New Service From the USPS

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
The Deacon

New Service From the USPS

Post by The Deacon »

Over the years I've read many posts where folks complained about the inconvenience of packages that need to be signed for, so I thought I'd pass along something I saw this morning on the US Postal Service website. USPS has just announced a new service for those who use their "Informed Delivery" option. You can now place an eSignature on file with them, sign electronically for signature required items, and instruct them where to leave the package. Personally, I'm not sure this is a good idea, signature required packages are generally that way because they're expensive. However, folks with a secure location where packages can be left may appreciate this option.

For those of us who are US residents and don't already use it, Informed Delivery is a free service that sends you an email every morning letting you know when letter size mail and packages will be delivered that day. For whatever reason, larger envelopes, magazines, and catalogs don't show up on it, so you still need to check your mailbox every day, but it's still very useful, in my opinion.
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
JD Spydo

Re: New Service From the USPS

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I hope that changes things for the better for the USPS. Here in the KC area we've lost about 2/3rds of our Post Offices in the metro area in the past 7 years or so. We actually have a pretty decent Postal facility here in Blue Springs, MO where I'm living. But I talk to friends of mine all over the metro KC area and they tell me that many of the Post Offices are staffed with incredibly stupid and outright rude help.

UPS and Fed Ex both do a bumper business here in this area and truthfully I would like to see the US Post Office make a comeback. I still use Postal Money Orders for all my internet business and they are good as gold.

I really have no gripes with UPS or Fed Ex either for that matter but I would rather use the Post Office when I can.
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

Unless they start delivering on private roads all other things are a moot point for me. I have gotten used to picking my packages up at the post office and in this era of package thefts it is probably the safest way.

This service will probably tell me when my package is at the post office and ready for pickup? That could be handy. I still can’t pick them up until after work though. I should have a couple Bark Rivers waiting for me there today. :)
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
SG89

Post by SG89 »

Thanks for the heads up. I love Informed Delivery. This electronic signature option is great for people that are at work whenever the post office is open and can't get there before it closes to sign for it.
Spydergirl88
3 Nats, 1 Chap, 1 Sham, 1 Urb
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

I know FedEx does something similar. I had something big and expensive being delivered and it required a signature. I couldn't be there when it was scheduled to be delivered. So I was able to leave a signature on file and got it delivered. They sent me a text that it was there. I checked the Wyze cam I have on my front door and came home from work and brought it inside.
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Signed up mid May this year. Very handy. If I have a package coming and did not know the tracking number, it shows it to you the day before it arrives.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Speaking of mail, UPS ( not usps ) will let you track your shipment on a map. It's pretty cool.

As for USPS, I've had informed delivery for years, and I love it
The new feature Paul speaks of is really cool too.
I get so spoiled using USPS priority or either ordering from Amazon, the packages either get to where they're going in 2 days or are delivered to me in 2 days.
I get so frustrated when ordering from Sierra Trading Post or the like and not only do they charge more for shipping than what USPS priority would cost, but they use the slowest service in the world, and that's FedEx Smartpost......
I actually called Sierra after waiting 11 days for a coat to arrive, although I knew the coat would be to me in a couple more days, I just wanted to see what Sierra would say when I told them that literally anything I order anymore gets to me within 3 days, and to ask why they still use FedEx Smartpost- while even charging more than what priority would cost, I asked them why not just use usps priority? Lol, I should've known better, that poor old salesperson could've cared less about my suggestion or my frustration with the order.