Basque Axe - finally got one! :D

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
emanuel

Basque Axe - finally got one! :D

Post by emanuel »

Just received my order confirmation and pics of my Hachas Jauregi axe, it will be in my hands soon, hopefully tomorrow :D. I wasn't very happy with the original handle shape/length, so at the suggestion of the axe dealer who brought it from Spain for me, I was more than happy for him to make me a new one free of charge, and it came out perfect imo. For anyone interested, the model is the one with a 1.25kg/2.75lb rounded axe bit.

Last edited by emanuel on Mon Mar 09, 2020 7:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
JD Spydo

Re: Basque Axe - finally got one! :D

Post by JD Spydo »

About 5 years ago I started a small collection of axes and hatchets. Up till now it has looked to me like Grandfors Bruks probably makes the best ax out there that is commercially made. But this does look like a really quality built tool. I had never heard of this brand of ax until you posted a pic of it.
From what I've been told the Council Tool Co. is supposed to be the only factory made ax here in the USA. It has amazed me however how many custom knifemakers are making tactical type axes and hatchets and fetching a huge price for them too.

Give us a rundown of the advantages you see in this brand of ax because I'm interested to know and I'm sure a lot of others here are too.
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 9:43 am
They're a very popular design in southern Europe, the curved edge and rounded bit shape gives it extra bite against the hardwoods native to those areas. At its core, it's mostly a feeling axe, it does not excel at splitting wood due to its wide profile, but I'll mostly use it for bushcrafting and splitting wood super effectively isn't my priority.
The weight I've chosen is a nice middle ground between having enough inertia to get a good bite, but not too heavy so that the hits are too slow or requiring Popeye forearms for one hand use lol. I've been eyeing this maker's axes for a few years now, the finishing is superior to Grandfors and its hand forged with a laminated core, which for me it increases its value compared to a more refined, but mass produced axe. I had a chance to use one a few years back and I fell in love with how well it bites into wood and how it feels in hand. I'll run it through its paces once I'll be going outdoors with it and I'll give a more personal opinion after.

Here's a video of the maker forging them https://youtu.be/KHgCqtxjYz0?t=731
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Nice. Now I’m curious.
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

It is most interesting how axes and hatchets as well as tactical hawks have gained so much popularity in the past few years. Even over at Bladeforums I see much more talk about them on that sub-forum they have on the subject at least 5 fold as to what it was about 4 years ago.

Before all of the knife enthusiasts really got to comparing all the different blade steels there probably wasn't one in ten ax collectors that knew anything about the steel they use for ax bits.

I've heard that S-7 tool steel is a very popular steel that they like to use but I'm sure there are a lot more steel selections than that.
emanuel

Post by emanuel »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:12 pm
I believe its because the "prybar chopper knife" craze slowly died off in the past 5 years and people realized again the superiority of axes in regard to pure wood cutting power and that the variety in their sizes, shape and function is just as big as knives.

Regarding steel, I think S7 is an overkill since axes are regularly thicker than knives so toughness is required but only up to a point. Also, does S7 get hard enough? For example the core of this basque axe is 1045 I believe, heat treated to 56-58hrc. Again, I'll quote the maker with a video that I'm sure you'll find interesting too regarding his take on heat treatment: https://youtu.be/Q5i0uSjh6Bk?t=962
vivi

Post by vivi »

emanuel wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 3:56 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:12 pm
I believe its because the "prybar chopper knife" craze slowly died off in the past 5 years and people realized again the superiority of axes in regard to pure wood cutting power and that the variety in their sizes, shape and function is just as big as knives.

Regarding steel, I think S7 is an overkill since axes are regularly thicker than knives so toughness is required but only up to a point. Also, does S7 get hard enough? For example the core of this basque axe is 1045 I believe, heat treated to 56-58hrc. Again, I'll quote the maker with a video that I'm sure you'll find interesting too regarding his take on heat treatment: https://youtu.be/Q5i0uSjh6Bk?t=962
I have an S7 chopper and the steel works well for that role. Its held up to a decade of rough chopping and batoning.
:unicorn