Sharpies

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
prndltech

Sharpies

Postby prndltech » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:54 am

I use a sharpie at work for writing oil change stickers, etc... While I’m at work I always have one on me or within reach, along with a regular pen, in order to make notes or whatever. Recently I had the idea of carrying a sharpie marker on me outside of work as well, just like a knife. I usually have a little space pen with me because they’re easy to carry but I added the sharpie and have now done so for 4-5 days.

I don’t really have a point to this, other than I’m curious if any of you carry a sharpie on a daily basis, outside of job purposes? I’m finding it surprisingly useful. Even more so than a pen cuz you can write on pretty much anything with them...

So a sharpie lives in my pocket, for now...
The planter, the farmer, the mechanic, and the laborer... form the great body of the people of the United States, they are the bone and sinew of the country men who love liberty and desire nothing but equal rights and equal laws. - Andrew Jackson

dsvirsky

Re: Sharpies

Postby dsvirsky » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:14 pm

No Sharpie, but sometimes a (Richard Rogers) Sharpy:

prndltech

Postby prndltech » Tue Nov 19, 2019 2:46 pm

I see what you did there
The planter, the farmer, the mechanic, and the laborer... form the great body of the people of the United States, they are the bone and sinew of the country men who love liberty and desire nothing but equal rights and equal laws. - Andrew Jackson

bearrowland

Postby bearrowland » Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:50 pm

I don't, but I'm going to try it!
Barry
:spyder: :spyder: :spyder:

The Meat man

Postby The Meat man » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:36 pm

I carry one all the time. I use it a lot more often at work than at home though.
- Connor

"You live and learn. At any rate, you live."

prndltech

Postby prndltech » Tue Nov 19, 2019 9:56 pm

bearrowland wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:50 pm
I don't, but I'm going to try it!
Interesting. I say try it everyday for a week or 2 and see what you think!

Easy to mark various material for measurements or write random things in various places... while it can bleed through paper it can even function as a pen, obviously.

I’d never thought about it till I asked for a pen cuz I forgot mine (usually in my pocket) and I got handed a sharpie... it made me think

Also an easy way to mark a cup or water bottle of your around people

Evil D

Postby Evil D » Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:44 pm

I've got a duel tip Sharpie and a Sharpie Pro in my EDC bag. I don't use them a lot but they weigh almost nothing so it makes sense to carry them.
SHARPEN IT LIKE YOU LOVE IT, USE IT LIKE YOU HATE IT
~David

prndltech

Postby prndltech » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:42 am

Evil D wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:44 pm
I've got a duel tip Sharpie and a Sharpie Pro in my EDC bag. I don't use them a lot but they weigh almost nothing so it makes sense to carry them.
I did that for a long time. Didn’t use it much then, but I’ve decided to toss it in a pocket and it’s been used more. Ive used a 5.11 Moab 10 for years as a “murse”. It Goes to work with me, stays in the truck a lot else where but I use it to hold random crap like Headphones, sun glasses, bandanna, ipad, some tools, maybe some snacks, extra shirt or something... you name it, whatever the day calls for.

bearfacedkiller

Postby bearfacedkiller » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:03 am

I carry a ballpoint pen, a regular sharpie, an ultra fine tip sharpie and a write in the rain notepad at work everyday. I have to carry them at work and am just in the habit so I carry them when not at work too.

I LOVE carrying that ultra fine tip sharpie. It can write very fine like a pen but it is permanent and can write on anything that is dry just like a regular sharpie.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

demoncase

Postby demoncase » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:29 am

If Sharpy made a "click" open and retract model then I'd carry one every day....

I have a really bad habit of losing the top for them and then I end up binning them.
Warhammer 40000 is- basically- Lord Of The Rings on a cocktail of every drug known to man and genuine lunar dust, stuck in a blender with Alien, Mechwarrior, Dune, Starship Troopers, Fahrenheit 451 and Star Wars, bathed in blood, turned up to eleventy billion, set on fire, and catapulted off into space screaming "WAAAGH!" and waving a chainsaw sword- without the happy ending.

https://www.instagram.com/commissarcainscoffeecup/

TomAiello

Postby TomAiello » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:32 am

I have a sharpie in my pocket all the time. Usually two (one silver and one black), so I can write on different colors of fabric legibly.

TomAiello

Postby TomAiello » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:33 am

demoncase wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:29 am
If Sharpy made a "click" open and retract model then I'd carry one every day....
They do. I have several.

https://smile.amazon.com/Sharpie-32701- ... 1574267599

Ankerson

Postby Ankerson » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:58 am

I used to carry one at work when I needed it, used it daily.

Water Bug

Postby Water Bug » Wed Nov 20, 2019 5:00 pm

I don't carry a Sharpie on me on a daily basis, but have considered it. I do have at least one readily available at the house.
Spyderco WTC #1044

Halfneck

Postby Halfneck » Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:37 pm

At my last job I used a fine tip Sharpie all the time to write patient info on x-ray films we sent off to be read by the radiologist. Still have it in my messenger bag, though it doesn't see much use in my new job.

prndltech

Postby prndltech » Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:54 am

I have never had good luck with the ultra fine tip sharpies

Bloke

Postby Bloke » Thu Nov 21, 2019 3:27 pm

TomAiello wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:32 am
I have a sharpie in my pocket all the time.
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin

bearfacedkiller

Postby bearfacedkiller » Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:47 pm

prndltech wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:54 am
What issues have you had?

They don’t like to get wet which is an issue I have fairly often which is why I still carry a ball point pen.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?

prndltech

Postby prndltech » Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:09 am

bearfacedkiller wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 6:47 pm
prndltech wrote:
Thu Nov 21, 2019 8:54 am
What issues have you had?

They don’t like to get wet which is an issue I have fairly often which is why I still carry a ball point pen.
They never seem to write well... or at all. Maybe the few I’ve tried have just been bad examples but I seem to have no issues with regular ones

soc_monki

Postby soc_monki » Thu Nov 28, 2019 4:31 pm

Nope... I carry a pen, pencil, milwaukee markzall (better than a sharpie), and a notepad at work. Outside of work no thanks. I take notes on my phone if I need to, and have my knives. I may carry a pen if I think I might need one, but my wife is usually with me and she carries pens and whatnot... That's what a wife is for! :D
Spyderco : Resilience, Tenacious, Persistence, Manix 2 G10, Para 3 G10, Para 3 LW, Paramilitary 2,
BBS Paramilitary 2, Amalgam
Kershaw : Tone, Cryo, Cryo 2, Thermite, Atmos, Natrix 7007cf, Natrix 7008cf, Bareknuckle 7777, Bareknuckle 20cv, Concierge
Zero Tolerance : 0566CF, 0770CF, 0770GRYBW, 0562CF, 0470, 0456CF, 0095BW, 0801TI
Ontario : Rat 1
CRKT : Caligo
Civivi : Plethiros, Baklash
Cold Steel : AD10
Benchmade : 810-1401 Contego, 15080-2 Crooked River, 15080-Custom Crooked River
Buck : 110, Bucklite 422, 110 LT
Artisan : Tradition

Return to “Off-Topic”