Down the Rabbit Hole......

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
MacLaren

Down the Rabbit Hole......

Post by MacLaren »

Getting back into some long range shooting.
Just got a new GEN ii PST Viper 5-25×50 delivered this a.m.
Will be shooting an FN Herstal PBR XP 300 wsm in an A5 McMillan stock.
Does anyone else go down this rabbit hole too?? :D
Last edited by MacLaren on Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naperville

Re: Down the Rabbit Hole......

Post by Naperville »

I've been chomping at the bit to do long range shooting. On YouTube I follow ELR shooting and Rex Reviews, but I've never taken a course. It's all very interesting.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:00 pm
I've been chomping at the bit to do long range shooting. On YouTube I follow ELR shooting and Rex Reviews, but I've never taken a course. It's all very interesting.
It's very fun.
Just set a target up about 400-500 yards out, figure your dope, and let'er rip!! :D
Man, I wish I were rich, lol, it's very addictive and fun.
The very hardest thing about it all, imho, is finding more than 400 yards to shoot! Too many houses now a days. :(
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

I could VERY easily go down that rabbit hole if I were in the US. I often find myself spending hours gun shopping and I know I can’t even bring one to where I am. If I were up there it would get expensive.

MacLaren, you ever push it out to 600-800? What kind of groupings you think you can get with that new toy at 500?
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:34 pm
I could VERY easily go down that rabbit hole if I were in the US. I often find myself spending hours gun shopping and I know I can’t even bring one to where I am. If I were up there it would get expensive.

MacLaren, you ever push it out to 600-800? What kind of groupings you think you can get with that new toy at 500?
Lance, the furthest I've ever been able to push out was 425 yards, and with a Savage FCP 10 308, and a Vortex PST Viper Scope, it was childs play to be totally honest. Groupings went into a US Fifty Cent piece easily. I would love to push beyond!
I think there is a place about 90 minutes from me, Hawks Ridge that has 1000 yards, but you have to be a member. I'm going investigate this Monday lol.
It's so much fun!!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Lol, I will say this, those darn Savage rifles are DEAD NUTZ brother! I just happen to really love FN and the mod 70 action.
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

Been there, many times. The last build I did was on a savage action, 6.5 creedmore, viper pst 6-24x50.

I don’t shoot much more these days other than hunting. Or handguns.
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

prndltech wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:57 pm
Been there, many times. The last build I did was on a savage action, 6.5 creedmore, viper pst 6-24x50.

I don’t shoot much more these days other than hunting. Or handguns.
That was my first scope. The Gen 1 PST Viper.
Awesome scope!
Surfingringo

Post by Surfingringo »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:54 pm
Surfingringo wrote:

Lance, the furthest I've ever been able to push out was 425 yards, and with a Savage FCP 10 308, and a Vortex PST Viper Scope, it was childs play to be totally honest. Groupings went into a US Fifty Cent piece easily. I would love to push beyond!
I think there is a place about 90 minutes from me, Hawks Ridge that has 1000 yards, but you have to be a member. I'm going investigate this Monday lol.
It's so much fun!!
Yeah man, I figured that setup would be pretty darn tight at 400-500. I’d be interested to see if I could keep em in 4”-6” at 1000. Fun stuff!
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Now imo, is a great time to start. Ammo prices are so low, scopes are low, rifles are low.....
When I bought my first scope, the Gen 1 it was $950? I'm pretty certain of that. Just bought the Gen 2 version for $809!
They were like $11-1200 I think?
At any rate, that's my excuse :D
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Surfingringo wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:02 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 2:54 pm
Surfingringo wrote:

It's so much fun!!
Yeah man, I figured that setup would be pretty darn tight at 400-500. I’d be interested to see if I could keep em in 4”-6” at 1000. Fun stuff!
Ya know Lance, it's been about 7 years.....I know the groups were REALLY tight.
But, yeah man, it would be so cool to shoot to a 1000
Mirage is a factor. And my eyesight ( near sighted ) I'm just not sure....?
But, I would love to try.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 1:10 pm
Naperville wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:00 pm
It's very fun.
Just set a target up about 400-500 yards out, figure your dope, and let'er rip!! :D
Man, I wish I were rich, lol, it's very addictive and fun.
The very hardest thing about it all, imho, is finding more than 400 yards to shoot! Too many houses now a days. :(
500yds is good, but ELR OR XLR, is at 1,000 to 2,500yds. Rex has classes in XLR that he teaches all over the USA. If XLR is something you are interested in, subscribe and "click the bell" to get notifications!

Rex's Training
https://rexdefense.com/

Rex's Podcasts
https://www.rexreviews.org/

Rex Reviews
https://www.youtube.com/user/TiborasaurusRex/videos

Rex Courses
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... 3zc2knuzMF

Rex Sniper 101 Series
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... vDCIcEPxUn

Utah Long Range Shooters
https://www.youtube.com/user/buryceberg/videos
Last edited by Naperville on Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
prndltech

Post by prndltech »

MacLaren wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:08 pm
Now imo, is a great time to start. Ammo prices are so low, scopes are low, rifles are low.....
When I bought my first scope, the Gen 1 it was $950? I'm pretty certain of that. Just bought the Gen 2 version for $809!
Nothing about long range shooting is cheap, either is competitive shooting of any kind
- Shannon

MNOSD 0006
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

prndltech wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:21 pm
MacLaren wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:08 pm
Nothing about long range shooting is cheap, either is competitive shooting of any kind
Yeah.......just sayin all the components are low as they ever will be.
That's why I titled the thread.......down the Rabbit Hole :D
Last edited by MacLaren on Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

Reload your screen, I posted a ton of links
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:26 pm
Reload your screen, I posted a ton of links
Wow! Thank you!
I almost took a class years ago, there was a good one in Va.
They also had one in NC

I'm guessing ELR = Extended Long Range?
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

This discussion brings back some really cool memories. When my Brother got out of the Marine Corp he really got into target shooting on a grand scale. He had a Remington model 40X BR target rifle with a Redfield scope that went nearly out to the end of the barrel I think it was either 36X or 24X it's been so long and he had so many rifles over the years. The barrel was almost 2 inches thick and it was heavy. It was a Remington .22-250 Cal and it was so accurate you could literally group within the diameter of a nickel at 300 yards on a relatively calm day. He did all his own hand loading and did a lot of varmit hunting along with popping prarie dogs at a long range as well.

That was one super accurate gun. My personal favorite caliber for hunting and target shooting is the Win .270 caliber. I've just had the very best luck with that round over the years. Just wonder if any of you guys ever shot a Rem. .22-250 caliber or a Win. .270?
Last edited by JD Spydo on Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:47 pm
This discussion brings back some really cool memories. When my Brother got out of the Marine Corp he really got into target shooting on a grand scale. He had a Remington model 40X BR target rifle with a Redfield scope that went nearly out to the end of the barrel I think it was either 36X or 24X it's been so long and he had so many rifles over the years. It was a .22-250 Cal and it was so accurate you could literally group with the diameter of a nickel at 300 yards. He did all his own hand loading and did a lot of varmit hunting along with popping prarie dogs at a long range as well.

That was one super accurate gun. My favorite caliber for hunting and target shooting is the Win .270 caliber. I've just had the very best luck with that round. Just wonder if any of you guys ever shot a Rem. .22-250 caliber?
I hear ya buddy. Those Marines can shoot!
Lol, especially when they start hand loading, and come up with a master recipe :D
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JD Spydo wrote:
My personal favorite caliber for hunting and target shooting is the Win .270 caliber. I've just had the very best luck with that round over the years. Just wonder if any of you guys ever shot a Rem. .22-250 caliber or a Win. .270?
I may have. I use to shoot everyone's rifles at the ranges. Those are good calibers.
MacLaren

Post by MacLaren »

Naperville wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 6:20 pm
JD Spydo wrote:
My personal favorite caliber for hunting and target shooting is the Win .270 caliber. I've just had the very best luck with that round over the years. Just wonder if any of you guys ever shot a Rem. .22-250 caliber or a Win. .270?
I may have. I use to shoot everyone's rifles at the ranges. Those are good calibers.
Have you got to shoot any if the new Nosler calibers?
I came so close buying a 26 Nosler. CZ makes a nice that is somewhat affordable.