KO work sharp question?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
TheRaven

KO work sharp question?

Post by TheRaven »

Hello,

Anyone use it?

So the instructions say, use the 25 degree setting on pocket knives and 20 degree setting for kitchen knives.

Those angels sound off to me??? I guess if I’m sharpening lower end steels those angles are good? 440a, etc?

What if I’m sharpening tougher/stronger/harder steels? Vg10, 1095, xhp, m4??

Are the aforementioned angles still good because it’s a convex edge? Or should I be changing the angles to ~15 degrees???

Thanks

Keith
Chinook3

Re: KO work sharp question?

Post by Chinook3 »

Hi Raven,
I don’t have the work sharp but those angles sound right on, just use the old sharpie trick and make sure you are hitting the edge. Spyderco’s are roughly around 17 deg per side so use the 20 deg setting and adjust the knife as needed and take all that sharpie of the edge before doing the other side.

Harder and stronger steels? It will work the same however it might wear down your sanding belt sooner.

The works sharp does produce convex edge’s, Spyderco’s I believe are V edges, both good just different.
My response is "Just because you can't see it, doesn't mean it isn't there, it just means you can't see it". Sal G.
toxophilus

Re: KO work sharp question?

Post by toxophilus »

Regardless of what angle you use, either tape up the guards so that steel dust doesn't adhere to them or tape up the sides of your blades; as you draw knives across the guides this sharpener will put lateral scratches on blades. I've seen folks use duct tape to cover the insides of the guards. I know... I've seen me do it (eventually sold it).