victorinox ranger grip

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
ladybug93

victorinox ranger grip

Post by ladybug93 »

does anyone have experience with the victorinox ranger grip line? i’m considering buying one with a blade and saw because my favorite sak model is the camper, but i like the idea of a larger version.

my main question is whether to get the one hand opening version or not. i love the thumb hole on spydies and like the idea of that convenience in a sak, but i’m also worried the extra bit added to the spine will get in the way when using the saw.

so, does the blade hump get in the way when using the saw? i don’t use the saw too often, but i feel it’s a valuable enough tool to have that i don’t buy a sak without one. when i use it, i don’t want to have unnecessary hot spots.

also, i really like the green version, but it’s only available in a combo edge. personally, for an outdoor blade, i prefer a plain edge. does anyone here have experience with vic’s ranger grip serrations outdoors doing bushcraft, hunting, survival tasks?

there’s also a special edition model out right now in orange that is pretty sweet. it doesn’t have serrations and isn’t one hand operational. it also costs more, which i’m guessing is only because it’s a limited edition. i’m not sure i’d pay the extra money for the color of the handle, but it really depends on answers to the questions above.

thanks in advance! :)
keep your knife sharp and your focus sharper.
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Re: victorinox ranger grip

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:08 pm
does anyone have experience with the victorinox ranger grip line? i’m considering buying one with a blade and saw because my favorite sak model is the camper, but i like the idea of a larger version.

my main question is whether to get the one hand opening version or not. i love the thumb hole on spydies and like the idea of that convenience in a sak, but i’m also worried the extra bit added to the spine will get in the way when using the saw.

so, does the blade hump get in the way when using the saw? i don’t use the saw too often, but i feel it’s a valuable enough tool to have that i don’t buy a sak without one. when i use it, i don’t want to have unnecessary hot spots.

also, i really like the green version, but it’s only available in a combo edge. personally, for an outdoor blade, i prefer a plain edge. does anyone here have experience with vic’s ranger grip serrations outdoors doing bushcraft, hunting, survival tasks?

I had a Ranger grip (I think the 78, anyhow it featuered a saw and a one handed "opening hole" blade), but sold it and went with a Trailmaster instead (see pic below, I think in the US it might be called "Trekker" or "Soldier"?)

The Trailmaster, though not smaller by much, feels a lot more compact and offers almost the same edge length in the knife and saw (the Ranger grip has a unnecessarely long Ricasso on the blade, which sacrifices edge length)

Anyway, concerning your questions:

- Both on the one handed Rangergrip and Trailmaster you certainly feel the "hump" under index and middle finger when using the saw, but honestly I can´t tell if that is a pro or a con. Sure in a way the added spine is not the most comfortable thing in the world when gripped on, on the other hand it makes the handle more handfilling. I think I PREFER that grip when using the saw for a shorter period of time, while it might dig into your fingers uncomfortably when using it for longer.

- I I actually like the chisel grind (!) combo edge blade a lot for outdoor tasks!! Does great in whittling wood, and the serrations can do very nice shavings / feathersticks. I would not trade this blade for a plain edge with a conventionyl V grind, though I recall that Vivi stated (in some "serretions-thread") that the serrtations would roll / bend / chip (? can´t recall exactly) rather easily.

Top three going by pocket-time (update March 24):
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

thanks for that response. the serrations on the ranger grip are different from the trekker you posted above. they are more like the spyderedge pattern and they are toward the back of the blade instead of at the tip. i’m not sure which would be better, but i’m still leaning toward no serrations/chisel grind for outdoor work. i think a combo edge makes sense for a more tactical or urban survival knife, but i’d likely rather carry a plier multitool in that scenario instead of a sak.
your comment on the hump is about what i would expect. it’s probably not that big of a deal for most small tasks. for any larger tasks, i’d probably rather have a better tool for the job, or i’ll just be glad to have something i can use for survival instead of being worried about a little discomfort.
i know the trekker is super popular. i’ve wanted to pick one up for a while, but part of that is because i didn’t realize the ranger grips have the toothpick and tweezers. i know that probably seems silly, but i use the sak toothpick all the time and the tweezers are always handy in the woods. i’ve seen. videos about the blade length being deceiving, but i think i prefer the shape anyway and the saw is still longer. it also looks like it would be more comfortable in hand with the bigger handle and rubber grip inserts. do you find the trekker to be more comfortable in use than the ranger grip?
current collection:
C253GBBK, C258GFBL, C101GBBK2, C11GYW, C11FWNB20CV, C101GBN15V2, C101GODFDE2, C60GGY, C149G, C189, C101GBN2, MT35, C211TI, C242CF, C217GSSF, C101BN2, C85G2, C91BBK, C142G, C122GBBK, LBK, LYL3HB, C193, C28YL2, C11ZPGYD, C41YL5, C252G, C130G, PLKIT1
spyderco steels:
CPM 20CV, CPM 15V, CTS 204P, CPM CRUWEAR, CPM S30V, N690Co, M390, CPM MagnaCut, LC200N, CTS XHP, H1, 8Cr13MoV, GIN-1, CTS BD1, VG-10, VG-10/Damascus, 440C
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:21 am
thanks for that response. the serrations on the ranger grip are different from the trekker you posted above. they are more like the spyderedge pattern and they are toward the back of the blade instead of at the tip. i’m not sure which would be better, but i’m still leaning toward no serrations/chisel grind for outdoor work. i think a combo edge makes sense for a more tactical or urban survival knife, but i’d likely rather carry a plier multitool in that scenario instead of a sak.
your comment on the hump is about what i would expect. it’s probably not that big of a deal for most small tasks. for any larger tasks, i’d probably rather have a better tool for the job, or i’ll just be glad to have something i can use for survival instead of being worried about a little discomfort.
i know the trekker is super popular. i’ve wanted to pick one up for a while, but part of that is because i didn’t realize the ranger grips have the toothpick and tweezers. i know that probably seems silly, but i use the sak toothpick all the time and the tweezers are always handy in the woods. i’ve seen. videos about the blade length being deceiving, but i think i prefer the shape anyway and the saw is still longer. it also looks like it would be more comfortable in hand with the bigger handle and rubber grip inserts. do you find the trekker to be more comfortable in use than the ranger grip?
I also really like the tweezers and toothpick, and the Trailmaster, which I own and is essentially the Trekker, DOES actually have those (see the pic in my previous post)! But it seems you can get that version just in Europe (If you want we could of course try to figure out, how I could purchase and send that model over to you on your behalf).
EDIT: I just looked it up on the SAK US homepage: The Trekker ALSO has tweezers and toothpick, it is the exact same model that in Europe is called the "Trailmaster" (the exakt same model without toothpick and tweezers and in OD green is called the "Soldier").

On comfort: I found them both about the same, maybe the Rangergrip is a bit more secure in hand. As said, when using the saw just for small, quick tasks, I think I even like the "hump"of the knifeblades opening hole under index and middle finger, cause the handle gets more handfilling by that.

As far as I know the Rangergrip is also only available in PE or Comboedge, this comboedge being more like 3/4 serrations, 1/4 plain.
- EDC: Endura thin red line ffg combo edge (VG10); Wayne Goddard PE (4V), Endela SE (VG10)
-Mountains/outdoors: Pac.Salt 1 SE (H1), Salt 2 SE (LC200N), and also Wayne Goddard PE (4V)
vivi

Post by vivi »

ladybug93 wrote:

there’s also a special edition model out right now in orange that is pretty sweet. it doesn’t have serrations and isn’t one hand operational. it also costs more, which i’m guessing is only because it’s a limited edition. i’m not sure i’d pay the extra money for the color of the handle, but it really depends on answers to the questions above.

thanks in advance! :)
I have not tried the Ranger Grips but I have the pretty similar One Handed Trekker.

The one handed opening is nice. There is more resistance when opening VS a Spyderco lockback, as the blade still uses a traditional Victorinox backspring in addition to the liner lock. The saw isn't as comfortable to use with the opening hole, but I never use it long enough it's an issue. I have a Bahco Laplander I carry if I think I'll use a saw frequently.

The serrations on mine work well. The edge is ground super thin, and the wood carving performance is astounding. Right up there with an Opinel that's been given a nice edge. My OHT has been perfectly stable during all camping and woodcraft use, though my Serrated Spartan showed a little edge damage right by the tip when I whittled with it.

The serration pattern used on the OHT and Spartan is shallow and cuts different VS a Spyderedge. Very little to no snagging, works well for food prep, whittling, cutting rope etc. Ground even thinner than a PE SAK, so cutting perfirmance is very high.

If I were to buy another Trekker I think I'd go with the two hand version.

While one handed opening is cool, a SAK is never my only knife. I always have a fixed blade or Spyderco folder with me, so if I need to cut something quickly, using those is faster than digging a SAK out of my pack, even with the opening hole.

My OHT has tweezers and toothpick. All of the Trekkers I've seen do too. The german army knife based on the OHT with green scales does not.

Serrated VS plain edge I can go either way with Spydercos or SAKs. Either will cut food, cut rope, and make feathersticks. I do like my fixed blades, Opinels and traditional pocket knives to be PE. Those tend to have thicker, more comfortable handles, so once the fire is made and the food is cooking, it's nice to sit back with a comfy PE and carve stuff.

Bottom line is I think these larger SAKS are great for hikes and camping trips. They'd be enough to get you through most situations, paired with a hatchet, saw or machete as needed. The locking screwdriver is a nice touch, the saw is longer, improved ergonomics, locking blade, PE or SE options, optional one handed opening, and the tweezers come in handy for splinters. I never carry my OHT as an EDC but I love tossing it in my hiking pack.

Unless you really need pliers or a multitool with a built in sharpener (Diamond file on a LM Wave), I don't think these style SAKs can be beat for outdoor companions. For a glove box, tool box or EDC bag I'd choose a Leatherman, but for hiking and camping I like my OHT.

The Farmer was my favorite outdoors SAK before I got a Trekker. Haven't carried mine since. I don't need saws day to day so an alox Soldier or a Tinker makes more sense, and the Trekker does everything better at the campsight than the Farmer.
:unicorn
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

Vivi wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:26 am
ladybug93 wrote:
I have not tried the Ranger Grips but I have the pretty similar One Handed Trekker.

The one handed opening is nice. There is more resistance when opening VS a Spyderco lockback, as the blade still uses a traditional Victorinox backspring in addition to the liner lock. The saw isn't as comfortable to use with the opening hole, but I never use it long enough it's an issue. I have a Bahco Laplander I carry if I think I'll use a saw frequently.

The serrations on mine work well. The edge is ground super thin, and the wood carving performance is astounding. Right up there with an Opinel that's been given a nice edge. My OHT has been perfectly stable during all camping and woodcraft use, though my Serrated Spartan showed a little edge damage right by the tip when I whittled with it.

The serration pattern used on the OHT and Spartan is shallow and cuts different VS a Spyderedge. Very little to no snagging, works well for food prep, whittling, cutting rope etc. Ground even thinner than a PE SAK, so cutting perfirmance is very high.

If I were to buy another Trekker I think I'd go with the two hand version.

While one handed opening is cool, a SAK is never my only knife. I always have a fixed blade or Spyderco folder with me, so if I need to cut something quickly, using those is faster than digging a SAK out of my pack, even with the opening hole.

My OHT has tweezers and toothpick. All of the Trekkers I've seen do too. The german army knife based on the OHT with green scales does not.

Serrated VS plain edge I can go either way with Spydercos or SAKs. Either will cut food, cut rope, and make feathersticks. I do like my fixed blades, Opinels and traditional pocket knives to be PE. Those tend to have thicker, more comfortable handles, so once the fire is made and the food is cooking, it's nice to sit back with a comfy PE and carve stuff.

Bottom line is I think these larger SAKS are great for hikes and camping trips. They'd be enough to get you through most situations, paired with a hatchet, saw or machete as needed. The locking screwdriver is a nice touch, the saw is longer, improved ergonomics, locking blade, PE or SE options, optional one handed opening, and the tweezers come in handy for splinters. I never carry my OHT as an EDC but I love tossing it in my hiking pack.

Unless you really need pliers or a multitool with a built in sharpener (Diamond file on a LM Wave), I don't think these style SAKs can be beat for outdoor companions. For a glove box, tool box or EDC bag I'd choose a Leatherman, but for hiking and camping I like my OHT.

The Farmer was my favorite outdoors SAK before I got a Trekker. Haven't carried mine since. I don't need saws day to day so an alox Soldier or a Tinker makes more sense, and the Trekker does everything better at the campsight than the Farmer.
I now realize that I own the exact same SAK like Vivi, just that in Europe it´s called the "Trailmaster", in the US the "Trekker" (a bit weird, since both are English words)

I can second just about everything Vivi said above, with one exeption:

- I´d always go with the one handed, "hump" version, but that´s just my personal preference: For one, I have a habit to put my thumb on the side of the blade rather than on the spine, and the hump/opening hole gives me a nice spot to do so; I also like to choke up on the Ricasso, and in that case the "forward drop" of the hump gives me a spot to push back against with the thumb; And I just like to have the option of one handed opening plus it is a bit easier to open even two handed with cold, numb fingers than the nail nick version.

- And again: The chisel grind, CE blade works great especially in outdoor scenarios imho, even more so when paired with a V grind fixed blade or folder.

- What also speaks for the Trekker / Trailmaster vs the Ranger Grip as an outdoor/hiking tool: In the same tool configuration the Ranger Grip (that would be the "78") is more than 50 % heavier than the Trekker. While I really don´t count ounces on every or even most hikes and trips, I sometimes still have to, and than it´s good to have a lighter tool that offers the same performance imho.

- OP, you said you definitely want tweezers and tooth pick. As far as I can see it is just the other way round as you believe: The RANGERGRIP line does not offer does, while for example the trailmaster does

- On tool selection, my recommendation for an outdoor scenario would be at least (if you don´t bring a leatherman or the like):
Besides the knifeblade a saw, an awl, flat head screwdriver (also functions as a scraper / prying tool) and phillips screwdriver (for technical gear like stoves, crampons, and so on, or if I happen to manipulate wood screws in cabins or the like, those are often for phillips screwdrivers).
The Trekker offers all that tools (and more)

Below a comparison pic of my Trailmaster to Endura and Delica for size perspectives:

Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

The serrations on theses SAKs don’t impede, they help. I would not consider one without them even the US military seems to agree.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

thank you all for your responses. i know the trekker has the toothpick and tweezers. i have been planning on getting one for a while, but i think i might like the ranger grip model better. the serrations on the ranger grip are very different from the trekker though. they seem to be much more aggressive. i think i will go with the opening hole version with a plain edge. i always carry my se pacific salt with me into the wilds so i’ll be covered if i need serrations. and, even though the ranger grip is bigger and heavier than the trekker, i imagine the weight will not bother me too much in my pack and will be worth it for a knife that fills my hand better during use. thanks again for your comments.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Even though I'm a devout Spyder-Head through and through I still give the Victorinox company a ton of respect. For the price you pay you really get great value for your money. Now most blade steels that Victorinox uses doesn't compare to many of the premium blade steels that Spyderco has spoiled us with. But when it comes to multi-tools and several specialty type knives the Victorinox company has a lot to offer IMO.

Not to mention all of the accessories they sell too. A great company with a great reputation IMO.
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:43 am
Even though I'm a devout Spyder-Head through and through I still give the Victorinox company a ton of respect. For the price you pay you really get great value for your money. Now most blade steels that Victorinox uses doesn't compare to many of the premium blade steels that Spyderco has spoiled us with. But when it comes to multi-tools and several specialty type knives the Victorinox company has a lot to offer IMO.

Not to mention all of the accessories they sell too. A great company with a great reputation IMO.
i feel the same. my kids have all had saks for their first knives and their first fixed blades will probably be moras. good knives that will last them a long time at a great value.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:31 am
thank you all for your responses. i know the trekker has the toothpick and tweezers. i have been planning on getting one for a while, but i think i might like the ranger grip model better. the serrations on the ranger grip are very different from the trekker though. they seem to be much more aggressive. i think i will go with the opening hole version with a plain edge. i always carry my se pacific salt with me into the wilds so i’ll be covered if i need serrations. and, even though the ranger grip is bigger and heavier than the trekker, i imagine the weight will not bother me too much in my pack and will be worth it for a knife that fills my hand better during use. thanks again for your comments.
As said, I had both, and though I liked the Trekker (=Trailmaster) a bit better and kept it, you can´t go wrong with either!
Really, the Trekker was not "better" than the Ranger Grip for me functionswise, but it performed about the same while being much lighter, that was the main reason why I preferred it eventually (a Trekker plus a Pac Salt weigh about the same as the Ranger Grip alone, if I go by the stats given on the Victorinox homepage).

But if there wasn´t a Trekker (Trailmaster), I certainly would own a Rangergrip 78 and still be a very happy camper.

So enjoy it! :)
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

Wartstein wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:39 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
As said, I had both, and though I liked the Trekker (=Trailmaster) a bit better and kept it, you can´t go wrong with either!
Really, the Trekker was not "better" than the Ranger Grip for me functionswise, but it performed about the same while being much lighter, that was the main reason why I preferred it eventually (a Trekker plus a Pac Salt weigh about the same as the Ranger Grip alone, if I go by the stats given on the Victorinox homepage).

But if there wasn´t a Trekker (Trailmaster), I certainly would own a Rangergrip 78 and still be a very happy camper.

So enjoy it! :)
so, for me, i really enjoy the more standard sized saks. i carry a camper model in my backpack always, which is why i'm partial to this toolset. i would like the same tools in a larger form, which is why i wanted a trekker initially. however, with the ranger grip being an option, it seems logical that i would go for the biggest version i can get in contrast with what i already have as opposed to getting something in between. also, according to victorinox, the ranger grip is only about an ounce and a half heavier. that doesn't seem like too much. the bulk on the other hand, i could understand making a substantial difference, but honestly, i don't even like the smaller saks in my pocket, so it won't be super noticeable.
current collection:
spyderco steels:
Wartstein

Post by Wartstein »

ladybug93 wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:45 pm
Wartstein wrote:
Tue Nov 26, 2019 2:39 pm
ladybug93 wrote:
so, for me, i really enjoy the more standard sized saks. i carry a camper model in my backpack always, which is why i'm partial to this toolset. i would like the same tools in a larger form, which is why i wanted a trekker initially. however, with the ranger grip being an option, it seems logical that i would go for the biggest version i can get in contrast with what i already have as opposed to getting something in between. also, according to victorinox, the ranger grip is only about an ounce and a half heavier. that doesn't seem like too much. the bulk on the other hand, i could understand making a substantial difference, but honestly, i don't even like the smaller saks in my pocket, so it won't be super noticeable.
Right, they seem to have their weight stats wrong on the European site, there it says Trekker: 111g (3.9 oz), Rangergrip 78: 172 g (6.1 oz)
US site: Trekker: 4.6 oz, Rangergrip 78: 6.1 oz. Seems more realistic

Regardless, as said, both are great tools, you can´t go wrong with either, and the slightly longer saw of the Rangergrip might come in handy indeed! I am sure you´ll like it a lot! :)
Peter1960

Post by Peter1960 »

ladybug93 wrote:
The blade hump makes the use of the saw uncomfortable, unfortunately I know this from own experience. :o
Peter - founding member of Spydiewiki.com

"Integrity is being good even if no one is watching"
Spyderco's company motto
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

I enjoy my trekker for what it's worth. Not a bad second knife.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
James Y

Post by James Y »

There is an (IMO) excellent book called “The Swiss Army Knife Book (63 Outdoor Projects)”, by Felix Immler. Despite the image on the book’s cover, which looks like a Victorinox Hiker, the author uses mostly a Victorinox Ranger Grip 79.

Jim
ladybug93

Post by ladybug93 »

James Y wrote:
Sun Dec 01, 2019 8:09 pm
There is an (IMO) excellent book called “The Swiss Army Knife Book (63 Outdoor Projects)”, by Felix Immler. Despite the image on the book’s cover, which looks like a Victorinox Hiker, the author uses mostly a Victorinox Ranger Grip 79.

Jim
i’ve been watching his youtube channel a lot lately. dude is a creative problem solver for sure.
current collection:
spyderco steels: