Turkey

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Turkey

Post by Doc Dan »

Thanksgiving is coming and many people are thinking about having turkey. I know how to cook a turkey really well and make it come out juicy and tasty. However I don’t like turkey enough to buy one for myself. I would rather have a chicken or a ham or a big beef roast any day than a turkey. I don’t even hunt them because I don’t like to eat them

What do you all think about turkey? Yay or nay?
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
benben

Re: Turkey

Post by benben »

I'll be married 20 years this year, for the last 20+ years my BIL has deep fried a turkey for Thanksgiving, he's very good at it, they're always good! Well, he recently bought a Char-Broil Big Easy oil-less fryer and has fell in love with it! He said he will NEVER deep fry a turkey again! This thing works great!

My next door neighbor......same exact story, he said it changed the way he'll cook a turkey forever!

https://www.charbroil.com/the-big-easy- ... gJq3vD_BwE
James Y

Post by James Y »

Turkey and chicken are pretty much the only types of meat I consume anymore. Once in a blue moon I’ll have seafood, but I have to be careful about it. I gave up beef and pork back in 1995.

I like turkey, including ground turkey, etc. It makes a great substitute for beef. The only way I don’t like it is the way it’s prepared at thanksgiving (and sometimes Christmas, which is identical). I’ve never liked the traditional Thanksgiving dinner.

Jim
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:52 am
Thanksgiving is coming and many people are thinking about having turkey. I know how to cook a turkey really well and make it come out juicy and tasty. However I don’t like turkey enough to buy one for myself. I would rather have a chicken or a ham or a big beef roast any day than a turkey. I don’t even hunt them because I don’t like to eat them

Oh GOD, you and me both. :cool:

I can start a list of things I would rather eat than turkey.

I can also cook turkey very well too, but there are much better things to eat IMO.

I normally make a chicken for the holidays.

I don't eat a lot of pork anymore nor seafood.

Beef depending on what it is can be very good.
The Meat man

Post by The Meat man »

Roast Turkey, when done well, is delicious. So is roast chicken.

Beef is my favorite meat. Steak, roasts, shredded, dried, whatever. It's the best.

I dislike ham, but other pork cuts like chops are pretty good.
- Connor

"What is a man profited, if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?"
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I love turkey. I usually do another one sometime throughout the year. I inject them with marinade and either fry em up the classic way or use the oil-less fryer.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

benben wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:29 am
I'll be married 20 years this year, for the last 20+ years my BIL has deep fried a turkey for Thanksgiving, he's very good at it, they're always good! Well, he recently bought a Char-Broil Big Easy oil-less fryer and has fell in love with it! He said he will NEVER deep fry a turkey again! This thing works great!

My next door neighbor......same exact story, he said it changed the way he'll cook a turkey forever!

I am a former competitive BBQ cook and have a least 7 grills and smokers here at the house and 2 more towed smokers in the barn...That being said I cook a lot of stuff these days on my 2 Char-Broil Big Easy Smoker/Roaster/Grills. Mine has a fully closable lid unlike the earlier models. Does an amazing job on all poultry, ribs, and everything else I've been lazy enough to throw on it....even does great buffalo wings.

Mine....https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-TRU-I ... B00365FIAS
The Deacon

Post by The Deacon »

I like both turkey and chicken but wasn't going to bother with cooking a turkey this year. Then Publix put their store brand frozen turkeys on sale for 49 cents a pound today, so I broke down and bought a smallish (around 13 lb.) one. :o
Paul
My Personal Website ---- Beginners Guide to Spyderco Collecting ---- Spydiewiki
Deplorable :p
WTC # 1458 - 1504 - 1508 - Never Forget, Never Forgive!
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

"YAY!!!" to turkey. Turkey is a favorite for me, especially during Thanksgiving and Christmas. To me, turkey is traditional for these holidays... it tastes GREAT!

Also, to me, both ham and chicken have their place during Thanksgiving and Christmas. Ham, to me, is traditional and goes hand-in-hand with turkey. Chicken makes for a good addition and/or alternative to turkey. We've had Thanksgiving and Christmas dinners where turkey, ham, and chicken all shared spaces on the dinner table.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

I enjoy it, probably moreso after the holiday as cold cuts. Deep fried is my all time favorite way to eat it Benben! I've had Wild Turkey that way.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
benben

Post by benben »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 2:39 pm
benben wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 10:29 am

I am a former competitive BBQ cook and have a least 7 grills and smokers here at the house and 2 more towed smokers in the barn...That being said I cook a lot of stuff these days on my 2 Char-Broil Big Easy Smoker/Roaster/Grills. Mine has a fully closable lid unlike the earlier models. Does an amazing job on all poultry, ribs, and everything else I've been lazy enough to throw on it....even does great buffalo wings.

Mine....https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-TRU-I ... B00365FIAS
[/q’uote]

You sound like the neighbor I was talking about, he smokes, grills, and deep fries on a grand scale, and all the time for his church and us neighbors. 50 or 60 racks of ribs, 40 or 50 pounds of fish, 200 pork chops, 20 pork butts. He’s retired and this guy can flat out cook, and he loves cooking for people!

Him telling be about how awesome his Big Easy was all I needed to hear, even over my BIL, who also is a good cook, and now you! I see a theme here!
RustyIron

Post by RustyIron »

Doc Dan wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 9:52 am
I don’t even hunt them because I don’t like to eat them
Turkey is over-rated. I don't hunt them because I don't like to kill things. I'll eat them to be polite, but I don't know what all the fuss is about. Give me a chicken, Cornish game hen, tri-tip, cheeseburger, carnitas, or taco.
yablanowitz

Post by yablanowitz »

I like turkey, my girlfriend loves it, but it is one of her worst gout triggers, so we probably won't be having it this year.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

bearrowland wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:56 pm
Deep fried is my all time favorite
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

😂 Right on Bloke!! 😂
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Halfneck

Post by Halfneck »

The main reason to have Turkey on Thanksgiving is to cook the Stuffing!!! inside it. While I eat a few slices of turkey, it's the Stuffing I overdose on.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Halfneck wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:15 pm
The main reason to have Turkey on Thanksgiving is to cook the Stuffing!!! inside it. While I eat a few slices of turkey, it's the Stuffing I overdose on.
We don’t celebrate Thanksgiving here but I’m hearing you on the stuffing. I can take or leave turkey but my dear mum makes stuffing with pine nuts and whatever else she uses and it’s sensational! :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Halfneck wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 8:15 pm
This can be quite dangerous. It’s better to simply make it separately with last years juice or chicken broth.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Theon,y way I like turkey is to take one to the local barbecue place and have them smoke it. Still, I’d rather have a salt cured smoked ham any day. And just think of the red eyed gravy you can make with that ham! Yum!

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Wed Nov 13, 2019 11:16 am
Turkey and chicken are pretty much the only types of meat I consume anymore. Once in a blue moon I’ll have seafood, but I have to be careful about it. I gave up beef and pork back in 1995.

I like turkey, including ground turkey, etc. It makes a great substitute for beef. The only way I don’t like it is the way it’s prepared at thanksgiving (and sometimes Christmas, which is identical). I’ve never liked the traditional Thanksgiving dinner.
Hey Jim have you ever tried Lamb/Mutton or Bison meat? I've been getting a good deal on both of those types of meat lately and I'm telling you that Lamb is now becoming about my favorite meat. Also ground Bison ( Buffalo Burgers) are far better than beef hamburgers.

Now when it comes to birds>> I've developed a real liking for roast Duck. We have a local grocery chain in this area known as Hy Vee. And the Hy Vee grocers sell a brand of frozen duck called "Maple Leaf Farms". And I'll take one of those ducks any day before I would a chicken or turkey.

And we also have a lot of deer meat here in Missouri as well. And I never turn down deer meat of any variation.