5G? What's The Deal?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
James Y

Re: 5G? What's The Deal?

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:53 am

There's been several good points to consider thus far. My immediate concern from what I've personally gathered so far is >>WHY DO WE EVEN NEED IT??? If the only benefit is for it to be a cash cow for the already filthy rich telecom industries then I do have some concerns. Because being they seem to be the sole beneficiaries of this new technology then I think that the burden should be on them to prove it to be safe for the end line user.
Joe,

IMO, it shouldn’t be up to those who are putting it out to prove that it’s safe, but a qualified, unbiased third party that has no financial connections to those who are putting it out. If it’s left up to the industry itself, they will always find that it’s perfectly safe, whether it really is or not.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:55 am
JD Spydo wrote:

There's been several good points to consider thus far. My immediate concern from what I've personally gathered so far is >>WHY DO WE EVEN NEED IT??? If the only benefit is for it to be a cash cow for the already filthy rich telecom industries then I do have some concerns. Because being they seem to be the sole beneficiaries of this new technology then I think that the burden should be on them to prove it to be safe for the end line user.
Joe,

IMO, it shouldn’t be up to those who are putting it out to prove that it’s safe, but a qualified, unbiased third party that has no financial connections to those who are putting it out. If it’s left up to the industry itself, they will always find that it’s perfectly safe, whether it really is or not
JIM I couldn't agree with you more. And maybe I was sloppy with my wording of my last post. But I was trying to stress the fact that there has been very little open forum or any town hall meetings to inform the people about the pros and cons of the 5G networks. The people that stand to make a huge profit from it is the telecommunications industry and you can be well assured that they could care less about public health of any problems that the end line user might suffer>> as long as their earnings per share keeps going skyward. OH I couldn't agree with you more that an independent third party that has no financial stake in it should be the one doing some objective, critical testing of it. And to a large degree the Telecom companies should have to bankroll it.
And that is why I've kind of given validity to people like Deborah Tavares of ( stopthecrime.net). She has pointed out the corrupt money trails of this 5G network technology and who benefits from it. As far as I know she or her husband have no financial stake in any telecommunications corporate entity. Just look at how the tobacco industries for years hid the horrendous health hazards of their products>> but not until literally thousands of people lost their lives because of their poison products.

Another thing that drove me to put up this thread is that all the information that has come forth from the mainstream news media is all slanted toward the favor of the telecom giants>> of which I'm sure that they sponsor many of the main radio and TV networks. And this is where money can get in the way of the truth. Sorry if I was misunderstood. I already see dozens of people around me literally turning into mindless zombies and are addicted to these smart phones even worse than any street addict I've ever seen. And I'm not exaggerating either.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JD Spydo wrote:
Good Points Naperville :) And let me make it known that the reason I started this thread is because I personally want to know more facts about this upcoming 5G technology. In no way do I want to stir up any bad blood are create any controversies. I just want open dialogue because I'm not getting much "UNBIASED" information about the upcoming 5G.

I think 5G is a huge increase in bandwidth. That is why we need it. Capacity.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Naperville wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 8:34 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Good Points Naperville :) And let me make it known that the reason I started this thread is because I personally want to know more facts about this upcoming 5G technology. In no way do I want to stir up any bad blood are create any controversies. I just want open dialogue because I'm not getting much "UNBIASED" information about the upcoming 5G.

I think 5G is a huge increase in bandwidth. That is why we need it. Capacity.
Yeah I got that>> but at what cost? At what cost to our mental and physical health? And what other potential consequences?

Because right now at this time the average attention span of most humans is anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes>> that can't be good for the long haul.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:15 pm
Yeah I got that>> but at what cost? At what cost to our mental and physical health? And what other potential consequences?

Because right now at this time the average attention span of most humans is anywhere from 3 to 5 minutes>> that can't be good for the long haul.
When I was at uni, I developed an unreal ability to concentrate for long periods of time. That was decades ago. Now I'm lucky to read a complete book at all. I'm still buying them, but I'm not completing them. Working on getting that back...

I think the 5G is more for video. I have a decent desktop system but most people buy cellphones now and they are wireless. I have a good cellphone, but I don't use it at all.

I would step back from the ledge you are on and let the technology come out. Have a wait and see attitude. If it's bad in any way, they will shelve it, and replace it with a safer alternative.

I have a little faith! 5G isn't for me, like I said, I don't use my cellphone.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Naperville wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:24 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Nov 22, 2019 10:15 pm

When I was at uni, I developed an unreal ability to concentrate for long periods of time. That was decades ago. Now I'm lucky to read a complete book at all. I'm still buying them, but I'm not completing them. Working on getting that back...

I think the 5G is more for video. I have a decent desktop system but most people buy cellphones now and they are wireless. I have a good cellphone, but I don't use it at all.

I would step back from the ledge you are on and let the technology come out. Have a wait and see attitude. If it's bad in any way, they will shelve it, and replace it with a safer alternative.

I have a little faith! 5G isn't for me, like I said, I don't use my cellphone.
I wonder why that is??? Because I've talked to several people in the past couple of years that admit to me that their attention span isn't what it used to be :confused: >> I've noticed in the past few years I just can't focus on something for very long at all compared to 5 years ago. Not at all saying that cell phone technology, WiFi or any other high tech item is the culprit because I just don't know. It could just be the extremely fast pace of life.

But a lady in my neighborhood who is a high school teacher has told me on a couple of occasions that it's harder than ever to keep a student's attention. She said she almost has to threaten students with extremely harsh punishments to get them not to play with their smart phones in class. She agreed with me that these newer phones are as addictive as a hard narcotic. To me it's even frightening how much society has changed in such a short period of time. I fear this new 5G technology is just going to make things even worse>> but maybe that's by design to control society. Just a wild guess.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I don’t know if it’s the tech itself that’s shortened attention spans so much as all the information (and the attendant distractions) that’s available at the push of a button. Yes, it’s tech that makes that possible, but to me, it’s the sheer volume and easy access that’s the culprit. You look up one thing online, and a bunch of other related and semi-related stuff pops up. Back in the day, if you wanted Info you didn’t know, you had to physically look it up. And if you exhausted all your leads, you’d either have to ask around and hope, or go without.

I sometimes see comments on YouTube under old-school ‘60s, ‘70s and ‘80s music, where someone says, “I was born in the ‘90s (or post-2K) and was born in the wrong generation; I wish I could go back in a time machine to that era.” First off, if they could, they wouldn’t last more than an hour there. They’ve literally never known a time without social media when info wasn’t available at a keystroke, as well as the ability to post comments like that. A millennial may watch the movies and listen to the songs of that era, but living in those past decades was literally a completely different world from life today.

I find that my ability to focus is still pretty good. If a book grabs my interest, I still have trouble putting it down. But quite often now, I’m splitting my attention between more than one book at a time. Much more is available now, whether tech-related or hard copy.

Or maybe it really is that the technology is rewiring people’s brains. Everybody nowadays seems to think they’re good at multi-tasking using tech (texting while driving, blue tooth (or whatever it is) while shopping or at the gym, when most really suck at it. Who is it you need to talk to 24/7 (that’s a rhetorical question, because I really don’t care). People nowadays seem unable to unplug themselves from it. I am certain that most kids today (who grow up with the WiFi, etc.) will never be able to unplug themselves from it without some negative psychological consequences.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I just ran across a website that I have visited in the past that literally declares that 5G technology is the equivalent of a military weapon. The website is www.naturalnews.com In the past I've found a lot of their news articles to be accurate. They go into detail as to how the military has used these types of electronics for crowd control among other uses they had.

Deborah Tavares who I mentioned earlier who has also done a couple of videos on 5G technology has also made similar statements in the past about the technology that they use is similar to military weapons and crowd control technology. Her website again is >> www.stopthecrime.net<<.

What I find strange is that I am not hearing much good news about this new technology other than faster downloads and somewhat quicker internet access. Again I just don't see where this untested technology is needed.
vivi

Post by vivi »

JD, the sky isn't falling. 5G is to 4G what S110V is to S30V. It's going to be the same thing we use every day with some minor improvements in certain areas.

It isn't much different from going from 2G to 3G to 4G. Or dial-up to cable on your desktop.

Is it needed? For the most part, no. But it has its perks. I remember waiting over a minute for a single imagine to download when I first went online. These days I can download a movie in about 30 seconds. It's nice. Less wasted time.

The ability to focus comes down to the individual. No one is forcing anyone to use social media & smart phones all the time, they're choosing to. Books are still there. Even paper ones. I buy more of them every week to take to my lunch breaks at work. No trouble knocking out a few chapters even with a full featured computer in my pocket. No issues keeping myself off FB, instagram, Twitter etc. Just gotta have some self control.

Those evil smartphones can be 100% devoid of social media and instead filled to the brim with books, encyclopedias, and other informative media along those lines. I have over 50,000 digital books to choose from on mine :)
:unicorn
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:32 pm
JD, the sky isn't falling. 5G is to 4G what S110V is to S30V. It's going to be the same thing we use every day with some minor improvements in certain areas.

It isn't much different from going from 2G to 3G to 4G. Or dial-up to cable on your desktop.

Is it needed? For the most part, no. But it has its perks. I remember waiting over a minute for a single imagine to download when I first went online. These days I can download a movie in about 30 seconds. It's nice. Less wasted time.

The ability to focus comes down to the individual. No one is forcing anyone to use social media & smart phones all the time, they're choosing to. Books are still there. Even paper ones. I buy more of them every week to take to my lunch breaks at work. No trouble knocking out a few chapters even with a full featured computer in my pocket. No issues keeping myself off FB, instagram, Twitter etc. Just gotta have some self control.

Those evil smartphones can be 100% devoid of social media and instead filled to the brim with books, encyclopedias, and other informative media along those lines. I have over 50,000 digital books to choose from on mine :)
Well Vivi I know you are well meaning and a good guy and I do sincerely hope you are right. But it still concerns me that safety for the end line consumer doesn't seem to matter to these telecom companies and that alone does concern me. And it does bother me that there are not any town hall meetings where all of this could be talked about and address many of concerns from both sides of these issues.

Truthfully I do hope you all can laugh at me for being concerned as I am when it's all said and done. But still even at that I do wish that there would be more open discussion on 5G technology before they implement it on a national scale. The country of Switzerland already has it in operation and many of their citizenry are wanting it removed. I'm just saying that I think there is more to it than meets the eye. But I hope you end up being 100% right because GOD knows we've got enough problems in this nation without adding more to the mix.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Instead of alarmist websites that do not base their opinions in hard science, how about we deal in facts. Here-

https://blogs.scientificamerican.com/ob ... lth-risks/

I have read this thread for the past few days and decided to call a another retired Marine buddy that is now a regional engineer for "a VERY large telecom company". He echo'd the article above and when I ask the key question..."Would you give a 5G phone to your kids?" he just laughed and stated that HE was already using one because 5G implementation was his main project right now and his kids are always swiping his phone to play with...And he has zero worries about the tech. Read he article and decide for yourself.

Another article from actual telecom knowledgeable sources-

https://www.tomsguide.com/special-repor ... alth-risks
vivi

Post by vivi »

JD Spydo wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:45 pm
Vivi wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:32 pm

Well Vivi I know you are well meaning and a good guy and I do sincerely hope you are right. But it still concerns me that safety for the end line consumer doesn't seem to matter to these telecom companies and that alone does concern me. And it does bother me that there are not any town hall meetings where all of this could be talked about and address many of concerns from both sides of these issues.

Truthfully I do hope you all can laugh at me for being concerned as I am when it's all said and done. But still even at that I do wish that there would be more open discussion on 5G technology before they implement it on a national scale. The country of Switzerland already has it in operation and many of their citizenry are wanting it removed. I'm just saying that I think there is more to it than meets the eye. But I hope you end up being 100% right because GOD knows we've got enough problems in this nation without adding more to the mix.
Well JD there are also people that think wifi, any and all cell signals, and even electricity in general cause cancer, harm the brain etc.

I'm not laughing at you, but I do think you've let yourself become misguided on the matter.

Back in the day there were people who protested against railroad tracks being installed near their town. Some people thought they were dangerous and that the human body wouldn't survive going over ~20 mph. New technology is often met with concern - but not all concerns are valid.

There are some people out there convinced vaccines cause autism and the world is flat. There are all sorts of beliefs out there, but simply believing something does not make it true.

Tom's Guide is a great source on anything tech.
:unicorn
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

I guess I probably fall into the "power user" category with my phone...I literally use it hundreds of times a day for everything from meaningless time wasting to critical work related tasks that I couldn't do my job without otherwise. It'll probably kill me eventually but I don't drink or smoke so I guess it's either cancer or heart failure for me. This is the world we live in and it isn't going to slow down any time soon.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:31 am
I guess I probably fall into the "power user" category with my phone...I literally use it hundreds of times a day for everything from meaningless time wasting to critical work related tasks that I couldn't do my job without otherwise. It'll probably kill me eventually but I don't drink or smoke so I guess it's either cancer or heart failure for me. This is the world we live in and it isn't going to slow down any time soon.
That's a good point Evil D and there are probably a lot of us painted into a similar corner as you seem to be. In our modern life time we've had so many of these new high tech toys and devices that started out as luxuries and toys but later became "necessities".

Yep we've seen so many Luxuries that have been transformed into necessities probably more than any other era in human history. Not sure if 5G is really necessary but they will have it so prevalent that it will soon also be converted into a necessity. I'm getting closer to going into the deep Missouri Ozarks to live out my life and to also live off the grid. Not sure what choice would be the wisest at this point.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well as I told all you guys earlier that I watched several videos on the subject of 5G I think I found one that I truly feel comfortable sharing with all of you. To do it justice you really need to sit and watch it uninterrupted. There is a lot of technical jargon and high tech explanations of certain devices that I'm not fully up to speed on but I was still able to get the message that they are trying to put across.

Here is the URL for that video >> youtube.com/watch?v=YsaJ3vSQBag&list=PL50VqWgr-XoFITWAIMbjbICYe-Azha71p&index=61 <<

You can also pull it up by title and sponsor>> the title is "Can 5G Fry Your Brain" << Shown by "John Caleb Warren" on Youtube

It's a little over an hour long but it does cover a lot of questions that have been asked about this new 5G technology,. Frankly I still have not drawn a complete conclusion but I've seen enough to know that it's not good for the health of the public.

If any of you get a chance to watch let me know what you think. It's the best informative video on 5G that I've seen up till now.