Turkey

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Re: Turkey

Post by Doc Dan »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:08 am
James Y wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:16 am
Turkey and chicken are pretty much the only types of meat I consume anymore. Once in a blue moon I’ll have seafood, but I have to be careful about it. I gave up beef and pork back in 1995.

I like turkey, including ground turkey, etc. It makes a great substitute for beef. The only way I don’t like it is the way it’s prepared at thanksgiving (and sometimes Christmas, which is identical). I’ve never liked the traditional Thanksgiving dinner.
Hey Jim have you ever tried Lamb/Mutton or Bison meat? I've been getting a good deal on both of those types of meat lately and I'm telling you that Lamb is now becoming about my favorite meat. Also ground Bison ( Buffalo Burgers) are far better than beef hamburgers.

Now when it comes to birds>> I've developed a real liking for roast Duck. We have a local grocery chain in this area known as Hy Vee. And the Hy Vee grocers sell a brand of frozen duck called "Maple Leaf Farms". And I'll take one of those ducks any day before I would a chicken or turkey.

And we also have a lot of deer meat here in Missouri as well. And I never turn down deer meat of any variation.
If lamb and mutton are cooked right they are very good. The Greeks know how to do lamb and Indians know how to cook mutton. I get lots of duck these days. It’s very good. Chinese eat. Lot of roast duck and it is right tasty.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Turkey has always been the meat of choice for Thanksgiving in my family. Ham, chicken, beef/pork roast, etc is a-okay for Christmas dinner, but on Thanksgiving, it's turkey only.. anything else is a non-starter. Fortunately, I've always enjoyed turkey, especially the darker meat. I do think that turkey is best though, as leftovers the day after. Cold turkey, salted and dipped in mayo.. or in a sandwich with some leftover cranberry sauce.. delicious!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Exactly!!
Halfneck wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:15 pm
The main reason to have Turkey on Thanksgiving is to cook the Stuffing!!! inside it. While I eat a few slices of turkey, it's the Stuffing I overdose on.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

That sounds delicious!!
Bloke wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:32 pm
Halfneck wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:15 pm
The main reason to have Turkey on Thanksgiving is to cook the Stuffing!!! inside it. While I eat a few slices of turkey, it's the Stuffing I overdose on.
We don’t celebrate Thanksgiving here but I’m hearing you on the stuffing. I can take or leave turkey but my dear mum makes stuffing with pine nuts and whatever else she uses and it’s sensational! :)
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:34 pm
Theon,y way I like turkey is to take one to the local barbecue place and have them smoke it. Still, I’d rather have a salt cured smoked ham any day. And just think of the red eyed gravy you can make with that ham! Yum!
Yeah Doc I know what you mean. Being I'm here in the Kansas City Metro area and of course we are known as one of the Bar BQ capitols of the planet. I have two different Bar BQ joints that will do turkey and other meat items in their smoke pits for a modest fee. And that is a great option.

However with all the hickory and other woods used for Bar BQ and smoking that we have here in Missouri it's not all that hard or expensive to learn to do it yourself. Smoked or Bar BQ Turkey is awesome. Also if you're lucky enough to nail a wild turkey during the Missouri fall Turkey season they are also a great option.
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:08 am
James Y wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:16 am
Turkey and chicken are pretty much the only types of meat I consume anymore. Once in a blue moon I’ll have seafood, but I have to be careful about it. I gave up beef and pork back in 1995.

I like turkey, including ground turkey, etc. It makes a great substitute for beef. The only way I don’t like it is the way it’s prepared at thanksgiving (and sometimes Christmas, which is identical). I’ve never liked the traditional Thanksgiving dinner.
Hey Jim have you ever tried Lamb/Mutton or Bison meat? I've been getting a good deal on both of those types of meat lately and I'm telling you that Lamb is now becoming about my favorite meat. Also ground Bison ( Buffalo Burgers) are far better than beef hamburgers.

Now when it comes to birds>> I've developed a real liking for roast Duck. We have a local grocery chain in this area known as Hy Vee. And the Hy Vee grocers sell a brand of frozen duck called "Maple Leaf Farms". And I'll take one of those ducks any day before I would a chicken or turkey.

And we also have a lot of deer meat here in Missouri as well. And I never turn down deer meat of any variation.
Joe,
I’ve never eaten mutton or bison meat, or deer meat, either. At this point, I probably wouldn’t, as I originally quit beef and pork due to a spiritual practice I was into. Even then, I hadn’t given up poultry, though. Although I stopped with that spiritual practice, I’ve still stayed away from eating any meat from 4-legged animals. I know some people who have tried to go without, say, beef, but within a few days went “crazy” with desire for it. I’m fine, though. The meat I still eat accounts for only a small percentage of what I eat, anyway. And I used to LOVE beef and pork.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

I don't eat much beef and pork these days either.

With all of the issues with beef I am staying away from it, pork, I could always take it or leave it.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

There is a huuuge price differential in meat. I wonder why?
Tims

Post by Tims »

Never been a fan of turkey, it’s about at the bottom of the meats I’d prefer to eat ladder.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Tims wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:16 am
Never been a fan of turkey, it’s about at the bottom of the meats I’d prefer to eat ladder.
Hey Tim, you get Bush Turkeys up where you are?

They’re all over the place here. This one was on the road about 100yrs from the front gate here on my way to work the other day.

A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Tims

Post by Tims »

Bloke wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:36 am
Tims wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:16 am
Hey Tim, you get Bush Turkeys up where you are?

They’re all over the place here. This one was on the road about 100yrs from the front gate here on my way to work the other day.

They’re characters aren’t they? Roving gangs of ‘em up here. They’re protected and it’s as if they know it. They don’t mind stopping traffic to cross a road.

They make a mess of the place, digging up peoples gardens but I like ‘em. We get the odd baby(they’re on their own from birth) find it’s way into the backyard and luckily I’ve managed to get to them before the dogs.

I once had an old indigenous bloke share with me their method of catching them to eat. They ‘fished’ for them with a paperclip on fishing line with a bread ball for bait. Let it swallow the bread and then pull them in.

You get these down your way?

Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

When I was in graduate school many years ago I had a wild turkey that took a liking to me for some reason and followed me around campus like a dog. He even tried to go to class with me and the only way we kept him out was by closing the door in his face. Ha ha Ha ha ha ha ha! That turkey would chase other people but for some reason really like me. Every morning he will wait for me to come out of my apartment and then follow me around the campus and go wherever I went.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Since I've gone ketogenic / low carb ( 3-30-2018 start ), I skip the turkey on Thanksgiving. Last year I got a whole thing of Crispy Pata ( pork leg boiled until tender and then deep-fried until golden and crisp ) from the local Filipino restaurant. Crispy, lots of fat, delicious.
bbturbodad

Post by bbturbodad »

I like it crispy and juicy on BBQ I make a few breasts a month and do the whole bird on Thanksgiving.

-Turbo
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Tims wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:48 am
Hey Tim, sounds the same, the cheeky buggers are everywhere around here. The most I've seen in a gang is five and I've seen them share the footpath with pedestrians. I reckon they're cool and really like them too, but that said they're not rearranging my backyard like they do for one of the boy's here at work.

Yes, we get Muddies down here too but I'm weary of eating them down here because of dioxins in the upper reaches of the harbour. I'm luck though a mate from Townsville sends them down live for us from time to time. He hasn't in a while so I should give him a rev. :)

I don't mind turkey (not Bush Turkey) but I wouldn't give it a second glance if Muddies were on offer. ;)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Tims

Post by Tims »

Bloke wrote:
Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:17 pm
Tims wrote:
Fri Nov 15, 2019 3:48 am
Hey Tim, sounds the same, the cheeky buggers are everywhere around here. The most I've seen in a gang is five and I've seen them share the footpath with pedestrians. I reckon they're cool and really like them too, but that said they're not rearranging my backyard like they do for one of the boy's here at work.

Yes, we get Muddies down here too but I'm weary of eating them down here because of dioxins in the upper reaches of the harbour. I'm luck though a mate from Townsville sends them down live for us from time to time. He hasn't in a while so I should give him a rev. :)

I don't mind turkey (not Bush Turkey) but I wouldn't give it a second glance if Muddies were on offer. ;)
I hear you on water quality, it’s always in the back of my mind when taking fish/crabs to eat.
There are certain waters I fish for sport only. It’s a shame but with the increasing population density on the east coast, it’s a reality.

To be honest I could take or leave muddies and only really get them when somebody else is keen and ropes me in. Theres not much sport in potting them either. I find walking barefoot up a creek at night with a torch and spear more fun.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Ok, but what about the crocs? :eek:

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050