New Madrid Seismic Zone?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
User avatar
Ankerson
Member
Posts: 5235
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: New Madrid Seismic Zone?

Postby Ankerson » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:41 pm

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:23 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:23 am
The Mastiff wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:02 am
Yep. All they can do is watch the seismometers to see if they can detect movement of magma heading up. It's pretty new stuff so it's possible they might not see what they think they are seeing and learn something too late.

There are other supervolcanos. IIRC, mono lake in CA has one ? Naples in Italy has Phlegraean Fields caldera.https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phlegraean_Fields There are more and they all pose some danger.

I found in my readings that there have been substantial eruptions in Yellowstone that were not the whole supervolcano thing that ate a whole mountain range. I'm not sure how often they happen and at what point they themselves can trigger a full scale event. Supposedly one happened in or next to Yellowstone lake but that sort of thing is difficult to research online as everything vulcanism related about Yellowstone is about the big one.

There have even been questions raised about an enemy nation of the US attempting to trigger an eruption with a nuke or even more likely with "rods from god" ( tungsten telephone pole sized weapons dropped from high orbit that will have so much kinetic energy from pure speed they can reach depths of a half mile ) used to unzip the earth causing a tearing and release of magma which would spread to a maximum eruption.

:)

Joe
Joe,

There are like 40 total with something like 14 active I believe.
OK let me see if I got this right? So there are 40 Super-Volcanos on planet Earth? I've was told that there were only 2 or 3 places on the planet similar to the Yellowstone park supervolcano>> or am I operating on bad information?

One thing positive about Yellowstone is that there are vents omitting steam and pressure all over that park. There would have to be pressure beyond belief to make that whole system to erupt I've been told as well?

Also I've heard recently that there are 93 active volcanos in the continent of Antarctica>> but yet there is hardly anything at all said about those.

I'm just saying that all I know about volcanos or seismic zones is what I've been told.

Yellowstone is inside the crater of the Super Volcano.

They said 40 total and like 14 active with only 4 like Yellowstone.

James Y
Member
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Southern CA

Re: New Madrid Seismic Zone?

Postby James Y » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:19 pm

Ankerson wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:42 pm
James Y wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:02 pm
TBH, where I live is not far from the San Andreas fault. My house is the one I grew up in. There is no mortgage to pay. Of course, I suppose I could move somewhere away from here, but unfortunately, bad things can happen anywhere, whether earthquakes, fires, floods, tornados, hurricanes, landslides, etc. Or crime. Even if the location is considered low-risk in that sense. As far as the San Andreas fault, it’s a part of the Ring of Fire, and literally billions of people are at risk from that on both sides of the Pacific.

A good friend of mine and his family moved north to Placerville more than 20 years ago. It’s beautiful up there, but there is a huge fire risk. I’m sure they weren’t even thinking about that when they moved up there. But I would feel awful if something like that happened to them/their home.

Jim

Jim,

The chances of anything massive happening in our lifetimes is not all that great.

People have to remember that humans lifespan is VERY short, not even a blip compared to the 4.5 Billion years the Earth has been here.

Take even the last Super Volcano eruption that was 75,000 years ago or so.

That was a VERY long time ago, there wasn't very many humans on the planet at that time for sure.

Watched a documentary on the Yellowstone Super Volcano and they just don't know as in they have no clue if it will explode in our lifetime or not.

The really scary thing is they have no idea how to predict if it was going to blow up. THEY HAVE NO CLUE.... :eek:

They do know however know what will happen when it does blow up again.


Jim
Jim,

I recall when I was around 12 or 13, hearing that the coast of southern CA was going to be destroyed and sink into the ocean. IIRC, it was supposed to happen sometime in 1982, when all the planets were supposed to align, and that would trigger the earthquake that would do it. Well, that was in the mid-1970s, I’m 56 years old now and it hasn’t happened yet. But back then I was a little worried, and was planning on being well away from the coast by 1982. Then as I got older I had other things on my mind and sort of forgot about it.

There’s a million things I could live in fear of, but I’ve decided it’s more likely that when my time comes (like the vast majority of people), it won’t be some wide-ranging, dramatic event. Anything can happen at any time. OTOH, it could not happen for centuries, and I’d have wasted my life being afraid of something that never came in my lifetime.

Jim

User avatar
Ankerson
Member
Posts: 5235
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: New Madrid Seismic Zone?

Postby Ankerson » Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:43 pm

James Y wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 8:19 pm
Ankerson wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:42 pm
James Y wrote:
Fri Dec 06, 2019 8:02 pm
TBH, where I live is not far from the San Andreas fault. My house is the one I grew up in. There is no mortgage to pay. Of course, I suppose I could move somewhere away from here, but unfortunately, bad things can happen anywhere, whether earthquakes, fires, floods, tornados, hurricanes, landslides, etc. Or crime. Even if the location is considered low-risk in that sense. As far as the San Andreas fault, it’s a part of the Ring of Fire, and literally billions of people are at risk from that on both sides of the Pacific.

A good friend of mine and his family moved north to Placerville more than 20 years ago. It’s beautiful up there, but there is a huge fire risk. I’m sure they weren’t even thinking about that when they moved up there. But I would feel awful if something like that happened to them/their home.

Jim

Jim,

The chances of anything massive happening in our lifetimes is not all that great.

People have to remember that humans lifespan is VERY short, not even a blip compared to the 4.5 Billion years the Earth has been here.

Take even the last Super Volcano eruption that was 75,000 years ago or so.

That was a VERY long time ago, there wasn't very many humans on the planet at that time for sure.

Watched a documentary on the Yellowstone Super Volcano and they just don't know as in they have no clue if it will explode in our lifetime or not.

The really scary thing is they have no idea how to predict if it was going to blow up. THEY HAVE NO CLUE.... :eek:

They do know however know what will happen when it does blow up again.


Jim
Jim,

I recall when I was around 12 or 13, hearing that the coast of southern CA was going to be destroyed and sink into the ocean. IIRC, it was supposed to happen sometime in 1982, when all the planets were supposed to align, and that would trigger the earthquake that would do it. Well, that was in the mid-1970s, I’m 56 years old now and it hasn’t happened yet. But back then I was a little worried, and was planning on being well away from the coast by 1982. Then as I got older I had other things on my mind and sort of forgot about it.

There’s a million things I could live in fear of, but I’ve decided it’s more likely that when my time comes (like the vast majority of people), it won’t be some wide-ranging, dramatic event. Anything can happen at any time. OTOH, it could not happen for centuries, and I’d have wasted my life being afraid of something that never came in my lifetime.

Jim


Jim,

I remember that sliding into the ocean thing too. LOL

It will happen some day, who knows when that will be.

The problem with some things are that they are so bad and when they do happen it will be devastating while some others are minor in comparison.

Not something that I worry about, but I wouldn't even think about moving to CA nor anywhere near Yellowstone, just saying.


Jim

User avatar
The Mastiff
Member
Posts: 5214
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:53 am
Location: raleigh nc

Re: New Madrid Seismic Zone?

Postby The Mastiff » Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:19 pm

Science has changed a lot in our lifetime Jim(s). Back then in our childhoods the reason for the extinction of the dinosaurs was not known. I used to love reading about them as a kid and read and re read everything in our library several times over. The theory that had the most traction then was volcanic activity like the Deccan or Siberian traps caused climate change that killed them. People scoffed at the idea that an asteroid could wipe them out in a day or two ( depending on location)

Later they thought the asteroid impact caused a tsunami that went up to Canada from the Gulf of Mexico. Now they understand the waves they are seeing evidence of on the other side of the continent were caused by the massive ( 10 or 11) earthquakes from the impact causing tsunami like seiches sloshing back and forth in bodies of water. They understand those effects from studying the effects of the great Alaskan quake which caused seiches in most of the lower 48 lakes despite being thousands of miles away from the earthquake itself.It took a while to put that stuff together and then go through the acceptance process.

I can't help but laugh at the notion that science has everything figured out. The things they will be teaching our great grand kids will have them laughing at our science of 2019.

User avatar
Ankerson
Member
Posts: 5235
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: New Madrid Seismic Zone?

Postby Ankerson » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:04 pm

The Mastiff wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:19 pm
Science has changed a lot in our lifetime Jim(s). Back then in our childhoods the reason for the extinction of the dinosaurs was not known. I used to love reading about them as a kid and read and re read everything in our library several times over. The theory that had the most traction then was volcanic activity like the Deccan or Siberian traps caused climate change that killed them. People scoffed at the idea that an asteroid could wipe them out in a day or two ( depending on location)

Later they thought the asteroid impact caused a tsunami that went up to Canada from the Gulf of Mexico. Now they understand the waves they are seeing evidence of on the other side of the continent were caused by the massive ( 10 or 11) earthquakes from the impact causing tsunami like seiches sloshing back and forth in bodies of water. They understand those effects from studying the effects of the great Alaskan quake which caused seiches in most of the lower 48 lakes despite being thousands of miles away from the earthquake itself.It took a while to put that stuff together and then go through the acceptance process.

I can't help but laugh at the notion that science has everything figured out. The things they will be teaching our great grand kids will have them laughing at our science of 2019.


Yeah, they really didn't know about the overall large effects that a large asteroid could have Globally.

Now they do however, same with a Super Volcano blowing up.

James Y
Member
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Southern CA

Re: New Madrid Seismic Zone?

Postby James Y » Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:44 am

The Mastiff wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:19 pm
Science has changed a lot in our lifetime Jim(s). Back then in our childhoods the reason for the extinction of the dinosaurs was not known. I used to love reading about them as a kid and read and re read everything in our library several times over. The theory that had the most traction then was volcanic activity like the Deccan or Siberian traps caused climate change that killed them. People scoffed at the idea that an asteroid could wipe them out in a day or two ( depending on location)

Later they thought the asteroid impact caused a tsunami that went up to Canada from the Gulf of Mexico. Now they understand the waves they are seeing evidence of on the other side of the continent were caused by the massive ( 10 or 11) earthquakes from the impact causing tsunami like seiches sloshing back and forth in bodies of water. They understand those effects from studying the effects of the great Alaskan quake which caused seiches in most of the lower 48 lakes despite being thousands of miles away from the earthquake itself.It took a while to put that stuff together and then go through the acceptance process.

I can't help but laugh at the notion that science has everything figured out. The things they will be teaching our great grand kids will have them laughing at our science of 2019.
I also loved dinosaurs when I was little; I knew all the names of them as well as many of the prehistoric mammals, and would have my mom check out the same dinosaur books from the library for me over and over again. I also loved the original King Kong movie for the dinosaurs.

I was in awe of the dinosaur scenes in the movie Fantasia, and this was what I had thought killed off the dinosaurs as a kid. And just to ensure anyone this clip isn’t completely OT, this clip shows a depiction of cataclysmic earth changes from 5:38:

https://youtu.be/_duoJ1zH0RM

Jim

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 17527
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: New Madrid Seismic Zone?

Postby JD Spydo » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:15 pm

James Y wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:44 am
The Mastiff wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:19 pm
Science has changed a lot in our lifetime Jim(s). Back then in our childhoods the reason for the extinction of the dinosaurs was not known. I used to love reading about them as a kid and read and re read everything in our library several times over. The theory that had the most traction then was volcanic activity like the Deccan or Siberian traps caused climate change that killed them. People scoffed at the idea that an asteroid could wipe them out in a day or two ( depending on location)

Later they thought the asteroid impact caused a tsunami that went up to Canada from the Gulf of Mexico. Now they understand the waves they are seeing evidence of on the other side of the continent were caused by the massive ( 10 or 11) earthquakes from the impact causing tsunami like seiches sloshing back and forth in bodies of water. They understand those effects from studying the effects of the great Alaskan quake which caused seiches in most of the lower 48 lakes despite being thousands of miles away from the earthquake itself.It took a while to put that stuff together and then go through the acceptance process.

I can't help but laugh at the notion that science has everything figured out. The things they will be teaching our great grand kids will have them laughing at our science of 2019.
I also loved dinosaurs when I was little; I knew all the names of them as well as many of the prehistoric mammals, and would have my mom check out the same dinosaur books from the library for me over and over again. I also loved the original King Kong movie for the dinosaurs.

I was in awe of the dinosaur scenes in the movie Fantasia, and this was what I had thought killed off the dinosaurs as a kid. And just to ensure anyone this clip isn’t completely OT, this clip shows a depiction of cataclysmic earth changes from 5:38:
I've also been fascinated with dinosaurs and big reptiles in general. We've had a lot of the bones of the really big dinosaurs found here on the North American Shelf. Particularly in the states of Montana, Utah and Colorado there have been some great bone discoveries.

Several of my friends think that I'm wacko because I firmly believe that a Meglodon type creature exists in our oceans now in this time. That Whale that got it's tail completely bit or sheared off that was beached in Hawaii and that Boat that was destroyed in South Africa both to me prove that there is a creature that big in our oceans that probably lives in the depths. How else could a full sized whale had it entire tail bit or sheared off if it wasn't something like that doing it?

I think that there are other creatures that have survived the ages as well >> kind of like that deep water fish they found off the coast of South Africa. They called it the "Living Fossil".

User avatar
Ankerson
Member
Posts: 5235
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: New Madrid Seismic Zone?

Postby Ankerson » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:24 pm

A Volcano just erupted on White Island in NZ.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/new-zealan ... 019-12-09/

James Y
Member
Posts: 1301
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2004 10:33 am
Location: Southern CA

Re: New Madrid Seismic Zone?

Postby James Y » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:43 pm

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:15 pm
James Y wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 10:44 am
The Mastiff wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 9:19 pm
Science has changed a lot in our lifetime Jim(s). Back then in our childhoods the reason for the extinction of the dinosaurs was not known. I used to love reading about them as a kid and read and re read everything in our library several times over. The theory that had the most traction then was volcanic activity like the Deccan or Siberian traps caused climate change that killed them. People scoffed at the idea that an asteroid could wipe them out in a day or two ( depending on location)

Later they thought the asteroid impact caused a tsunami that went up to Canada from the Gulf of Mexico. Now they understand the waves they are seeing evidence of on the other side of the continent were caused by the massive ( 10 or 11) earthquakes from the impact causing tsunami like seiches sloshing back and forth in bodies of water. They understand those effects from studying the effects of the great Alaskan quake which caused seiches in most of the lower 48 lakes despite being thousands of miles away from the earthquake itself.It took a while to put that stuff together and then go through the acceptance process.

I can't help but laugh at the notion that science has everything figured out. The things they will be teaching our great grand kids will have them laughing at our science of 2019.
I also loved dinosaurs when I was little; I knew all the names of them as well as many of the prehistoric mammals, and would have my mom check out the same dinosaur books from the library for me over and over again. I also loved the original King Kong movie for the dinosaurs.

I was in awe of the dinosaur scenes in the movie Fantasia, and this was what I had thought killed off the dinosaurs as a kid. And just to ensure anyone this clip isn’t completely OT, this clip shows a depiction of cataclysmic earth changes from 5:38:
I've also been fascinated with dinosaurs and big reptiles in general. We've had a lot of the bones of the really big dinosaurs found here on the North American Shelf. Particularly in the states of Montana, Utah and Colorado there have been some great bone discoveries.

Several of my friends think that I'm wacko because I firmly believe that a Meglodon type creature exists in our oceans now in this time. That Whale that got it's tail completely bit or sheared off that was beached in Hawaii and that Boat that was destroyed in South Africa both to me prove that there is a creature that big in our oceans that probably lives in the depths. How else could a full sized whale had it entire tail bit or sheared off if it wasn't something like that doing it?

I think that there are other creatures that have survived the ages as well >> kind of like that deep water fish they found off the coast of South Africa. They called it the "Living Fossil".
Joe, that fish is called a coelacanth, and yes, it was once thought extinct, until one was caught in 1938 (IIRC). But since then they have been filmed alive and swimming in the wild, and have been upgraded from extinct to rare.

It would not surprise me at all if there were megalodon or megalodon-type sharks in places in the vast oceans. Most scientists considered the giant squid a myth until about 6 years ago, when a live one was caught on video for the first time.

Jim

User avatar
The Mastiff
Member
Posts: 5214
Joined: Sun Jun 04, 2006 2:53 am
Location: raleigh nc

Re: New Madrid Seismic Zone?

Postby The Mastiff » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:37 pm

I'm in agreement with you guys. There are probably a lot of unknown animals in the ocean we aren't aware of including some we probably have written off as legends. It's the same with findings that don't fit the currently accepted version of events reference older civilizations and time lines. Once the narrative is set it's difficult to change and there will be pushback from experts.

User avatar
Ankerson
Member
Posts: 5235
Joined: Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:23 pm
Location: Raleigh, NC

Re: New Madrid Seismic Zone?

Postby Ankerson » Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:52 pm

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:37 pm
I'm in agreement with you guys. There are probably a lot of unknown animals in the ocean we aren't aware of including some we probably have written off as legends. It's the same with findings that don't fit the currently accepted version of events reference older civilizations and time lines. Once the narrative is set it's difficult to change and there will be pushback from experts.

The experts do say there is a possibility of a lot of marine life that hasn't been found yet.

A lot of it is we don't have the technology to go deep enough for a lot of it.

That and the Oceans are so huge we may never know everything.

JD Spydo
Member
Posts: 17527
Joined: Tue Sep 28, 2004 7:53 pm
Location: Blue Springs, Missouri

Re: New Madrid Seismic Zone?

Postby JD Spydo » Wed Dec 11, 2019 7:21 am

The Mastiff wrote:
Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:37 pm
I'm in agreement with you guys. There are probably a lot of unknown animals in the ocean we aren't aware of including some we probably have written off as legends. It's the same with findings that don't fit the currently accepted version of events reference older civilizations and time lines. Once the narrative is set it's difficult to change and there will be pushback from experts.
I used to be really skeptical about any unknown animals ( especially marine creatures) until about 4 years ago when a diver friend of mine showed me a picture of a whale that was beached in Hawaii that had it's entire tail cut or sheared off. My friend told me the tail was bitten off and they had teeth grooves to prove it. The bite was the width that would have taken between 4 to 5 Great White Sharks put together to have done that.

A year later I seen that same picture shown on Discovery Channel Shark Week on a show where one scientist was trying to prove the existence of the Megladon Shark that he believes are alive right now. It's a consensus that most scientist claim the Megadon Shark went extinct thousands of years ago. I don't see what else it could have been that bit that whale's tail completely off with one big bite. Also Jim makes mention of the Giant Squid which they now have live footage of from a submersible. They were considered a myth as recent as 20 years ago.

The reason I'm going down the rabbit hole of marine animals is I believe Seismic activity causes them to be seen and to be active more often. Or at least it seems to be that way. There is most definitely a huge amount of seismic activity taking place on the entire planet at this time. And I believe that there are lot more places than the New Madrid Fault Zone that are going to be effected. But that is going to be a really bad one I'm sure. We are even having the land animals here in that part of Missouri acting really weird from what I'm told.


Return to “Off-Topic”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests