Any News on the new XFL League??

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

Any News on the new XFL League??

Post by JD Spydo »

Well we are still in the prime part of the NFL season but I'm already looking forward to the newly revamped XFL football league that plays their first game in February. Unfortunately we don't have a franchise here in Kansas City but they will have one in St. Louis across the state from me and I hope to make a couple of games for the new St. Louis XFL team. I still think it was an absolute outrage that they moved the NFL RAMS back to L.A. The St. Louis fans loved them>> they won a Superbowl in St. Louis. What a rip-off :mad: But they will have a football team now
I'm going to be really interested to also see how this apparent retiring of Andrew Luck plays out. Because with his dad being the commissioner of the new XFL league I do think it's possible he might end up going that route to help his dad with his new business venture. I was actually sad to see the XFL flop the first time around. I actually liked some of their different rules. I'm no longer a baseball fan at all anymore so I don't care what months out of the year they play.

Also I'm wondering if any of you are in a town that will have an XFL team? And I'm just wondering if any of you all might have heard any updates on the new XFL football league?
James Y

Re: Any News on the new XFL League??

Post by James Y »

Isn’t that from Vince McMahon, the head of WWE wrestling who failed with XFL almost 20 years ago?

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:24 pm
Isn’t that from Vince McMahon, the head of WWE wrestling who failed with XFL almost 20 years ago?
YEP!! that is one of Vince McMahon's creations. And I don't really know what caused it to bomb the first time around. Because the Nielson TV ratings were really good in their first season. And to launch a new football league it's going to take someone with extremely deep pockets like Vince McMahon to bank roll such an operation.
Unlike his funny and entertaining fake wrestling matches the football games really aren't fake. They are truly fielding professional athletes for this new XFL football league. There are a lot of former NFL people involved too. I just found out today that the head Coach and General Manager of the St, Louis BattleHawks is Jonathan Hayes who used to be a tight end for the KC Chiefs a few years back.
It's about time that the NFL had some serious competition. Because the Canadian Football League has never given the NFL any solid competition. It should be interesting to see how this operation pans out.
I'm not a huge fan of Vince McMahon but this does seem like a good idea.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Although I’m not a football fan myself, I agree that any major organization like the NFL should have some kind of legitimate competition.

I don’t care for Vince McMahon much at all.

A bit OT, but my sister-in-law has a younger female cousin who used to be a professional wrestler on a wrestling brand called TNA/Impact (TNA meant Total Nonstop Action), which at one time was a legitimate competitor to WWE. Many former WWE wrestlers would jump to TNA, and vice versa. This was maybe around 10 years ago. I watched it back then to see her matches. Back then, TNA had a pretty entertaining women’s division called The TNA Knockouts. She suffered a pretty serious injury at one point, IIRC to her leg/ankle from a twisting movement or something. Yep, the matches are fake, but the physical punishment their bodies endure and the injuries they suffer are real. She wrestled under the names Roxxi Laveaux in TNA and Nikki Roxx (both stage names) on the independent circuit. She retired from wrestling several years ago.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:39 pm
Although I’m not a football fan myself, I agree that any major organization like the NFL should have some kind of legitimate competition.

I don’t care for Vince McMahon much at all.

A bit OT, but my sister-in-law has a younger female cousin who used to be a professional wrestler on a wrestling brand called TNA/Impact (TNA meant Total Nonstop Action), which at one time was a legitimate competitor to WWE. Many former WWE wrestlers would jump to TNA, and vice versa. This was maybe around 10 years ago. I watched it back then to see her matches. Back then, TNA had a pretty entertaining women’s division called The TNA Knockouts. She suffered a pretty serious injury at one point, IIRC to her leg/ankle from a twisting movement or something. Yep, the matches are fake, but the physical punishment their bodies endure and the injuries they suffer are real. She wrestled under the names Roxxi Laveaux in TNA and Nikki Roxx (both stage names) on the independent circuit. She retired from wrestling several years ago
Yeah I hear you. Because since the day that Lennox Lewis retired from the heavyweight division of boxing it seemed like men's pro boxing has since gone down the toilet. I like the women's boxing far more than I do the stuff the men have to offer. Because since Lewis retired all the big names I enjoyed like Tyson, Holyfield, Tua, Bowe and to some degree even the late Tommy Morrison ( who was from here in KC) were really passionate about the sport they were in.

yeah Vince McMahon is truly wrestling's version of Don King :eek: Many former WWE/WWF wrestlers have hardly anything good to say about the guy. Jesse Ventura for instance absolutely despises him :rolleyes: >> according to Brett The Hitman Hart Vince McMahon literally almost ruined him financially. And I've heard several of the others say some pretty debased things about McMahon too. I think this is maybe a tax dodge or just a big money investment for McMahon. Because they have Oliver Luck ( Andrew Luck's father) as the commissioner and several ex NFL guys pretty much running the show. So I'm pretty sure his presence will be rather limited.

I've even heard that Vince McMahon has even had members of his own family file law suits against him on more than one occasion too.

But from what all I've gathered I think this is mainly an investment and tax shelter for him more than anything. Because the WWE still sucks up the vast majority of his time.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I don't know if any of you are thinking on the same terms as I am. But with this new XFL football league about to be launched here very shortly to some degree really changes the dynamics of the sport of football. This new XFL league opens up some options for some people who are having problems with the NFL. Take all of this media circus with Colin Kaepernick for instance. It's getting to be quite obvious that the NFL really doesn't want Colin to play again in their league again>> at least that's what it looks like to me anyway. So why doesn't Mr. Kaepernick just go ahead and get a deal going with the new XFL league?

And if Andrew Luck opts to play for his dad's league ( XFL) rather than returning to the NFL then that changes a lot of options these guys previously had.
That way the XFL could get high quality players like the two of them thus making this new football league quite interesting. Now I'm sure that both players could make substantially more money playing in the NFL>> but there are so many situations now to where just playing in another league might be the better option with everything considered. Because I truly think the upcoming XFL league will be far more authentic version of Pro Football rather than the Arena Football League for instance ( give me a break :rolleyes: )

So what do you all think about that?
Last edited by JD Spydo on Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
murphjd25

Post by murphjd25 »

I haven’t heard much news lately, but we got a team here in Seattle too, The Dragons. I will probably try to go to a couple games this year since tickets are so cheap and their season starts literally right after the NFL is done. Should be interesting and exciting to see how it goes.
Josh
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

murphjd25 wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 9:49 am
I haven’t heard much news lately, but we got a team here in Seattle too, The Dragons. I will probably try to go to a couple games this year since tickets are so cheap and their season starts literally right after the NFL is done. Should be interesting and exciting to see how it goes.
That's interesting too "murph" because with the success that Pete Carroll has had with the NFL Seahawks team it goes without saying that Seattle is for a sure a "football town". And again it gives NFL players that have some playing time left in their bodies even though most NFL teams might pass them up for younger players or new draft picks>> it gives them another option rather than fading away in the Arena Leagues which nobody pays any attention to. We have an Arena team here in KC and I don't even know the name of the team :o . Shows you how interested most fans are not :rolleyes:

I have no doubt that the Seattle XFL Team will do quite well in that market. It's getting so outrageously expensive to go to most NFL games anymore. The cost of going to a Chief's game here in KC has almost doubled just in the past 5 years or so. And many of the fans ( even the ones that can afford it) are getting fed up with their never ending greed. And the Chiefs are not one of the more expensive markets either. It now costs over $70 just to park your car here at Arrowhead stadium to attend a Chief's game.

I love the Chiefs and grew up with them in the 60s/70s when they were developing. And maybe the competition the XFL might bring will make the market better and going to a game more affordable.
James Y

Post by James Y »

Since Vince McMahon is involved with XFL, and he is friends with Trump, and Trump was against Kaepernick, would that affect Kaepernick’s ability to land a contract with XFL?

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:02 am
Since Vince McMahon is involved with XFL, and he is friends with Trump, and Trump was against Kaepernick, would that affect Kaepernick’s ability to land a contract with XFL?
Jim that is an interesting observation that demands an explanation for sure. But to get right to the core of the issue if you remember all the way back to the mid 1980s when Donald Trump was heavily involved with one of the first new football leagues to compete head to head with the NFL. It was called the United States Football League i.e. The USFL. I had heard later on that Vince McMahon also had investments in that league as well. But I can't really completely confirm that even though I was told that by many of my friends at the time. However the WWF was not nearly as famous then as it is now. But I do know 100% for sure that Trump had huge investments in the USFL.

There is one big element in all of this you can't overlook>> with this cast of characters they live by one main credo>> money is their god. And if Kaepernick could make them a pile of loot then you can bet that they will put their differences aside. Trust me these billionaires ( most of them anyway) could care less about any moral principles.

If Colin Kaepernick would be a big draw to the league then I would bet they would work something out. Which is why I wondered weeks ago when Andrew Luck retired from the NFL if he might have had a plan B to come back to football in his father's ( Oliver Luck's) league.

But Jim you might be on to something and I doubt if I would bet the farm on it either way. But I do think that if signing Colin Kaepernick as a QB in the XFL would increase TV ratings and bring aboard sponsors then I can assure you they would put all of that aside.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well I've tried to keep my big trap shut about Colin Kaepernick but enough is enough :mad: I am so sick of this multi-millionaire literally bellyaching and boo Hooing about things when he's not even willing to get his hands dirty>> or even to try to be peaceful and compromise. He truly had his chance to return to the NFL but he wanted to do it on his own ridiculous terms and I say it's time for both entities to part ways.

But I still think that Mr. Kaepernick could still probably do well and salvage some of his career in the upcoming XFL. Truly it's really his only option at this point. After he literally taunted and insulted the hierarchy of the NFL I don't see how on earth he could possibly get any NFL team interested at all at this point. So he needs to focus on trying out for the XFL.
The Mastiff

Post by The Mastiff »

But I still think that Mr. Kaepernick could still probably do well and salvage some of his career in the upcoming XFL. Truly it's really his only option at this point. After he literally taunted and insulted the hierarchy of the NFL I don't see how on earth he could possibly get any NFL team interested at all at this point. So he needs to focus on trying out for the XFL.
I don't believe he wants to play. If he did he would have been really trying the whole time. What he seems to be doing now is trying to position himself for victim -hood and not any real sports career. Going down to the XFL and probably failing would expose him further and deflate his preferred narrative of being kicked out of the sport for his activism . I'd guess he is trying to fool himself almost as much as he is others.

I thought it funny that one of the receivers he used was offered a try out and he wasn't. If he really had the potential to step back into the NFL as a QB some of the truly QB desperate teams would have grabbed him up with no hesitation. There is always someone who will take a chance on real talent even with multiple red flags attached.
James Y

Post by James Y »

I can’t see into Kaepernick’s head, but I almost wonder if he isn’t enjoying the attention and notoriety he’s been given since all of this started, more than he did being a good football player. Before he was in the news for taking a knee during the national anthem, I’d never even heard of him. And I’ll bet that’s true of a lot of other people who are not big football fans. I agree with The Mastiff that he seems to want to be seen as a victim. Like that Jussie Smollett guy, whom I’d also never heard of until he staged that fake attack on himself.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 2:24 pm
I can’t see into Kaepernick’s head, but I almost wonder if he isn’t enjoying the attention and notoriety he’s been given since all of this started, more than he did being a good football player. Before he was in the news for taking a knee during the national anthem, I’d never even heard of him. And I’ll bet that’s true of a lot of other people who are not big football fans. I agree with The Mastiff that he seems to want to be seen as a victim. Like that Jussie Smollett guy, whom I’d also never heard of until he staged that fake attack on himself.
Well with all due respect Jim that's not really a good comparison in one sense because Jussie Smollett is an outright criminal who was indicted ( and still should be) for 16 felonies. Whereas Colin Kaepernick is mainly a warped, dysfunctional ding a ling. And that's about as nice as I can be about it.

You guys may be right in principle however because he literally sabotaged any chance he had of getting back into NFL football. And with the harsh and somewhat threatening talk he made on that one video about the league and league owners I'm sure that sealed his fate with any hopes of returning completely trashed at this point.

But I bet the new XFL would take him. Being that they are a brand new football league competing head to head with the NFL his controversy might just spike their ratings. I could be wrong but that's what it looks like to me.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:53 pm
James Y wrote:
Well with all due respect Jim that's not really a good comparison in one sense because Jussie Smollett is an outright criminal who was indicted ( and still should be) for 16 felonies. Whereas Colin Kaepernick is mainly a warped, dysfunctional ding a ling. And that's about as nice as I can be about it.

You guys may be right in principle however because he literally sabotaged any chance he had of getting back into NFL football. And with the harsh and somewhat threatening talk he made on that one video about the league and league owners I'm sure that sealed his fate with any hopes of returning completely trashed at this point.

But I bet the new XFL would take him. Being that they are a brand new football league competing head to head with the NFL his controversy might just spike their ratings. I could be wrong but that's what it looks like to me.
Even though what Smollett did was different from Kaepernick, they both seem to revel in the role of oppressed victim, although IMO what Kaepernick did wasn’t nearly as bad, just dumb. They’ve both sabotaged their own careers. But who knows if it’s for forever. Mel Gibson said and probably did some pretty ugly things that you would think would get someone blackballed from Hollywood, yet he has gotten work in Hollywood films since then, though not at the level as before his meltdowns.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the XFL were open to signing Kaepernick. As with many businesses, money rules. In McMahon’s WWE, Bret Hart spit on McMahon’s face (unscripted), then later off-camera punched him in the face (also unscripted). Yet Hart was recently inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:04 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 3:53 pm
James Y wrote:

Even though what Smollett did was different from Kaepernick, they both seem to revel in the role of oppressed victim, although IMO what Kaepernick did wasn’t nearly as bad, just dumb. They’ve both sabotaged their own careers. But who knows if it’s for forever. Mel Gibson said and probably did some pretty ugly things that you would think would get someone blackballed from Hollywood, yet he has gotten work in Hollywood films since then, though not at the level as before his meltdowns.

I wouldn’t be surprised if the XFL were open to signing Kaepernick. As with many businesses, money rules. In McMahon’s WWE, Bret Hart spit on McMahon’s face (unscripted), then later off-camera punched him in the face (also unscripted). Yet Hart was recently inducted into the WWE Hall of Fame.
OK I see what you're saying now Jim. But I truly do think that what Smollett did should be criminally prosecuted. Also that totally corrupt district attorney in that Smollett case Kim Fox should also go to jail for Obstruction of Justice. Jussie Smollett should also have to pay for all the hours that law enforcement used to investigate his false, made up case.
But overall I now see your point. Yeah there is a victim mentality as an underlying motive for both of them. Kaepernick is not a criminal like Smollett obviously is but yet a huge cry baby for sure. And he's a hypocrite to that cause anyway.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Well now that the regular NFL season has concluded and going into the post season it will be most interesting to see if Andrew Luck ends up in the XFL.

I still think with his dad being the commissioner of the league that it is a distinct possibility. It's also going to be interesting to see how many current free agents will give up trying to get in the NFL again and going for the XFL.

I would bet by the time the 2020 Superbowl is over with that there will be at least two dozen NFL guys jump ship and go to the XFL for various reasons.