Happy Veterans Day

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Happy Veterans Day

Post by Doc Dan »

Happy Veterans Day to all of us who served.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
ChrisinHove

Re: Happy Veterans Day

Post by ChrisinHove »

Rememberance Day here, or Armistice Day, commemorating the end of WW1, the “war to end all wars”, they hoped.

Oh well ....

We wear the red poppy, the first flowers to spring up over the wasted landscape of the western front.
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 8:31 am
Happy Veterans Day to all of us who served.

Yup. :) :spyder:
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:26 am
Rememberance Day here, or Armistice Day, commemorating the end of WW1, the “war to end all wars”, they hoped.

Oh well ....

We wear the red poppy, the first flowers to spring up over the wasted landscape of the western front.
I wondered what those poppies were for.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Happy Veterans Day!!!
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

Yeah, Remembrance Day, with its token poppies, is not for celebrating. It’s akin to American Memorial Day.

I happen to think Veterans Day also ought to be somber, not happy, at least until American veterans who need help can get it without being demeaned or dismissed for asking.

So, fellow veterans, especially combat ones, I share your deep pride in having served. But I can’t find happiness in being merely thanked by those who didn’t serve until they hold government to account, or elect a better one, to get all our brothers and sisters home emotionally.
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
Ankerson

Post by Ankerson »

wrdwrght wrote:
Mon Nov 11, 2019 5:19 pm
Yeah, Remembrance Day, with its token poppies, is not for celebrating. It’s akin to American Memorial Day.

I happen to think Veterans Day also ought to be somber, not happy, at least until American veterans who need help can get it without being demeaned or dismissed for asking.

So, fellow veterans, especially combat ones, I share your deep pride in having served. But I can’t find happiness in being merely thanked by those who didn’t serve until they hold government to account, or elect a better one, to get all our brothers and sisters home emotionally.

I am all for bringing them back home from those places they really shouldn't be in the 1st place.
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Coming from a family who has had a huge military presence for decades now. About 3/4ths of all the male members of my family for the past 3 generations were war veterans of either WW I, WWII, Korea, Viet Nam and even the more recent Gulf Wars.

To all the great Veterans here at Spyderville and the rest of the USA I take my hat off and offer my most sincere appreciation for everything you great soldiers did for the great USA. Enjoy your Special Day troops!!!! :)
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

https://www.vfw.org/about-us

Here is one of many great organizations which serve the United States combat- veteran community, and are in turn a well spring for our members to 'give back' to the veteran, the families, and within communities -- locally and nationally.

I can relate to some of the complaints written here -- but please know that there are forces of good in action, for example in the ongoing rebuilding of the Veteran's Administration, the Fisher House -- there are so many others.

The U.S.Veterans of Foreign Wars is the oldest and largest combat veteran's organization in the free world. -- I proudly serve going on two decades and am a Life Member.
It is because of the VFW that we have the U.S.Veteran's Administration -- we have our work cut out for us!

I have served as well in elected offices ranging from the Post positions, to the District Level as Senior Vice Commander. If you've served and would like to talk openly as well privately, I encourage you to address me and / or look into the out reach of our great resources serving our vets.

Veterans Are Our Business!

Respectfully;
Bruce Gibson; VFW post 5061
SW Denver, District One, Dep't of Colorado.
SkullBouncer

Post by SkullBouncer »

Here's an historic poem on the subject of the Red Poppies; I hope this puts context to some degree, and further answers some curiosities. Things can be easily searched online, and is great for educating upcoming generations in military history.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
Between the crosses, row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

Additional background and a longish, informative and engaging read:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/In_Flanders_Fields
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
SB / BG :cool:
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Don’t get me onto WW1 poetry!

My favourite, by Rudyard Kipling:

“If any question why we died
Tell them, because our fathers lied”

Kipling, hitherto the champion of Empire and boys-own derring-do in his writing, lost his only son.
wrdwrght

Post by wrdwrght »

ChrisinHove wrote:
Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:59 am
Don’t get me onto WW1 poetry!

My favourite, by Rudyard Kipling:

“If any question why we died
Tell them, because our fathers lied”

Kipling, hitherto the champion of Empire and boys-own derring-do in his writing, lost his only son.
An apt post for Remembrance Day, Chris, and for American Memorial Day, too.

Something suitable for Veterans Day is harder to come by. One sentiment that moves me, and explains the churlishness of my earlier post, is:

“Not everyone who lost his life in Vietnam died there. Not everyone who came home from Vietnam ever left there.” Anonymous
-Marc (pocketing an M4 Sage5 today)

“When science changes its opinion, it didn’t lie to you. It learned more.”
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

Cheers Doc and everyone here!
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032