Liquid Cobra is making some knives..

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
SolidState

Re: Liquid Cobra is making some knives..

Post by SolidState »

Welcome to the dark side!!!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Yesterday I made my first sheaths which I have to say was a pretty fun step in the process of knife making. It’s relatively easy and gives me the feeling like I’ve actually produced a finished product. I had a spare Spyderco G clip laying around so I threw it on the big one. Thanks for looking.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390
Grail Paramilitary 2 M390 X 2! ACHIEVED!!

For more of my pictures see my Instagram account.
@liquid_cobra
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Made another this weekend. The handle material is micarta and was gifted to me by non other than our very own RadioActiveSpyder!

Thanks for looking.

Most recently acquired: Military 2, Paramilitary 2 Tanto x2, YoJUMBO, Swayback, Siren, DLC Yojimbo 2, Native Chief, Shaman S90V, Para 3 LW, Ikuchi, UKPK, Smock, SUBVERT, Amalgam, Para 3 CTS-XHP, Kapara, Paramilitary 2 M390

@liquid_cobra
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

So very nice!!
Woodpuppy

Post by Woodpuppy »

Nice work!!!
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Couple more today. My first (successful) wharncliffes.

@liquid_cobra
TkoK83Spy

Post by TkoK83Spy »

Doing some great work LC!!! Digging those warnie's!
15 :bug-red 's in 10 different steels
1 - Bradford Guardian 3 / Vanadis 4E Wharnie
1 - Monterey Bay Knives Slayback Flipper / ZDP 189
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31/Macassar Ebony Inlays
1 - CRK Large Inkosi Insingo/ Black Micarta Inlays
1 - CRK Small Sebenza 31 Insingo/Magnacut

-Rick
remnar

Post by remnar »

Those new knives are looking great! The sheaths came out looking good also. Thanks for sharing. :)
Sharp Guy

Post by Sharp Guy »

remnar wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 12:17 am
Those new knives are looking great! The sheaths came out looking good also. Thanks for sharing. :)
Yes I really like those Wharnies!

Nice job LQ!!!
Of all the things I've lost I miss my mind the most!
benben

Post by benben »

Man those are beautiful, quite impressive!!
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Great looking work LC! I've been wanting to get started making blades myself now that I'm more comfortable making scales/handles.

If I may ask, what brand bevel jig are you using in the picture of your grinder? I'm assuming you're doing stock removal, could I also ask your preferred source for materials?

I've got a piece 1095 I plan to play around with just as a hobby, but would love to get my grind lines as good you. Thanks for sharing.
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Thanks for the feedback folks! It’s nice to know I’m on the right track.
legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:35 pm
Great looking work LC! I've been wanting to get started making blades myself now that I'm more comfortable making scales/handles.

If I may ask, what brand bevel jig are you using in the picture of your grinder? I'm assuming you're doing stock removal, could I also ask your preferred source for materials?

I've got a piece 1095 I plan to play around with just as a hobby, but would love to get my grind lines as good you. Thanks for sharing.
Yes I’m doing stock removal and my own heat treat. I live in Canada so I order the majority of my steel from Knifemaker.ca because they’re local. But every now and then I’ll try elsewhere in the states. New Jersey steel baron, USAknifemaker, etc. I think alpha knife supply sells steel too.

The jig I use is a 4” grinding jig from DD work rest. They can be found on Instagram and do says through their eBay store. It’s my first jig but I really like it. I think I made a good choice when I purchased it. Of course you could always make one yourself if you didn’t want to spend the money.

I use a jig but I’m also grinding free hand. I find the jig is helping me learn how to grind better without hit if that makes sense.

Thanks again for your interest and please let me know if you have any more questions.

@liquid_cobra
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Very clean work LC! You clearly have a lot of talent for knifemaking. :)

What steel did you use for those wharncliffes?
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
legOFwhat?

Post by legOFwhat? »

Liquid Cobra wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 12:14 am
Thanks for the feedback folks! It’s nice to know I’m on the right track.
legOFwhat? wrote:
Fri Jan 03, 2020 4:35 pm

Yes I’m doing stock removal and my own heat treat. I live in Canada so I order the majority of my steel from Knifemaker.ca because they’re local. But every now and then I’ll try elsewhere in the states. New Jersey steel baron, USAknifemaker, etc. I think alpha knife supply sells steel too.

The jig I use is a 4” grinding jig from DD work rest. They can be found on Instagram and do says through their eBay store. It’s my first jig but I really like it. I think I made a good choice when I purchased it. Of course you could always make one yourself if you didn’t want to spend the money.

I use a jig but I’m also grinding free hand. I find the jig is helping me learn how to grind better without hit if that makes sense.

Thanks again for your interest and please let me know if you have any more questions.
Thank you for this!
-Larry
Hebrews 13:6 So we may boldly say: “The Lord is my helper; I will not fear. What can man do to me?”
MNOSD #0049
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

The Meat man wrote:
Sat Jan 04, 2020 11:37 am
Very clean work LC! You clearly have a lot of talent for knifemaking. :)

What steel did you use for those wharncliffes?

Thank you very much! These were made with 1095 steel. I have some 52100 in the works too.

@liquid_cobra
Jamesdurso

Post by Jamesdurso »

Your knives would be right at home in a sci-fi movie.
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

Jamesdurso wrote:
Wed Jan 22, 2020 2:43 pm
Your knives would be right at home in a sci-fi movie.

Well considering I’m calling myself space monkey knives that’s probably a compliment. 😂

@liquid_cobra
Capt'n Boatsalot

Post by Capt'n Boatsalot »

LC - Beautiful work. I especially like the wharnies - the finger choil looks Street Beat (ish), which I dig. I appreciate the clean lines, and your kydez looks great!

I'm going to be following this thread.
PeaceInOurTime

Post by PeaceInOurTime »

I like the wharncliffes, especially the darkened blade with orange handle.

👍
Liquid Cobra

Post by Liquid Cobra »

I’m worried I’m walking a fine line here sharing information here about the knives I make since this is a Spyderco forum. If this isn’t appropriate please, someone from Spyderco let me know.

So after a lot of thought I decided to change my brand. The cobra thing wasn’t working. I decided to go with something friendlier and more approachable as a knife maker. I plan on making fun colourful designs so the angry venomous snake just wasn’t going to work. Since I’m a huge space nerd and well, monkeys are awesome...

@liquid_cobra