Pork roast

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Pork roast

Post by Doc Dan »

I don’t have an oven. I do have an air frier. I got a 1kg/2.2lbs pork roast, sliced up some potatoes and onions (out of carrots), salt and pepper, then wrapped the whole thing in aluminum foil. I had to take out my basket to get it to fit, but I laid it in the bottom container and turned on the air frier. 90 minutes later I had a roast that was juicy, not dry, and mouth watering.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Tims

Re: Pork roast

Post by Tims »

Thanks Doc, your post motivated me to get up and cook dinner. No time for a roast unfortunately.

Did you fry off or brown your roast first?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

I've found that cooking pork roast is like most other oven roasting I've done. Cook at relatively low temperatures ( 275 to 325) for long hours. I've found I can even get cheaper tough meat to eventually tender up. At one time I used meat tenderizers but I've found other cooking tricks that do just as good without using them. And I like my pork really well done ( not burnt though).

Here in the midwest USA they seem to be growing more leaner pork for the most part. But if you shop around you can find about any grade you desire.

Deer Roast especially off of a should blade or a chunk of the hind quarter is about as good as it gets>> providing you kill your deer where they grow a lot of row crops.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

I usually smoke em, and finish em up in a crock pot.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Tims wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:12 am
Thanks Doc, your post motivated me to get up and cook dinner. No time for a roast unfortunately.

Did you fry off or brown your roast first?
No, I just wrap it in foil and let it cook. I would brown by uncovering it at the last to keep it moist if I was of a mind to.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

prndltech wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 9:26 am
I use a crock pot too. Last week I put a pork roast in the crock pot with potatoes and onions, then added pinto beans when it was nearing done.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

prndltech wrote:
I will take the Bar BQ/smoking option almost every time when I can do it. I have access to a lot of good wood to smoke with here where I live. We have 7 varieties of Hickory here in Missouri and I've used most of them except one. I find the Pignut Hickory to be the Sweetest whereas I find the Shagbark Hickory to have a really bold classic Hickory flavor. You can't go wrong with any pork food Item by smoking or bar bQueing it.

But if smoking is not handy then slow roasting it in a conventional oven can produce some great results if you are patient.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

A big ol pork roast sounds so good right now. Got a cup of coffee and it’s 28*F in Austin, TX right now... Trucks got ice all over it. I don’t want to go to work today!

Also... heaters broken in the shop :mad:
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

We rarely do actual roast around here but what we do make fairly often is something my mother made when I was a kid that I grew to love and it's dirt cheap. Get yourself about 6-8 cheapo pork butt steaks and boil them along with some potatoes and green beans. It's rather bland unless you season it after serving but those steaks come out so tender they fall apart. It's one of my favorite foods.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
bearrowland

Post by bearrowland »

That's how we fix it most of the time we have it too Evil. I'd love to try it deep fried.
Barry

Bonne Journey!

For the word of God is living and powerful, and sharper than any two edged sword

Do what you can, where you are, with what you have! Theodore Roosevelt

MNOSD member 0032
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

prndltech wrote:
I usually smoke em
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

One of the simple secrets I've found to cooking just about any type of roast whether it be pork, beef or venison>> is to rub the meat down with the spices or rubs you like the best. I also coat the meat with extra virgin olive oil and bake it covered at a relatively low temperature for long hours. I usually cook any roast as 275 to 325 for 2.5 to 4 hours depending on how thick it is. Sometimes with big roasts I've gone as long as 4 to 5 hours. I cook them covered until the last 45 minutes then I take the cover off to brown it.

I've never had one fail on me yet using those easy methods. I don't use any meat tenderizers or other chemicals. Just herbs, seasonings and rubs.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

I’ve got another roast in the air fryer. Onions, potatoes, pork roast wrapped in aluminum foil. I took the basket out of the air fryer and laid the roast in the bottom. Smells really good cooking.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:45 pm
I’ve got another roast in the air fryer.
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Bloke wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 10:03 pm
Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 8:45 pm
I’ve got another roast in the air fryer.
Hahaha! Onion instead of apple.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Doc Dan wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 11:13 pm
Hahaha! Onion instead of apple.
I like roast veggies with roast meat too, Doc. :cool:

Hope you’re well and all better now. :)
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Coincidentally we had a "Pork Roast" while watching the Chief's game last night. We put onions, carrots and some other veggies with it. I also used one of my favorite Bar BQ rub powders on it. There is a Bar BQ sauce company known as "Blues Hog". Well their RUB is fabulous on just about anything you use it for. It sure enhanced the flavor.

Now I still think the one tip I've found to make the roast tender is a low even temperature. We cooked it at just about 300 almost all through the cook time. Cooking it for a relatively long time at a low temperature I do believe is the key to a really tender roast whether it be beef, pork or Lamb.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 7:31 am
Now I still think the one tip I've found to make the roast tender is
Doc Dan

Post by Doc Dan »

Hahaha! My dad used to tenderize my butt like that but I don’t think it would do much for the slab of meat.

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
z4vdBt

Post by z4vdBt »

Pork belly for breakfast this morning.