New Carrying Bag? Or Fanny Pack?

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
JD Spydo

New Carrying Bag? Or Fanny Pack?

Post by JD Spydo »

Like many of you I've just taken notice of Spyderco's newest collaboration with the Vanquest company. What they call the "Messenger Bag" is truly a really nice piece of work. I've been intrigued just checking it out. Truly I would like to have one but at this time the price tag will probably keep me from getting one for at least a couple of months or so.

OK now the pragmatic/practical side of me is now coming out. And I don't mean this in any way to be a disparaging remark or put down of Spyderco's newest gear bag at all. However I have 3 Fanny Packs made by Victorinox that have served me very well for the past 10 years or so since I got them. And I've used all 3 of them for a variety gear carrying utility bags for some time now with no complaints.

I've also had many backpacks, wallets and other nylon utility bags and Fanny Packs made by Victorinox and I'm "thumbs Up on all of them. So please someone sell me on why this new "Messenger Bag" would be better or more advantageous than one of my Victorinox Fanny Packs? I've been sold on high end, well constructed Fanny Packs for some time now and I've never found any Fanny Pack I like better than the ones made by Victorinox. But hey if I'm missing something or if this new "Messenger Bag" has certain advantages I'm sure open to listen to what any of you have to say.
James Y

Re: New Carrying Bag? Or Fanny Pack?

Post by James Y »

Joe, a bit OT, but I used to wear fanny packs all the time for years, until maybe 12 years ago. I started hearing lots of fanny pack jokes (not about me, but in general), and became self-conscious about it. I also started wearing cargo pants, so everything I carry ended up in my pockets, anyway. I would still wear one if I was still doing hiking, etc., but for my every day use, I no longer wear one.

I do carry a backpack to work with my work supplies in it. I don’t have a lot of supplies to carry, so it’s mostly for convenience.

Jim
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

JD Spydo wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 3:57 pm
I've been sold on high end, well constructed Fanny Packs for some time now
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

James Y wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:09 pm
Joe, a bit OT, but I used to wear fanny packs all the time for years, until maybe 12 years ago. I started hearing lots of fanny pack jokes (not about me, but in general), and became self-conscious about it. I also started wearing cargo pants, so everything I carry ended up in my pockets, anyway. I would still wear one if I was still doing hiking, etc., but for my every day use, I no longer wear one.

I do carry a backpack to work with my work supplies in it. I don’t have a lot of supplies to carry, so it’s mostly for convenienc
I find my Victorinox fanny packs to be great when going to Gun & Knife shows. A lot of times I'll take other knives and other items to trade at the shows and the fanny packs that Victorinox makes are just as well made as anything Maxpedition for instance.

I don't give a rat's behind what other people think of me>> if I got something that works well then that's what I do. I'm wondering however if this new carrying bag of Spyderco's might have any certain advantages over a traditional Fanny Pack.

As far as Fanny packs being an item to make fun of or something that is not masculine>> they I would dare any of them to go to Jesse Ventura and for them to tell him what a "wussy" he is>> I doubt if Mr. Ventura would take a joke very well at all. And in his survival type videos he's recommended Fanny Packs for all kinds of utility uses. I find them very handy to take fishing too. They make a great tackle box that you can literally wear belted around your waist. Again I find them very functional and handy myself and I don't give a hoot what some jerk with a single digit IQ has to say about them :rolleyes:
James Y

Post by James Y »

JD Spydo wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:05 pm
James Y wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 4:09 pm

I do carry a backpack to work with my work supplies in it. I don’t have a lot of supplies to carry, so it’s mostly for convenienc
I find my Victorinox fanny packs to be great when going to Gun & Knife shows. A lot of times I'll take other knives and other items to trade at the shows and the fanny packs that Victorinox makes are just as well made as anything Maxpedition for instance.

I don't give a rat's behind what other people think of me>> if I got something that works well then that's what I do. I'm wondering however if this new carrying bag of Spyderco's might have any certain advantages over a traditional Fanny Pack.

As far as Fanny packs being an item to make fun of or something that is not masculine>> they I would dare any of them to go to Jesse Ventura and for them to tell him what a "wussy" he is>> I doubt if Mr. Ventura would take a joke very well at all. And in his survival type videos he's recommended Fanny Packs for all kinds of utility uses. I find them very handy to take fishing too. They make a great tackle box that you can literally wear belted around your waist. Again I find them very functional and handy myself and I don't give a hoot what some jerk with a single digit IQ has to say about them :rolleyes:
Yeah, I normally don’t care what other people might think, either. But for some reason I did about this. Anyway, I don’t carry enough stuff on me on a day-to-day basis to need more than what I can carry in my cargo pockets. I also find it more comfortable than having something hanging around my waist. I will say that if I ever needed to start carrying more on a regular basis, I would probably state wearing one again.

Jim
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

From what I've seen on this new Spyderco carrying bag and what little info I've gathered on it I think I would like to have one. I'm seeing where it would have certain advantages over a Fanny Pack. But for that kind of money I want to see one in person. So it might be the next BLADE Show before I can look at one. Unless there is a dealer that can give me a "satisfaction guaranteed" agreement so I could send it back if it didn't serve my needs.

The Victorinox Fanny Packs I have are equipped with two large compartments and with sections zippered off to put certain items in. They are ideal to use for going to shows where you can buy, sell and trade at a show and keep your stuff safe. And like I said earlier these Victorinox units I have make great light weight for fishing and for carrying your fishing tackle without having to carry a clumsy, heavy tackle box. If I was a black powder hunter I would definitely use one for black powder gear.

Also I'm wondering if anyone knows how weather proof this new Spyderco bag might be?
Michael Janich

Post by Michael Janich »

Hey, JD:

Here is a list of the full specs on the bag from Vanquest's web site. I highlighted the bullet mentioning that it's treated to be water repellant.

Stay safe,

Mike

NEW: Structured front flap with low profile MOLLE-Air and Hypalon light mount
NEW: Ambidextrous & Collapsible side water bottle pocket with low profile Hypalon MOLLE-Air panel
NEW: Quilted full Loop lined panels inside Main and CCW Compartment for accessory attachment, now padded divider compatible
NEW: Enhanced access to CCW/accessory back pocket
NEW: Ergonomic Non-slip, adjustable shoulder pad
NEW: Tough 1000-D on the bottom lightweight 500-D CORDURA for the body
Net Weight: 2.65 pounds | 1202 grams
Exterior Size: 11" (H) x 16" (W) x 6" (D)
Main Compartment (Interior): 10" (H) x 14" (W) x 5.5" (D)
Padded sleeve in main compartment for tablet / laptop up to 13" (9.5” H x 12.5” W x 1” D)
Fully padded quilted loop lined main compartment for attachment
High-visibility, lightweight & moisture resistant 210-D Ripstop nylon interior
Rear compartment for a tablet / laptop up to 13" (9.5” H x 12” W x 1” D)
Improved padded top grab handles
22 organizing compartments and slots
Ambidextrous design
Luggage handle pass through with zippered pocket
MOLLE/PALS spec panels for accessory attachment
Materials: 1,000-D Mil-grade Cordura® fabric on the bottom and 500-D for the body treated with Durable Water Repellant
Genuine MADE-IN-USA MultiCam-Black Cordura® by Crye Precision™
Durable RC-Class YKK® lockable zippers, reversed for protection
Hypalon & Loop faced MOLLE-Air structure for MOLLE accessory attachment
Mil-grade ITW® and UTX-Duraflex® hardware made from high tensile strength Acetal polymer
Spartan molded zipper loops
High tensile strength nylon webbings and binding tapes
Finished with high tensile strength bonded nylon thread
bearfacedkiller

Post by bearfacedkiller »

I won’t go hunting without a fanny pack. They are super handy. Other than that I find that I am able to carry everything I need in my pockets.
-Darby
sal wrote:Knife afi's are pretty far out, steel junky's more so, but "edge junky's" are just nuts. :p
SpyderEdgeForever wrote: Also, do you think a kangaroo would eat a bowl of spagetti with sauce if someone offered it to them?
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

JD - messenger bags are typically more for laptops, large note/legal pads, documents, office supplies, that sort of thing.. larger items that are unlikely to fit in a fanny pack. Some messenger bags are certainly more "tactical" than others, with the ccw options, etc. Whether or not they are useful to you depends entirely upon what you need to carry..
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

DSH007 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:31 am
JD - messenger bags are typically more for laptops, large note/legal pads, documents, office supplies, that sort of thing.. larger items that are unlikely to fit in a fanny pack. Some messenger bags are certainly more "tactical" than others, with the ccw options, etc. Whether or not they are useful to you depends entirely upon what you need to carry..
Well this is interesting on one hand but yet baffling on the other. I wonder why a big name knife company would want to make a utility carrying bag for laptop computers :confused:
And yes I did notice that new Carrying Bag of Spyderco's could obviously carry bigger items in it>> whereas a fanny pack would be restricted to most small hardware items.
Victorinox also has a shoulder type bag that has some similarities to the new Spyderco bag. Well I'm sure going to examine the potential advantages that this new bag would have to offer.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:07 am
DSH007 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:31 am
Well this is interesting on one hand but yet baffling on the other. I wonder why a big name knife company would want to make a utility carrying bag for laptop computers :confused:
And yes I did notice that new Carrying Bag of Spyderco's could obviously carry bigger items in it>> whereas a fanny pack would be restricted to most small hardware items.
Victorinox also has a shoulder type bag that has some similarities to the new Spyderco bag. Well I'm sure going to examine the potential advantages that this new bag would have to offer.
That's where all of the bag makers seem to be heading because it's apparently what a majority of consumers want in a technological world.. I don't necessarily agree with it because I don't often carry a computer around outside of work, but there must be a very high demand for it because you're hard-pressed to find any new bag these days without dedicated laptop storage..

Backpacks too. I was looking to buy a new day-pack recently to take with me when I hike.. something small for a water bottle, some snacks, maybe a jacket, etc.. Let me tell you, trying to find a backpack these days WITHOUT dedicated laptop storage is VERY difficult. I settled on a nice Osprey Daylite pack that was on sale at a really good price.. even that has a dedicated laptop compartment, but it is very unobtrusive compared with other more bulky designs. Haha who needs a laptop out in the woods?! All the makers seem to include them now though..

I do understand the dedicated laptop storage on a messenger bag though.. Many people need computers for their jobs. I have used messenger bags for work and they definitely do come in handy for transporting laptops and documents while on business trips, to and from meetings, while working from home, etc. They certainly have a place for some people..
Rick H.

abbazaba

Post by abbazaba »

I'm more of a backpack guy, and never did find a messenger bag more appropriate/comfortable for my uses. I understand the convenience of a fanny pack more so, but generally prefer a backpack as small and light as possible for the need.

Still addicted to these: viewtopic.php?t=82944#p1314036
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

abbazaba wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:50 pm
I'm more of a backpack guy, and never did find a messenger bag more appropriate/comfortable for my uses. I understand the convenience of a fanny pack more so, but generally prefer a backpack as small and light as possible for the need.

Yeah I'm beginning to think that I might just opt for a really good back pack instead of a Messenger Bag. What I'm finding interesting in the past two years is just about all the stores in my area have signs stating that you are not allowed to come into the store with a back pack on. The Grocery store I go to will let you check it in at the Customer Service counter. But some stores are just outright mean and demanding about it :confused:
Naperville

Post by Naperville »

JD Spydo wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:07 pm
abbazaba wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:50 pm

Yeah I'm beginning to think that I might just opt for a really good back pack instead of a Messenger Bag. What I'm finding interesting in the past two years is just about all the stores in my area have signs stating that you are not allowed to come into the store with a back pack on. The Grocery store I go to will let you check it in at the Customer Service counter. But some stores are just outright mean and demanding about it :confused:
Vanquest's web site has the same bag without the Spyderco logo. I rarely carry enough to warrant a messenger bag, but it is really nice.
I support the 2nd Amendment Organizations of GOA, NRA, FPC, SAF, and "Knife Rights"
T2T: https://tunnel2towers.org; Special Operations Wounded Warriors: https://sowwcharity.com/
Doc Dan
Location: In a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity.

Post by Doc Dan »

I used to carry a fanny pack for CCW, a Galco. No longer. Most things fit in my pocket. If I am teaching or speaking somewhere I have a briefcase bag that will hold books and computer. Nowadays I am more likely to carry a shoulder badg for my iPad. Usually I just dump everything in my pockets and have been known to stuff my iPad behind my waistband.
I Pray Heaven to Bestow The Best of Blessing on THIS HOUSE, and on ALL that shall hereafter Inhabit it. May none but Honest and Wise Men ever rule under This Roof! (John Adams regarding the White House)

Follow the Christ, the King,
Live pure, speak true, right wrong, follow the King--
Else, wherefore born?" (Tennyson)

NRA Life Member
Spydernation 0050
JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Doc Dan wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:01 am
I used to carry a fanny pack for CCW, a Galco. No longer. Most things fit in my pocket. If I am teaching or speaking somewhere I have a briefcase bag that will hold books and computer. Nowadays I am more likely to carry a shoulder badg for my iPad. Usually I just dump everything in my pockets and have been known to stuff my iPad behind my waistband.
That's a good point Doc. Because in the warmer months here where I live I wear cargo shorts most of the time and I utilize virtually all of the pockets and there's only about two times out of the whole summer I'm needing a fanny pack, back pack or shoulder pack >> with the exception of when I go to Gun & Knife shows. Again I do love those bigger Victorinox fanny packs for using to carry my fishing tackle with instead of a clumsy tackle box. Because where I fish a lot I actually go through a lot of wooded areas to get to where I fish at.

On a good point I do like the fact that these companies are making better carrying gear and utility gear. Because if I do end up moving to the Missouri Ozarks like I plan on in a couple of years I'm probably going to need all this type of gear I can get my hands on. I'm going to pay attention to what people have to say about this new bag that Spyderco is selling. Because if there are some unique viable uses for it I might just get one anyway.

But at this present time my Victorinox gear is working just fine and it's all paid for :D
Tims

Post by Tims »

I haven’t thought of bum bags in probably 15 years.

Great for fishing, I used to always use one when walking the sand flats or bush bashing for bass. Handful of lures or flies, pliers and leader.

Out in the real world they are the ultimate in f*ck you style. A bit like a mullet haircut. Combining the two will drop panties for miles.....
Evil D

Post by Evil D »

Fanny packs are coming back and I really am surprised. I even went to see a band a few months ago and ran into all the band members in a club before the show and they were all wearing them. It kinda makes sense though because most of them were wearing lightweight basketball shorts and carrying a cell phone and keys and whatever else in those kinds of shorts is a nightmare.

I tend to pack a little on the heavier side so I have a 5.11 sling pack that goes everywhere with me, if it's not on my back it's at least in the car with me. It's the perfect size for all the crap I carry with me for work.
All SE all the time since 2017
~David
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Tims wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 2:23 am
I haven’t thought of bum bags in probably 15 years.

Great for fishing, I used to always use one when walking the sand flats or bush bashing for bass. Handful of lures or flies, pliers and leader.

Out in the real world they are the ultimate in f*ck you style. A bit like a mullet haircut. Combining the two will drop panties for miles.....
HAHAH! I just straight-up laughed out loud at my work reading this! Awkward stares all around..

:)
Rick H.

JD Spydo

Post by JD Spydo »

Evil D wrote:
Fri Nov 08, 2019 7:08 am
Fanny packs are coming back and I really am surprised. I even went to see a band a few months ago and ran into all the band members in a club before the show and they were all wearing them. It kinda makes sense though because most of them were wearing lightweight basketball shorts and carrying a cell phone and keys and whatever else in those kinds of shorts is a nightmare.

I tend to pack a little on the heavier side so I have a 5.11 sling pack that goes everywhere with me, if it's not on my back it's at least in the car with me. It's the perfect size for all the crap I carry with me for work.
It is interesting to see how trends tend to come and go. But in the past 3 years or so I've seen a lot of talk about fanny packs in several of the survival/prepper communities. I've been using them to go to the knife/gun shows ever since I got my first units back in the late 90s.

To me if something has pragmatic/practical uses and serves my purposes I don't care what anyone else thinks. I find them a lot less cumbersome than back packs or shoulder packs>> but I will use them if a fanny pack won't hold all the items I need for a given job or event.

I was chatting with a friend of mine yesterday who I hadn't spoke to in a while and the fanny pack subject came up. He said he just bought him and his wife a couple of them made by "Patagonia". I first got introduced to the Patagonia Company all the way back to my distance running days. The quality of any of their clothing or other items is top notch.