the big rock in my parents' back yard with the other family pets. Bailey was a good dog and she will be missed.

Definitely barking at small children up in Chihuahua Heaven :)..

As good a resting place as any, I think..

Take advantage of every opportunity to pat your dog.
Rick H.

TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Sorry to hear that Rick. They really are part of the family! We're currently going through our own issues with ours right now as well :(

About a month ago he began holding up his rear left leg, or not putting much pressure on it if he were to put it down on the floor. He's a wild one, so we thought maybe he strained something. Gave it a few days and it didn't seem to be getting any better. Took him to the vet and had xrays done and they thought it could be a variety of things. Gave him some medicine thinking it was a nerve issue, but that didn't improve anything and only made him very clumsy and out of it.

Last week my wife took him to a specialist at Cornell college around an hour away from us. A couple days prior to going, we began to notice that his head, just in front of his ears looked like it was beginning to collapse into his head a bit, looking a bit deformed. Cornell determined that his leg isn't causing him any pain, and that he may have some kind of lower spinal injury, some kind of autoimmune disease, the possible dreaded "C" word or a couple other things. Very frustrating not to know at this time without even further testing (MRI and spinal tap...$2,500!) Last Thursday they started him on a steroid pill he takes twice a day. He has began to use his hind leg a bit more, which is very encouraging...but his head is getting worse. Back to the vet tomorrow. He's also only 7 or 8 years old and it's breaking our hearts seeing multiple issues going on with him. The most recent Manix 2/Rex 45 will be my last knife purchase for a bit, as taking care of our Tony is certainly more of the priority at the moment and that's where any extra money is going.

This is a picture my wife took of him at the specialist...DID NOT like the vet touching and poking him! Hiding in the corner under my wifes chair!

NCgHNvLp-189966537_23398575814921.jpg
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick