Please Help Me Buy a Flashlight!

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
jdw

Please Help Me Buy a Flashlight!

Post by jdw »

I need a new flashlight but there are so many models and varieties available that I am over-whelmed. I would like something that would make a great light camping/hiking light, preferably with a blue or red filter option to help with night vision. Reliability and battery life are more important to me than a super lumen tactical light. Is this available in the $100 range? Thank you all in advance!!
Do right always. It will give you satisfaction in life.
--Wovoka
bearrowland

Re: Please Help Me Buy a Flashlight!

Post by bearrowland »

It's hard to top an LED Maglite. Batteries last forever and you can't kill them for trying.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

The market is so wide open on high tech flashlights in the past 3 years or so. It seems like almost everyone is trying to establish a presence in the flashlight market. For my EDC flashlight I still use my Surefire E2D Defender model that I've had since 2013. I've got rechargeable 123a Batteries with a Surefire charger and it's been great for all my illumination needs. I also have a Surefire 6PX Pro which also uses those same batteries and it's quite a flamethrower for it's size.

I like Surefire because it was the high tech flashlight that I cut my teeth on. They are still made here in the USA and their customer service is similar to Spyderco's. I've got friends who have recently shown me their new Fenix and Four Sevens models and they are nice as well. I'm sure you'll get a lot more and possibly better recommendations as the thread goes on. I would like to find a new vendor to buy high tech flashlights from. The guy I was getting them from here in KC has quit the business. There are so many good ones to choose from now I really wouldn't even know where to start with the latest innovations.
vivi

Post by vivi »

Fenix PD25 meets your criteria for half your budget, aside from the colored light option.

It's about the size of a bic lighter. Has a secure pocket clip. Waterproof. Can be set to low for when its night time at camp. Has four levels of brightness, from low to super tacticool bright. Strobe function. You can recharge the battery with a micro usb cable.

I carry my pd25 or my larger uc35 every single day.

The interface is simple. Press the tail end button to turn it off or on, tap the side button to change brightness. Hold the brightness button for strobe.

The pocket clip is handy. Outside of the obvious EDC function, you can clip the light to a jacket or shirt collar to light up what you're doing directly in front of you. Or pop off the clip, reverse it and put it further down the body, then you can clip it to a hat.
:unicorn
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

For hiking/camping, I would highly recommend some type of headlamp. I have many flashlights, but the one that I always end up using the most is an inexpensive, base-model Petzl Tikka headlamp. I think I paid ~ $30 for it three or four years ago. Very useful, hands-free, simple on-off, bright enough for me see in the dark.. all around great light. Uses AAA batteries.. battery life has been great on mine, plus I like being able to easily swap out fresh batteries that are readily available just about anywhere. Mine is not, but they do have red-light models as well if that's something you're interested in.

I just did a quick search and found this at REI for $21.93! With a red-light setting. https://www.rei.com/product/109856/petz ... dlamp-2018.
Hahah, I actually just ordered one as a backup!

Anyways.. I'd strongly recommend something like this, even if it's just to supplement whatever you decide your primary light will be.. I can't stress enough how useful I find the hands-free aspect of these headlamps to be, especially for hiking/camping..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
jdw

Post by jdw »

DSH007 wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:21 pm
For hiking/camping, I would highly recommend some type of headlamp. I have many flashlights, but the one that I always end up using the most is an inexpensive, base-model Petzl Tikka headlamp. I think I paid ~ $30 for it three or four years ago. Very useful, hands-free, simple on-off, bright enough for me see in the dark.. all around great light. Uses AAA batteries.. battery life has been great on mine, plus I like being able to easily swap out fresh batteries that are readily available just about anywhere. Mine is not, but they do have red-light models as well if that's something you're interested in.

I just did a quick search and found this at REI for $21.93! With a red-light setting. https://www.rei.com/product/109856/petz ... dlamp-2018.
Hahah, I actually just ordered one as a backup!

Anyways.. I'd strongly recommend something like this, even if it's just to supplement whatever you decide your primary light will be.. I can't stress enough how useful I find the hands-free aspect of these headlamps to be, especially for hiking/camping..
I agree with this a lot. I appreciate the link. I am thinking about snagging one just because they are such a good deal. I have a couple of Petzl headlamps that I use regularly. They both have red filters which kind of led me down the rabbit hole of looking for a flashlight with a light filter as well. It's great to be able to illuminate something without destroying your night vision immediately afterward.
--Wovoka
jdw

Post by jdw »

Vivi wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 11:31 am
Fenix PD25 meets your criteria for half your budget, aside from the colored light option.

It's about the size of a bic lighter. Has a secure pocket clip. Waterproof. Can be set to low for when its night time at camp. Has four levels of brightness, from low to super tacticool bright. Strobe function. You can recharge the battery with a micro usb cable.

I carry my pd25 or my larger uc35 every single day.

The interface is simple. Press the tail end button to turn it off or on, tap the side button to change brightness. Hold the brightness button for strobe.

The pocket clip is handy. Outside of the obvious EDC function, you can clip the light to a jacket or shirt collar to light up what you're doing directly in front of you. Or pop off the clip, reverse it and put it further down the body, then you can clip it to a hat.
I appreciate this. I have looked at this model online and I have wondered if the quality was there. I am pretty sure that DLT also sells colored lens adapters for them. This is looking like a good choice for me.
--Wovoka
jdw

Post by jdw »

duplicates
Last edited by jdw on Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
--Wovoka
jdw

Post by jdw »

Duplicate posts
Last edited by jdw on Thu Nov 14, 2019 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
--Wovoka
jdw

Post by jdw »

nm
--Wovoka
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Any of the major brands should have something that fills your needs...Surefire, Streamlight, Fenix, Inova, 4Sevens, Olight...etc. Check over at Candlepower Forums if you really want the gory details on any light that strikes your fancy.

Maglights just don't cut it anymore for serious work....too big, too heavy, insufficient throw, mediocre battery life while operating. There are much better choices.
PStone

Post by PStone »

Check out the Bushnell TRKR series. They have color option without changing lenses. A bright led, red for night, and blue for tracking blood. Very budget friendly. I have a few of the small ones and have been very impressed with battery life and the abuse they can take. They come in a variety of sizes from pocket size to big ones as big as a 3D Maglite.
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

jdw wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:38 am
I would like something that would make a great light camping/hiking light, preferably with a blue or red filter option to help with night vision. Reliability and battery life are more important to me than a super lumen tactical light.
Like DSH was saying, a headlamp is the way to go. While hiking, you'll be able to aim it at the appropriate angle, and it will illuminate where you're looking. Carrying a flashlight in your hands has the light moving all over the place when you walk. It's the same while in camp, performing chores. A headlamp allows you the use of both hands.

You're right about wanting to limit luminosity. You'll be in the dark looking around and doing things. An excessively bright light might be great if you're trying to poach wildlife, but in real life it can leave you "snow-blind."

And as he was saying, the Petzl Tikka is nice.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

bearrowland wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:51 am
It's hard to top an LED Maglite. Batteries last forever and you can't kill them for trying.
Exactly. :)

And the newer ones are VERY bright too.
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Yes!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

MNOSD member 0032
SF Native

Post by SF Native »

I highly recommend the olight s2r. I think they cost about $70. Fantastic light. Good clip to carry. It comes with lithium ion battery that recharges with a magnet on the bottom. Other end is a usb. The magnet also can be used to stick it to something like a car hood if you needed free hands.
It can get very bright but cycles through several levels of brightness.
One of my favorites is a 1/2 lumen “moonglow” brightness that is great for camping or up at night when you don’t want to wake others.
Size is similar to a roll of pennies or so. Not big.

I like this one so much I got 2. One for house and one for car/work.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

bearrowland wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 9:05 pm
Yes!

I have a few ML300LX's and ML25LT's. :cool:

Very bright. :)
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

The thing that I love about them is that they do a great job, are durable, at a very reasonable price.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

MNOSD member 0032
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

bearrowland wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 7:51 am
The thing that I love about them is that they do a great job, are durable, at a very reasonable price.

Been using them for decades myself. :)
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

If you get LED get COB LED. Much, much brighter.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050