Sharpies

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
prndltech

Sharpies

Post by prndltech »

I use a sharpie at work for writing oil change stickers, etc... While I’m at work I always have one on me or within reach, along with a regular pen, in order to make notes or whatever. Recently I had the idea of carrying a sharpie marker on me outside of work as well, just like a knife. I usually have a little space pen with me because they’re easy to carry but I added the sharpie and have now done so for 4-5 days.

I don’t really have a point to this, other than I’m curious if any of you carry a sharpie on a daily basis, outside of job purposes? I’m finding it surprisingly useful. Even more so than a pen cuz you can write on pretty much anything with them...

So a sharpie lives in my pocket, for now...
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
dsvirsky

Re: Sharpies

Post by dsvirsky »

No Sharpie, but sometimes a (Richard Rogers) Sharpy:

prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I see what you did there
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I don't, but I'm going to try it!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

I carry one all the time. I use it a lot more often at work than at home though.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

bearrowland wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:50 pm
I don't, but I'm going to try it!
Interesting. I say try it everyday for a week or 2 and see what you think!

Easy to mark various material for measurements or write random things in various places... while it can bleed through paper it can even function as a pen, obviously.

I’d never thought about it till I asked for a pen cuz I forgot mine (usually in my pocket) and I got handed a sharpie... it made me think

Also an easy way to mark a cup or water bottle of your around people
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I've got a duel tip Sharpie and a Sharpie Pro in my EDC bag. I don't use them a lot but they weigh almost nothing so it makes sense to carry them.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Evil D wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:44 pm
I've got a duel tip Sharpie and a Sharpie Pro in my EDC bag. I don't use them a lot but they weigh almost nothing so it makes sense to carry them.
I did that for a long time. Didn’t use it much then, but I’ve decided to toss it in a pocket and it’s been used more. Ive used a 5.11 Moab 10 for years as a “murse”. It Goes to work with me, stays in the truck a lot else where but I use it to hold random crap like Headphones, sun glasses, bandanna, ipad, some tools, maybe some snacks, extra shirt or something... you name it, whatever the day calls for.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I carry a ballpoint pen, a regular sharpie, an ultra fine tip sharpie and a write in the rain notepad at work everyday. I have to carry them at work and am just in the habit so I carry them when not at work too.

I LOVE carrying that ultra fine tip sharpie. It can write very fine like a pen but it is permanent and can write on anything that is dry just like a regular sharpie.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
demoncase

Post by demoncase »

If Sharpy made a "click" open and retract model then I'd carry one every day....

I have a really bad habit of losing the top for them and then I end up binning them.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

I have a sharpie in my pocket all the time. Usually two (one silver and one black), so I can write on different colors of fabric legibly.
TomAiello

Post by TomAiello »

demoncase wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:29 am
If Sharpy made a "click" open and retract model then I'd carry one every day....
They do. I have several.

https://smile.amazon.com/Sharpie-32701- ... 1574267599
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I used to carry one at work when I needed it, used it daily.
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

I don't carry a Sharpie on me on a daily basis, but have considered it. I do have at least one readily available at the house.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

At my last job I used a fine tip Sharpie all the time to write patient info on x-ray films we sent off to be read by the radiologist. Still have it in my messenger bag, though it doesn't see much use in my new job.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I have never had good luck with the ultra fine tip sharpies
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:32 am
I have a sharpie in my pocket all the time.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

prndltech wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:54 am
What issues have you had?

They don’t like to get wet which is an issue I have fairly often which is why I still carry a ball point pen.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:47 pm
prndltech wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:54 am
What issues have you had?

They don’t like to get wet which is an issue I have fairly often which is why I still carry a ball point pen.
They never seem to write well... or at all. Maybe the few I’ve tried have just been bad examples but I seem to have no issues with regular ones
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
soc_monki

Post by soc_monki »

Nope... I carry a pen, pencil, milwaukee markzall (better than a sharpie), and a notepad at work. Outside of work no thanks. I take notes on my phone if I need to, and have my knives. I may carry a pen if I think I might need one, but my wife is usually with me and she carries pens and whatnot... That's what a wife is for! :D
:respect Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam, Native Chief, Blade HQ Manix 2 XL, S30V Shaman, Gayle Bradley 2, DLC M4 Shaman, Magnitude, Z Wear Shaman, DLC S30V Shaman, Stretch 2, Kapara, CF/S90V Native Chief, Endela, K390 Endura, DLT 20cv Zome Endela x 2, Police 4 LW K390, SNK Native Chief, SNK Manix 2 XL, K390 Stretch 2, Stretch 2 XL, K390 Endela