Three Rivers Manufacturing Neutron

If your topic has nothing to do with Spyderco, you can post it here.
DSH007

Three Rivers Manufacturing Neutron

Post by DSH007 »

I just joined the waiting list for the next batch of the TRM Neutron. By all accounts, they seem to be great little knives. This will be my first non-Spyderco in a while and I'm actually pretty excited for it, but I hope that I'll be able to get myself used to using a thumb-stud again..

Anyone here have a Neutron? How long did it take to get once you got on the wait list? What are your overall impressions?

I did a little research and it seems that, for all intents and purposes, TRM and Halpern Titanium are one in the same. Halpern makes Mule Team and Swick scales for Spyderco. Pretty cool connection there! TRM is also located in Massachusetts.. opposite part of the state from me, but still neat to be able to support a company and buy and carry a well-made knife that is not just made in the USA, but in my home state as well!

Anyways.. Looking forward to hearing about your thoughts and experiences with the Neutron! Thanks!
Rick H.

..well, that escalated quickly..
SteveMidwest

Re: Three Rivers Manufacturing Neutron

Post by SteveMidwest »

Hi Rick. It really is a great knife!
Marianne will keep you up to date, via email. On when to expect your number to come up.

I got one of the first ones, and thought it was very well made. Though after handling it for a few minutes. I realized that it was just going to be too small for me. So I set it off to the side, just about the time that their Atom knife was coming to life. So once on the Atom wait list. I sold my red scaled Neutron.

Here is a picture of that Neutron here, along side a Manix 2 of mine.

Nice marmot

Post by Nice marmot »

I love my neutron. It and the atom have been my most carried knives since I got both a couple days apart in June. The neutron I bought on Bladeforums and the atom I just got lucky and ordered on trm’s website. The atom showed in stock one day so I just ordered it. Marianne e-mailed me immediately, apologized that it was a computer glitch and said my name would be added to the next batch. A couple days later it just showed up. The action on both is terrific and it took me no time at all to get used to the thumb studs. Ergonomically in the hand sure they are not as good as my Para 3s or Para 2 but with basically identical blade lengths and much better profile in the pocket it has pretty much displaced both. I wouldn’t consider them nearly as hard use as the para but they are super slicey. I can easily recommend both.
zippifish

Post by zippifish »

Never had a Neutron but owned the Atom, wasn't my cup of tea and sold it. I think some of the Youtubers make the Neutron and the Atom out to be more than what they are and I probably had unrealistic expectations for the knife but ended up a bit underwhelmed. The handle was thinner than what I like and hated the thumb studs, there is a reason TRM is selling O-rings to fit around them. The action on it was nowhere near as smooth as say my Para 3 or ZT 0562 which runs on bearings. Quality wise I think they pretty much worth it for what they are asking and they are a good American Knife Company.

Was thinking of getting on the current waiting list for the Neutron because I need a smaller knife that looks less tactical than the Para 3, have a Spydiechef coming and if I like it I'll probably buy the Techno 2, if not a ZT 0450TI, Sage 5 or bite the bullet and find a used small CRK Sebenza which any of those options I know I'd like more than the Neutron. The Neutron and Atom are great looking knives and the gentleman I sold the Atom to loves it.
Last edited by zippifish on Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

Thanks for the replies! Glad to hear (mostly) praise for the Neutron!

The Atom looks awesome as well, but I chose to go with the Neutron (at least to begin with) because I normally tend to prefer more midsize carry options. As much as I like to think I need the biggest, baddest knives, most of my knife-carrying during the week is in a quiet office these days. The Neutron seems perfectly suitable for this environment.. I'll save my larger knives for my weekend hikes!

Steve, thanks for sharing the pic - the size looks just about perfect for my general uses. Nice DLT Manix, btw.. I carried my on Wed and got some awkward glances in the office when I used it to cut up a carrot haha.. Nobody there really "cares" that I carry a knife.. but they definitely don't get it either.. The smaller ones seem to scare them less.

Marmot, thanks for your assessment, especially with regard to the size/blade length/ergos vs the Para 2/3. It's pretty much in line with how I feel (or think I will feel) about the Neutron, without having ever actually handled one..

Zippifish, I hear you on the thumb studs - I got into Spyderco about two years ago and kind of had a "once you go thumbhole opener, you don't go back.." moment. I've bought two non-Spyderco knives since then - one was a Benchmade mini-grip with thumbhole opener, and the other was a ZT 0566, which is an assisted flipper. So I've not carried a knife with a dedicated thumb stud opener in quite a while.. I'm hoping that I like the Neutron well enough to overcome the thumb studs..

Overall though, I'm really looking forward to receiving my Neutron! I ordered the "black linen micarta." Saw it in a review and it looks much better than the stock photos online. I also think it's awesome that TRM lets you order additional scales for their knives. I will probably pick up a few scales in different colors/materials..

Haha, if you haven't noticed, I'm pretty excited about this knife! Anyways.. I appreciate you guys taking the time to respond. Thanks again!
Rick H.

SteveMidwest

Post by SteveMidwest »

Make sure you update us here, DSH007. When yours does come in. We'd like to hear your thoughts on it then, too. :)
DSH007

Post by DSH007 »

SteveMidwest wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:24 am
Make sure you update us here, DSH007. When yours does come in. We'd like to hear your thoughts on it then, too. :)
Thanks Steve, will do!

I think I saw TRM post on their social media that they should be coming "in December." Not sure if that's the beginning or end of the month.. hopefully sooner than later! Hopefully I'll receive more details soon..
Rick H.