Ultrasonic Cleaner

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
Bloke

Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by Bloke »

I was recently gifted a new, unused, industrial quality Ultrasonic Cleaner.

I know nothing about them but can’t help thinking it would be handy for cleaning dried thread locker from knife screws, pivots, posts, etc. (?).

Hope someone may be able to offer some advice and perhaps shed some light? :)
A day without laughter is a day wasted. ~ Charlie Chaplin
SteveMidwest

Re: Ultrasonic Cleaner

Post by SteveMidwest »

Hi Bloke.
That's a fantastic gift!
Does it have a stainless steel mesh basket, that can hang in the interior?
Water Bug

Post by Water Bug »

Depending on the model and its intended design purpose, I know ultrasonic cleaners are used in cleaning jewelry and technical pens.
Spyderco WTC #1044

“Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it.” George Santayana, The Life of Reason: The Phases of Human Progress, 1905 to 1906

NEVER FORGET!!!
knivesandbooks

Post by knivesandbooks »

There's some guys over in the traditional part of bladeforums who use the ultrasonic cleaners for eye glasses on their traditional knives that can't be taken apart to clean.
Christ is risen from the dead, trampling down death by death, and on those in the tombs bestowing life!
W7H2O

Post by W7H2O »

I wonder if it will clean the Sharpmaker stones.
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Hey Bloke, give it a try on your choppers. :p
PSquared

Post by PSquared »

Ultrasonics are great. I have a small one as used by optometrists. They will take the paint off pocket clips and chrome plating off brass (on my diving regulators) if there is a chip.

Whilst I have put automatic watches in them it isn't recommended and be careful with your sunnies if the coating is starting to blister.

Yours sounds much more powerful than mine so could potentially clean better but also do more unintended damage.
ChrisinHove

Post by ChrisinHove »

Don’t do your emeralds or pearls.
kwakster

Post by kwakster »

Also in general don't try to clean aluminium objects in it.

As a test: put a piece of aluminium foil in the basket, turn the machine on, and watch what happens (it won't hurt the machine)
If your machine is powerful enough it will create a random pattern of tiny holes in the alufoil.
Cambertree

Post by Cambertree »

Nice score Bloke. :)
knivesandbooks wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 4:49 pm
There's some guys over in the traditional part of bladeforums who use the ultrasonic cleaners for eye glasses on their traditional knives that can't be taken apart to clean.
Yeah, one of my hobbies is fixing up and sharpening old traditional knives and axes - those with no special historical age or value, of course.

It’s amazing how much detritus comes out of a small slipjoint even with just a bath in hot water and mild soap.

I tend to just use the cheap white vinegar and wire brush method to scrub off heavy rust, then neutralise with bicarb. But I’ve always been curious how much rust would be removed in one of those ultrasonic baths.

Looking forward to hearing more, when you try it out, Bloke.
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Hi Bloke, in my Trade as Jeweler, we use them constantly.
DON'T use it without liquid OR anything in bowl.
They need something in bowl to work on, if not, the transducer will eat through the bottom of bowl, pretty quickly (hours).
Best used in a sound proof cupboard or use earplugs.
Will cause tinnitus long term.
I use Dixon's carpet cleaner as detergent with hot water, or simply put in handy Andy. Any thing with ammonia.

DO NOT put fingers in even briefly when operating.

They work by creating micro bubbles which burst against metal therefore creating a scrubbing action.(cavitation)
Great for blowing out grease etc, which is why they will quickly destroy Emeralds as they are ALL filled with wax to mask inclusions...
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:03 am
Hi Bloke.
That's a fantastic gift!
Does it have a stainless steel mesh basket, that can hang in the interior?
Hi Steve, Yes, pretty cool gift and it does have a suspended basket.

Hopefully I’ll find a use for it. :)

W7H2O wrote:
Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:06 pm
I wonder if it will clean the Sharpmaker stones.
Hi W7, I saw a YouTube clip where someone did clean white SharpMaker stones, though I don’t know how well it worked. :)

Tdog wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 12:40 am
Hey Bloke, give it a try on your choppers. :p
No way, T!

How long would I have to hold my breath ... drown for sure mate! Ah, hahaha! :eek: :p

Many Thanks everyone for all the tips. Glad to know I shouldn’t put my fingers in it while it’s working. :cool:

Anyhow, I don’t really have anything to clean with it yet but I’ll give it a go next time a disassemble a knife, see how that goes and report back. What solutions to use seem to be the trickiest bit. I wonder if you could clean G10 scales? I did see a YouTube clip were a fellow cleaned a Chris Reeve Insingo that seemed to go fairly well particularly cleaning the titanium scales. :)
Tdog

Post by Tdog »

Remove basket, add 3 oz. favorite tequila, 2oz. lime juice. 1 oz simple syrup. Add crushed ice and run for 30 seconds. Pour into glass rimmed with salt and add a float of Cointreau. Very clean :D
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

On the solution subject, don't use any volatile fluids.
No kerosene, diesel, etc.
They can (will) explode.

I do use Kero. for removing larget amounts of Tripoli polishing compound.
This is Tallow and Aluminium oxide, which is quite greasy so benefits from a pre soak in kerosene.(separate container)
If you make a wire hoop across bowl, stuff can be hung off this on hooks.
Ensure objects don't get too close to bottom, or bowl will quickly get eaten away...
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

I use Simple Green cleaner diluted 60/40 with water. Works very well on firearms components.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

Tdog wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:43 pm
Remove basket, add 3 oz. favorite tequila, 2oz. lime juice. 1 oz simple syrup. Add crushed ice and run for 30 seconds. Pour into glass rimmed with salt and add a float of Cointreau. Very clean :D
Ah, hahaha! Sounds cool T, all except for the Cointreau. :eek:

If we ever have a Got Drunk thread I’ll tell you about it there. Ah, hahaha! :o
kiwisailor wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:00 pm
On the solution subject, don't use ...
Thanks Wayne! I take it solutions need to be non combustible and water soluble.

If I were to use kero prior to the ultrasonic cleaner do I need to wash it off before hand? Would a few residual drops matter? :)
OldHoosier62 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:16 pm
I use Simple Green cleaner diluted 60/40 with water. Works very well on firearms components.
Thanks Jim! I works out the local hardware store sells Simple Green so that’s a plus. :cool:

Do you clean fired cases? I haven’t shot in a while but I will again and I’d like to try cleaning cases. I’ve seen a few YouTube kooks cleaning cases with ultrasonic cleaners with various results. All seem to be experimenting with different homemade solutions. Primarily vinegar, water and a little detergent and I saw someone use Lemi Shine too which leaves cases shiny but never seems to completely clean the entire case and leaves primer residue in the pocket.
OldHoosier62

Post by OldHoosier62 »

Bloke wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:04 pm
Tdog wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:43 pm
Ah, hahaha! Sounds cool T, all except for the Cointreau. :eek:

If we ever have a Got Drunk thread I’ll tell you about it there. Ah, hahaha! :o
kiwisailor wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:00 pm
On the solution subject, don't use ...
Thanks Wayne! I take it solutions need to be non combustible and water soluble.

If I were to use kero prior to the ultrasonic cleaner do I need to wash it off before hand? Would a few residual drops matter? :)
OldHoosier62 wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:16 pm
Thanks Jim! I works out the local hardware store sells Simple Green so that’s a plus. :cool:

Do you clean fired cases? I haven’t shot in a while but I will again and I’d like to try cleaning cases. I’ve seen a few YouTube kooks cleaning cases with ultrasonic cleaners with various results. All seem to be experimenting with different homemade solutions. Primarily vinegar, water and a little detergent and I saw someone use Lemi Shine too which leaves cases shiny but never seems to completely clean the entire case and leaves primer residue in the pocket.
For fired cases I use a dry media tumbler with corncob media and a teaspoon of powdered jewelers rouge. There are lots of other ways/formulas but this has worked for me for 40+ years. Just google "brass tumbler".
kiwisailor

Post by kiwisailor »

Yes, remove as much Kerosene as possible, otherwise it will slow down ultrasonic cleaning.
I just rinse items in strong detergent separately.
For small batches where you are probably tossing solution out each day it won't make much difference.
It is the hot water which does 90℅ of cleaning.
Great for cleaning out jets in carburetors.
Bloke

Post by Bloke »

OldHoosier62 wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 12:00 pm

For fired cases I use a dry media tumbler with corncob media and a teaspoon of powdered jewelers rouge. There are lots of other ways/formulas but this has worked for me for 40+ years. Just google "brass tumbler".
I do the same, but I'll try the UC cleaner down the track. :)
kiwisailor wrote:
Thu Nov 07, 2019 1:17 pm
Yes, remove as much Kerosene as possible, otherwise it will slow down ultrasonic cleaning.
I just rinse items in strong detergent separately.
For small batches where you are probably tossing solution out each day it won't make much difference.
It is the hot water which does 90℅ of cleaning.
Great for cleaning out jets in carburetors.
:cool: :)