City Animals

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
kiwisailor

City Animals

Post by kiwisailor »

I've just been watching BBC's "Planet Earth 2"

Disc 2 episode 6, has a fascinating video using Thermal camera, of pigs and their Predators in a City of India.
I won't spoil the surprise, it is awesome..
Well worth a look if you get a chance.

I don't think I'll be wandering around Mumbai at night :eek:
No Bloke, I wasn't referring to the Thuggees..
Ankerson

Re: City Animals

Post by Ankerson »

kiwisailor wrote:
Sat Nov 30, 2019 8:43 pm
I've just been watching BBC's "Planet Earth 2"

Disc 2 episode 6, has a fascinating video using Thermal camera, of pigs and their Predators in a City of India.
I won't spoil the surprise, it is awesome..
Well worth a look if you get a chance.

I don't think I'll be wandering around Mumbai at night :eek:
No Bloke, I wasn't referring to the Thuggees..

Or in the daytime, doesn't matter too much.

Still remember that Tiger that killed hundreds of people in India.

Same with the Lions over in Africa, people traveling the same road and the Lions picking them off.
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

It was the (spoiler alert) Leopard standing so close to the Couple walking blissfully past mere feet away, in a big city that shocked me.
It is one thing to consider large Predators in the Wilderness, but it just seemed the Leopard had adapted to the point it is normall environment.
When thought about logically, the number of free roaming dogs would be a great food source as well as the pigs.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

kiwisailor wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:18 am
It was the (spoiler alert) Leopard standing so close to the Couple walking blissfully past mere feet away, in a big city that shocked me.
It is one thing to consider large Predators in the Wilderness, but it just seemed the Leopard had adapted to the point it is normall environment.
When thought about logically, the number of free roaming dogs would be a great food source as well as the pigs.

They will come in were the food is.

If it's easier to get, they aren't stupid, if they don't have to work as hard for their food they will take it.

People are their own worst enemy really in the end, they create their own problems. It's ignorance really, they need to learn what NOT to do and secure things better.

If was nothing for them to eat and or if it was hard for them to find food they wouldn't be there.
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

If anyone is interested in Carnivores and their proclivities, (nasty habits) any of Peter Captstisk's or Corbett's s books will keep you enthralled.
Quite humbling when one is feeling on top of the food chain....
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Interesting topic: About two years ago I posted a thread in this "OFF TOPIC" section. It was about an encounter I had in a forested area of Kansas City, MO USA Earth. I believe I titled it about Wild Dogs in major cities. I was in a section of woods/timber within the City checking some things out. I got to a bend on the path I was on and ran into a really vicious looking wild dog. Kansas City has had problems with wildlife and especially dogs that have gone feral. Some of the bigger wild dogs have attacked grown adults and mauled a few children in this area.

When I ran into this really nasty wild dog it immediately started growling and snarling at me. It started to come at me and I had no weapon on me except two Spyderco folders that I carry daily. I went toward the wild dog and yelled at it in an aggressive manner and I believe I bluffed him out.
But this wild dog had a lot of his hide really messed up and it looked as though he hadn't eaten in a while. I don't believe he would have backed down from a kid or a really elderly person.

Yes there are dangerous animals in cities>> and even in big cities all over the planet. We humans have encroached on their territory and I believe they are attempting to take it back. Be extremely careful when walking in any park or wilderness area>> or even any secluded areas.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:37 pm
Interesting topic: About two years ago I posted a thread in this "OFF TOPIC" section. It was about an encounter I had in a forested area of Kansas City, MO USA Earth. I believe I titled it about Wild Dogs in major cities. I was in a section of woods/timber within the City checking some things out. I got to a bend on the path I was on and ran into a really vicious looking wild dog. Kansas City has had problems with wildlife and especially dogs that have gone feral. Some of the bigger wild dogs have attacked grown adults and mauled a few children in this area.

When I ran into this really nasty wild dog it immediately started growling and snarling at me. It started to come at me and I had no weapon on me except two Spyderco folders that I carry daily. I went toward the wild dog and yelled at it in an aggressive manner and I believe I bluffed him out.
But this wild dog had a lot of his hide really messed up and it looked as though he hadn't eaten in a while. I don't believe he would have backed down from a kid or a really elderly person.

Yes there are dangerous animals in cities>> and even in big cities all over the planet. We humans have encroached on their territory and I believe they are attempting to take it back. Be extremely careful when walking in any park or wilderness area>> or even any secluded areas.

Anyone who really thinks we are at the top of the food chain needs to walk around outside in the Kenya area awhile. ;)

Or

Parts of India.

Or

Or take a swim out in the middle of the Ocean in certain places.

They will find out very fast that we are really NOT...

People will say take a gun, well that doesn't always help either as some people have found out the hard way over the centuries.

Kinda like those poachers that walked right into the middle of a Lion Pride not all that long ago... ;)

Wasn't too much left of them...

Remember or if people didn't know those Safaris that the rich people go on hunting. They aren't just one hunter and a guide, it's normally more than that and they are ALL heavily armed and very experienced. They know the area and the wildlife movements VERY well.

Over there a .300 Magnum is the small gun used to taking the smaller game. MOST of them are carrying Double Rifles in .375 H&H or better.

Even with all of that it still can be very dangerous if something unexpected happens and or if they are being hunted.
Last edited by Ankerson on Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I’ve got news...Pumas are coming into towns in America. They’ve attacked other animals, and have attacked people on bike paths. They’ve lost their fear of us. Now we’re just meat.

I remember that liberals used to claim (in spite of settlers tales to the contrary) that mountain lions had never attacked a human because we are not their natural prey.

Hello! It’s a predator.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 11:18 pm
I’ve got news...Pumas are coming into towns in America. They’ve attacked other animals, and have attacked people on bike paths. They’ve lost their fear of us. Now we’re just meat.

I remember that liberals used to claim (in spite of settlers tales to the contrary) that mountain lions had never attacked a human because we are not their natural prey.

Hello! It’s a predator.
We have had mountain lions make a huge comeback here in Missouri the past 20 years or so. When I worked in that wetland project in North Missouri I would find their tracks all over the place. I never went there without a big caliber gun of some sort. And I've heard that mountain lions attack people from behind. And some of those tracks I found were pretty big too. We found a Charolais Calf about half eaten one morning and there were two sets of tracks around the carcass. There have been several farmers from up there tell us of mountain lions attacking the calves>> which leads me to believe that they might be hunting prey in pairs. If that's the case then no person stands a chance if attacked from behind.

Getting back to that wild dog encounter I had I talked to another buddy of mine earlier this evening and he told me that animal control all over the Kansas City metroplex is working hard to capture and put down these wild dogs. He said there are big packs of them along the Missouri River even through the urban Kansas City area. They've warned people fishing along the Missouri River to be careful of them. You get a pack of wild dogs the size of a German Shepherd you got a serious problem. There are so many people dumping their pets and other dogs running away from abusive homes has the makings of a major disaster.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:42 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Hello! It’s a predator.
We have had mountain lions make a huge comeback here in Missouri the past 20 years or so. When I worked in that wetland project in North Missouri I would find their tracks all over the place. I never went there without a big caliber gun of some sort. And I've heard that mountain lions attack people from behind. And some of those tracks I found were pretty big too. We found a Charolais Calf about half eaten one morning and there were two sets of tracks around the carcass. There have been several farmers from up there tell us of mountain lions attacking the calves>> which leads me to believe that they might be hunting prey in pairs. If that's the case then no person stands a chance if attacked from behind.

Getting back to that wild dog encounter I had I talked to another buddy of mine earlier this evening and he told me that animal control all over the Kansas City metroplex is working hard to capture and put down these wild dogs. He said there are big packs of them along the Missouri River even through the urban Kansas City area. They've warned people fishing along the Missouri River to be careful of them. You get a pack of wild dogs the size of a German Shepherd you got a serious problem. There are so many people dumping their pets and other dogs running away from abusive homes has the makings of a major disaster.
People’s pet dogs are far far more dangerous than wild dogs as they have no fear of Man. No do they need the food. They kill for the fun of it. People let their dogs out to relieve themselves, or just let them run loose, and they get into packs with their buddies and that’s when the trouble starts. They kill cows, calves being born ripped out, attack people. I’ve had to put them down attacking me, my cattle, other people, ducks, etc. The irresponsible owners need to be locked up. They are just as guilty as the dogs.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:08 am
JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 1:42 am
Doc Dan wrote:

Hello! It’s a predator.

People’s pet dogs are far far more dangerous than wild dogs as they have no fear of Man. No do they need the food. They kill for the fun of it. People let their dogs out to relieve themselves, or just let them run loose, and they get into packs with their buddies and that’s when the trouble starts. They kill cows, calves being born ripped out, attack people. I’ve had to put them down attacking me, my cattle, other people, ducks, etc. The irresponsible owners need to be locked up. They are just as guilty as the dogs.
I"m sorry to hear all of that Doc. Because here in this town in the State of Missouri where I live we have the strictest leash laws of anywhere in the state. I've heard of people who have had to pay anywhere from $300 To $500 to get their dog or cat back if it gets caught running loose by Animal Control officers. Also here where I live Animal Control officers have the authority to put down ( kill) any dog or other animal that they deem to be a potential danger to the public.
I had an incident about a year ago when someone's pit bull puppy broke off the leash and came after me. It didn't bite me but was just annoying. The owners came quickly and begged me not to call the Police or Animal Control as they knew it would cost them a small fortune in fees to get their dog back. Also they could have been fined all the way up to $1000 in this town. It's rare here when we have any dog problems at all. I guess that's not the case everywhere else. Sorry you have those kinds of problems. If I were you I would contact the city council or the mayor's office.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

We have very strict leash laws here too in Raleigh, thankfully. :)
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Doc, I’m hearing you!

Here in rural Australia dogs are shot on sight. No questions asked. It does much matter if it’s your neighbor’s daughter’s pet or a feral. If it’s amongst stock it’s shot. :rolleyes:

On a lighter note we have foxes running around everywhere here and I’m a pretty keen “Fox Whistler”.

We live about 6km from Sydney’s central business district and I whistle them up for fun. I whistled up six one evening at Randwick Racecourse about a km from home. Another time on a Friday afternoon I whistled up about a dozen and a feral dog at the local shooting range about 10km from home.

I wrote an article for one of our Shooting magazines a while back you may find interesting. It’s 100% true and I had to exaggerate the distances to make it more believable.

Here’s a link should you like to read it but the pictures aren’t mine and don’t really sinc but I only had an old IPhone and they weren’t of high enough quality for publication.

http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/news/urban-foxes
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Well, that was a letdown, Alex. I was looking for all sorts of hilarious animated GIFs, and all I got were great pics of cute foxes.

Nice article...
-Marc (pocketing an S110V Native5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

wrdwrght wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:17 pm
Well, that was a letdown, Alex. I was looking for all sorts of hilarious animated GIFs, and all I got were great pics of cute foxes.

Nice article...
Ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha, ah, hahaha! :)

Thanks Marc! It’s good fun and beloved wife even came along once and I was fortunate enough to whistle up a pair together for her.

I haven’t whistled in a while but our eldest grandchild is 6yrs old now and old enough to sit still for a bit. She loves animals and I start four weeks annual leave on the 13th so I’m looking forward to taking her on an afternoon whistle or two. :cool:
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:07 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Doc, I’m hearing you!

Here in rural Australia dogs are shot on sight. No questions asked. It does much matter if it’s your neighbor’s daughter’s pet or a feral. If it’s amongst stock it’s shot. :rolleyes:

On a lighter note we have foxes running around everywhere here and I’m a pretty keen “Fox Whistler”.

We live about 6km from Sydney’s central business district and I whistle them up for fun. I whistled up six one evening at Randwick Racecourse about a km from home. Another time on a Friday afternoon I whistled up about a dozen and a feral dog at the local shooting range about 10km from home.

I wrote an article for one of our Shooting magazines a while back you may find interesting. It’s 100% true and I had to exaggerate the distances to make it more believable.

Here’s a link should you like to read it but the pictures aren’t mine and don’t really sinc but I only had an old IPhone and they weren’t of high enough quality for publication.

http://www.sportingshooter.com.au/news/urban-foxes
If I ever get to go fox hunting again I’m taking you with me!

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I have been raising chickens for years. I hate foxes! Bloodthirsty creatures.

Back to city animals, when I lived in the suburbs of Denver I had foxes and coyotes running up and down my street every day. The coyotes had very little fear of people. Luckily they are smaller out there. They are twice as big around here!
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Urban foxes are at worst only a very minor nuisance, here. Few people have chickens locally. Worse are the flippin’ Herring Gulls - noisy, dirty, & aggressive.

+1 on ill treated dogs. Years ago, working for a national animal charity, we had to build the kennel runs (for dogs confiscated from dog fighting, kept as prosecution evidence) out of reinforced concrete. We had had cases of dogs breaking through brick and block walls overnight and killing every other dog in the building.
BLUETYPEII

Post by BLUETYPEII »

Done
Last edited by BLUETYPEII on Sat Feb 22, 2020 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
40 Spyderco knives in 11 different steels,
1 Byrd and 30 “others”
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

BLUETYPEII wrote:
Thu Dec 05, 2019 1:08 pm
I live in Mesa AZ. I’m not in a rural area but there are many open fields like the one directly across the street from me. We used to have a problem with a lot of stray cats around the apartment complex I live in but, there seems to be a pack of coyotes living in the field across the street. You can hear the coyotes howl when a fire engine or police car goes by with sirens on. I only see a stray cat on occasion here now, I imagine the coyotes are taking care of the problem. I was returning home late about 3 o’clock in the morning and saw one running right out the main entrance.

I heard somewhere that coyotes are extremely capable of adapting to new environments. I would agree.
Yep Coyotes just love to have "cats" in their diet. My brother and a friend of his were serious bench rest target shooters and varmit hunters back in the day. They told me that they would take a house cat and put him on a leash and tie him up to a tree about 200 to 300 yards away from where they were. They told me if there was a coyote in the area that they would show up within a half an hour or even less sometimes. The cats made excellent bait apparently. They would dispatch the coyote way before it had a chance to harm the cat fortunately.

They told me that coyotes love just about any kind of house pet including small dogs. But I do remember them telling me that they really like to eat house cats. I've heard of rare incidents of a pack of coyotes actually attacking a grown man. Again it is a rare thing when it happens but when they are in a pack they would be a real problem and you better be able to get up a tree really fast.